Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,927 members, 7,817,717 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

House Foundation Cost Quotation - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / House Foundation Cost Quotation (18155 Views)

Is This Quotation Right for 2 Bedroom Apartment? / give thanks / Can A House Foundation Be Easily Converted For Other Purpose Like Workshop? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

House Foundation Cost Quotation by sheade(f): 5:49pm On Feb 13, 2008
hey everyone, question I recently inquire to get a quotation to start foundation for 4 bdrm 4.5 bath bungalow
I was quoted roughly 600,000 naira(this is including architect drawing), and I was told after that they have to fill it with "laterite" seperate charge i guess
. this house will be build around sango-ota area if anyone know an architect, builder please fwd me contact name and phone. I want to get at least 2 to 3 quote, mind you I'm currently not living in naija. also was the 600,000 quotation I got reasonable? anyone with an expert opinion. thanks
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by ajileko: 6:52pm On Feb 13, 2008
Assuming there is no structural drawing required, architectural drawing should be no more that that 70,000 naira. And also assuming that your land is not in a swampy or peat area, foundation alone should not cost you that much for a bungalow. At most, I will say 400,000 naira. Have him break down the bill of quantity in terms of the materials needed and workmanship fee.
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by ololade34(f): 7:20pm On Feb 13, 2008
I sort of agree with ajileko, it should be between 400 to 500 thousand naira depending on the size of the building, soil texture and area. Yes the foundation would need to be filled with laterite which you'll have to pay for separately, so is the German floor that will follow the filling, it's good that you're getting other quotations as well, but beware of some builders as they will give you low quotation to start with so as to get the job and then come back to tell you that materials bought is not enough, so when negotiating tell the builder you won't be adding a penny or buying anymore building material.
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by ajileko: 7:35pm On Feb 13, 2008
Yes, the filling/laterite is always separate. The best thing is to have him provide the bill of quantity for the foundation. You can now see a clear picture of how he came up with his cost.
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by sheade(f): 9:41pm On Feb 13, 2008
thanks, everyone for replying, I will post the whole quotation later on, but looking at the quotation
is architect design and architect drawing different thing, he is charging $60,000 for design
and $90,000 for drawing and was told there will be 10% charge for job supervision is this charge
normal. thks
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by ajileko: 1:44am On Feb 14, 2008
That is bull shit. Fire him right away. This is the beginning of ripoff artist. I can sense it First of all, architectural design and architectural drawing are the same thing. He designed the home and put it on a hard copy (paper). And Since this is only a bungalow, you wouldn't need a structural drawing. Plus, why would he supervise the project? Give that to somebody else you trust. Now I can see where he came up with the 600,000 figure. 90,000 + 55,000 (superision fee) = 145,000.
Don't use him or else you will regret it. Try the two in house architect like megapro or thirdeye, these guys are very good and reasonable.
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by youngmill(m): 2:39pm On Feb 14, 2008
sheade:

thanks, everyone for replying, I will post the whole quotation later on, but looking at the quotation
is architect design and architect drawing different thing, he is charging $60,000 for design
and $90,000 for drawing and was told there will be 10% charge for job supervision is this charge
normal. thks

In my opinion the two are different,the architect design is the designing of how the building will look on paper with emphases on the structural element of the building, in most cases it can be altered before the architect drawing (building plan) is made but considering you building a bungalow, then you shouldn't need it. The architect drawing is what you'll submit for approval of the building. About him charging 10% for him supervising, well you going to have to negotiate further on that, try to negotiate on a fixed amount, make him an offer you're comfortable with and see if he'll accepts. Since you said the architect design and drawing is included in the quotation 600-150=450, that amount sounds alright for the foundation but try and negotiate further as the price might be further reduced, tell him you don't need architect design, that's 60k less the amount you'll be paying if you end up using him, but it's good you're getting other quotation.
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by boyelarry: 5:43pm On Feb 14, 2008
Hello,
It looks like a lot of memebers have not been reading my post on issues like this. It is quite wrong for people to come on to this forum to be assuming prices for construction. This is b/cos there is peculiarity when it comes to construction. an example is for the same kind of drawing in different location, the prices may be different just because of the difference in the thopography of the land. It might just be as a result of the slope. The process for anybody wanting to develop a building is to get an archiect for a design call about two to three builders to submit quotation for the construction based on the design. please ensure that your architect visit the land as the condition of the land sometimes determines the design. since it is a bungalow you dont need a structural drawing. I am a builder and the name of my company is seggs & partners. we also have an in house architect who is a partner. if you want to reach me you could call me on 2348029478202 or mail me to seggs.partners@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by fatherab1: 11:24am On Feb 15, 2008
Concerning the supervision, it is better the architect does the supervision in order to bring out the original concept perfectly by ensuring strict adherence to the drawing. An engineer can also do this though. Try to avoid percentages when negotiating. You cant predict where it can land you at the end.

