Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,160 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:01 AM

Correlation Between Corruption/lack Of Societal Development And Theism/atheism. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Correlation Between Corruption/lack Of Societal Development And Theism/atheism. (1572 Views)

The Sum Of All Arguments on Theism and Atheism - 2013 / Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) / Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Correlation Between Corruption/lack Of Societal Development And Theism/atheism. by claremont(m): 1:24pm On Dec 08, 2012
I saw this note on Facebook and decided to share it here, I think there is an element of truth in it.

THOUGHT FOR FOOD: Something struck me yesterday when I look at Tranparency International's corruption perception index - again: - Denmark, Finland, New Zealand tied in 1st place for least corrupt nations. They also happen to have the highest population of atheists in the world! Hehehe. That got me thinking a little bit.

Questions:
1. Is excessive 'religion' a by-product of ...excessive 'moral corruption'?
2. Does this mean that believers are hypocrites and unbelievers are not?
3. Does belief in a God make people very self-involved that feel invincible?
4. Does Atheism force a person to be accountable for their actions & does belief in good/dark forces exempt religious types from this?
5. Poor countries = high theism. Rich countries = high atheism. What therefore is the relationship between theism/atheism & the economy?
Culled from Kathleen Ndongmo (Facebook, 2012)

1 Like

Re: Correlation Between Corruption/lack Of Societal Development And Theism/atheism. by Nobody: 1:48pm On Dec 08, 2012
I have talked about this issue on numerous threads;

https://www.nairaland.com/1115390/religion-takes-another-fatal-blow...this
https://www.nairaland.com/1091996/atheists-more-moral-than-christians

It is a contradiction that many religious people live with; Countries with less religion do better on a general scale
Re: Correlation Between Corruption/lack Of Societal Development And Theism/atheism. by plaetton: 2:28pm On Dec 08, 2012
It has always been there staring everyone in the face. It is a question that religious folks are too afraid to hear, let alone answer.

The key word here is personal responsibility

1 Like

Re: Correlation Between Corruption/lack Of Societal Development And Theism/atheism. by Nobody: 2:33pm On Dec 08, 2012
plaetton: It has always been there staring everyone in the face. It is a question that religious folks are too afraid to hear, let alone answer.

The key word here is personal responsibility

Well, a FEW christians on one of my threads accepted this issue of less religious countries doing better and leaving them in a contradiction.

Unfrtuantely, hardly any muslim was willing to directly address the issue when I raised it up- they mostly redirect the argument to imperialism of the West (America and UK)

1 Like

Re: Correlation Between Corruption/lack Of Societal Development And Theism/atheism. by plaetton: 2:42pm On Dec 08, 2012
Logicboy03:

Well, a FEW christians on one of my threads accepted this issue of less religious countries doing better and leaving them in a contradiction.

Unfrtuantely, hardly any muslim was willing to directly address the issue when I raised it up- they mostly redirect the argument to imperialism of the West (America and UK)

Another question I always ask them is if religion was so good and and wonderful, and the bible so historically true, why do western countries not compulsorily teach them like science in their public schools?
Obviously they know something that we don't.
Re: Correlation Between Corruption/lack Of Societal Development And Theism/atheism. by manmustwac(m): 2:46pm On Dec 08, 2012
claremont: I saw this note on Facebook and decided to share it here, I think there is an element of truth in it.

THOUGHT FOR FOOD: Something struck me yesterday when I look at Tranparency International's corruption perception index - again: - Denmark, Finland, New Zealand tied in 1st place for least corrupt nations. They also happen to have the highest population of atheists in the world! Hehehe. That got me thinking a little bit.

Questions:
1. Is excessive 'religion' a by-product of ...excessive 'moral corruption'?
2. Does this mean that believers are hypocrites and unbelievers are not?
3. Does belief in a God make people very self-involved that feel invincible?
4. Does Atheism force a person to be accountable for their actions & does belief in good/dark forces exempt religious types from this?
5. Poor countries = high theism. Rich countries = high atheism. What therefore is the relationship between theism/atheism & the economy?
Culled from Kathleen Ndongmo (Facebook, 2012)
1.I think its due to the fact that we're still a developing country. We are living in the middle ages or dark ages compared to developed countries. Our minds are still evolving we still have a long way to go
2.Yes
3.Its like a placebo or psycological medicine that helps the mind deal with REALITY and suffering. They say religion is the opium of the masses.
4.I believe atheists think differently and reason differently. I mean we don't look up to any God to help us or guide us. We know we're responsible for our own actions.
5.I ALL atheist countries were very religious at some point. Atheist countries can see & deal with reality while theist countries believe & even hope & depend on God to solve their problems

2 Likes

Re: Correlation Between Corruption/lack Of Societal Development And Theism/atheism. by Nobody: 2:53pm On Dec 08, 2012
plaetton:

Another question I always ask them is if religion was so good and and wonderful, and the bible so historically true, why do western countries not compulsorily teach them like science in their public schools?
Obviously they know something that we don't.

