Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians (13850 Views)

Abuja Aka Roc City, The City Built By Nigerians Not The British!! / United States Of America Vs United Kingdom / What Do You Think Of America? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by onyewuche(m): 12:40pm On Dec 04, 2012
Where in america do you reside bro?

quote author=tosrich]

Bro, I live in America and most of the things you wrote are not the case in the state I live.... let me start with food, In the state I am, food is the cheapest thing you can ever think of and it does'nt cost much get your house filled up with food stuffs and other groceries.

The issue of racism is not an excuse, a lot of Nigerian here are making it big and doing white colar job in multi-national companies.

America is a land of opportunity where you can be what you wanna be without any limitation.
That you have to work for 58hrs per week before you can have a three square meal is a far from the truth...

pls. do your homework well before you post unverifiable information...[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by lynton(m): 12:41pm On Dec 04, 2012
Ugosample: Who are you telling this cock and bull story? So the people in Nigeria arent enough to develop Nigeria? America is not heaven, you work for everything you get which is good because a country is built with hardwork, not llaziness like many youths in Nigeria exhibit. Life is all about choices, if you appreciate hard work, them amerrica is the right place for you, but if you appreciate mediocrity, connections, etc, then Nigeria is a perfect place for you!

Whoever is saying that Nigerian youths are lazy is simply A compound and clinical fool. A country where the youths are solely on their without any cover from government will definitely make them idle. With millions of youths turning out from school on yearly basis without any corresponding plan on ground by the government will not help Nigerian youths to reach their potentials in life. Is time we speak out for our right.
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by deltaforce7(m): 12:49pm On Dec 04, 2012
There really are a huge gap between life in America and Nigeria. United States of America has been buil
t over a period of about 200 years. Nigeria is still growing. Oh, yes we have to learn from the mistakes of others to learn faster than those others did but to lascerate the country at the slightest provocation is most uncharitable. I have read many unprintable things people say about our country. However, it remains truth that it is the only country we can call our own.

United States of America, as a today offer better prospects to life . That is truth. Howevere, I know there is light at the far end of d tunnel. Nigeria will work again!

2 Likes

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by dasparrow: 12:53pm On Dec 04, 2012
Ofonagoro :
Nigerians often thin the ANYWHERE is better than Nigeria and that the ideal place to be is America. Nigerians you have thought WRONG
1. There aren't any jobs
2. It's not a land of Money on the streets
3. You have to work at least 58 hrs/wk to afford a decent living
4. Racism is a major issue
5. America is not the best country in the world
6. People are suffering. some people don't even see a meal to eat. People are becoming poorer taxes are getting higher job openings are getting smaller its not the ideal place to be [size=24pt]nothing is FREE everything has a catch especially in the U.S.[/size] Nigerians need to stop patronizing countries they dont belong to and need to stay in Nigeria and make a change and [size=20pt]stop being negative.[/size]

You have spoken well. May God bless you for telling the truth. Many Nigerians here abroad don't like telling the truth because they want to come home and brag to their gullible family members and friends in Nigeria who have not had the opportunity to travel out. I make it a point of duty to educate Nigerians who have never lived abroad. I tell them as it is just as you are doing now. It is up to them to listen and take heed or brush off what I am telling them and face the music when they get there.

The good thing about abroad is the exposure one gets. I also think that their higher education is superior to ours in Nigeria. I also like the fact that light and water is constant and there is a level of orderliness in the society. However, there are a lot of negative aspects to America as well as you have already highlighted. I think that America is not the best country for black folks but then again, most white countries aren't healthy environments for black folks anyway due to the prevalent and never ending racism, hostility and scorn one faces except if one lives in a black racially segregated neighborhood.

In America, I hate the fact that one does not get off on December 24 or 26 (at least not at my job.) One does not get Easter Monday off in America. America does not celebrate boxing day (December 26) either. One does not get New year's eve off. I work my full 8 hours on Christmas and New years eve. It is hard to take off from work when need be. One hardly sees the money one earns due to high taxes.

American employers also continue to cut wages. See link to the NY Times article: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/14/business/economy/14income.html?pagewanted=all

Another article highlighting American employers in America cutting jobs from Bloomberg weekly: http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2008-11-11/in-a-downturn-employers-cut-jobs-rather-than-pay

If Nigerians were smart and bright (which many are not) they will thank you for opening this thread. However, I know they won't because they are used to learning things the hard way so let them continue to wallow in their ignorance.