As for the prices, you cannot sit in from of a computer and allocate prices for building works. Like someone said above, it depends on the location, size, features, terrain, etc

Regarding the difference between drawing and design, there is a HUGE difference. i doubt whether those who say there are the same actually belong to the construction industry. An architectural drawing only shows the elevations: side view, front view, cross-sections, roof plans etc; but the other one is called structural design. It is done by civil engineers though an experienced architect can risk doing it. Structural design is a must for storey buldings but recommended/optional for bungalows. I just finished working on the structural design of a bungalow to be located somewhere along Lekki expressway, lagos.
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by jidody(m): 2:56pm On Feb 15, 2008
sheade:

hey everyone, question I recently inquire to get a quotation to start foundation for 4 bdrm 4.5 bath bungalow
I was quoted roughly 600,000 naira(this is including architect drawing), and I was told after that they have to fill it with "laterite" seperate charge i guess
. this house will be build around sango-ota area if anyone know an architect, builder please fwd me contact name and phone. I want to get at least 2 to 3 quote, mind you I'm currently not living in naija. also was the 600,000 quotation I got reasonable? anyone with an expert opinion. thanks

The amount quoted is very reasonable. I am personally supervising one reasonably sized bungalow and I have spent about N550k already, might still spend more b4 the getting to the stage where I'll need laterite.
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by segzicres(m): 1:46pm On Jul 08, 2009
ajikole every architect has his/her way of doing things. a bus conductor will determine how much he will tak efrom the passengers. it's just like that.
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by ajileko: 10:32pm On Jul 08, 2009
The amount is not reasonable. First all, 150k for building plan/drawing for a 4 bdrm bungalow without structural plan/design is way too high. I would not pay more that 70k for this. Also the location is in Sango Ota where the soil is very strong and stiff so under no circumstances should the foundation cost 600k even for a 5 bdrm bungalow. Majority of the work involved in foundation is block work unless if it's raft or pile then much of that will be concrete and reinforcement iron.
My rough estimate on materials will be as follows:
- clear site and bushes 5k (Malam will do this cheap)
- Wood for pegging, nails and labor about 15k
- Digging foundation 15k
- 1.5 lorry of Granite (10 Tons) Mainly for the foundation slab (4 - 6 in)
- 2 lorry of sharp (20 Tons) For foundation slab and block setting to DPC level
- About 30 - 40 bags of cement at most
- About 600 - 700 of blocks at most ( Assuming 4 coaches)
- water 5k
- Brick layer fee 70k at most

@ segzi cres, good luck geting business.

1 Like

Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by Woodpecker(m): 12:15am On Jul 09, 2009
@ ajileko
u are one of those who are destroying the architectural profession in this country with ur quack analysis
let me educate u on one thing; the architect charges based on percentages, its only a draughtsman that will collect 80k for a 4 bedrm bungalow design. An architect is actually to charge 4.75% of the 1st N5m of the value of the bldg, 4.25% of the next N5m of the value and the %age value reduces with the increase in the cost of the project. so we can say an architect collects abt 3.75% on the average.
he also breaks this into 3 stages
1 the architectural design presentation drawings (25% of his fee)
2 the architectural working drawings (50% of his fee)
3 the supervision stage (25% of his fee)
believe me this architect's price was really really cheap so pls mr ajileko dont give opinions in matters in which u r not qualified in anyway to do so, hope i've enlightened u?
also ur analysis of the cost of construction is totally uninformed; r u aware that prices of materials and labour hav gone up, 450k is very reasonable for the foundation abeg. pls dont try to spoil another man's own because u 1t to put some change in ur pocket or do u think the lady 1ts to building a large hut?

1 Like

Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by rusnom2000: 6:40am On Jul 09, 2009
hello,
i want to believe that some people are getting this idea of costing wrong. costing in construction a was rightly said in one of the reply has peculiarties. finishes and other specifications may shoot the price up even if they are constructd side by side. well my own opinion is that depending on the client involved thearchitect should be fair with his charges as the situation in the country is hrd and a high professional charge scares clients away.good job to all
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by looking09: 9:40am On Jul 09, 2009
So this percentage madness in Nigeria has now gotten to architect's as well. Please where in the world does a professional charge a percentage of the value of the project, I would expect him to charge on the amount of work that he needs to carry out.

How can a lawer tell you he wants 10% of the value of your land, and the agency wants another 10% then the architect wants 4%.

