Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,193 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria (3961 Views)

Career Advice Needed: Unpaid Internship In Europe Or 180k Sallary In Nigeria / Fundamentals Of Upstream Oil & Gas Operations And Business (training) / What Can I Do With Masters In Public Health (mph) Degree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by eNKe1: 4:07pm On Aug 07, 2012
Hi people,
It has come to a time I need serious advice from fellow nairalanders. I never thought it'd come to this, cos I can be stubborn about making my own decisions. But this time, I'm just at a loss on what to do. So please help.
I work for one of the biggest O&G upstream service companies, a multinational. I earn well. But I also have an offer to go do masters in Germany on full scholarship. Everything is paid for, down to flight, living costs, accommodation, etc. I won't be spending a penny. The masters is in one of Germany's elite universities, but the course is on developmental studies with a very possible career in a developmental agency (UN, EU, AU, UNESCO, etc). I wish I could divide myself in two and do both. But then, that's not possible. So, I seek advice.
Though I have travelled out of the country many times and know quite well how difficult it is for blacks there, I'm still tempted to give the scholarship a chance given the many gains that can come out of it. My present job is interesting as well, but it could get boring and horribly stressful with numerous days offshore.
I should point out that for me, money is not the objective. Not at all. Instead, it's making a good career and contributing some quota to humanity, if I could. That's my primary motivation. And I hope to achieve this anyway, whether working in O&G or anywhere else.
I'd really like people to please say a thing or two about this. I'd like to know exactly how difficult it could get abroad. Does having a scholarship do anything to mitigate the difficulties one may experience? What exactly is the possibility of making a career in foreign land? In addition, is there really anything achieveable in the O&G industry besides making a lot of money?
I'd really like sincere comments, as this can influence my final decision.
Mods can also help a person by putting this on the frontpage.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by yemmyma: 4:43pm On Aug 07, 2012
I will advice you to stick with your job especially when you earn well. Times are hard.

Again, if you think you have 15-20 years experience already and want to go for the masters, then you can give it a shot. But with 20 years experience, i would rather thread softly to retirement grin
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by eNKe1: 5:22pm On Aug 07, 2012
yemmy_ma: I will advice you to stick with your job especially when you earn well. Times are hard.

Again, if you think you have 15-20 years experience already and want to go for the masters, then you can give it a shot. But with 20 years experience, i would rather thread softly to retirement grin
Good point, bro. You didn't really offer any reason. Times are hard everywhere, not only abroad or in Naija.
And I think 15-20 years is rather long.
The deal is not exactly to just have a masters degree, it's to build a career. And the masters looks like a good way to start.
Perhaps I should add that the scholarship is a fellowship. That has its own benefits.
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by eNKe1: 5:22pm On Aug 07, 2012
Mods, please assist by putting this on the frontpage. Please o!!!!
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by yemmyma: 5:32pm On Aug 07, 2012
Well my initial post was merely trying to bring more out of you if you. To get a sound advise, you will need to say more about what qualification you already have and what you are doing presently at your place of work. Is your job related to the studies? Is it related to the fellowship?

Having a good grasp of your background will help with a more informed opinion from other posters.

1 Like

Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by eNKe1: 5:48pm On Aug 07, 2012
Am trying not to divulge too much information about myself. But I'll give it a shot. In addition though, I'd love to know your own background as well. I hope that's not a prob.
Studied Engineering, Electrical and graduated with a first class. I work with a multinational in the O&G upstream sector. The pay is good and I get to travel around the world. Let's leave it at that. Yes, the work is related to my degree. But if you know about the O&G service industry, you know how stressful life can get.
The fellowship, however, is not related. As I mentioned, it's strictly a course on developmental studies and best career opportunites will be with the UN, EU, etc. U get?
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by yemmyma: 6:21pm On Aug 07, 2012
Well i don't think you will have problems with any decision you make. You have a profile that can always stand you in good stead. Good luck
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by eNKe1: 6:28pm On Aug 07, 2012
Really? THanks. I need more opinion still. Mods!!! angry
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by eNKe1: 10:11pm On Aug 07, 2012
Guys please more replies. Don't just view! embarassed
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by chamber2(m): 10:36pm On Aug 07, 2012
Yours is an impressive profile. However, the labour market can be very funny a times. Just few days ago i read a post here on nairaland of a young man with a Masters degree in development studies from the University of Manchester seeking advise on how to get an ''internship'' with those organisations you listed.

