Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,074 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

Working On The Island, Living On The Mainland! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Working On The Island, Living On The Mainland! (2983 Views)

Working On Your Husband's Weaknesses / Living On My Own / Schooling And Living On Campus: The Nigerian Experience... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Working On The Island, Living On The Mainland! by chidike(m): 8:01am On Dec 04, 2012
Hey Guys! i just got a job with one of the telecommunications company in Nigeria. i'm staying at Ikeja and my office is at The Palms Lekki. i spend 700 daily through and fro on transportation. That's about 16, 000 a month not to talk of lunch. I just wanna know if there's someone on nairaland that works in Lekki (my office is at The Palms) that i can be catching a ride with in the mornings and especially in the evenings. i work from 10 to about 8pm. My Bus stop is Ojota.

Or is there a staff bus i can join?? My company doesn't have a staff bus that runs that late. Thanks and i'd really appreciate helpful answers!
Re: Working On The Island, Living On The Mainland! by victorian(f): 2:56pm On Dec 04, 2012
You go wait, you go taya.... No one is helping dude... cool.....simply carry your cross and find your way there...part of our earnings is into fuel or public transport...join the club...but first , Congrats on your job.

1 Like

Re: Working On The Island, Living On The Mainland! by Sammiejo: 4:54pm On Dec 04, 2012
You need to bring this up to your HR. They should have pool vehicles that can cater to employees who work this kind of hours, if you can't join the staff bus. Otherwise you may need to look for someone to stay with during the week in Lekki and go home on week ends, people may not be open to offering this kind of help considering security.
Congratulations on your job.
Re: Working On The Island, Living On The Mainland! by chidike(m): 9:03pm On Dec 04, 2012
Thanks guys! Its crazy the kind of conditions we work in, i kinda brought it on my self, cos they asked me during the interview that if i was posted to the lekki office, if i would be willing to go. And i said yes. Its 9pm right now and i'm just leaving the office, BRT has closed. Guess i'll have to start looking for another job. This pay is ok though for a fresh graduate...oh well!
Re: Working On The Island, Living On The Mainland! by Kobojunkie: 9:45pm On Dec 04, 2012
chidike: Hey Guys! i just got a job with one of the telecommunications company in Nigeria. i'm staying at Ikeja and my office is at The Palms Lekki. i spend 700 daily through and fro on transportation. That's about 16, 000 a month not to talk of lunch. I just wanna know if there's someone on nairaland that works in Lekki (my office is at The Palms) that i can be catching a ride with in the mornings and especially in the evenings. i work from 10 to about 8pm. My Bus stop is Ojota.

Or is there a staff bus i can join?? My company doesn't have a staff bus that runs that late. Thanks and i'd really appreciate helpful answers!

That is a great idea. Why don't you contact the Admin/Mods so they can create and pin threads where people can sign up with others for Carpools. I am sure there are those out there who are not so dumb to think that they cannot benefit from such a move. Carpooling is a great way to save money on gas, network and also help reduce travel time.
Re: Working On The Island, Living On The Mainland! by ifyalways(f): 6:03am On Dec 05, 2012
Your best bet is to look for a Mon to Fri accomodation in the island then save up and buy a car.

Shuttling to the mainland-island at odd late hours everyday is risky.
Re: Working On The Island, Living On The Mainland! by slimyem: 7:02am On Dec 05, 2012
Hmmn...
Lagos wahala...!
Ikeja to the Island everyday is no easy thing both physically and financially but please don't leave the job for this reason o...you should understand the "why".
If your HR can't do anything about it,use Ify's option..find a place to stay/squat on the Island or close until you can request a transfer or get some other reasonable option.
Goodluck!!
Re: Working On The Island, Living On The Mainland! by Nobody: 7:24am On Dec 05, 2012
Its better u look for a crib even if its a room,just manage it till u get ur car,bcoz leaving d island @dat tym is highly risky. Dis is Xmas season where u hear all sort of stories!!
Re: Working On The Island, Living On The Mainland! by chidike(m): 10:49pm On Dec 05, 2012
Thanks guys! i think my priority right now is to get a car. i dunno anyone on the island, as i'm also new to lagos. So, for now, i'll just keep at it. Thank you!
Re: Working On The Island, Living On The Mainland! by mayville: 11:13pm On Nov 17, 2018
hello everyone
if you live on the mainland and work on the island and you are stressed concerning transportation wahala delay and insult.
pls contact me using my email address intellectualval@gmail.com for a better solution.
thank you and look forward to meeting you.

(1) (Reply)

Inverter Plus Battery At 60k Give Away! / How Did Our Parents 'do It', That We Never Caught Them While We Were Kids / How Can I Get Delta State Certificate Of Origin Within Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.