Na wa o! if man wan thief e better to carry gun make all man know say na thief.

Any way back to the thread, I am building 4 units of 4 bedroom terrace houses see my cost below I would expect your's to be far less -:

Drawing of plan and approval - 120K
Pegging and digging of foundation - 25K
rods @ N1600 12mm 150K
granite 45 tons 230 K
sand 36K
cement 180K
blocks 270 K
labour(iron bender, carpenter, brick layers, german floor ) 175K

Total = 1.85M ( Remenber this is for 4 terrace houses )
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by ajileko: 5:50pm On Jul 09, 2009
@ woodpecker I will advice you to shut up if you don't know what you are talking about. If you are an architect then you need some learning to do.
And please be adviced that you are been watched carefully.

@ looking09 This is just for the foundation, I believed and where is the location of this project.
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by Woodpecker(m): 11:20pm On Jul 09, 2009
and we wonder y buildings keep on collapsing in lagos, there are so many quacks calling themselves "builders". Any qualified architect will tell u that they actually bill by percentages or per hour. for instance; FMA Architects bill about N20,000 per hour of work spent on a client's work, although their charges are considered very high. But then again it just happens that some people dont mind the drawings these draughtsmen draw up afterall all they really need is a roof over their heads (whether or not that roof leaks)
ps-
boy ajileko, i dont care what u spend ur time doin, so u can watch all u want, u jst mite learn something!

1 Like

Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by larez(m): 7:15am On Jul 18, 2009
I charge $225.00/Hr consultation with a minimum of 2 hours including traveling time, if I need to come out to meet the client. Ignorant guys like Ajileko (sufferhead) are the types who low-ball to trap the client and then steal them blind. My average design af approximately a 4000 sqft (heated) home costs my clients $8000.00 to $12,000.00. But then, my name stands behind the home. This is the most important cost to the client. Talent is priceless and market rates determine it's price, not drudging hourly labour. Ajileko is merely a foreman that you put at your site to make sure the workers there follow instructions. He can't understand the concept of the dignity behind Architecture.

He wouldn't know the difference between a Claude Monet, Van Gogh etc, from a painting being sold along Ikeja road by a street hawker.

2 Likes

Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by grace5: 4:10pm On Jul 18, 2009
Woodpecker ; grin grin since you seem to know much helps me out for rough estimate of cost of building 5 bed room house with prayer room also b/q the land is not waterlogged good and flat what kind of foundation .you might handle it if price is reasonable
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by popsi: 5:17pm On Jul 18, 2009
I still find it shocking that our so called builders/Arc cannot for the life of me give a rough estimate as to how much it might cost to put up an average structure (with all other things being equal). For the life of me do people actually understand want a rough estimate means. I just get a bit apprehensive when a so called experience builder cant give an estimate. It quickly gives one a glue, if one's estimates too high/low for a project, his/her so called experience is quickly called into question. I am not a builder, just a guy that has lots of interest in building and i can give a rough estimate as to how much a project might gallop with all other things being equal. Does it mean i have more experience than our so called educated professionals? I seriously hope not.
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by larez(m): 6:12pm On Jul 18, 2009
popsi:

I still find it shocking that our so called builders/Arc cannot for the life of me give a rough estimate as to how much it might cost to put up an average structure (with all other things being equal). For the life of me do people actually understand want a rough estimate means. I just get a bit apprehensive when a so called experience builder cant give an estimate. It quickly gives one a glue, if one's estimates too high/low for a project, his/her so called experience is quickly called into question. I am not a builder, just a guy that has lots of interest in building and i can give a rough estimate as to how much a project might gallop with all other things being equal. Does it mean i have more experience than our so called educated professionals? I seriously hope not.

Lol @Popsi, It shall cost you 218 shillings and 10 pence.

2 Likes

Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by popsi: 6:19pm On Jul 18, 2009
larez:

Lol @Popsi, It shall cost you 218 shillings and 10 pence.

@larez
At least you've given ur own estimate, let people make their own judgement as to your suitability/experience
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by Woodpecker(m): 1:21am On Jul 19, 2009
grace5:

Woodpecker ; grin grin since you seem to know much helps me out for rough estimate of cost of building 5 bed room house with prayer room also b/q the land is not waterlogged good and flat what kind of foundation .you might handle it if price is reasonable
this house is it a bungalow or duplex? if its a bungalow 12m will build it using very good (but not elaborate) finishing, if its a duplex about 16m will do it bt it also depends on the location and the design so i'll say with both its goin 2 be + or - 3m. foundation type is strip,
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by botahj: 2:33am On Jul 19, 2009
@Woodpecker

Pls i would like to know the probable estimate it would cost me to build a 4 bedroom bungalow with 2 of the rooms all ensuite inclusive of professional fees. Kindly give a break down of the different stages of the project like the foundation, lintel and roofing assuming the land to be used for the project is situated in lagos. thanks
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by larez(m): 7:14am On Jul 19, 2009
It is very amazing to continue reading this thread realizing how ignorant people really are about home design and construction. It is very obvious that this is the type of ignorance that causes the collapse of buildings in Nigeria, and the numerous numbers of unsafe structures as well. I will therefore try to embark on trying to educate people some. Hopefully, this will make a difference.