Great question. I didnt even think of that. This is my new topic!
Re: Correlation Between Corruption/lack Of Societal Development And Theism/atheism. by plaetton: 2:56pm On Dec 08, 2012
@op.
One of the most attractive things about Religion is that it offers the faithful a GET-OUT-OF-JAIL CARD. It is called prayer and forgiveness.
And ofcourse, dont forget the devil, the omnipresent fall guy.

With Forgiveness card and the Devil card in your wallet, personal responsibility is partially or completed abdicated.

With forgiveness,the moral and ethical thresholds are always shifting. No matter the gravity of the sin, God can always forgive a contrite(even if temporary) heart.

The christian gospels even tell you that Jesus died for your sins. Unlike rival philosophical and religious systems, the christian religion was unique in that they embraced sinners,thieves,the wicked, the scums of society with a promise of instant forgiveness.
This to me, was part of what made early christianity both a magnet for new converts as well being one of the reasons why they were mocked and persecuted by Roman authorities who viewed them as a potential threat to the moral and ethical fabrics of their society.
Re: Correlation Between Corruption/lack Of Societal Development And Theism/atheism. by claremont(m): 3:13pm On Dec 08, 2012
Guys, how do we then explain the fact that America seems to be a deviation from this hypothesis. America is a country that is fairly balanced in terms of religious/non-religious diversity, yet it is arguably the most developed country in the world. It is a country that cannot be said to be mainly Theistic or Atheistic, some people would even argue that it is more theistic than Atheistic, but it has experienced massive development regardless of the influence of religion.

Is it safe for us to say that America is a deviation from this trend?!
Re: Correlation Between Corruption/lack Of Societal Development And Theism/atheism. by Nobody: 3:27pm On Dec 08, 2012
claremont: Guys, how do we then explain the fact that America seems to be a deviation from this hypothesis. America is a country that is fairly balanced in terms of religious/non-religious diversity, yet it is arguably the most developed country in the world. It is a country that cannot be said to be mainly Theistic or Atheistic, some people would even argue that it is more theistic than Atheistic, but it has experienced massive development regardless of the influence of religion.

Is it safe for us to say that America is a deviation from this trend?!

America is not the most developed country in the world. It ranks at no 3. in top advanced countries and it ranks poorly in healthcare stats/peace index among developed nations.

However, there is no denying that America is advanced and one of the richest countries in the world.

Also, America is also one of the few developed countries still fighting over gay rights and evolution.

America is an exception but for good reasons, the people are mostly religious but the constitution is very secular.

2 Likes

Re: Correlation Between Corruption/lack Of Societal Development And Theism/atheism. by plaetton: 3:30pm On Dec 08, 2012
No. America is indeed unique.
We have to give all credit to the founding fathers.
America was founded and populated by people who were escaping the deep religous shisms and persecution of their European homelands.
Although the early settlers were themselves religious, the founding father were Freemasons, men who understood religion and its overwhelming negative influence to the human psyche.
Although they loathed religion, they also understood that religion cannot be banned away. So they subtly and cleverly emasculated religion by keeping religion separated from the Powers of the State.
They made religion a personal affair rather than a state affair. They also, I suppose, knew and hoped that over time,no matter how long,that reason would triumph over faith.
This separation of state and religion allowed people unfetted access to new ideas and world view. This, in turn, attracted immigrants of every culture and talent to the melting pot of America, where they all contributed their talents, unmolested by any religious dogma, in creating the wealthiest and most dynamic nation in the world.
America has continued to progress because, at all levels of government, religiously inspired laws, have over time, been replaced by ethical secular laws that accommodate all.

3 Likes

Re: Correlation Between Corruption/lack Of Societal Development And Theism/atheism. by Nobody: 4:59pm On Dec 12, 2012
Where are the religious peeps on this thread?

(1) (Reply)

The Truth About Religion; All These Pastors Also Know! / 100 Days Fasting(rccg) Begins Today! / Dr. Myles Munroe And Wife Die In Plane Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.