Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials (13282 Views)

Interesting Places And Tourist Attractions In Lagos / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Us Virgin Islands: Untapped And Beautiful (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by Nobody: 3:13am On Dec 06, 2012
Ogbunike Caves(discovered by a hunter called ukwa) are situated in a valley with tropical rain forest behind the "Ogba" hills in which lies St. Monica College, Ogbunike. Descending into the valley wherethe caves are located is a lengthy walkway made up of about 317 steps said to have been constructed by the Anambra State Government in the mid 90s. At the end of the walkway is an open space used as a reception point where visitors are by tradition to remove their shoes.

The main cave consists of a massive structure with a big open chamber of about5m high, 10m wide and 30m long at the entrance. There are ten tunnels at the mainchamber leading to different directions. Within the tunnels are big chambers and other tunnels of varying lengths, some of which are inter connected. The caves are occupied by a large colony of bats of various sizes. There are streams and body of water at various places. A stream flows out from one of the tunnels into a rapid flowing river (River Nkissa). At the meeting point of the river and the stream one can feel the warm water from the caves and the cold river water.

Beside this portion of the river is a table land of about 5 X 5 square meters used as a relaxation spot by visitors to the caves. Theimmediate environment of the caves up to about 200 meters radius is a thick tropical rainforest type of vegetation. Among the fauna of the site are deer, antelope, grass cutter, porcupine, rabbit, alligator, snakes and frogs. Others are fish, crabs and birds.

Satements of authenticity and/or integrity

Ogbunike caves are associated with living traditions and are said to be used by the people for many centuries. The site still retains its historical and spiritual significance. There is an annual festival called "Ime Ogbe" celebrated in commemoration of the discovery of the caves. The biodiversity of the site has remained almost in tact. The integrity of the site can be attested to by the presence of the primary forests around the caves. The Nkisa River flows by the side of the caves into which the water that drains from the caves empties itself. At that point,where the difference in temperature is felt between the river and the water from the rock. The entire site is within ranges of undulating hills and valleys which stretch across other communities and farmlands. The site has sufficient boundaries (20 hectares) to protect its values from direct effects of human encroachment.

Comparison with other similar properties

The Ogbunike caves like the ancient cave temple of Arochukwu in Abia State of Nigeria were a symbol of justice. Ogbunike caves have attractive waterfall at the North West part of the cave that could compare to Kalambo falls in East Africa. The caves are believed to have been in existence for centuries with minimal defacement. The caves occupy a large expanse of area.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/5174/

. It is a place where Africans hid from slave raiding parties during the slave trade. Sandstone caves are rare and small. This cave is big for this type of caves. It was formed by tectonic forces, which produced weak zones in the rock. Physiochemical and biological weathering and erosion formed the cave. The cave has a large bat colony.

According to Igbo oral tradition, there was a god called Ogba who lived inside the cavein the middle of a large rock. Despite the opaque nature of the rock, he was an all-seeing spirit who could detect crimes, especially, theft. When someone was accused of crime, he could prove his innocence by entering the cave. The guilty ones never returned alive. The town is Ogbunike and the cave is called Ogba, like the god. But the English name used by tourists is Ogbunike cave.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47076:ogbunike-caves-great-wonder-east-of-the-niger&catid=184:love-a-life&Itemid=711
Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by Nobody: 3:24am On Dec 06, 2012
Guide/info for visitors:

...don't enter the cave except by permission

...remove your foot wears and enter only with bare feet.

...menstruating ladies are not allowed into the cave

...herbal or spiritual ceremony in the cave is not allowed

...Visitors are allowed to write on the cave's walls

...you're to pay a certain amount of money to be shown/guide through the cave

...recieve receipt after payment.

...they said wild animals in the caves don't harm people.

...going through the chambers and channels is very scary but adventurious and fun.
Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by Nobody: 3:34am On Dec 06, 2012
Entrance to the cave

Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by Nobody: 3:38am On Dec 06, 2012
More of the entrance

Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by Nobody: 3:39am On Dec 06, 2012
The 317 steps that leads down to the cave

Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by Nobody: 3:41am On Dec 06, 2012

Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by Nobody: 3:43am On Dec 06, 2012
Rain forest vegetation of the the area

Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by Nobody: 3:44am On Dec 06, 2012
Channel and chamber

Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by Nobody: 3:45am On Dec 06, 2012
excuse me, exactly what is there to tour in this picture?
Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by Nobody: 3:47am On Dec 06, 2012
This is picture of warm water(from the cave) and cold water (from river Nkisse) joining.

Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by Nobody: 3:55am On Dec 06, 2012
its possible to develop this cave and yet leave its environment natural and unpolluted. The cave with its water fall and forest if well developed can generate a huge revenue for Anambra state.

Ogbunike (Anambra), March 18, 2012 (NAN) The custodian of Ogbunike cave in Oyi Local Government Area of Anambra, Ifeanyi Onwuegbusi, on Sunday decried government’s neglect of the tourist site.

Onwuegbusi told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) that with proper attention and funds injection, the cave and its entire site were capable of generating substantialrevenue and had the potential of boosting tourism.

He lamented that in spite of its potential governments had looked the other way and left the Ogbunike community to maintain the site.

He said that the cave which had existed as long as the community had only witnessed the support of government in the last military dispensation.

The only visible sign of modernity at the cave site are two toilets, built on the approach to the cave NAN reports.

``Well the state government gave a little support and that was during the last military administration when it constructed 315 steps to facilitate descent into the cave.

