Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,632 members, 7,809,370 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:24 AM

Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert (353230 Views)

How To Flash/install Custom Roms For Android Devices (S2,S3,S4 E.t.c.) / Jiayu F2,S2,S3,G4-G4s,G5-G5s,G6 Discussion Thread / Samsung Galaxy S2 Wifi Connection Problem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (166) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by laprem90: 12:46pm On Mar 19, 2013
I turned off my s2 this morning, on turning it back on some minutes later, its says enter network lock key and I've not been able to use my phone since then due to no network, I inserted another sim the same thing happend...please what's the solution? Thanks
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by UncleJJ(m): 4:55pm On Mar 19, 2013
honsule: @Stanley.Pls analyse this my Samsung Galaxy S3 for me.I suppose we are using the same type of phone.

Stan's proly busy with school - permit me to cover for him !

What you have in the image is a standard international version of the samsung GS3.

Your baseband tells you about your radio's/modems version - all these relate to your voice and data (call reception e.t.c)

Your kernel is similar to the central nervous system, its the core of the android software. It translates messages between the phones hardware and software - in this case the operating system. Whenever, you have a low battery, incoming call or sms - the kernel translates or tells the phone how to react.

You running the android 4.1.2, which is the jelly bean JB OS, your a little outdated for an international version, Since you guys pretty much get thr good stuff before carrier unlocked/locked version. And, Google already realesed 4.2.2.

However, your baseband version - IDK . Have you experienced any issue's with this phone. Seems like the sudden death version but like i said - IDK

Cant see the build nos , so we dont know you may running stock, maybe custom.
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by UncleJJ(m): 5:24pm On Mar 19, 2013
laprem90: I turned off my s2 this morning, on turning it back on some minutes later, its says enter network lock key and I've not been able to use my phone since then due to no network, I inserted another sim the same thing happend...please what's the solution? Thanks

Please make a screenshot of mobile phones (about device)

You can find it under setting > about device

Hold down, the power key and the home key.... not sure but works on s3 and my old galaxy s aka t499
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by Stanley08(m): 5:47pm On Mar 29, 2013
honsule: I quote this from your post: "my International Galaxy S3 IN BEAST MODE! Running a Custom ROM and a Custom Kernel!"

What is the major function of this your custom kernel?

I'm currently using an undervolted kernel, meaning that less power will be supplied to the phone from the battery causing phone to save ALOT more battery. Below is a screenshot of my phone after a whole day of use (3 hours on screen time), whatsapp, twitter, facebook messenger, two emails pushing and other stuff. Yet 43% battery left! smiley So dats what a custom kernel can do.

UncleJJ:

You running the android 4.1.2, which is the jelly bean JB OS, your a little outdated for an international version, Since you guys pretty much get thr good stuff before carrier unlocked/locked version. And, Google already realesed 4.2.2.

However, your baseband version - IDK . Have you experienced any issue's with this phone. Seems like the sudden death version but like i said - IDK

Yes mate! I have been SUPER busy at school. Project , 100 pages term paper for 5 courses and now exams in one week. It's been crazy! And thanks for covering for me. I stopped getting queries here also, so dats y i stopped coming online to check. wink

I have to disagree with you mate. On the issue about him being outdated. 4.1.2 is the Latest available firmware for the Galaxy S3 currently. A 4.2.1 firmware leaked (MB3) but it isn't stable. And it's a leak from someone's dump.
Before we can ascertain if his phone is SDS safe, we have to see the Build Number. Because firmwares newer than LLA is said to be 'SDS Safe'. Well i'm running the most recent MB5 (Custom ROM). I flash my phone with different ROMs almost every 2 - 3 days. tongue

I was running an Xperia Z ROM Yesterday. Today, i'm back to Stock-looking TouchWiz Sammy ROM cheesy
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by OmichaelO: 9:20pm On Mar 29, 2013
Am feeling you bro!! Still working on how to get the s2
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by UncleJJ(m): 1:01pm On Mar 30, 2013