Unless you are 99% sure of getting jobs in those organisations you listed then i will advise you tread softly.Jobs in the oil sector don't come easily, even with a masters.

Then i ask, is it possible to get a study leave from your organisation? At least to have a back-up plan?

If yes, then take up the study offer. But if NO and you are 99% sure of getting jobs in the listed in't agencies upon completion of your studies then also go for the study. Also, if you are not sure of getting jobs in those agencies upon completion of your studies, then know that you are only taking a risk-an uninsured one for that matter. Because you will probably be competing with young men who have or even better professional, academic and even volunteering exposures than you and the competition could be very stiff and depressing.

2 Likes

Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by sisieko2001: 10:48pm On Aug 07, 2012
op

you had better hold on to that job and hold on to it TIGHT.

there are many grads with masters degree abroad struggling to break in the oil and gas sector

except your employer is willing to give you study leave. if not, i repeat, hold on to the job TIGHT with your two arms and legs grin grin grin grin

if you are so keen on getting a postgraduate degree, then do one online/distance learning

1 Like

Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by sisieko2001: 10:55pm On Aug 07, 2012
eNKe!:
Am trying not to divulge too much information about myself. But I'll give it a shot. In addition though, I'd love to know your own background as well. I hope that's not a prob.
Studied Engineering, Electrical and graduated with a first class. I work with a multinational in the O&G upstream sector. The pay is good and I get to travel around the world. Let's leave it at that. Yes, the work is related to my degree. But if you know about the O&G service industry, you know how stressful life can get.
The fellowship, however, is not related. As I mentioned, it's strictly a course on developmental studies and best career opportunites will be with the UN, EU, etc. U get?

watt

it is not related to your field.

and who told you that a course on developmental studies guarantees you a job with the UN

Besides, do you know that such UN, EU jobs can be boring? I had a brief stint with one of such organisations. it was the most boringggggggggg job i had ever had.

like i said earlier, hold on to the oil and gas job. which career is not stressful these days undecided
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:53pm On Aug 07, 2012
@ OP.

Guy forget about that Germany thing. Keep your job. If you are keen on getting that masters you can do it online and even get one at a prestigious school. Texas A&M offers a DL Petroleum Engineering program. It'll only cost you additional pepper which shouldn't be a problem. You can keep hopping from rig to rig while you do everything online.
At least this way you'll get something related to your job

1 Like

Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by eNKe1: 12:11am On Aug 08, 2012
chamber2: Yours is an impressive profile. However, the labour market can be very funny a times. Just few days ago i read a post here on nairaland of a young man with a Masters degree in development studies from the University of Manchester seeking advise on how to get an ''internship'' with those organisations you listed.

Unless you are 99% sure of getting jobs in those organisations you listed then i will advise you thread softly.Jobs in the oil sector don't come easily, even with a masters.

Then i ask, is it possible to get a study leave from your organisation? At least to have a back-up plan?

If yes, then take up the study offer. But if NO and you are 99% sure of getting jobs in the listed in't agencies upon completion of your studies then also go for the study. Also, if you are not sure of getting jobs in those agencies upon completion of your studies, then know that you are only taking a risk-an uninsured one for that matter. Because you will probably be competing with young men who have or even better professional, academic and even volunteering exposures than you and the competition could be very stiff and depressing.
oh, thanks for your response. I don't think study leave is possible. With the crazy workload at this moment, I don't think my employers will consider study leave. PLus one has to do a certain number of years before that leave. I'll find out. Thanks for this advice.

