Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:47 PM

Proposal Trauma - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Proposal Trauma (809 Views)

A Short Story : The Proposal. Marriage Palava / The Surprise Proposal- Akintayo Akinjide / Proposal For Ushering (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Proposal Trauma by Emyo(m): 7:41am On Dec 06, 2012
When Roseline mom questioned her for walking out of a super market with arms around Mark Rooney's shoulder, she never taught of the trauma in Roseline's heart the next minute.

"It's high time you've made a choice"

Mom queried Roseline.

Though Roseline feels cherished and Loved with Mark Rooney as her boyfriend, but she can't just walk up to him and propose.

This night is a very tasking one for Roseline.
It's time to make a decision, but how? Another Xmas is going by again without any sort of proposing or what so ever from Mark Rooney.

"Maybe I will walk up to him tomorrow and say it my self"

She says in pains and confusion to her friends and mom,

"Haaa! That will be against the African tradition"

Mary adds with a smart dodge, knowing mom will be throwing at her nothing less than the pair of Xmas shoe Mark Rooney bought for her.

"African tradition?, babe you not getting any younger"

Henritta speaks as Mom gives her a smile to go ahead.

She continues

"If you love your Mark Rooney, go for him while you can, or else have him go for others”

Henritta always stands her ground on issues like this. She speaks Mom type of word. Mom is always happy when Henritta is around, tonight she is glad her daughter has a friend like Henritta.

Mark Rooney is every ladies dream- six-feet-tall, toned and athletic in physique, clean-shaven and sense of smart dress with humor.

Day by day, Roseline and friends would sit fixing and guessing the date when they think Mr. Right - (Mark Rooney) will propose to her.
The trio had fixed early this New year on the ground that it will be marking Mark Rooney and Roseline's third month in peaceful relationship.
The guess was wrong, the fun continued as they all expected him to make it big on Roseline's birthday last october, yet the whole month got down without a 'be my wife' from the Mr. Right.
All hope were never lost, at least to keep Roseline happiness, they kept the fun by fixing dates and preparing towards it.

But the sitting today is different and hectic for Roseline, an average height graduate and a good cook. Heaven knows what else Mark Rooney is waiting for.

"I love Mark Rooney, his chivalry and independent"

That is the only response Roseline can figure out from her disturbed self to her friends and mom.

" We've got thousands suitors"

Mom tries to make her understand.
Of course mom is not far from the truth, Roseline have made acquitance with great men of great community, men with good command of the English language, rich, intelligent, independent, respectable and men with confident.
But Mark Rooney and Roseline Orchard is the only characters in Roseline's world.

"I rather wait for eternity, than marry another suitor"

Not able to convince her daughter, Mrs Orchard leaves the room.
Speechless, in great taught the trio slept off.

It is in another world entirely, the sky was totally black and moving.
The whole Orchards compound full of birthday flower trees.
Toys dancing around.
It is Moms birthday, everything is set, Roseline sees the house in red paints instead of the usual sky blue, noise all over the house, visitors coming in and out of the house with presents perfectly wrapped.

Mark Rooney is the only expected visitor missing. Just a letter from him. Roseline and friends goes upstairs to read its content, believing it is not ideal for a full grown man to shy away from audio proposal.

"Were is the confidence, proposing to a Lady via a letter in absent"

Henritta says, showing disapproval.
Mary supported her, and dashed the hope of reading a marriage proposal via a letter to checking out their appearance through a standing mirror. Mary and Henritta poses to the standing mirror but Roseline shows she isn't happy with their decision to forget reading through the content of the letter, she couldn't help but read the short excuse letter aloud.

"Awkward"

Shouted Mary.
Roseline remained unhappy and her friends could see the pains through her eye.
Her Mark Rooney is not coming for her mothers birthday.
Both friends tries to cheer up their friend.

"We are late, a lot is going on down stairs"

Mary continues

"I know your future husband is out there making a home of yours and buying cars of yours"

With a smile Henritta adds

“And I wish the Mark Rooney should hasten up”

With laughter the trio rushes to the door, opening it, is play cards all over the door- alphabetically spelling out some words.
Ordinarily, it should be 'happy birthday', because it is Moms birthday.
But No, Mark Rooney stands in the middle of the third word with a key in his hand and a smile on his face.
The trio read out the words aloud

'Be my wife'

It was so loud, in excitement Roseline jumped up to give Mark Rooney a hug but slipped and hit her head on the floor, at instance her breath seized.

"What a dream for a poor girl on christmas eve"

She says to her self,
Waking up worried, from Mark Rooney tapping on her head, behold a BMW 2012 series key tingling from his finger.

Re: Proposal Trauma by Splendblex(f): 4:53pm On Dec 06, 2012
Awww...interestin, but i hope dats not all.more pls
Re: Proposal Trauma by zayhal(f): 11:32pm On Dec 06, 2012
Good try. Endeavour to work on your grammatical and typographical errors. They're very many. I notice you do not use the 's where appropriate. Take note of that too.
Re: Proposal Trauma by Emyo(m): 6:43am On Dec 07, 2012
zayhal: Good try. Endeavour to work on your grammatical and typographical errors. They're very many. I notice you do not use the 's where appropriate. Take note of that too.
Thanks for that observation.
As soon as I can get a hit on such places, I will re-edit.
Thank u
Re: Proposal Trauma by Emyo(m): 6:58am On Dec 08, 2012

(1) (Reply)

The Trouble With Black / Badi Diwali Sms Wishes | Badi Diwali Shayari Images Wallpapers, Photo / 6 Tricky English Expressions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.