Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:05 AM

Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria (2032 Views)

Police Teargas Nigerdock Staff Over Protest Of Unpaid Salaries (Pics) / Unpaid Daar Communication Workers Halt Operations(photo) / Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria by babeface3: 7:38pm On Dec 06, 2012
You might be marveled that this poser is raised as the answer looks so obvious, but wait a minute. I am a masters degree holder from one of the European universities, but still clad with salary level of 180k per month here in Nigeria (recently increased from 150k) with the oddest kind of job for my educational height.

I got an offer for internship in one of the nicest countries in Europe and the promise for retention after that depends on how well I am able to impress them. I am not struggling for accommodation as my girlfriend's (from Europe) cousin lives and works there and promised of getting me a modest accommodation at a affordable cost. I think I have the opportunity of making great contacts base on what I read which is more relevant out there. This will obviously delay my marriage at 35, and im i ready for the sacrifice? I am presently thinking in the line of "a bird at hand...". Folks do I really have this bird in the present job where i do the oddest type of work and yet earn peanuts?

Do I go for unpaid internship where I would maybe borrow about 5000 Euros for living expenses for 6 months with the hope of either being retained (I will earn 5000 Euros monthly if this happens smiley) or making the best of connections that would launch me into a great career thereafter (speculative)?

I will appreciate a front page for this smiley

Thinking...........
Re: Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:15pm On Dec 06, 2012
Front page for wetin? You already know what you want

1 Like

Re: Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria by babeface3: 8:58pm On Dec 06, 2012
Oga no one knows it all, there could be a veritable information that I can tap from. You never can tell. cool Read my post again, you will know I need it
Re: Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria by deniyor: 10:34pm On Dec 07, 2012
Depends on where you want to live.
Also which one will give you more job satisfaction.

If you want to live in Naija, take the naija job.
If you want to live in Europe, take the European one, don't look at the cost as it is only a stepping stone.

2 Likes

Re: Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria by yamakuza: 2:19am On Dec 08, 2012
Do I go for unpaid internship where I would maybe borrow about 5000 Euros for living expenses for 6 months with the hope of either being retained (I will earn 5000 Euros monthly if this happens smiley) or making the best of connections that would launch me into a great career thereafter (speculative)?

I will appreciate a front page for this smiley

Thinking...........

babeface3: You might be marveled that this poser is raised as the answer looks so obvious, but wait a minute. I am a masters degree holder from one of the European universities, but still clad with salary level of 180k per month here in Nigeria (recently increased from 150k) with the oddest kind of job for my educational height.

I got an offer
for internship in one of the nicest countries in Europe and the promise for retention after that depends on how well I am able to impress them. I am not struggling for accommodation as my girlfriend's (from Europe) cousin lives and works there and promised of getting me a modest accommodation at a affordable cost. I think I have the opportunity of making great contacts base on what I read which is more relevant out there.

based on the highlighted,
the odds appear greater/better if you go for it. consider it a vacation of sorts. expensive, albeit.

[s]
how well can you afford this? will it break you?
seems to be the key question here[/s]

This will obviously delay my marriage at 35, and im i ready for the sacrifice? I am presently thinking in the line of "a bird at hand...". Folks do I really have this bird in the present job where i do the oddest type of work and yet earn peanuts?

marriage to a naija chic or euro gal?
Re: Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria by babeface3: 8:02pm On Dec 08, 2012
Marriage to a naija chic of course smiley
Re: Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:21am On Dec 09, 2012
babeface3: You might be marveled that this poser is raised as the answer looks so obvious, but wait a minute. I am a masters degree holder from one of the European universities, but still clad with salary level of 180k per month here in Nigeria (recently increased from 150k) with the oddest kind of job for my educational height.

Having a masters from wherever is no longer a big deal.
Many foreign graduates will grab the 180k job so don't see it as demeaning to your 'educational height'.

Back to your question, you stand a chance of earning a better pay if retained in the foreign company.
But always ask this question, 'what if'. What if you are not retained?
If you are very sure of being retained then go for it!

1 Like

Re: Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria by Admitwithschola: 12:04pm On Dec 09, 2012
BlueDiva:

Having a masters from wherever is no longer a big deal.
Many foreign graduates will grab the 180k job so don't see it as demeaning to your 'educational height'.

Back to your question, you stand a chance of earning a better pay if retained in the foreign company.
But always ask this question, 'what if'. What if you are not retained?
If you are very sure of being retained then go for it!

I can bet that a graduate of Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Columbia, MIT, Stanford and Berkeley will never even apply for a 180K job not to talk of grabbing it. 180K naira= 1200USD$. The day such people start applying for 200k naira job is the day education stops being relevant grin

That said, I do agree however that many foreign degree holders, especially from the normal schools abroad, can die to get jobs that pay 100K or less. In fact, a friend just told me about one lady that is a call centre agent in Lagos with a master's degree from Canterbury..She earns 75K. hahaha. Waste of money and time acquiring master's, if you ask me.

Willingly, I would accept that my nephews, nieces, children and family members attend foreign schools only if they are top schools, a la world's top 10 (I can manage and extend to top 20)..Anything less is a waste of space, time and money. You must sit down in Nigeria, period!!

