Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,110 members, 7,825,504 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:25 PM

Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam (9736 Views)

EFCC Arraigns Two Bankers For N9.7Million Fraud(PICS) / Nursing Mother Arrested For 3.7Million Fraud (photos) / British Woman Duped Of £1.6m By Nigerian Fraudsters Via Online Dating Site (Pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by justwise(m): 9:05am On Dec 05, 2012
Two Nigerian fraudsters, whose global £2.7m scam had deadly consequences for one family they mercilessly ripped off, were jailed today.
Police identified a total of thirteen victims all over the world, who each lost an average of £207,000, after the duo convinced them they were due an Australian lottery pay-out, inheritance, investment benefit or were sold non-existent heavy plant machinery.

Obinnam Nwokolo, 37, of 20 Chesworth Close, Erith, who amassed a valuable property portfolio in the UK and Nigeria, received six years and four months and Uchechhukwu Onuoha, 40, of Aspen Green, Erith, who entered this country on a student visa, received five years and two months.

Both pleaded guilty at Croydon Crown Court to conspiracy to defraud between October 1, 2008 and September 15 last year.
One of their victims, Betty McClellan, 62, of Hyde Park, Los Angeles was shot dead by her husband Hersey McClellan, 63, who then shot himself on June 20, 2010 after she wired £264,000 — blowing the couple’s hard-earned pension.

She transferred the sums to accounts controlled by fellow Nigerians Sergius Ene, 44, of 111 Rushden Gardens, Ilford and Osas Odia, 33, of 15 Windrush Court, Chichester Wharf, Erith, who both admitted conspiring to launder criminal property.

Ene, who received sixteen months in March for a £27,000 Euromilions lottery scam on an 83 year-old Northampton pensioner, was jailed for two years and eight months. for laundering £342,400.
The accountant, a former Haringey Council housing benefit officer, drove a Mercedes with a personalised ‘ENE’ number plate. He is currently appealing deportation and it was revealed the mother of his three children entered into a sham marriage with a French citizen of African origin just to stay in the UK

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2242985/Jailed-London-based-Nigerian-fraudsters-ran-2-7million-lotto-scam-led-murder-suicide.html#ixzz2EA9JlrPC
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by justwise(m): 9:18am On Dec 05, 2012
Osas Odia, one of the fraudusters.

Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by Skywalker5(m): 10:23am On Dec 05, 2012
Na wa oo. Na these guy dey make my co-workers for here dey look me with one kin bad eye this morning. angry angry angry

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by salmonkay: 10:32am On Dec 05, 2012
nawa for this naija guys self,well i dont blame him na country no good.
Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by austinbob(m): 10:34am On Dec 05, 2012
nawa for dis boys o. RIP to d dead couple.
Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by mrkels(m): 10:34am On Dec 05, 2012
All that was screaming in my mind while reading this post was 'BLOOD OF JESUS' especially when I got to the part where that lady's husband shot her and then himself. Damn this guys have commited havoc. Wish the sentence could be more

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by Catchfire1: 10:36am On Dec 05, 2012
Sky-walker:
Na wa oo. Na these guy dey make my co-workers for here dey look me with one kin bad eye this morning. angry angry angry

if they look you with one kin eye, look them back with two! angry angry

their fada!

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by kingingkinging: 10:37am On Dec 05, 2012
NOT SURPRISED AT ALL. THAT IS WHAT WE ARE KNOWN FOR. ROBBERY, KIDNAPPING,RITUAL KILLING, SWINDLING, ETC. GOD SAVE NAIJA.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by Nobody: 10:40am On Dec 05, 2012
What a wicked , heartless people.

Yet, they will be worshipped during Christmas holidays when they drive their exotic cars and live in their opulent mansions all gained through theft, deception and outright evil.

Better to have little with peace than plenty and chaos.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by Nobody: 10:40am On Dec 05, 2012
justwise: 2010 after she wired £264,000

what in the name of gawd am i still doing in another man's country if i made that amount in 2010 ?

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by AK481(m): 10:41am On Dec 05, 2012
Haba,the sentence is toooo small for that kind crime that eventually led to the death of 2 people.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by Nobody: 10:41am On Dec 05, 2012
I hate to say this as an Igbo MAN, but the way my folk worship Money is now getting to a level of utter shame and disgust.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by valencia25(m): 10:50am On Dec 05, 2012
Na Shopana go kill this guys... Foolish people, Oyinbo no gree do business with person again.... angry angry

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by TableLeg(m): 10:56am On Dec 05, 2012
Topic....
Lock them all up, let them rot in jail and confiscate all the ill-gotten assets!
Thieving vagabonds!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by SELFWORTH: 10:59am On Dec 05, 2012
Unbelievable!

Their quest for money led to the loss of innocent lives. No sentence can ever bring those lives back. No sentence can compensate for what they did.

Despite all the money they stole, they were still unfulfilled which tells you that money does not buy happiness.

God will surely judge against them.
Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by Nobody: 11:01am On Dec 05, 2012
frosbel: I hate to say this as an Igbo MAN, but the way my folk worship Money is now getting to a level of utter shame and disgust.
Today, ur Igbo, tomorrow, ur British. Next year u fit be Togolese.
Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by mychaella(f): 11:02am On Dec 05, 2012
People keep shouting "the country isn't good", "our leaders are bad", "the hardships are to blame for crime". You would think that when they get to a "good" country, they would find honest means of livelihood. But no. They just continue in their dirty ways. This just shows that our problems aren't situational; they're psychological. If only we all could look past the excuses and blame and just focus on making it.

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by Nobody: 11:06am On Dec 05, 2012
frosbel: I hate to say this as an Igbo MAN, but the way my folk worship Money is now getting to a level of utter shame and disgust.

about a day or two ago you said you are 100% British, how come you are igbo man today? grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by Nobody: 11:09am On Dec 05, 2012
Sky-walker:

No problem u sef look your co-workers with a badder eye wink

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by jkross(m): 11:12am On Dec 05, 2012
these bros dem f up gan...
Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by IleIfe2(m): 11:14am On Dec 05, 2012
20-25 years each would have done justice.
Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by mallorca(m): 11:21am On Dec 05, 2012
O.T.I.S:

what in the name of gawd am i still doing in another man's country if i made that amount in 2010 ?
u no go undeerstand sha

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by IleIfe2(m): 11:28am On Dec 05, 2012
mallorca:
u no go undeerstand sha

I do, they want more.
Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by felifeli: 11:31am On Dec 05, 2012
O.T.I.S:

about a day or two ago you said you are 100% British, how come you are igbo man today? grin grin grin
Don't mind those people from that area of Nigeria..SMH
grin grin
Re: Nigerian Fraudsters Jailed For £2.7million Lottery Scam by Nobody: 11:31am On Dec 05, 2012

but the rate at which people are looking for money is getting out of hand's....
these are the reasons why i detest fraud.....
now the couple are dead cos they were duped of thier hard earned money. R.i.p
those guys have not only stole but they have also killed as well...
they will never go unpunished
#PEACE

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unity Bank Accountant In Trouble Over Forgery, Theft Of Customer’s N30m / The Brazilian Prisoner Who Dug An Escape Tunnel For 5 Years / Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.