I'm not 99% sure of getting a job in the listed agencies. However, the scholarship is a fellowship, a rather prestigious one. I was thinking it could up my profile and therefore better my chances of getting a job in these agencies.
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by eNKe1: 12:14am On Aug 08, 2012
sisieko2001: op

there are many grads with masters degree abroad struggling to break in the oil and gas sector

except your employer is willing to give you study leave. if not, i repeat, hold on to the job TIGHT with your two arms and legs grin grin grin grin

if you are so keen on getting a postgraduate degree, then do one online/distance learning
sisieko2001:

watt

it is not related to your field.

and who told you that a course on developmental studies guarantees you a job with the UN

Besides, do you know that such UN, EU jobs can be boring? I had a brief stint with one of such organisations. it was the most boringggggggggg job i had ever had.

like i said earlier, hold on to the oil and gas job. which career is not stressful these days undecided
sisieko2001: op

Good point. Yea, it really could be boring. You right. but I was thinking more of making a career. This means I won't be spending too much time in these agencies. Perhaps a PhD could follow, and then other stuffs. Am looking more at the chance of making a career. Do you know very much about the O&G upstream industry? What chances of making a real social impact are there, besides just making money for oneself?
Anywyz, thanks for this advice. I appreciate it.
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by eNKe1: 12:16am On Aug 08, 2012
A-town:
@ OP.

Guy forget about that Germany thing. Keep your job. If you are keen on getting that masters you can do it online and even get one at a prestigious school. Texas A&M offers a DL Petroleum Engineering program. It'll only cost you additional pepper which shouldn't be a problem. You can keep hopping from rig to rig while you do everything online.
At least this way you'll get something related to your job
well, thanks. You have a point.
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by debosky(m): 12:34am On Aug 08, 2012
Very interesting choice here.

I'm a bit puzzled as this developmental studies fellowship seems at odds with your engineering degree and O&G experience thus far.

Some of your comments are a bit odd too - you want to 'make a career' but don't intend to stay long at organisations like the UN (if you get in) and want to do a PhD?

You don't sound like you've nailed down what you want to do with your life - a 'career' can be in whichever field you choose, but once you have the resources and the will, you can contribute to humanity. In terms to contributing to humanity, there are folk right here on NL doing their jobs, studying, etc and already contributing to humanity through TeHN.

Why do you feel you can't have a 'career' in the O&G industry? What does a 'career' mean to you? I think it would be useful to better understand your motivation for this development studies program before I can advise. In my opinion, you haven't really decided what you want to do long-term.

1 Like

Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by violent(m): 1:14am On Aug 08, 2012
I should point out that for me, money is not the objective. Not at all.

Bro, have you ever been broke in your adult life? I would advise you experience being broke before considering what your position is on this specific statement.

sisieko2001:

undecided

This statement is very true. Those places are nice if you are looking for somewhere to sit your bum down till retirement. Yes, it makes you think somewhere in your mind that "you are giving something to humanity"...but in reality, and considering the enormous amounts of bureaucracy/red tapes before simple projects get approved, you are merely another pawn in a game played by selfish politicians. If you are truly looking to contribute to humanity, get a machine gun and head down to the house of assembly.

I'd really like people to please say a thing or two about this. I'd like to know exactly how difficult it could get abroad. Does having a scholarship do anything to mitigate the difficulties one may experience? What exactly is the possibility of making a career in foreign land?

How difficult?: VERY difficult!...much more difficult if you study in a non English speaking country....extremely difficult if the country is in Europe where unemployment figures keep reaching new highs.

Scholarship: Yes, your scholarship will mitigate a lot issues commonly encountered by most people. Fees, accommodation and living costs being paid for?..You are kidding!..you must be bloody kidding!!

Possibilities of making a career: Very Possible!!!...Just tough!...It may be easier to for three camels to go through the eye of a needle at once.

In addition, is there really anything achieveable in the O&G industry besides making a lot of money?

People are motivated by different factors. I think for me, I'm a bit more motivated by money than the average bloke and naturally, i have always tend to hold on to the belief that more money is better than less. For one, it makes my life easier.Perhaps it isn't the same for you. Then i see why you must be so frustrated to find yourself in an industry that keeps doling out quids in a way that probably makes your stomach churn.

There's an easy solution to this, however, why not apply for jobs at state primary schools? Trust me when i say you won't have to worry for a bit about being overpaid, plus you get the added benefit of making other people's lives better like you've always wanted.