Here are some basic rules to keep in mind first:

1.   You will always get what you pay for.

2.   A cheap price will get you a cheap product and will probably cost you more to  fix it than if you had paid for a quality product.

3.   People who offer you cheap prices are not necessarily of good intentions and may want to lasso you in with their price. Same people once you begin with them will soon teach you a lesson with inferior products and blackmail to pay more or you're on your own. Usually, people with pride and dignity will choose to correct things out of pocket, before coming to you to pay more and losing face about their professionalism.

4.   A project clearly depends on the specs for it. The shell of a house may basically cost the same if the same construction process is used. But quality homes in Nigeria have adapted to using more advanced processes which may cost a little more. The finishes of a house could cost up to 4X of a basic finish of the same house.

5.   It is better to focus on the professionalism of a builder to seek one who takes pride in his work, and then try to negotiate the best possible deal with the person.

6.   Do not attempt to get bids on a building without specifying the exact process and material that will be used for construction of the building. A good Architect/Designer will assist you with this process and may come up with a material list as well as a finishing schedule for the project. Your contract should be tied to this and must include the type of windows, doors, plumbing and cabinet fixtures. It is important that you specify your floor and ceiling finishing schedules as well. A marble floor will definitely cost a lot more than a plain concrete floor covered in paint.

7. Do not trust people who want to give you houses that you know cost a lot more for little or nothing. Nobody gives away wealth to strangers without having their own agenda. They will get you good along the way and you will end up paying more while getting less. They will also keep you manipulated psychologically by holding on to the fake fact that they are doing you a favour.

8.  Remember once again that you will always get what you paid for, and no reputable contractor gives away quality houses for free. It is better to pay up front for a good quality product, than to get surprise hidden costs added to a bad product.

I hope these few words will assist those looking to build their homes, and I wish you the best in this process. Goodluck.

2 Likes

Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by Woodpecker(m): 9:37am On Jul 19, 2009
botahj:

@Woodpecker

Pls i would like to know the probable estimate it would cost me to build a 4 bedroom bungalow with 2 of the rooms all ensuite inclusive of a professional's fees. Kindly give a break down of the different stages of the project like the foundation, lintel and roofing assuming the land to be used for the project is situated in lagos. thanks
u can email me at teninchlonger@yahoo.com, we'll discuss better there.
larez:

It is very amazing to continue reading this thread realizing how ignorant people really are about home design and construction. It is very obvious that this is the type of ignorance that causes the collapse of buildings in Nigeria, and the numerous numbers of unsafe structures as well. I will therefore try to embark on trying to educate people some. Hopefully, this will make a difference.

Here are some basic rules to keep in mind first:

1. You will always get what you pay for.

2. A cheap price will get you a cheap product and will probably cost you more to fix it than if you had paid for a quality product.

3. People who offer you cheap prices are not necessarily of good intentions and may want to lasso you in with their price. Same people once you begin with them will soon teach you a lesson with inferior products and blackmail to pay more or you're on your own. Usually, people with pride and dignity will choose to correct things out of pocket, before coming to you to pay more and losing face about their professionalism.

4. A project clearly depends on the specs for it. The shell of a house may basically cost the same if the same construction process is used. But quality homes in Nigeria have adapted to using more advanced processes which may cost a little more. The finishes of a house could cost up to 4X of a basic finish of the same house.

5. It is better to focus on the professionalism of a builder to seek one who takes pride in his work, and then try to negotiate the best possible deal with the person.

6. Do not attempt to get bids on a building without specifying the exact process and material that will be used for construction of the building. A good Architect/Designer will assist you with this process and may come up with a material list as well as a finishing schedule for the project. Your contract should be tied to this and must include the type of windows, doors, plumbing and cabinet fixtures. It is important that you specify your floor and ceiling finishing schedules as well. A marble floor will definitely cost a lot more than a plain concrete floor covered in paint.

