Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,050 members, 7,825,343 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:04 PM

Nigerian Blood - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian Blood (1095 Views)

Traditional Yoruba Society: The Truth Behind ‘blood Money’. / Blood Money: How Real Is It: Share Ur Stories. / Juju/black Magic In Nigeria - Blood Money And Spiritual Attacks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Blood by yorubaamerican(m): 6:48pm On Dec 04, 2012
Today I heard someone say that being Nigerian is biological. WRONG! Nigeria was created by European colonial masters. Your ancestors (great, great, great, yeah, all of them) didn't identify themselves as Nigerians. Being Nigerian has nothing to do with DNA, sorry. It's an identity that was given to you by your masters. Deal with it!
Re: Nigerian Blood by Abagworo(m): 9:25pm On Dec 04, 2012
yorubaamerican: Today I heard someone say that being Nigerian is biological. WRONG! Nigeria was created by European colonial masters. Your ancestors (great, great, great, yeah, all of them) didn't identify themselves as Nigerians. Being Nigerian has nothing to do with DNA, sorry. It's an identity that was given to you by your masters. Deal with it!

Okay
Re: Nigerian Blood by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:35pm On Dec 04, 2012
we never identify as Nigerian by blood. undecided

we always identify by Ethnicity. .
Re: Nigerian Blood by yorubaamerican(m): 9:39pm On Dec 04, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:
we never identify as Nigerian by blood. undecided

we always identify by Ethnicity. .

I beg to differ. You may identify yourself by your ethnicity but you can't speak for everyone. A friend of mine, a professor for that matter, told me being Nigerian is in his DNA. Go figure.
Re: Nigerian Blood by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:10am On Dec 05, 2012
^^^^^^^he then is highly mistaken. tribe is what runs in NIgeria.
Re: Nigerian Blood by ifyalways(f): 7:25am On Dec 05, 2012
yorubaamerican: Today I heard someone say that being Nigerian is biological. WRONG! Nigeria was created by European colonial masters. Your ancestors (great, great, great, yeah, all of them) didn't identify themselves as Nigerians. Being Nigerian has nothing to do with DNA, sorry. It's an identity that was given to you by your masters. Deal with it!
was this ever an argument?
Where are you from?
Re: Nigerian Blood by somalia5: 8:21am On Dec 05, 2012
these fools call me black when i consider myself somali.

they were named after a river called nig*er, which means black. then a white lady in england named their country after that river.

and these fools have the galls to go around calling people black...black is a color of people who choose it and those who choose to be called a color have no history. they are the ones enslaved by whites.

SOMALIA FOR LIVE.
Re: Nigerian Blood by yorubaamerican(m): 11:24am On Dec 05, 2012
ifyalways: was this ever an argument?
Where are you from?

It is a hot topic in Nigeria and America. It's hard to grasp how people get so involved in an identity that they had no hand in creating. People are so proud to be Nigerian when they have no clue what it means to be Nigerian. It simply means you were born one day and found yourself in a country created by white people called Nigeria. It has nothing to do with DNA. It has nothing to do with ancestry. It's simply a geographical expression. Papa Owolowo understood this.

As you can see, I have a Yoruba family and an American (I say American because as far as we know on that side, that's our identity, the true African tribe was never recorded) family. Hence my name, Yorubaamerican.

I think we need to agree that we're all victims. Victims of slavery and victims of colonization. And we're all connected. People of color in America and people of color in Africa. The word Africa is not even ours. ...What the?
Re: Nigerian Blood by ifyalways(f): 1:15pm On Dec 05, 2012
I don't think I understand what the rant is all about but hey, if you say you are a victim, so be it.
Re: Nigerian Blood by toshmann(m): 2:17pm On Dec 05, 2012
And you forget that America is also a geographical location. Not an ethnic group, hence not in the DNA. Infact many of the eastern states were created and named by the British. Maryland, Georgia, Carolina (north and south) Virginia etc were all named after British Monarchs. And people still proudly identify as Virginians. It's a matter of opinion. Many British cities were named after Roman military camps. That's life. It's not a fight. The name can be changed if they want to. Ghana changed their name, bukina faso did, Côte d'Ivoire etc. we have bigger problems than name change anyways.

I don't care what people call me, what matters is what I answer to cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Blood by yorubaamerican(m): 2:30pm On Dec 05, 2012
toshmann: And you forget that America is also a geographical location. Not an ethnic group, hence not in the DNA. Infact many of the eastern states were created and named by the British. Maryland, Georgia, Carolina (north and south) Virginia etc were all named after British Monarchs. And people still proudly identify as Virginians. It's a matter of opinion. Many British cities were named after Roman military camps. That's life. It's not a fight. The name can be changed if they want to. Ghana changed their name, bukina faso did, Côte d'Ivoire etc. we have bigger problems than name change anyways.

