Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,039 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

Cow Power Could Generate Electricity For Millions. - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Cow Power Could Generate Electricity For Millions. (796 Views)

Strange Cow That Refused To Die After Its Head Had Been Cut(video) / Nigerian Students Generate Electricity From Urine / The Wind Turbine Can Generate Electricity For Every Home In A Country (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cow Power Could Generate Electricity For Millions. by cybelink(m): 1:34pm On Dec 13, 2012
Converting livestock manure into a domestic renewable fuel source could generate enough electricity to meet up to three per cent of North America's entire consumption needs and lead to a significant reduction in greenhouse gas emissions (GHGs), according to new research.
The research has implications for all countries with livestock as it is the first attempt to outline a procedure for quantifying the national amount of renewable energy that herds of cattle and other livestock can generate and the concomitant GHG emission reductions.

Livestock manure, left to decompose naturally, emits two particularly potent GHGs -- nitrous oxide and methane. According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, nitrous oxide warms the atmosphere 310 times more than carbon dioxide, methane does so 21 times more.

The journal paper creates two hypothetical scenarios and quantifies them to compare energy savings and GHG reducing benefits. The first is 'business as usual' with coal burnt for energy and with manure left to decompose naturally. The second is one wherein manure is anaerobically-digested to create biogas and then burnt to offset coal.

Through anaerobic digestion, similar to the process by which you create compost, manure can be turned into energy-rich biogas, which standard microturbines can use to produce electricity. The hundreds of millions of livestock inhabiting the US could produce approximately 100 billion kilowatt hours of electricity, enough to power millions of homes and offices.

And, as manure left to decompose naturally has a very damaging effect on the environment, this new waste management system has a net potential GHG emissions reduction of 99 million metric tonnes, wiping out approximately four per cent of the country's GHG emissions from electricity production.

The burning of biogas would lead to the emission of some CO2 but the output from biogas-burning plants would be less than that from, for example, coal.

Authors of the paper, Dr. Michael E. Webber and Amanda D Cuellar from the University of Texas at Austin, write, "In light of the criticism that has been levelled against biofuels, biogas production from manure has the less-controversial benefit of reusing an existing waste source and has the potential to improve the environment.

"Nonetheless, the logistics of widespread biogas production, including feedstock and digestates transportation, must be determined at the local level to produce the most environmentally advantageous, economical, and energy efficient system."
Re: Cow Power Could Generate Electricity For Millions. by obnelly: 11:39pm On Dec 14, 2012
I am an expert when it comes to biogas production from any organic materials.presently I do conversion of chicken litters into fuel to power 2 stroke and four stroke engines to produce electricity if you have the waste we have the skills.for details contact me via e_mail.: the3muskettiers@gmail.com.
Re: Cow Power Could Generate Electricity For Millions. by cybelink(m): 5:08pm On Dec 15, 2012
obnelly: I am an expert when it comes to biogas production from any organic materials.presently I do conversion of chicken litters into fuel to power 2 stroke and four stroke engines to produce electricity if you have the waste we have the skills.for details contact me via e_mail.: the3muskettiers@gmail.com.
alright dats nice currently i am planning to make one maybe i may need ur help.Thanks bro!
Re: Cow Power Could Generate Electricity For Millions. by ninja4life(m): 9:38pm On Mar 29, 2013
REALLY DATS A WOW

(1) (Reply)

Google Plans To Merge Both The Chrome Os And Android. / Are Mobile Network Dissing Themselves With Their Number Porting Adverts / Hiding Your Folders And Files Using Command Prompt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.