4 Likes

Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by yemmyma: 3:03am On Aug 08, 2012
violent:

People are motivated by different factors. I think for me, I'm a bit more motivated by money than the average bloke and naturally, i have always tend to hold on to the belief that more money is better than less. For one, it makes my life easier.Perhaps it isn't the same for you. Then i see why you must be so frustrated to find yourself in an industry that keeps doling out quids in a way that probably makes your stomach churn.

There's an easy solution to this, however, why not apply for jobs at state primary schools? Trust me when i say you won't have to worry for a bit about being overpaid, plus you get the added benefit of making other people's lives better like you've always wanted.

This case was the most challenging i have come across on the career section. I have not seen anyone working in O & G in naija and is so much driven by Masters in Developmental Studies. I needed to tread softly on the topic with my comments earlier.

I personally think with a high salary, there are a lots of ways one can contribute to humanity without pursuing a developmental degree.
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by eNKe1: 6:27am On Aug 08, 2012
debosky: Very interesting choice here.

I'm a bit puzzled as this developmental studies fellowship seems at odds with your engineering degree and O&G experience thus far.

Some of your comments are a bit odd too - you want to 'make a career' but don't intend to stay long at organisations like the UN (if you get in) and want to do a PhD?

You don't sound like you've nailed down what you want to do with your life - a 'career' can be in whichever field you choose, but once you have the resources and the will, you can contribute to humanity. In terms to contributing to humanity, there are folk right here on NL doing their jobs, studying, etc and already contributing to humanity through TeHN.

Why do you feel you can't have a 'career' in the O&G industry? What does a 'career' mean to you? I think it would be useful to better understand your motivation for this development studies program before I can advise. In my opinion, you haven't really decided what you want to do long-term.
Thanks for this input.
Yes, the developmental studies fellowship is not directly related to my first degree. But indirectly? It is. It's also an engineering degree, except it tends towards engineering for development and sustainance, than towards engineering for manufacturing and construction, or anything like that.
YOu raised several questions. So, I'll just go into a bit more detail.
For me, a good career would allow me some independence and render me an authority in that chosen field. A global authority would be a good one. As a Nigerian, can the O&G industry allow for that? I really don't know. Perhaps someone should educate me here. Can anything in development do that? Quite a chance

This fellowship just seems quite appropriate to plung me into that global pool. The alumnis of this programme enjoy special benefits and can also easily make a name for themselves. I believe they get quite some support from the scholarship body.

And to add, I do have some passion for developmental studies. I could say almost equal passion as I have for my first discipline. If I let this opportunity go now, I wonder if I'll be able to remedy it.
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by eNKe1: 6:29am On Aug 08, 2012
I appreciate your input, violent. Some are not as motivated by money. Not to say money is not good though grin.
Anywayz, thanks.
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 9:22am On Aug 08, 2012
OP has presented a different proposition to what everyone is used to cheesy

IMHO, it's not a bad thing, if you have decided to do something different with your life. I know many people in your industry who say they are trapped by money - aren't we all wink

How long is the program for? You can take a leave of absence and go do the program in Germany. By the time you're done, you can decide whether or not you want to return. I know for a fact that the oil majors in Nigeria are flexible when it comes to study leave.
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by debosky(m): 11:41am On Aug 08, 2012
AjanleKoko: OP has presented a different proposition to what everyone is used to cheesy

My brother very different! I'm even surprised some people haven't called him names for wanting to leave his well paying job that others are dying to get into. cheesy

The key is really knowing why you're doing something different - if the desire to 'make a difference' is ill-defined, it becomes quite risky.

eNKe!:

Yes, the developmental studies fellowship is not directly related to my first degree. But indirectly? It is. It's also an engineering degree, except it tends towards engineering for development and sustainance, than towards engineering for manufacturing and construction, or anything like that.

That is indeed interesting. In terms of the application of this degree, are you seeking to actually be involved in engineering for development or just a 'career' at the UN or the likes? Like others have said, you may just be another small cog in the big wheels of these MASSIVE organisations. You may struggle to measure your own personal impact - just something to consider.