No I haven't forgotten that. I mention that to people as well. Thanks for your input!
Re: Nigerian Blood by yorubaamerican(m): 2:32pm On Dec 05, 2012
ifyalways: I don't think I understand what the rant is all about but hey, if you say you are a victim, so be it.

We're all victims, sister, not just me. That doesn't mean I dwell on it. ... I just recognize it.
Re: Nigerian Blood by yorubaamerican(m): 2:32pm On Dec 05, 2012
ifyalways: I don't think I understand what the rant is all about but hey, if you say you are a victim, so be it.

And it's not a rant! I posted this because I know a number of people who somehow think that black people who don't live in Africa are different from them. "Nigerians" are good at this. The truth is we're one.
Re: Nigerian Blood by yorubaamerican(m): 2:46pm On Dec 05, 2012
toshmann: And you forget that America is also a geographical location. Not an ethnic group, hence not in the DNA. Infact many of the eastern states were created and named by the British. Maryland, Georgia, Carolina (north and south) Virginia etc were all named after British Monarchs. And people still proudly identify as Virginians. It's a matter of opinion. Many British cities were named after Roman military camps. That's life. It's not a fight. The name can be changed if they want to. Ghana changed their name, bukina faso did, Côte d'Ivoire etc. we have bigger problems than name change anyways.

What do you answer to?
Re: Nigerian Blood by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:39pm On Dec 05, 2012
yorubaamerican:

And it's not a rant! I posted this because I know a number of people who somehow think that black people who don't live in Africa are different from them. "Nigerians" are good at this. The truth is we're one.

ofcourse we are different. We are full-blooded tribals not racists! just because you are mixed, dont drag us into your akata genopool.

stop trying to club us all together based on skin-colour. we lead different lives, culture, religion, politics, etc.

In all this , we are much more closer to the average tribal from say, Malaysia, or South America, then we are to you akatas. angry angry angry

https://www.nairaland.com/1106980/africans-not-blacks-tribals
Re: Nigerian Blood by yorubaamerican(m): 5:29pm On Dec 05, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

ofcourse we are different. We are full-blooded tribals not racists! just because you are mixed, dont drag us into your akata genopool.

stop trying to club us all together based on skin-colour. we lead different lives, culture, religion, politics, etc.

In all this , we are much more closer to the average tribal from say, Malaysia, or South America, then we are to you akatas. angry angry angry

https://www.nairaland.com/1106980/africans-not-blacks-tribals

Here we go! I see a lot of hatred in your comment, brother. OK, I'll give you the fact that my African ancestors who were taken to America were sexually abused and there is a European infusion on that side of my family. Fine. But our being one ISN'T based solely on skin color. It's based on us coming from the same place. What separates us is people who don't understand our similarities! So, because people who refer to themselves as African-Americans were enslaved and stripped of their culture, they're different from you? NO. The ties are still there. Black folks have had bits and pieces of African culture passed down to them over the years. It can be seen in the food, the family values (I know you may doubt this), our music (you'll doubt this too, right), and so on and so forth - it's there. We don't lead "different lives, culture, religion, politics, etc." Turn off the television. The problem is that younger brothers and sisters (black people in America) are caught up in what they've been told they should be. Their identity isn't what's on the tube, but many believe it is, and they play into it. Surprisingly enough, I'm starting to see the same trend in Nigeria! You must be around the wrong "akatas". All my family members want to know more about Africa and envy me for knowing half of my African heritage - even if a great deal of it has been exacerbated by the realities of colonization.
Re: Nigerian Blood by yorubaamerican(m): 5:37pm On Dec 05, 2012
yorubaamerican:

Here we go! I see a lot of hatred in your comment, brother. OK, I'll give you the fact that my African ancestors who were taken to America were sexually abused and there is a European infusion on that side of my family. Fine. But our being one ISN'T based solely on skin color. It's based on us coming from the same place. What separates us is people who don't understand our similarities! So, because people who refer to themselves as African-Americans were enslaved and stripped of their culture, they're different from you? NO. The ties are still there. Black folks have had bits and pieces of African culture passed down to them over the years. It can be seen in the food, the family values (I know you may doubt this), our music (you'll doubt this too, right), and so on and so forth - it's there. We don't lead "different lives, culture, religion, politics, etc." Turn off the television. The problem is that younger brothers and sisters (black people in America) are caught up in what they've been told they should be. Their identity isn't what's on the tube, but many believe it is, and they play into it. Surprisingly enough, I'm starting to see the same trend in Nigeria! You must be around the wrong "akatas". All my family members want to know more about Africa and envy me for knowing half of my African heritage - even if a great deal of it has been exacerbated by the realities of colonization.
Re: Nigerian Blood by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:12pm On Dec 05, 2012
yorubaamerican:

cmon let us get realistic and not sentimental. if you want, i could start a tirade of good beautfiul things, but then i will do you as well as myself injustice in that i will be lying. it is not just about admixtures from europeans/natives, etc., it is about the heavy admixture within.