Yes mate! I have been SUPER busy at school. Project , 100 pages term paper for 5 courses and now exams in one week. It's been cracy! And thanks for covering for me. I stopped getting queries here also, so dats y i stopped coming online to check. wink
[b]
I have to disagree with you mate. On the issue about him being outdated. 4.1.2 is the Latest available firmware for the Galaxy S3 [/b]currently. A 4.2.1 firmware leaked (MB3) but it isn't stable. And it's a leak from someone's dump.
Before we can ascertain if his phone is SDS safe, we have to see the Build Number. Because firmwares newer than LLA is said to be 'SDS Safe'. Well i'm running the most recent MB5 (Custom ROM). I flash my phone with different ROMs almost every 2 - 3 days. tongue

I was running an Xperia Z ROM Yesterday. Today, i'm back to Stock-looking TouchWiz Sammy ROM cheesy

My bad.... 4.2.2 is only available for nexus devices. But, cm already has nightly version for this.

About the kernel, i dnt see why i should flash a new kernel - when the real power consumption are on the mobiledata/wifi/sync . You can try battery saver its free on xda till april 18. I dnt play music or games on my GS3, use the ipod for music and videos and my pc can handle the games i like playing.

I prefer the stock android look , that cm offers to sick ugly samsung look. which is one of the reason's am waiting for a new model of nexus devices instead of getting an s4.....

samsung s3 has an ugly interface ---- no doubt undecided
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by honsule(m): 3:07pm On Mar 30, 2013
UncleJJ:

What you have in the image is a standard international version of the samsung GS3.

Your baseband tells you about your radio's/modems version - all these relate to your voice and data (call reception e.t.c)

Your kernel is similar to the central nervous system, its the core of the android software. It translates messages between the phones hardware and software - in this case the operating system. Whenever, you have a low battery, incoming call or sms - the kernel translates or tells the phone how to react.

Thanks for this vivid elucidation.I will start by saying,am not using any custom ROM for now.BELL is the default.I remember installing 4.2.1 and i discovered bug.my msg was blank.I will google and do a research on the 4.2.2 and see what is unique about it.
As for now my SGS3 is working Superb.I have NOT experience any issue with it,and i hope not to. wink wink
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by Stanley08(m): 4:11pm On Mar 30, 2013
UncleJJ:

My bad.... 4.2.2 is only available for nexus devices. But, cm already has nightly version for this.

About the kernel, i dnt see why i should flash a new kernel - when the real power consumption are on the mobiledata/wifi/sync . You can try battery saver its free on xda till april 18. I dnt play music or games on my GS3, use the ipod for music and videos and my pc can handle the games i like playing.

I prefer the stock android look , that cm offers to sick ugly samsung look. which is one of the reason's am waiting for a new model of nexus devices instead of getting an s4.....

samsung s3 has an ugly interface ---- no doubt undecided

I had Mobile data and sync active the whole of 24 hours. I don't own an iPod. tongue I play games on my phone just maybe 30 minutes in a whole week. And my lappy eats anything I throw at it smiley

Intel Core i5 2430M 2.4GHz (Turbo Boost to 3.0GHz)
Nvidia GeForce GT 540M with 1GB Dedicated Graphics
8GB DDR3 1333MHz RAM
750GB HDD

cheesy

And about S3 interface, I think TouchWiz Nature UX is beautiful and even TouchWiz Nature UX v2 will be more awesome. coming with the S4. And I will keep buying Sammy products because they are legendary and no Bootloader Drama. U heard S2 is getting 4.2.2 Yes? And S3 will also be getting 5.0 KeyLimePie OFFICIALLY. Samsung is the only Manufacturer dat updates as frequent as Google (Nexus Devices)
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by Stanley08(m): 4:15pm On Mar 30, 2013
O.michael.O:
Am feeling you bro!! Still working on how to get the s2

Thanks mate. Working on how to get an S2? How else?!
If you have 59,500 Brand New from Affordables
43K for Used from Payless Communications (with 6 months warranty) cheesy

Affordables
+2348023458077

Payless Communications
+2348163760679
+2348059295909

Choice is urs! cheesy
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by OmichaelO: 4:30pm On Mar 30, 2013
^thanks alot mate!! Will check 'em out on tuesday!!
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by Stanley08(m): 7:03pm On Mar 31, 2013
O.michael.O:
^thanks alot mate!! Will check 'em out on tuesday!!