For me, a good career would allow me some independence and render me an authority in that chosen field. A global authority would be a good one.

Good enough - but I think the level of independence/authority you crave usually comes after spending substantial time in a 'career' to establish that authority. It doesn't come via a degree alone but years of dedication. What happens in 3 or 5 years if you still find yourself making slow/gradual progress? Many folk spend 15-20 years honing their skills in the 'background' as it were before shooting into prominence. You're already tired of O&G it seems, will you (quickly) get tired of development studies too?

As a Nigerian, can the O&G industry allow for that? I really don't know. Perhaps someone should educate me here. Can anything in development do that? Quite a chance

It definitely can happen - e.g. the MD of SPDC is Nigerian now. I know Nigerians who have become authorities and run O&G businesses in a variety of countries, those holding senior vice president positions as well. It all depends on your motivation to do so, the choices you make and of course a little luck too. In the end, how much you want something usually plays a big part in whether it happens or not.

Granted there are more 'visible' Nigerians in NGOs like the UN (Osotimeyin and the likes), but do they really feel they are making a difference or are they just figure heads making good money in $ and travelling the world? I don't know.

Without a doubt it does sound like a fantastic opportunity. My personal view would be to take the opportunity based on your passions and how high profile it is. Even if you don't end up in development/NGOs for a career, the life experience from meeting and interacting with that calibre of individuals will definitely benefit you in the long run and you should be able to apply that knowledge even in a private capacity. You just need to be aware of your own motivations and the pitfalls that may occur.

1 Like

Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 11:56am On Aug 08, 2012
^^
On the 'fulfiling career' bit:
OP sounds like someone I know, who gave up an O&G job in Nigeria, for further studies abroad. He's pretty much fulfilled in what he is doing now. You'd probably have heard of him; he went to your school and graduated in your department wink
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by debosky(m): 12:06pm On Aug 08, 2012
^^ Interesting. . .I don't think I know him, I'm a bit of a hermit (or a choc ice to some grin) and not that connected to the old network.

Fulfilment is always hard to define, especially when many don't get chances to do what they think they 'really' want, or don't get a second chance after trying the first choice out.

Fulfilment for me? Beachbum by day, DJ at a nightclub by night. I wish grin
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by AjanleKoko: 12:11pm On Aug 08, 2012
debosky: ^^ Interesting. . .I don't think I know him, I'm a bit of a hermit (or a choc ice to some grin) and not that connected to the old network.

Fulfilment is always hard to define, especially when many don't get chances to do what they think they 'really' want, or don't get a second chance after trying the first choice out.

Fulfilment for me? Beachbum by day, DJ at a nightclub by night. I wish grin

He graduated well before your time, I believe.
But he has been back in Nigeria twice now, with two high-profile UK multinationals.
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by Admonition: 5:07pm On Aug 09, 2012
@enKEL

I will advise you to go for the master degree in Germany if your course of study in Germany is directly related to your First degree and initial work experience. If you have up to 3 years of work experience and the master degree is in line with your initial work experience and you are sure of the skills you have acquired, your chance of landing an international job after the completion of your studies in Germany is high. If the course you want to study in Germany cannot directly enhance or accentuate your initial work experiences and skills, you may find it hard to stand out among the Europeans with respect to job. I can relate my experience briefly to you. It may help you to arrive at a concrete decision. I worked for 3 years in O&G in Nigeria, secured a full funding and left for master degree abroad (the course is line with my work experiences and my first degree). I have an international career today though I have a black skin, my initial work experiences and skills and of course GOD factor makes me to stand out among my peers who are mainly Europeans. A friend of mine (Nigerian) who has gained 2/3 years working experience in a notable O&G Company in Nigeria before honouring a full scholarship abroad for his master degree secured an international Job in O&G this summer ahead of his European counterparts before the completion of his program. There are many other Nigerians with similar experiences personally known to me abroad.
In a nutshell, what value will your course of study in Germany add to your initial work experiences and first degree? Is the course relevant to the skills you have acquired in your present O&G Company? If you cap your first degree and work experiences with the proposed master degree in Germany, can it make your resume to stand out internationally? If your answer is yes, you will do well in terms of job after the completion of your studies.