This is what you outsiders never understand about us Africans. you club us all together for the sole reason of our skin colour and in that we are from the same continent. this is ignorance at its peak. you cant say that a Hausa like me has any similarity WHATSOEVER, to a ZULU /SHona/Ndeble person from South Africa. apart from the fact that we share similar skin colour at times and we are tribal.

you african americans have lost all your tribes. the intermixture has been so heavy that you have lost all your origin culture ,etc. the traces you speak about is very minute and is not even aplicable. for example, imagine an AA who has more East African blood and he is following new-age Vodun. this is not even part of his ancestors beliefs or culture. you cant just club it as African. EAst Africans have nothing to do with Vodun. so you see>? the fellow is still practicing a foreign culture.

yes i do doubt the family values bit, food is largely changed (the soul food is actually mostly based on leftovers from whites that slaves used), music is way different. your music is generally vulgar and obscene and rap music has nothigng to do with the music of my Hausa people or any other people.

the point is that we have separated to a point of no return. We Africans cannot afford to let what happened in europe or the americas where the tribes , culture ,,etc got destroyed and extinct due to assimilation,etc. all our wealth etc, has been stolen from us. TOday, our Tribe, our integrity and our CUlture is what we most have left with us and we cannot compromise these just to forge some fake unity with no basis whatsoever.

many AAs are not even aware what is going on here in Africa or about our people ,etc. i saw this youtube video for example, which portrayed exactly the level of ignorance there.
You must understand that our individual cultures, religions, lifestyles, etc., surviv on the existence of our tribes.

We are tribals. and that is what matters. think from a birds eye point of view and not from a selfish view. then reflect.
Re: Nigerian Blood by MrsChima(f): 7:17pm On Dec 05, 2012
Paandummy...you always shoot yourself silly....if people don't know what is going on in other parts of the world... they would be ignorant..but what excuse Africans have being ignorant i.e. you?
Re: Nigerian Blood by yorubaamerican(m): 7:58pm On Dec 05, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

cmon let us get realistic and not sentimental. if you want, i could start a tirade of good beautfiul things, but then i will do you as well as myself injustice in that i will be lying. it is not just about admixtures from europeans/natives, etc., it is about the heavy admixture within.

This is what you outsiders never understand about us Africans. you club us all together for the sole reason of our skin colour and in that we are from the same continent. this is ignorance at its peak. you cant say that a Hausa like me has any similarity WHATSOEVER, to a ZULU /SHona/Ndeble person from South Africa. apart from the fact that we share similar skin colour at times and we are tribal.

you african americans have lost all your tribes. the intermixture has been so heavy that you have lost all your origin culture ,etc. the traces you speak about is very minute and is not even aplicable. for example, imagine an AA who has more East African blood and he is following new-age Vodun. this is not even part of his ancestors beliefs or culture. you cant just club it as African. EAst Africans have nothing to do with Vodun. so you see>? the fellow is still practicing a foreign culture.

yes i do doubt the family values bit, food is largely changed (the soul food is actually mostly based on leftovers from whites that slaves used), music is way different. your music is generally vulgar and obscene and rap music has nothigng to do with the music of my Hausa people or any other people.

the point is that we have separated to a point of no return. We Africans cannot afford to let what happened in europe or the americas where the tribes , culture ,,etc got destroyed and extinct due to assimilation,etc. all our wealth etc, has been stolen from us. TOday, our Tribe, our integrity and our CUlture is what we most have left with us and we cannot compromise these just to forge some fake unity with no basis whatsoever.

many AAs are not even aware what is going on here in Africa or about our people ,etc. i saw this youtube video for example, which portrayed exactly the level of ignorance there.
You must understand that our individual cultures, religions, lifestyles, etc., surviv on the existence of our tribes.

We are tribals. and that is what matters. think from a birds eye point of view and not from a selfish view. then reflect.