No worries son! smiley

Also, Remember to buy the INTERNATIONAL version. which is GT-I9100 and not GT-I9100G OR GT-I9100M OR GT-I9100P

JUST GT-I9100. Don't buy AT&T, VERIZION, SPRINT. or any carrier.

Buy GT-I9100. Don't get cheated. smiley
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by honsule(m): 8:46pm On Mar 31, 2013
"You running the android 4.1.2, which is the jelly bean JB OS, your a little outdated for an international version, Since you guys pretty much get thr good stuff before carrier unlocked/locked version. And, Google already realesed 4.2.2."

Following this advice i decided to download and install the released JB 4.2.2 and If i must confess,i was disappointed.
I Decided to download 4.2.1 Omega Rom.that is what am using now

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by makky(f): 11:34pm On Mar 31, 2013
Okay, right now I don't understand NADA on what's been said on this thread, I just got an android yesterday and I feel am missing out big time cos the internet isn't working and I feel there's something I've not done right. Its a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I need serious help setting it up. I love gadgets and I just want everything on this one to work the way I want it.
STANLEY can you PLEASE take a look at my phone, even for 10mins? Am in lagos and I feel like throwing the phone away cos its useless right now. I got an Airtel on it n network is a mess, I wanna use my Etisalat on it, it is better? Pls just tell me what to do and how to go about it pleaseeeee? U can reach me on felmaz15@gmail.com. All I need is a working internet connection so I can set up my mails, get my live feeds and browse on it. I wanna get used to an Android os, tired of this bb platform.
By the way, its a good thing ur doing here and pray you help me out with mine. I know if u give me a good guide, I can do it on my own but I also wouldn't mind if I can meet u and u help me check the entire phone apps and update things for me. Thank you!
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by OmichaelO: 11:55pm On Mar 31, 2013
Lol @stanley.. Thanks father!!! I will do exactly that

@makky am sure stanley would be glad to help be he's not in nigeria At the moment..but he will br able to give you thru tho'
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by Stanley08(m): 1:41am On Apr 01, 2013
honsule: "You running the android 4.1.2, which is the jelly bean JB OS, your a little outdated for an international version, Since you guys pretty much get thr good stuff before carrier unlocked/locked version. And, Google already realesed 4.2.2."

Following this advice i decided to download and install the released JB 4.2.2 and If i must confess,i was disappointed.
I Decided to download 4.2.1 Omega Rom.that is what am using now

All MB3 ROMs have memory issues. I'm a heavy user tho... so maybe won't affect u. They not stable too.. Many Phones running MB3 have been reported Suddenly Dead (SDS). My advice is flash v43.1 or Neat ROM Lite v3.1 (The one I use)

makky: Okay, right now I don't understand NADA on what's been said on this thread, I just got an android yesterday and I feel am missing out big time cos the internet isn't working and I feel there's something I've not done right. Its a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I need serious help setting it up. I love gadgets and I just want everything on this one to work the way I want it.
STANLEY can you PLEASE take a look at my phone, even for 10mins? Am in lagos and I feel like throwing the phone away cos its useless right now. I got an Airtel on it n network is a mess, I wanna use my Etisalat on it, it is better? Pls just tell me what to do and how to go about it pleaseeeee? U can reach me on felmaz15@gmail.com. All I need is a working internet connection so I can set up my mails, get my live feeds and browse on it. I wanna get used to an Android os, tired of this bb platform.
By the way, its a good thing ur doing here and pray you help me out with mine. I know if u give me a good guide, I can do it on my own but I also wouldn't mind if I can meet u and u help me check the entire phone apps and update things for me. Thank you!