6 Likes

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by doveweed(m): 1:18pm On Dec 04, 2012
Ugosample: Who are you telling this cock and bull story? So the people in Nigeria arent enough to develop Nigeria? America is not heaven, you work for everything you get which is good because a country is built with hardwork, not llaziness like many youths in Nigeria exhibit. Life is all about choices, if you appreciate hard work, them amerrica is the right place for you, but if you appreciate mediocrity, connections, etc, then Nigeria is a perfect place for you!
We need every Nigerian alive to believe in this country and make it work. Though i agree with you that America is not heaven as some would like to make it look like one, but i totally disagree with you that Nigerian youths are lazy. Nigerian youths are hardworking and very resourceful, only that Nigerian leaders are clueless as to how to harness the abundant and rich potential of the teeming youth population.
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Nobody: 1:22pm On Dec 04, 2012
tosrich:

Bro, I live in America and most of the things you wrote are not the case in the state I live.... let me start with food, In the state I am, food is the cheapest thing you can ever think of and it does'nt cost much get your house filled up with food stuffs and other groceries.

The issue of racism is not an excuse, a lot of Nigerian here are making it big and doing white colar job in multi-national companies.

America is a land of opportunity where you can be what you wanna be without any limitation.
That you have to work for 58hrs per week before you can have a three square meal is a far from the truth...

pls. do your homework well before you post unverifiable information...

What! I am a resident of America and I reside in the Bronx I'm seeing it all first hand so please. Where do you reside?
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Image123(m): 1:31pm On Dec 04, 2012
Ofonagoro :

I'm coming back next July when my house in Abuja will be done.
hmmm, OP dey build house for Abuja with which money na. You no want more nigerians to build house for Abuja ko? Monopoly business man, make we come bi your tenants instead of to go amerinka.

1 Like

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by elampiro(m): 1:31pm On Dec 04, 2012
I know America is not what it used to be, and appeared to be getting worse. Apart from France and Germany, same is happening in Europe. I have friends and family members all over.
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by lordGrad: 1:39pm On Dec 04, 2012
E no mean, if I get chance, I go still cut comot from here
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by muffins99(f): 1:50pm On Dec 04, 2012
There is no absolute right or wrong to this argument. America will suit some people and Nigeria will suit others. The fact remains that there are Nigerians who are doing well in America while other Nigerians suffer and likewise some home-based Nigerians are rolling in money and enjoy a reasonably good quality of life while others suffer. People know this but still insist on arguing about it just so that they can feel better about themselves and their choices.

PS: Only an American Indian has the right to call himself/ herself American. Everyone else migrated there at one point or the other so if a Nigerian wants to settle there, good for them... I say go for it, claim the land, overrun it, overthrow all powers that be and take the place for Money and Country (cannot say God and country).

3 Likes

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by OK1(m): 2:18pm On Dec 04, 2012
pappilo: it is a fact that Nigeria will never provide the same standard of living/ opportunities for its citizens as obtained in countries like the US.
NEVER?? We'll get there my brada

2 Likes

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by ESULAALU: 2:20pm On Dec 04, 2012
Spot the difference
Ofonagoro :
Nigerians often thin think thethat ANYWHERE is better than Nigeria and that the ideal place to be is America. Nigerians you have thought WRONG
1. There aren't any jobs
2. It's not a land of Money on the streets
3. You have to work at least 58 hrs/wk to afford a decent living
4. Racism is a major issue
5. America is not the best country in the world
6. People are suffering. some people don't even see acannot afford a decent meal to eat. People are becoming poorer(insert comma) taxes are getting higher(insert comma again) job openings are less than what they used to be getting smaller (insert comma for heaven's sake)its not the ideal place to be(what happened to full stop please? ) [size=24pt](Always start very sentence with capital letters please )nothing is FREE everything has a catch especially in the U.S.[/size] Nigerians need to stop patronizing countries they dont belong to(belong to where? expantiate) and need to stay in Nigeria and make a change and [size=20pt]stop being negative.[/size]
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by axponline: 2:40pm On Dec 04, 2012
I have read this type of thread many times in the past without commenting. Here are the points to note

Many Nigerians come to the US after between the ages of 25-35 and some even in thier 40's. For these folks, its like life is starting all over again.
America is about careful planning. The system is built on careful planning and the concept of you get what you have earned. I used to work in Nigeria in a bank where you would get your housing allowance in Jan as a lump sum. You can never get that kind of cash in the US unless
a) you borrow
b) you steal
c) win the lottery