Thanks

Admonition

1 Like

Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by eNKe1: 12:11am On Aug 10, 2012
This is the kind of reply i was looking for when i started this thread. If only i can get more like this. Admonition, please can u pm me with ur contact? Can we talk offline? Pls treat as urgent. Thanks.
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by deenee: 4:34am On Aug 10, 2012
@ poster, Hopefully, the decisions you take might or might not pan out depending on the prevailing circumstances on ground. One common mistake we all make is to apply generalizing assumptions to our individual and respective scenarios. Issues should be treated on a case by case basis and not as we address them here.

Additionally,I have noticed your outright rejection of certain opinions and immediate praise and overriding acceptance for others and this suggests to me that you seem to have your mind made and only require further conviction to back up your desired thought of action.

3 years in O and G is still entry level in my view and switching to developmental studies is a 360 degree career change that could spell suicide for you if not properly planned and risks mitigated against. A few questions for you- how many languages do you speak?, how many published papers have you written?,how many seminars and workshops have you attended re the course you want to pursue? If your answer to the above set of questions is NO, then you might end up being just a 'foot soldier' or a number in UN/EU if eventually your expectation pans out or worse still unemployed at the end of the program.

Another question is would you have embarked on this course of study if there was no scholarship incentive tied to it? Would have spent your own funds?
If no then you need to have a rethink!

More so, is there an "assured guarantee" that you will get your desired job once you are done or have you based your assurance on some random career assessment poll quoting figures that cannot be validated?

I might sound harsh, but I have the best of all intentions and don't want you to go along with this mentality of "group think" wherein there is harmonious acceptance to your plans without critically considering the downsides. As one poster rightly mentioned, being an adult and also broke at the same time is not a funny thing at all. You will be amazed how quickly you will deplete your savings if there is no source to replace them.

What if you don't get the UN/EU job? What are your plans after this? If you cannot provide sincere answers to the questions above then I will suggest that you stick to your job for now till you are able do. Success is not all about making money or impact, Success first and foremost is about passion. The other factors will automatically align once your have laid a strong foundation for your self!

Ironically, life in its entirety is a 'zero sum game' so your exit from the O and G upstream sector will surely create space for another person to fulfill their life long ambition of making "Oyel" money as a lot on this domain refer to it!

All the best!

2 Likes

Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by omosexy1: 10:45am On Aug 10, 2012
@Poster there are some opportunities that should not be ignored. You have said money isn't everything. If you still want to remain a mediocre, you can stay in your job earn good salary, get bored, dream about wasting the opportunity and provide for your family. You sound like an intelligent guy and would definitely do well with your studies in Germany. Don't think much about the risk, people complain that there are no jobs yet the best always get employed. Take the offer, you got nothing to loss (all expense paid for), strive to top your class, pray hard and you will get your dream job. Also, try to learn other languages (like french, Portuguese e.t.c), other skills necessary are things you can readily obtain. Go, explore and be an international citizen for your country. God will not forsake you.
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by Chylo(m): 12:17pm On Aug 10, 2012
Lots of people are so shortsighted, they see things only from now. In the future, maybe after 20-30 years, the difference will begin to emerge between people who followed their passion, and those who simply followed money.

IMHO, now is the time to pay the sacrifice for tomorrow. Get the PhD as you have said and eventually, u'll end up with a more fulfilled career.

NB: I was the one who posted about the internship stuff from manchester.

chamber2: Yours is an impressive profile. However, the labour market can be very funny a times. Just few days ago i read a post here on nairaland of a young man with a Masters degree in development studies from the University of Manchester seeking advise on how to get an ''internship'' with those organisations you listed.
Re: Masters In Europe Or O&G Upstream Job In Nigeria by chamber2(m): 1:21pm On Aug 10, 2012
^^^

Okay. But my reference to your case was to emphasize the relative difficulty in getting jobs in those organisations. Nothing more....

(1) (2) (Reply)

Life Of A Banker / OAUTHC CBT Test Past Questions / Virtual Training on CISSP, CISA, CISM, CRISC, CCSP, CEH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.