I'm in Accra right now, when I'm back in Lagos (Yaba) I sure will.. join my FB group in the first page and u will receive all the help you need there also.

O.michael.O:
Lol @stanley.. Thanks father!!! I will do exactly that

@makky am sure stanley would be glad to help be he's not in nigeria At the moment..but he will br able to give you thru tho'

Lol. Son. And yh, I will try my best to put him thru. I think one question at a time is a good start. tongue
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by Stanley08(m): 9:06am On Apr 01, 2013
Setting up internet on ur phone

Settings > More Settings > Mobile Networks > Access Point names. You will notice that it is empty. Now, press the left soft key (Menu key) then Select 'New APN'.

Name - Airtel
APN - internet.ng.zain.com

Then press the menu key on the left of your phone and Save. Now you will be back to the 'APN' list that was empty before but you will have Airtel listed there. Just select ut using the button next to the name at the extreme right of your phone and u will have connectivity after a few seconds. smiley

For Etisalat
Name - Etisalat
APN - etisalat

For MTN
Name - MTN
APN - web.gprs.mtnnigeria.net

For GLO
Name - GLO
APN- gloflat

Remember to select the correct apn for any SIM card you wanna use. ENJOY! cheesy
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by bizzlemie(m): 9:21am On Apr 01, 2013
Yo Stan! Gud to have yhu back. Pls recommend a similar undervolted kernel for my sgs2 na

I'm running NeatRom v4.4 lite on it, currently on hirox v5.1 medium kernel
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by bizzlemie(m): 9:25am On Apr 01, 2013
Yo Stan! Gud to have yhu back. Pls recommend a similar undervolted kernel for my sgs2 na!

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by tatchero(m): 9:58am On Apr 01, 2013
OK. I got my s2 rooted. and am running an AOKP ROM. what's with the kernel pls. I think I have a Linux kernel. and pls what custom ROM is the best? thanks
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by Stanley08(m): 6:45pm On Apr 01, 2013
bizzlemie: Yo Stan! Gud to have yhu back. Pls recommend a similar undervolted kernel for my sgs2 na!

Try Neat ROM Lite v4.5 and New HiroX v5.7

tatchero: OK. I got my s2 rooted. and am running an AOKP ROM. what's with the kernel pls. I think I have a Linux kernel. and pls what custom ROM is the best? thanks

LOL! Wat android kernel isn't Linux based? To me, AOKP sucks.
TW Based ROMs > AOSP Pure android > AOKP.

Also try Neat ROM Lite v4.5 and HiroX v5.7 (5.1 is the best so far but 5.7 is newer so might be better)
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by honsule(m): 7:56pm On Apr 01, 2013
Stanley08:

All MB3 ROMs have memory issues. I'm a heavy user tho... so maybe won't affect u. They not stable too.. Many Phones running MB3 have been reported Suddenly Dead (SDS). My advice is flash v43.1 or Neat ROM Lite v3.1 (The one I use)

I downloaded the Neat ROM Lite v3.1.It has a lovely interface and smooth in navigating.Am enjoying it.Even the start up=i like the Neat ROM Logo
What about Miui.polimorph with different kernels yank55 & Siyahs3 i read somewhere online that,it is one of the BEST Rom.

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by honsule(m): 8:00pm On Apr 01, 2013
@Stanley.Is this ROM meant for only SG2?"Try Neat ROM Lite v4.5 and New HiroX v5.7" Yes i suppose.i just google
which kernel should i use on my SGS3 Neat ROM Lite
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by Stanley08(m): 12:00am On Apr 02, 2013
honsule: @Stanley.Is this ROM meant for only SG2?"Try Neat ROM Lite v4.5 and New HiroX v5.7" Yes i suppose.i just google
which kernel should i use on my SGS3 Neat ROM Lite

NEAT ROM is available for both S2 and S3, So please please PLEASE don't flash the S2 one on ur S3 or Vice Versa. I was using S2 before and when I bought an S3, i convinced the developer Sasa to get one too. smiley Now I'm going for the S4. Who knows tongue

For Galaxy S2 - Neat ROM Lite v4.5 + HiroX v5.7
For Galaxy S3 - Neat ROM Lite v3.1 + Blackened v5 Medium!