Carefully plan each dollar making sure you save at least 20cents on each dollar and when the hard time comes (and they will come) you have a fall back position.
If you anticipate a major expense coming up, plan for it. (i.e save)
I appreciate the fact the America has gotten harder in the past few years. The jobs available are often high skill jobs in IT and health care etc. The usual low skill service jobs that many of our folks get stuck with are getting few abd far between. The idea is to continually improve your self and the jobs will look for you.
I can readily testify to that. By the grace of God, I have a job where I work from home. I dont leave my house unless I want to. I get paid more than a US senator. I have excellent health care benefits paid for by my employer. I have plentiful savings. My wife has never worked for 1 day since we came to the US. I once started a business and ran up $80k in debt. I paid off the debt all from my salary. And I know many Nigerians here in the neighbourhood that I live that can tell the same story.

I strongly beleive God can bless you wherever you are. If God has brought you to America, utilize the opportunity (and it is a good opportunity) to the fullest and STOP comparing yourself to your mates back home. It is 2 completely different worlds and systems.

he willprovide

4 Likes

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by axponline: 2:40pm On Dec 04, 2012
I have read this type of thread many times in the past without commenting. Here are the points to note

Many Nigerians come to the US after between the ages of 25-35 and some even in thier 40's. For these folks, its like life is starting all over again.
America is about careful planning. The system is built on careful planning and the concept of you get what you have earned. I used to work in Nigeria in a bank where you would get your housing allowance in Jan as a lump sum. You can never get that kind of cash in the US unless
a) you borrow
b) you steal
c) win the lottery

Carefully plan each dollar making sure you save at least 20cents on each dollar and when the hard time comes (and they will come) you have a fall back position.
I appreciate the fact the America has gotten harder in the past few years. The jobs available are often high skill jobs in IT and health care etc. The usual low skill service jobs that many of our folks get stuck with are getting few abd far between. The idea is to continually improve your self and the jobs will look for you.
I can readily testify to that. By the grace of God, I have a job where I work from home. I dont leave my house unless I want to. I get paid more than a US senator. I have excellent health care benefits paid for by my employer. I have plentiful savings. My wife has never worked for 1 day since we came to the US. I once started a business and ran up $80k in debt. I paid off the debt all from my salary. And I know many Nigerians here in the neighbourhood that I live that can tell the same story.

I strongly beleive God can bless you wherever you are. If God has brought you to America, utilize the opportunity (and it is a good opportunity) to the fullest and STOP comparing yourself to your mates back home. It is 2 completely different worlds and systems.

he willprovide

2 Likes

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by anonimi: 2:53pm On Dec 04, 2012
caseless: thank u for this wonderful question. You see, nigerians are naturally patriotic and generous towards nigeria, if not for the distortion caused to that aspect of our lives by poor leadership we've suffered from over the year.what nigerians need is not much; give them constant power supply,good roads and water...and u'd shocked at the kind of return u will see them giving back to this country. Nigerians are modest, thankful,easy to guide, happy, religious, patriotic,enterpreneur,hustlers,brilliant ,etc,

Your post is PATHETIC to say the least but it shows why we are so backward as a group/society/country.
In short what you are saying is that it is easy for any half-baked Hassan, Nnamdi or Tunde to rule us rough shod once he has a little courage and can bury his concsience very deep. Have you heard that Nigeria is the best places to become rich quick and easily

I think this is all u need in a population of a country to get the best frm them...but poor leadership have prevented us from taking advantage of these attributes u find among nigerians.so, we can move forward when we get our leadership right.

The above must be a joke, right
The leadership is not drawn from Nigerians as in they are imported?
They are not voted for by Nigerians?
They are not family members of Nigerians, former school-mates of other Nigerians, church/mosque/shrine goers with other Nigerians ?

Continue shifting the blame on some leaders that you think are remote. Hope you know that the LG Councillor in your area is also a leader just as the State House of Assembly member representing your constituency. . . assuming you know them!
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by anonimi: 3:01pm On Dec 04, 2012
femliany: Atleast America is better than Nigeria where Oligarchy is taken to mean Democracy

America also has its fair share, maybe even worse than Nigeria in some cases:

* Bush, father & son became president in one generation while another Bush son was governor of Florida and maybe president sometime soon.
* Clinton, husband president with wife as Secretary of State (i.e Foreign Affairs Minister) and most probably president in 2016.
* Kennedy family- president, senator, congressmen
etc, etc.
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by SewaGRITS(f): 3:04pm On Dec 04, 2012
Das sparrow, you've presented the most realistic picture of this country yet. I'm an American, and I haven't yet been to Naija so I can't say much about what life is like there other then to base it on what I read in the news or what my family there is experiencing. There life is better than mine in some respects and worse in others.
Housing - my sister in law just built there home. It's theirs free and clear. It's comparable to mine in size (maybe a little bigger); while I will be paying a mortgage for 30 years and hoping to have equity and value plus to not be in a situations where I can't pay for a home.
Education- is probably better here; from what I've observed your private schools are comparable to our public schools (I.e suburban schools, not inner city ones); so you'd get a better education for free depending on where you live.
Medical care is better here as well as everyday services (I.e electricity et al)
Food - from my husband's complaints food is definitely more expensive here although we may have a broader selection. Milk is $3.70 for a gallon. Garri (just had to include the price of Garri,lol) is $4.99 for 3lb bag, mangos are $1 each, yams are the size of my hand and sell for nearly $1 each, chicken breast $2/lb, beef $3/lb, gas $3.40/gallon (not food but still relevant)
So there's pros and cons. We have friends in Naija working in comparable professions as ours that have plenty of disposable income, less bills, and live wealthy lives just because what they earn goes farther than what we earn (and we are both very educated and work white collar professions). Now they may own their homes free and clear, but we don't have to surround our home with barbed wire and an 8ft wall...so a sense of security and peace of mind goes far.

So trust that in Yankee the roads are not lined with gold...just yellow paint. You won't be picking up money off the ground when you step off the plane, and people will look at you as an "African" because they think of Africa as one big country of starving, big bellies children. For those saying racism isn't an issue, they don't realize how subtle it is. When you come here from "Africa" your credentials, work experience, and education are viewed suspiciously and taken for naught. This is what I've observed and everyone's experiences will be different. Just be realistic and prepared before coming.

dasparrow:

This is the problem I have with many Nigerians abroad. Just because things are cheap in your city and you are doing well does not mean it is the same all over America and with everyone. I have lived in America for over 13 years, went to college here and everything. America used to be good back in the late nineties but everything has changed now. There are indeed no jobs for the most part except maybe in the medical field. Most jobs - especially manufacturing, IT and customer service - are being shipped abroad to China, Malaysia, Philippines and the likes.

So my point is, things are hard in America now. Even those born and bred in America are finding it difficult to find a decent paying job much less someone who came directly from Nigeria with a thick Nigerian accent, an African name which most Americans are often times unwilling to try to pronounce and so on. As a christian, I believe in telling Nigerians in Nigeria the truth so that if they do choose to come to the USA, they will have realistic expectations.

Many Nigerians in America don't want to tell the truth because they want to come back to Nigeria and boast. What most Nigerians in Nigeria don't know is that many residents in America are neck deep in debt. Their mates in Nigeria are building their homes in Nigeria and elsewhere with raw cash while those with homes in America for the most part are drowning in mortgage debt. If they cannot keep up with their monthly mortgage payments, the house goes into foreclosure irrespective of how much one has already paid towards the house.

All that glitters is indeed not gold.

1 Like

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Egbagirl(f): 3:14pm On Dec 04, 2012
Stella_Bella: [xavtquote author=Ofonagoro ]

Well, you cannot look like MIKE TYSON and expect to work at a bank or daycare.
Dude, you should know that your self impression should reflect your job.

I still believe racism in America has got nothing to do with job hunting. Try UAE.
DUBAI to be exact. Your NATIONALITY determines EVERYTHING.
Like I said before, NIGERIAN WILL GET THERE.

you must be living in another America. Maybe where you are at, it's not as obvious BUT it has a lot to do with job hunting.

dasparrow:

This is the problem I have with many Nigerians abroad. Just because things are cheap in your city and you are doing well does not mean it is the same all over America and with everyone. I have lived in America for over 13 years, went to college here and everything. America used to be good back in the late nineties but everything has changed now. There are indeed no jobs for the most part except maybe in the medical field. Most jobs - especially manufacturing, IT and customer service - are being shipped abroad to China, Malaysia, Philippines and the likes.

I know of a white American guy who came boasting to us that he has finally secured a good IT job in Canada after years of not finding a job in his home country of USA. He spoke negatively about his country the same way many Nigerians speak negatively about Nigeria and he was so glad that he was moving to Canada. A friend of mine lives in New York, an accountant by profession. She quit her job so that she can have her son and take care of him. Till now - over a year later - she has not found a job. She has credit card debts up to her neck. Her husband has a good job but yet the bills (mortgage payment, credit card payment, electricity, water, car payment etc) is eating deep into her husband's monthly income.

