Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,242 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:48 AM

Herbal Medicine(alternative Medicine) Versus Orthodox Medicine - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Herbal Medicine(alternative Medicine) Versus Orthodox Medicine (21590 Views)

Can Alternative Medicine Or Remedies Cure Staphylococcus Permanently? / The Menace Of Sepe, Agbo-Jedi: Pile Herbal-Medicine / What Do You Think Of The Use Of Alternative Medicine (herbs) In Pregnancy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Herbal Medicine(alternative Medicine) Versus Orthodox Medicine by Nobody: 2:29pm On Dec 09, 2012
In recent times,there seems to be an increase in popularity of herbal medicine, and a serious rivalry between herbal and orthodox medicines. In my view,more people are now begining to resort more to herbal medication at the expense of the orthodox. Especially as some of the chinese and nigerian companies now package the herbs in form of tablets,syrups etc similar to the orthodox. And have also developed sophisticated facilities/machine to aid their treatment

The herbal doctors argue that the orthodox drugs are chemicals(not natural to the body system) and so very much harmful. On the other hand,orthodox medics insist that herbal drugs have poor dosage and there's no systematic data on the side effects of the herbs. Orthodox Medics also accuse them of propagating falsehood sometimes like cure of AIDS,cancer etc

In as much as most patients still prefer orthodox medicine to herbal medicine,the herbal dealers aren't relenting at all. They've tenaciously kept their marketing,distribution and networking on.

Recently,a colleague told me that he was cured by a herbal drug prescribed by a medical doctor,after several attempts with orthodox medicine.

That rivalry/cold war still occur here on nairaland

My questions are...

*is herbal medication more curative than orthodox?

*do herbal medications really have less complications/side effects than orthodox?

*can the herbal drugs be administered in doses?

*can both(herbal/orthodox) be taken simultaneously for the same or different illness?

*should the herbal medicine be allowed into the hospitals?

*other forms of alternative medicine like acupuncture/oriental medicine etc...are they effective?

*Is it ethically right for a doctor to prescribe herbal medication?

*Do you think,in future, alternative/herbal medicine will replace orthodox medicine,as the most widely acknowledged method of treating illness?
Re: Herbal Medicine(alternative Medicine) Versus Orthodox Medicine by Walexz02(m): 10:16pm On Jan 09, 2013
...to your last question: I think so, if properly handled.
Re: Herbal Medicine(alternative Medicine) Versus Orthodox Medicine by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jan 09, 2013
Walexz02: ...to your last question: I think so, if properly handled.
sometimes i think so. Considering how they now package the herbs. But some how the orthodox keeps making head way in research and keep their pace far ahead of herbal medicine.
Re: Herbal Medicine(alternative Medicine) Versus Orthodox Medicine by JallowBah(f): 11:04pm On Jan 09, 2013
The world have been using herbal medicine for many, many, many years.
Some of it work, some of it don`t work. Everyones body is different, and reacts different to treatment. But that also goes for the "new" medications.

I always try to use old-medicines and tips, before resorting to f.ex antibiotics, or things bought in the pharmacy.
I actually loved that about Gambia..they would always try herb-things with me at first, even in the pharmacy the doctor would give us tips, before giving out pills.

People seem to become more and more aware of the natural things, and eating more organic, making things from start, instead of buying everything full/half-made. And that is a damn good thing.

I do believe that many western people are opening the eyes more for this now, than before. They try the natural ways more and more before going to a doctor. They seek homeopaths ( I do believe that is the right word for a "doc" who treats the patients mainly with old medicine and tips.. ) instead of a hospital, for many things; head-ache, migrene, anxiety, stress, giving birth, etc, etc.

The price, however, tend to be more expensive in the EU-countries on old medicine, compared to new. Unless you have your own garden, of course..
Re: Herbal Medicine(alternative Medicine) Versus Orthodox Medicine by Nobody: 10:06am On Jan 10, 2013
Thanks jallowah. So medical doctors are allowed to prescribe herbal medications in your country?

i really learnt alot from your post. Yes, herbal medication was a main therapeutic option years back. But what i keep wondering is how the herbal/natural medicine lost the trust of most people. Could it be the same 'modernization' or is there another thing to it...

People who tend to patronize the herbal usually do so in combination with orthodox. Like my mum is currently on drugs for diabetics buh she still takes some herbal medication from germany.
Re: Herbal Medicine(alternative Medicine) Versus Orthodox Medicine by JallowBah(f): 6:00pm On Jan 10, 2013
centje: Thanks jallowah. So medical doctors are allowed to prescribe herbal medications in your country?

i really learnt alot from your post. Yes, herbal medication was a main therapeutic option years back. But what i keep wondering is how the herbal/natural medicine lost the trust of most people. Could it be the same 'modernization' or is there another thing to it...

People who tend to patronize the herbal usually do so in combination with orthodox. Like my mum is currently on drugs for diabetics buh she still takes some herbal medication from germany.