You can get blackened kernel in Aroma Mods of Neat ROM. I conviced Sasa to add it there. I'm a Recognized NEAT ROM beta tester on xda so I do the initial tests on the ROM before it is released to the public. smiley I also tests other mods. Anyways currently running Neat ROM v3.1 + Aroma Mods 3.1a. + Blackened kernel version 5.0 medium which I have found to be more stable than v6. cheesy
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by tatchero(m): 1:42am On Apr 02, 2013
Stanley08:

Try Neat ROM Lite v4.5 and New HiroX v5.7

LOL! Wat android kernel isn't Linux based? To me, AOKP sucks.
TW Based ROMs > AOSP Pure android > AOKP.

Also try Neat ROM Lite v4.5 and HiroX v5.7 (5.1 is the best so far but 5.7 is newer so might be better)

oh. thanks for the reply bro. where do I get the hiroX ROM? galaxys2roots?
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by honsule(m): 7:55am On Apr 02, 2013
@Stan. I can't find this : For Galaxy S3 - Neat ROM Lite v3.1 + Blackened v5 Medium!
am downloading this: XXEMB5_AromaMods_v3.1a.zip hope it is ok
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by Stanley08(m): 8:24am On Apr 02, 2013
tatchero:

oh. thanks for the reply bro. where do I get the hiroX ROM? galaxys2roots?

http://d-h.st/oUu - HiroX v5.1 Medium (FOR GALAXY S2 ONLY)

As this is an undervolted kernel, if you are getting any freezes, known as SOD (Screen Of Death). All you need do is flash a different kernel. So do not panic. Just flash a different kernel. But works Great for many! Shud for you too! cheesy

honsule: @Stan. I can't find this : For Galaxy S3 - Neat ROM Lite v3.1 + Blackened v5 Medium!
am downloading this: XXEMB5_AromaMods_v3.1a.zip hope it is ok

Yes, blackened kernel is contained there. Try the medium one. Also the wat I wrote above about freezes applies to you too! smiley
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by honsule(m): 8:32am On Apr 02, 2013
Stanley08:

Yes, blackened kernel is contained there. Try the medium one. Also the wat I wrote above about freezes applies to you too! smiley

Mine won't freeze.But i want to ask:what is the major function of this Blackened kernel?what is unique about it?
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by tatchero(m): 9:34am On Apr 02, 2013
OK. OK.. one more question.... must the hiroX go hand in hand with the neat ROM? no offence.. . just a humble rookie asking curious questions
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by makky(f): 10:49am On Apr 02, 2013
Thanks Stan, will definitely be waiting for that magic touch on my phone, it needs it...... And once again, am a Lady *winks*
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by honsule(m): 11:04am On Apr 02, 2013
makky: Thanks Stan, will definitely be waiting for that magic touch on my phone, it needs it...... And once again, am a Lady *winks*

Guess he was using phone to reply,hence he didn't check the (F) in front of your username.
welcome to the family of SG.Hope u will soon start changing Rom the way am doing.lol
Have a lovely week
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by Overlord999(m): 1:40pm On Apr 02, 2013
Stanley08:
, i convinced the developer Sasa to get one too. :. I conviced Sasa to add it there. I. cheesy
seriously are joking or what
Re: Samsung Galaxy S2, S3, S4, Note 2 & 3 Expert by honsule(m): 1:44pm On Apr 02, 2013
@Thankz Man.This particular version and kernel is Superb.The Best,I hope so.I am HOME AND DRY.No more flashing or changing ROM for now

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (166) (Reply)

Tecno L3 Discussion Thread / The Gallery (Mobile Photography/Art) / FIFA 14 For Android...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.