For me, for instance, if I must do an MBA, then it can't be at a place below Columbia..
Re: Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:21pm On Dec 09, 2012
Admitwithschola:

I can bet that a graduate of Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Columbia, MIT, Stanford and Berkeley will never even apply for a 180K job not to talk of grabbing it. 180K naira= 1200USD$. The day such people start applying for 200k naira job is the day education stops being relevant grin

Getting a degree from these schools will get you a good job abroad in the first place.
Re: Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria by Insanity(m): 8:28pm On Dec 09, 2012
Admitwithschola:

That said, I do agree however that many foreign degree holders, especially from the normal schools abroad, can die to get jobs that pay 100K or less. In fact, a friend just told me about one lady that is a call centre agent in Lagos with a master's degree from Canterbury..She earns 75K. hahaha. Waste of money and time acquiring master's, if you ask me.

Willingly, I would accept that my nephews, nieces, children and family members attend foreign schools only if they are top schools, a la world's top 10 (I can manage and extend to top 20)..Anything less is a waste of space, time and money. You must sit down in Nigeria, period!!

For me, for instance, if I must do an MBA, then it can't be at a place below Columbia..

i can kill to get MEng from MIT or Berkeley but their fees are lipsrsealed unless i can get a scholarship which is vry competitive for a 2:1 graduate. Personally, i think schools like Utexas Austin, Texas A&M Uni, CSM colorado school of mines etc are very good schools esp for a Civil Engg grad. i just hope i get scholarship to any of the five schools above whn i strt applying nxt year.

Most naija oversea masters program are in low grade schools, that's the problem. They just follow the crowd but sometimes its 'cuz of their inability to get into the top schls on scholarship or low cgpa.
Re: Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria by babeface3: 10:26pm On Dec 09, 2012
Thats not my case, I attended a top rated school; I wont mention it here for some reasons.
Re: Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria by Admitwithschola: 11:06am On Dec 10, 2012
Insanity:

i can kill to get MEng from MIT or Berkeley but their fees are lipsrsealed unless i can get a scholarship which is vry competitive for a 2:1 graduate. Personally, i think schools like Utexas Austin, Texas A&M Uni, CSM colorado school of mines etc are very good schools esp for a Civil Engg grad. i just hope i get scholarship to any of the five schools above whn i strt applying nxt year.

Most naija oversea masters program are in low grade schools, that's the problem. They just follow the crowd but sometimes its 'cuz of their inability to get into the top schls on scholarship or low cgpa.

Then use the cash for something else..Why burn close to 5 milla only to come and compete for 200k jobs..Sounds somehow to me.
Re: Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria by Admitwithschola: 11:10am On Dec 10, 2012
babeface3: Thats not my case, I attended a top rated school; I wont mention it here for some reasons.

No insult intended, but I won't attend a top school and afterwards come to naija to do a job of 300k. Never! By top schools, I mean top schools, not just good schools which are in fact many around the world..
Re: Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria by Admitwithschola: 11:17am On Dec 10, 2012
Insanity:

People with good 2:1 attend these schools. Remember, 3.5 is 2:1, 4.0 is 2:1 and yet again, 4.48 is 2:1

I have 2:1 and if I want to go to these schools, I know what to do.
Re: Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria by Insanity(m): 4:47pm On Dec 10, 2012
Admitwithschola:

People with good 2:1 attend these schools. Remember, 3.5 is 2:1, 4.0 is 2:1 and yet again, 4.48 is 2:1

I have 2:1 and if I want to go to these schools, I know what to do.

Please, what is it that you will do? 'Cuz i need MIT like a fish need water..ℓoℓ. If you research on the top civil engg schls in US, UTA n TAMU are alwys on the top 13 in the list. i want to be in the oil and gas industry, and texas is the oil and gas capital of US grin
There is a lot of opportunity in that state.

So, i ask again,'what is it that you will do'? i can give you ma e mail add to talk more, i need this very bad.
Re: Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria by Admitwithschola: 9:41am On Dec 29, 2012
Insanity:

Please, what is it that you will do? 'Cuz i need MIT like a fish need water..ℓoℓ. If you research on the top civil engg schls in US, UTA n TAMU are alwys on the top 13 in the list. i want to be in the oil and gas industry, and texas is the oil and gas capital of US grin
There is a lot of opportunity in that state.

So, i ask again,'what is it that you will do'? i can give you ma e mail add to talk more, i need this very bad.

Unfortunately, I can't let out my business strategy.

I will be working on one MIT application and one Harvard application in the coming periods.
Re: Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria by BAKAREAAT(m): 9:03am On Dec 31, 2012
O BOY dont deceice yourself go for your international opportunities .How much is 180k
Pl go go go go
UK Government are more serious than nigeria Govt
suppose the job you are talking about is no more there what do you do/

1 Like

Re: Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria by BAKAREAAT(m): 9:05am On Dec 31, 2012
Please should incase there are opportunities for SAP Intership ,pl do not hesitate to contact me.
I am a chartered Accountant ,i am SAP Finance Certified.
taiwobakareaat@yahoo.com,08060146731
Thank You
Taiwo

(1) (Reply)

Help From Experienced Oil And Gas Nairalanders / Crossing From Poly To University Hw Easy Is It? / 15 Non Hosted Google Adsense Account......who Need??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.