It`s about politics, and money.
Look at hemp..yes, you can smoke it, and get high, but you can also relieve pain, help fighting cancer, isolation for house, clothes, shoes, bags, house, chairs, etc, etc...it is FAR more cheap, and it grow naturally, but still, it is banned from almost all of the world, and why? Politics and money.

Sadly, much of the use of natural herbs have gotten lost on the way in Scandinavia, and Europe. It`s still here, and it seems like people are trying to learn more about it again.
Medical doctors don`t usually prescribe herbal medicine, but there are health-shops that sell some herbal things that you can use ( with f.ex fresh cold, headche, problems sleeping, etc ), but it still ten times more expensive than growing it yourself.
Re: Herbal Medicine(alternative Medicine) Versus Orthodox Medicine by Nobody: 7:48pm On Jan 10, 2013
As for nigeria,Herbal medication business is really thriving. Their activities here on nairaland in good pointer to that. And they are making serious effort to give it a scientific outlook. ..dosage,machines that conduct tests etc
Re: Herbal Medicine(alternative Medicine) Versus Orthodox Medicine by JallowBah(f): 8:27pm On Jan 10, 2013
centje: As for nigeria,Herbal medication business is really thriving. Their activities here on nairaland in good pointer to that. And they are making serious effort to give it a scientific outlook. ..dosage,machines that conduct tests etc

They want to take it into the "new medicine", but use it completely natural, the old way? If I get you correct..

The problem with the new medicine, and the goverments, is that they put so much bullshit in the herbal medicines, to make them last longer, so they can take more money for it, and then they just break the whole "natural-herb medicine" - rule. It is supposed to NOT be added anything..
Re: Herbal Medicine(alternative Medicine) Versus Orthodox Medicine by Nobody: 10:18pm On Jan 10, 2013
JallowBah:

They want to take it into the "new medicine", but use it completely natural, the old way? If I get you correct..

The problem with the new medicine, and the goverments, is that they put so much bullshit in the herbal medicines, to make them last longer, so they can take more money for it, and then they just break the whole "natural-herb medicine" - rule. It is supposed to NOT be added anything..
wow! That's a new one(that the additional substances distort their natural forms)...i never thought of that.

So which form should it be then? Some people (in nigeria), who want the herbs in their natural forms, put them in alcohol.
Re: Herbal Medicine(alternative Medicine) Versus Orthodox Medicine by JallowBah(f): 12:01am On Jan 11, 2013
centje: wow! That's a new one(that the additional substances distort their natural forms)...i never thought of that.

So which form should it be then? Some people (in nigeria), who want the herbs in their natural forms, put them in alcohol.

For me, it depends on what you are using it for.
Many people dry leaves and grass and trees to use for medicine, or have plants, f.ex aloe vera, in their kitchen, always fresh.
The only herbal-medicines I know of, are that kind. I try to always get as organic things as possible, frm the country it is made in instead of paying three times higher the price to import it to Norway.

Like pure shea butter..In Gambia, one big jar of mayonese filled with completely pure, handmade shea butter cost around 5-6 $. In Norway, that same amount would cost around 100$, and still; the people who made it, would probably not make more money than the original 5$.

Always buy local, buy as pure things as you can, and learn about what the nature in your country can help with. I am still learning, since much got lost on the way up heresmiley
Re: Herbal Medicine(alternative Medicine) Versus Orthodox Medicine by Nobody: 3:57am On Jan 11, 2013
@jallowbah
That's so much difference in price. Thanks anyway!
Re: Herbal Medicine(alternative Medicine) Versus Orthodox Medicine by sigmundfreud(m): 4:28pm On Jan 21, 2013
'there is nothing new under the heavens'
Medicine, as we know it today, evolved from practices that we call traditional today. The white man analysed, quantified and isolated chemicals and packaged them into tablets prescribed in doses!
He went further to study its effects on the body(pharmacodynamics) and the body's effect on the drug (pharmacokinetics).
With advances in tech., he sits in his lab to synthesize chemicals targeted at specific receptors, bypassing the extraction from leaves or other natural resources....
Well, we are just starting. Its a good development!
Re: Herbal Medicine(alternative Medicine) Versus Orthodox Medicine by JallowBah(f): 5:41pm On Jan 21, 2013
sigmundfreud: 'there is nothing new under the heavens'
Medicine, as we know it today, evolved from practices that we call traditional today. The white man analysed, quantified and isolated chemicals and packaged them into tablets prescribed in doses!
He went further to study its effects on the body(pharmacodynamics) and the body's effect on the drug (pharmacokinetics).
With advances in tech., he sits in his lab to synthesize chemicals targeted at specific receptors, bypassing the extraction from leaves or other natural resources....
Well, we are just starting. Its a good development!

Not in every way, no. Instead trying herbal meds first, people run to the doctors when having a small fresh cold..

(1) (Reply)

How Many Times Do You Take Your Bath/shower Daily? / How Do I Get Rid Of My Keloids? / Man Born With His Heart In His Abdomen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.