I'm ignorant for confirming our connection with one another? My hope for you is that you meet the right people and stop it with the generalizations. As for the food comment, do you know what gumbo is and how it orignated? That's just one example. Greens and okara and how people of color cook are another. You've been misled and misguided on the African-American experience. African culture has been passed down over the years. My 90-year-old grandmother is an example. I explained the problem of recent generations above, did you read it well? You don't have any connection with African-Americans because you don't want to have any connection. The tribes are in tact, all one has to do is a little research on their ancestors history before they were sold into slavery, it's not hard. African-Americans haven't lost anything. You haven't been fortunate to meet thinking people of color in America, brother, I hope you have that experience one day. Explain the "heavy admixture within"? By the way, much of African culture has been bastardized by Europeans (don't act like African cultures are so pure, we as Africans had our own religions, and that's just one example). ...The only thing that seperates people of color is us. It's sad. You're a true reflecton of that. As far as the family values go, I was taught the same respect that Nigerians teach their children. And I was taught by the same people who you say are lost! Who have you been around?
Re: Nigerian Blood by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:06pm On Dec 05, 2012
yorubaamerican:

I'm ignorant for confirming our connection with one another? My hope for you is that you meet the right people and stop it with the generalizations. As for the food comment, do you know what gumbo is and how it orignated? That's just one example. Greens and okara and how people of color cook are another. You've been misled and misguided on the African-American experience. African culture has been passed down over the years. My 90-year-old grandmother is an example. I explained the problem of recent generations above, did you read it well? You don't have any connection with African-Americans because you don't want to have any connection. The tribes are in tact, all one has to do is a little research on their ancestors history before they were sold into slavery, it's not hard. African-Americans haven't lost anything. You haven't been fortunate to meet thinking people of color in America, brother, I hope you have that experience one day. Explain the "heavy admixture within"? By the way, much of African culture has been bastardized by Europeans (don't act like African cultures are so pure, we as Africans had our own religions, and that's just one example). ...The only thing that seperates people of color is us. It's sad. You're a true reflecton of that. As far as the family values go, I was taught the same respect that Nigerians teach their children. And I was taught by the same people who you say are lost! Who have you been around?

yes i know Gumbo. it is a spanish/italian/slave cuisine and most importantly it was borrowed from the Choctaw Native Tribe of Louisiana. the use of fille stock etc., i all from native peoples. at that tike it is well known that the natives were teaching settlers, etc., how to catch ,cook food, etc. .

the use of okra is no big deal. it is used in SOuth Asia,Africa, etc. these are exremely minor stuff you kept from the Africans. what African culture do you talk about? dont fool me please. there is no African culture ammong the rest of the AA's.

heavy admixture within imagine the wast number of unrelated tribes: YOruba , Hausa, Igbo, COngolese, Pygmy, Mande', etc., countless number of tribes descendants intermixed to form modern day akatas. no wonder you lost all the original cultures. the only reason why it survived a bit in SOuth America , is due to concentration of one tribe and the slaves there fought back and escaped to form their own separate colonies. howvever these are rare and few cases.
but as for North America, its a NO NO. hardly anything original is left. it i time you realise that you have become a distinct and spearate peoples ad have to make your way through your own distinct profile.

African people are pure in general , thnx to our tribes, but i agree that our cultures and religons are fast disappearing due to the inferiority complex suffered by many of our people. howeer it is not all lost and that is why i am here.

now back to the topic, i dont like when you say people of color. this is what breeds racism. we Africans dont care for skin color. we care for blood, and ethnicity.
Re: Nigerian Blood by toshmann(m): 1:03am On Dec 06, 2012
yorubaamerican:

What do you answer to?
it's a matter of self-system. i'll answer to any nomenclature that reflects my established self-efficacy cool

just in case you dont know what self-efficacy means, here's a hint http://psychology.about.com/od/theoriesofpersonality/a/self_efficacy.htm

i have a very high self esteem cool

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Blood by MrsChima(f): 9:46am On Dec 06, 2012
I guess pagandummy couldn't retort cos he is looking for a comeback! Easy like butter!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Blood by yorubaamerican(m): 12:15pm On Dec 06, 2012
toshmann:
it's a matter of self-system. i'll answer to any nomenclature that reflects my established self-efficacy cool

just in case you dont know what self-efficacy means, here's a hint http://psychology.about.com/od/theoriesofpersonality/a/self_efficacy.htm

i have a very high self esteem cool

I love the way you think I may not know what self-efficacy is!!
Re: Nigerian Blood by PAGAN9JA(m): 12:45pm On Dec 06, 2012
Mrs.Chima:
I guess pagandummy couldn't retort cos he is looking for a comeback! Easy like butter!

stup.id woman! what reply do you want why am i ignorant about akatas? FOOL! i know much about you guyz thats why i am talking here.

(1) (Reply)

I Kneel Down To My Nigerian Husband Every Day / Sanusi Better Off As Emir Than CBN Governor - PIC EVIDENCE / Post Deleted by me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.