Some people indeed do have to work more than 40 hours a week because the money they are making from one job is not enough to cover the bills. I know of a Nigerian male in California - Los Angeles to be precise - who committed suicide right there in L.A He has been living in America since the mid eighties. He had a liquor store that was doing very well in the past but sales plummeted when the economic recession began. Then he had to close shop. He has not been able to visit Nigeria in years. However, his mom died and he could not afford a dime to send to Nigeria for the burial. That was how he took his life.

So my point is, things are hard in America now. Even those born and bred in America are finding it difficult to find a decent paying job much less someone who came directly from Nigeria with a thick Nigerian accent, an African name which most Americans are often times unwilling to try to pronounce and so on. As a christian, I believe in telling Nigerians in Nigeria the truth so that if they do choose to come to the USA, they will have realistic expectations.

Many Nigerians in America don't want to tell the truth because they want to come back to Nigeria and boast. What most Nigerians in Nigeria don't know is that many residents in America are neck deep in debt. Their mates in Nigeria are building their homes in Nigeria and elsewhere with raw cash while those with homes in America for the most part are drowning in mortgage debt. If they cannot keep up with their monthly mortgage payments, the house goes into foreclosure irrespective of how much one has already paid towards the house.

word.

See truth is, you gotta work hard everywhere you are whether in the U.S or Nigeria. Bottomline is, dont expect paradise in America. Life is difficult and work is demanding. Depending on the state you are in too, your experiences will vary BUT in general, it could be quite challengin especially if you cant keep up with the system.
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by ochallo: 3:24pm On Dec 04, 2012
dadicvila: As long as they have steady electricity,Good roads,armed robbers dont knock on their doors every night,boko haram dont bomb them every sunday in their churches,they have good schools and anybody who works will be paid and not fed cock and bull stories like in Naija then its better than Naija....OP forget this your story,if America is as bad as you paint it people wunt be waiting and begging for years for their Visas,20yr old Nigerian men wunt be getting married to American women old enough to be their grandmothers....

Armed robbery in the US is actually higher than in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 04, 2012
^^^ Thank you. The only times I've had a gun held up to my face was in America. Not in Nigeria.
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Wallie(m): 4:18pm On Dec 04, 2012
dasparrow:

I know of a white American guy who came boasting to us that he has finally secured a good IT job in Canada after years of not finding a job in his home country of USA. He spoke negatively about his country the same way many Nigerians speak negatively about Nigeria and he was so glad that he was moving to Canada. A friend of mine lives in New York, an accountant by profession. She quit her job so that she can have her son and take care of him. Till now - over a year later - she has not found a job. She has credit card debts up to her neck. Her husband has a good job but yet the bills (mortgage payment, credit card payment, electricity, water, car payment etc) is eating deep into her husband's monthly income.

[b]Some people indeed do have to work more than 40 hours a week because the money they are making from one job is not enough to cover the bills. [/b]I know of a Nigerian male in California - Los Angeles to be precise - who committed suicide right there in L.A He has been living in America since the mid eighties. He had a liquor store that was doing very well in the past but sales plummeted when the economic recession began. Then he had to close shop. He has not been able to visit Nigeria in years. However, his mom died and he could not afford a dime to send to Nigeria for the burial. That was how he took his life.

I disagree with most of what you wrote not because they do not contain an element of truth but due to your over-generalization. You keep saying "America" like every single state or even counties within a state are the same. How many States have you lived in?

My point is that things are generally hard as could be seen by the unemployment numbers but the same is true for almost every other country in the world. Prove me wrong with stats if you feel otherwise. I’ll even give you the leeway of choosing any country on earth.

The only thing great about Canada is the ability to easily get your papers if you go to school. Canada is actively trying to grow their tax base. If Canada is so great, why are there only 35 million people there - a country bigger than the US? The US has 315 million people and US citizens do not need a visa to travel there. Canada is just a big and empty country with nothing going on but cold weather.

To people trying to immigrate to the US, do your homework! If you have no professional skill to offer, you will probably find it very difficult to live the lifestyle you see on TV. It is a capitalist country and only the fit will grow into a fat cat.

It is true that manufacturing jobs (mostly of the unskilled types) are off-shored to Asia and as such, makes getting jobs in that industry particularly challenging.