7. Do not trust people who want to give you houses that you know cost a lot more for little or nothing. Nobody gives away wealth to strangers without having their own agenda. They will get you good along the way and you will end up paying more while getting less. They will also keep you manipulated psychologically by holding on to the fake fact that they are doing you a favour.

8. Remember once again that you will always get what you paid for, and no reputable contractor gives away quality houses for free. It is better to pay up front for a good quality product, than to get surprise hidden costs added to a bad product.

I hope these few words will assist those looking to build their homes, and I wish you the best in this process. Goodluck.
true words, couldnt hav said it better myself
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by ajileko: 9:47pm On Jul 19, 2009
@ lanre, here you are stating the obvious again. This is building 101 that you are talking about and most people here already took and passed that course with flying colour. What the poster was trying to know is wether 600k is too much for a strip foundation in Sango Ota and the answer is "yes" given what we know, 600k is way too much for just a foundation. High price does not guarantee quality and quality should not be over priced.
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by larez(m): 10:10pm On Jul 19, 2009
ajileko:

@ lanre, here you are stating the obvious again. This is building 101 that you are talking about and most people here already took and passed that course with flying colour. What the poster was trying to know is wether 600k is too much for a strip foundation in Sango Ota and the answer is "yes" given what we know, 600k is way too much for just a foundation. High price does not guarantee quality and quality should not be over priced.

Who is this Lanre that you keep referring to? Why are you so concerned about building 101 or whatever you want to call it? Rather than putting all your efforts into me, why don't you do a breakdown of the costs and post over here? You are beginning to worry me with your defensive nature. Have you built anything for anyone here on Nairaland? Could you please mention them so we can hear what they have to say about dealing with you?
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by ajileko: 11:49pm On Jul 19, 2009
If you read this post carefully, you will see my break downs. And just for your info, I'm not a builder.
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by blinx4real(m): 3:21pm On Jul 20, 2009
I feel the question is quite simple and straightforward, all these parambulations and analysis will not do anybody any good.
I think Ajileko has been more forthcoming with his answers than all his antagonists and shows that he obviously has the kind of experience the others lack.

If I may just re-iterate his comments , high price doesn't guarantee quality and similarly quality should not be overpriced.[color=#990000][/color]

We should also be quick to question all these unnecessary hiking of prices for services, it says a lot about our mindset as a people - no wonder the govt claims to spend billions on fancy projects awarded to luxurious high class contrators, projects that can be carried out by road side artisans, (infact in asia, such projects are done by secondary school students) and at the end of the day we see no results
Re: House Foundation Cost Quotation by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jul 20, 2009
Very topic. I couldn't help laughing all through. Very very funny indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

@sheade (poster)
600k is not too bad for the whole job. But you could try negotiating a little bit downwards. Don't bother urself bout the price of the design, he might not be good at breaking down cost. Just have a lump sum agreement. But most importantly, his competence is paramount. I am tire of people inviting for for correction, alteration and renovation of buildings less than 15 years.

@ all
For someone for give you a job, he must have confidence first on your ability to deliver. It is now really about the price. Those who are more interested in price rather than competence @ the initial stage end up uncontiously spending more. Believe me!!!

Location; remenber this is Sango. I am an architect/builder based in Lekki. I personally will not work in Sango for now except the client is very dear to me. Of course, sango will cost just a little bit more for me than Lekki, Ajah, V.I and Ikoyi cos of logistics. Pls consider this before crusifying the chap.

@Ajileko
ur analysis of 450 although good, is not realistic.
Your price will do the job quite alright, but thats if your are the contractor and only if you live and source for your workmanship in that location.
LOGISTICS EXAMPLE; If am to use a carpenter in sango, u dont expect me to go round the street of sango looking for somone I dont trust as against the tested and trusted hands I have here in Lekki. Someone has to pay for the trusted hands. I hope you understand.

@ Woodpecker
Ur charges analysis were correct. U must hav ur masters. These charges are taught only at masters level of arc study.
Someday soon we'll get there
The days when we will charge percentages per hour. But for now lets assist fellow nairalanders. Perhaps for good recommedation
The rates are no longer per hour but
225k per day for arcs that are NIA fellows
195k per day for arcs that are NIA members with over 10 experience
155k per day for arcs that are NIA members with over 7 experience
125k per day for arcs that are NIA members with over 5 experience
Remembers this is fed govt approved. It covers feeding, hotel fee, and transportation from any part of Nigeria.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Plots Of Land For Sale @ Platinum Park Estate (magboro) Nigeria (With Pictures) / Landlords Or Agents Duping Prospective Tenants: How To Avoid Being Scammed Too / Hot Offer! Beachfield Estate Epe Now Selling N850k Per Plot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.