``Apart from this toilet built last year, in mymind, I will say that one toilet is enough; they would have built a hall where people will relax and buy one mineral or any other thing if they have any opportunity.

Onwuegbusi also told NAN that in order to attract government’s attention to the wasting site and to enhance its development as a veritable tourist site the Ogbunike community offered 22 hectares of land around the site to government to facilitate tourism.

He expressed regret that since the offer was made, government only gazette the land and kept the document in the archive, noting that it was unfortunate that such a gift was not fully appreciated.

Onwuegbusi noted that the cave had been receiving all forms of visitors, adding that UNESCO had selected the cave as one of its heritage sites.

``We are happy for that, but we are really waiting for development to come; we have contributed quite a lot; we have given out land and made other offers.

``People volunteer to come here to protect the place and up to this moment nothing has happened, but we will continue to appeal.

``One day, God will bring somebody who is tourism-friendly to come because the kind of thing that should be built here to bring the place to world standard is beyond the community.’’

Onwuegbusi also called on the private sector to take interest in the cave as it would turn out to be a money spinner.

NAN reports that the cave has different chambers for the god and the goddess of the cave with several tunnels that could lead one out to Onitsha and Otuocha, among other neighbouring communities.

The cave also boasts of a confluence of two rivers, Ogba and Nkisi, a waterfall powerful enough to generate electricity adequate for Ogbunike community.

In its inner chambers were bats flying all over the place. (NAN)

http://www.nanngronline.com/section/tourism/custodian-decries-governments-neglect-of-ogbunike-cave-in-anambra
Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by Nobody: 3:59am On Dec 06, 2012
Ileke-IdI:
excuse me, exactly what is there to tour in this picture?
its a cave,the amazing aspect of it is inside but its difficult and too dark to take pictures. However these pictures are the ones i could get on net. I once visited the place but the i have lost pictures i took there. I suggest you visit to see for yourself and be amazed.

*Read the articles*
Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by miqos02(m): 9:32pm On Feb 27, 2013
etisalat mentions this cave in their adverts,that was how i knew about it,i this they should initiate some projects in the place or better still create a reality tv show like gulder ultimate search
Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by Nobody: 9:38pm On Feb 27, 2013
Well,nigeria think less about tourism. It just ends on papers, no concrete plan.
Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by Phiniter(m): 1:24am On Mar 22, 2015
And this topic is supposed hit front page.. But Noooo... It does not have Cossy's massive floppy boobs spilling out of iron padded bras or Tonto Dike going to house caring fellowship or Tiwa savage drinking tea...

1 Like

Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by Henix(m): 9:36am On Mar 23, 2015
Phiniter:
And this topic is supposed hit front page.. But Noooo... It does not have Cossy's massive floppy boobs spilling out of iron padded bras or Tonto Dike going to house caring fellowship or Tiwa savage drinking tea...
Funny comment, the cave is not a new discovering, it has been there for ages and must hav been making news all those while, both on Nairaland and off Nairaland. As regards the tourism attraction of the site, i think there is a huge development presently going on there by the state government
Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by aariwa(m): 11:57am On Mar 23, 2015
I heard that without a guide a tourist may get lost and wander forever inside the cave without finding his way back
Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by THEREALSEUN: 2:49pm On Nov 26, 2015
centje:
its a cave,the amazing aspect of it is inside but its difficult and too dark to take pictures. However these pictures are the ones i could get on net. I once visited the place but the i have lost pictures i took there. I suggest you visit to see for yourself and be amazed.

*Read the articles*

pls can u give me directions to ogbunike caves
Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by THEREALSEUN: 2:49pm On Nov 26, 2015
centje:

*Read the articles*

pls can u give me directions to ogbunike caves.im in ANAMBRA and would love to visit.
Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by Nobody: 7:10pm On Nov 29, 2015
Sorry, I can't recall the direction, it's been years since I went there.

THEREALSEUN:

pls can u give me directions to ogbunike caves.im in ANAMBRA and would love to visit.
Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by RexioKlasik(m): 5:36am On Dec 07, 2015
I was there just a few days ago. it was kinda scary at first but twas really fun.
Seriously you need to be there.

Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by Nobody: 1:30pm On Dec 07, 2015
It's quite a nice experience. Help him with the direction then.

RexioKlasik:
I was there just a few days ago. it was kinda scary at first but twas really fun.
Seriously you need to be there.

THEREALSEUN:

1 Like

Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by mrsage(m): 12:22am On Dec 13, 2016
Any recent visit to this site? Direction please
Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by Generalwoodz(m): 8:55pm On May 30, 2017
This post deserve frontpage!
Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by Originalsly: 9:52pm On May 30, 2017
Hmmm...interesting... a site that can attract nature tourists... and there are lots of them. The State should be the one developing and maintaining it. No doubt, it can attract foreign tourists and generate foreign currency. But,... don't worry...some politician will sell out the rights to a foreign entity, it will be beautifully developed... but most locals would be unable to foot the gate fee! For now....we should explore it while we can!

1 Like

Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by Bicle: 5:52pm On Nov 26, 2018
If you're someone that likes going to ancient tourist sites then this is for you. You should read the story behind the Ogbunike cave before visiting so that you'll understand what you see. Although the cave guide will also be helping with these things and you can only tour the place with a guide.
Re: Ogbunike Cave And Her Untapped Tourist Potentials by iSlayer: 9:52pm On Dec 09, 2019
Lalasticlala

(1) (Reply)

Tanker Explodes In Lagos, Fire Razes 11 Vehicles / Is Boko Haram Responsible For The Air Crash? / FRSC Regrets Tweet On BRT Bus Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.