If you’re also relying on your Nigerian degree to work here, forget it because you will be competing with people that schooled from known schools. If I’m looking to hire someone with a degree, why would I hire someone from an unknown faraway place with a questionable degree? Most Americans are ignorant about Nigeria except for the negative things they hear on TV. The only people that can truly evaluate the worth of your degree are those in charge of college admission.

The types of people most likely to succeed in America are those that continued their education over here or have a special skill to offer. If you want to live above minimum wage, try furthering your Nigerian education over here. I personally know of friends that make well over $120k and they got their undergraduate degrees from Nigerian universities (Unilag, Ife) but they continued their education over here. One is a CPA and the other a network engineer. The funny thing is that the network engineer does not even need his engineering degrees (BSEE, MSEE) to get a job but his certifications (CCNP, CCNA, MCSA, CCDP etc). In other words, you can get a job that pays well over $100k if you can get the necessary cisco certifications but you will be tested to demonstrate your skill on actual hardware during most interviews.

And one last thing; people always complain about going to school and not being able to get a job afterwards but they never tell you have well they did in school. You cannot just go to school just for the sake of getting a certificate. If you do poorly in school (low GPA), you will find it hard if not impossible to get a job.
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Caseless: 5:24pm On Dec 04, 2012
saxywale:

Haha...it seems you have tried starting up ventures. The amount of bottlenecks created by ministry workers is enough to hate the country. They most times demand for bribe that is times 5 of the original cost of approval of license to operate. But we can only blame ourselves, since some of these officials are our family and friends. There is so much corruption right from the presidency to the LGA's. Nigerians are not lazy abroad. They work harder than nationals of their host country and they are rewarded well.
thank u for this observation my bro! I heard a multi-national company owned by an american last time indicting officials frm Ministries of over-taxing and too much bribe......and somebody stil expect me not to blame the gov't. Virgin nigeria, u remember that partnership? Virgin left this Country for thesame reason. If u knw what nigerians go thru abroad to make ends meet, u cant say they are lazy pple any more. LGAs are jst inactive or dormant .....no autonomy, so nothing is working. Corruption everywhere mehhnnnn.....smh
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Wallie(m): 5:29pm On Dec 04, 2012
The issue is not the availability of most type of jobs but whether or not the applicants possess the required skills and experience. This is exactly what makes recent graduates more vulnerable because they only have a degree to rely on.

Snapshot of jobs for Electrical Engineers (8646 jobs posted within the last 30 days)
http://www.careerbuilder.com/Jobseeker/Jobs/JobResults.aspx?IPath=QH&rs=&_ctl0%3ANavBar1%3AucQuickBar%3As_rawwords=electrical+engineer&_ctl0%3ANavBar1%3AucQuickBar%3As_freeloc=&_ctl0%3ANavBar1%3AucQuickBar%3As_jobtypes=ALL&qsbButton=Find+Jobs

Snapshot for Accountant type jobs (30,472 within the last 30 days)
http://www.careerbuilder.com/Jobseeker/Jobs/JobResults.aspx?SB%3Asbkw=accountant&SB%3As_freeloc=&SB%3Asbfr=30&tally=&sbsbmt=Find+Jobs+%C2%BB&IPath=QHKV&excrit=QID%3DA6659283056475%3Bst%3Da%3Buse%3DALL%3BrawWords%3Delectrical+engineer%3BCID%3DUS%3BSID%3D%3F%3BTID%3D0%3BENR%3DNO%3BDTP%3DDRNS%3BYDI%3DYES%3BIND%3DALL%3BPDQ%3DAll%3BPDQ%3DAll%3BPAYL%3D0%3BPAYH%3Dgt120%3BPOY%3DNO%3BETD%3DALL%3BRE%3DALL%3BMGT%3DDC%3BSUP%3DDC%3BFRE%3D30%3BCHL%3DAL%3BQS%3Dsid_unknown%3BSS%3DNO%3BTITL%3D0%3BOB%3D-relv%3BRAD%3D30%3BJQT%3DRAD%3BJDV%3DFalse%3BHost%3DUS%3BMaxLowExp%3D-1%3BRecsPerPage%3D25&cid=US

Project Manager (43,619 within the last 30 days)
http://www.careerbuilder.com/Jobseeker/Jobs/JobResults.aspx?SB%3Asbkw=project+manager&SB%3As_freeloc=&SB%3Asbfr=30&tally=&sbsbmt=Find+Jobs+%C2%BB&IPath=ILKV&excrit=QID%3DA6659283056475%3Bst%3DA%3Buse%3DALL%3BrawWords%3Daccountant%3BCID%3DUS%3BSID%3D%3F%3BTID%3D0%3BENR%3DNO%3BDTP%3DDRNS%3BYDI%3DYES%3BIND%3DALL%3BPDQ%3DAll%3BPDQ%3DAll%3BPAYL%3D0%3BPAYH%3DGT120%3BPOY%3DNO%3BETD%3DALL%3BRE%3DALL%3BMGT%3DDC%3BSUP%3DDC%3BFRE%3D30%3BCHL%3DAL%3BQS%3DSID_UNKNOWN%3BSS%3DNO%3BTITL%3D0%3BOB%3D-relv%3BRAD%3D30%3BJQT%3DRAD%3BJDV%3DFalse%3BHost%3DUS%3BMaxLowExp%3D-1%3BRecsPerPage%3D25&cid=US

Go ahead and give the website a try by typing in your field and I’m pretty sure that you will get thousands of job openings across the US but most likely, one will lack the skills needed.
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Caseless: 5:42pm On Dec 04, 2012
Oh my God! I'm not advocating for any half-baked guy like the one u voted for in the last election. Com'on, are doubting all the attributes i outlined are seen among nigerians? So u think everybody in this country is like any half-baked guy leading the country or holding any public office? Do have a rethink....bro
anonimi:

Your post is PATHETIC to say the least but it shows why we are so backward as a group/society/country.
In short what you are saying is that it is easy for any half-baked Hassan, Nnamdi or Tunde to rule us rough shod once he has a little courage and can bury his concsience very deep. Have you heard that Nigeria is the best places to become rich quick and easily

The above must be a joke, right
The leadership is not drawn from Nigerians as in they are imported?
They are not voted for by Nigerians?
They are not family members of Nigerians, former school-mates of other Nigerians, church/mosque/shrine goers with other Nigerians ?

Continue shifting the blame on some leaders that you think are remote. Hope you know that the LG Councillor in your area is also a leader just as the State House of Assembly member representing your constituency. . . assuming you know them!

are u saying most of our leader got to their various positions by popular votes? Do u think our votes count? Yeah, no doubt those so called leaders were once part of us , but there is an outright disconnection once they are voted to a particular position between them and the people that voted them in...who do we blame for that? There is a wide gap between us and our leaders, so we can never get it right until that gap is bridged. If those leaders got there by election and not by selection, we wldn't have been where we are today.... They dont get there by our votes, so they don't care about us.....u knw this....bro.
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by tosrich(m): 6:28pm On Dec 04, 2012
@ dasparo... why not read my post and understand things before you type rubbish.... besides I did not generalized things in my post... understanding is very important pls.
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Afam4eva(m): 6:34pm On Dec 04, 2012
dadicvila: As long as they have steady electricity,Good roads,armed robbers dont knock on their doors every night,boko haram dont bomb them every sunday in their churches,they have good schools and anybody who works will be paid and not fed cock and bull stories like in Naija then its better than Naija....OP forget this your story,if America is as bad as you paint it people wunt be waiting and begging for years for their Visas,20yr old Nigerian men wunt be getting married to American women old enough to be their grandmothers....
Your head dey there. He can tell that sh1t to the birds. We aint buying.

Btw @OP I think you have to leave the bronx because it's having a toll on you.
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by engrfcuksmtin(m): 6:58pm On Dec 04, 2012
Pls is there garri, kulikuli, palmwine, donkwa, tuwoshinkafa, kilishi and so on in US?

1 Like

Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by dayokanu(m): 7:08pm On Dec 04, 2012
Everywhere has its own challenges and Nowhere in the world do they pick money on tree.

But given the two places i would rather take my chances in America than in Nigeria. I have several success stories around me from guys who migrated to America recently and are doing very fine.

3-4 weeks ago I hosted 3 guys in my house whom I met through Nairaland. They all went to school in Nigeria and came to America in january 2010. Currently the least of them makes $70k a year. these guys have accent as thick as anyone there, But they are all in the IT field and they are very much in demand.(One currently makes $85k a yr in ohio and has another offer for $95k in Missouri).

Yesterday I met up with a friend we left Nigeria the same time (2008) and he came to recruit for his company. A company reputed to be the Biggest investment bank in the World. He had a degree from UNILAG, Completed his masters in Mathematical Finance and he brushed himself up taking the CFA exam.

I have another friend who came to US in Fall 2010 he used to work with ARM in Nigeria, Came for his MBA at Wharton completed his MBA last May and CFA certified he makes over $130K a yr in a hedge fund in New Jersey.

There are thousands of Nigerians making it out there if you have the needed skills

There are jobs out there if you have the needed skillset. How come you rarely see people from India working low paying jobs? Are they not accented?

but when you go to Hospitals they are the Doctors, the Pharmacists, the Engineers they are on Wall street and they dominate IT fields? Thats because they have the needed skills to work

Imagine someone who went to kwara Poly with a degree in bankiing and Finance, Comes to America, What do you expect if you dont upgrade yourself?
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by mikron(m): 7:32pm On Dec 04, 2012
@OP U COULDNT HAVE SAID IT ANY BETTER. ABEG TELL THEM. NO WHERE IS BETTER THAN MY BELOVED NAIJA
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by chirpywest(m): 8:27pm On Dec 04, 2012
axponline: I have read this type of thread many times in the past without commenting. Here are the points to note

a) you borrow
b) you steal
c) win the lottery

I strongly beleive God can bless you wherever you are. If God has brought you to America, utilize the opportunity (and it is a good opportunity) to the fullest and STOP comparing yourself to your mates back home. It is 2 completely different worlds and systems

I absolutely subscribes and believe in your ideology.We all know that there is nowhere in the world u can rake money in the street be it Nigeria or USA but with careful planning and upgrading one can fit in to something reasonable. I love your post sir and would like to know the nature of your job as you said that you work from home because I will like such job as I will be jetting out to USA with my wife next february.
We won DVlottery and we both have our Bsc in Economics but will like to further our study there and I believe that with your type of job by God's grace, we won't find it difficult to school there. Thanks in anticipation that u'll educate me more. My email address is chirpywest@live.co.uk. Plz email me.

he willprovide
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by Egbagirl(f): 8:27pm On Dec 04, 2012
dayokanu: Everywhere has its own challenges and Nowhere in the world do they pick money on tree.

But given the two places i would rather take my chances in America than in Nigeria. I have several success stories around me from guys who migrated to America recently and are doing very fine.

3-4 weeks ago I hosted 3 guys in my house whom I met through Nairaland. They all went to school in Nigeria and came to America in january 2010. Currently the least of them makes $70k a year. these guys have accent as thick as anyone there, But they are all in the IT field and they are very much in demand.(One currently makes $85k a yr in ohio and has another offer for $95k in Missouri).

Yesterday I met up with a friend we left Nigeria the same time (2008) and he came to recruit for his company. A company reputed to be the Biggest investment bank in the World. He had a degree from UNILAG, Completed his masters in Mathematical Finance and he brushed himself up taking the CFA exam.

I have another friend who came to US in Fall 2010 he used to work with ARM in Nigeria, Came for his MBA at Wharton completed his MBA last May and CFA certified he makes over $130K a yr in a hedge fund in New Jersey.

There are thousands of Nigerians making it out there if you have the needed skills

There are jobs out there if you have the needed skillset. How come you rarely see people from India working low paying jobs? Are they not accented?

but when you go to Hospitals they are the Doctors, the Pharmacists, the Engineers they are on Wall street and they dominate IT fields? Thats because they have the needed skills to work

Imagine someone who went to kwara Poly with a degree in bankiing and Finance, Comes to America, What do you expect if you dont upgrade yourself?

True. Each person's experience will be different based on your state and your field of specialization and specific industry demands. But this only applies to those that have the NEEDED qualifications and skills. Those who do not fall into this category also exist. For them, their own American dream might be a different reality. I have to admit, it's rough out there especially with companies that outsource their jobs and also those that hesitate to sponsor H1B1s.

There are many factors to consider. It is possible to make it but it is not certain. The same applies anyway really.
Re: Common Misconception Of America By Nigerians by chirpywest(m): 8:30pm On Dec 04, 2012
I absolutely subscribes and believe in your ideology.We all know that there is nowhere in the world u can rake money in the street be it Nigeria or USA but with careful planning and upgrading one can fit in to something reasonable. I love your post sir and would like to know the nature of your job as you said that you work from home because I will like such job as I will be jetting out to USA with my wife next february.
We won DVlottery and we both have our Bsc in Economics but will like to further our study there and I believe that with your type of job by God's grace, we won't find it difficult to school there. Thanks in anticipation that u'll educate me more. My email address is chirpywest@live.co.uk. Plz email me

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures Of Gabon! / Ferry From Ajah To Ikorodu / Lone Accident Kills Truck Driver, Conductor In Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 141
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.