Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,906 members, 7,810,488 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:01 AM

Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria (12707 Views)

First Public Speedtest From Ntel's 4G LTE Advanced Network! / How To Increase Or Exceed Whatsapp Free Trial Period / Unlocking Trial Version Of Repligo Reader 2.1.0.1 On Bb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by chidibrown(m): 10:39pm On Dec 13, 2012
IF I DON'T KILL MTN WHO WILL ? grin grin grin grin

Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:01pm On Dec 13, 2012
For those that are complaining of Airetl, I think they're one of d best, if not d best network in nigeria presently... Then what can u say of MTN that boast of cover & promos without quality of service

1 Like

Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by brightmon: 11:07pm On Dec 13, 2012
4G indeed, the so called 3.5g seems like 0.1g, only in Nigerian. since when has VI, lekki & maitama only become NIGERIA?
Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by xcitedjay(m): 11:08pm On Dec 13, 2012
jude33084:

Can u use it for your laptop?
Yes! Just put your sim in a modem and browse as you go.

1 Like

Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by linearity: 11:31pm On Dec 13, 2012
techsuplex: Airtel Nigeria, this morning just hit us up with the news about completing their Long Term Evolution Networks trial in Lagos Nigeria, You will remember that we mentioned MTN and Globacom’s LTE plans a few months ago. From their tests, they were able to maintain connections as fast as 32-37 Mbps for downloads and 10Mbps for uploads. The tests were carried out in Lagos, but there are plans to carry out the same tests in other parts of the country. So if you have an LTE capable device and an airtel sim, you may want to flick the LTE antenna on every now and then to see if you catch one of the tests on a band your device supports.

More details at the source: http://www.techsuplex.com/2012/12/13/airtel-completes-4g-lte-trial-in-nigeria/

There are some misconceptions here...LTE is not 4G technology. 4G is based on 3gpp Release 10, current LTE deployments are still using release 8.

You need a new SIM for LTE, the LTE radio interface is different from traditional UMTS radio...your cell phone must be capable of LTE & UMTS and you need an LTE capable sim to be able to hook up to an LTE signal.
Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by sagytariusTM1: 11:43pm On Dec 13, 2012
LTE is not and will NEVER be 4G. Op, take note. No country has deployed 4G. Two platforms are currently being worked on, i.e. WiMax And LTE-Advanced, to provide the 4G to Standard. A proposed standard is such that will give you 100Mbps while on a high mobility mode; and to provide ~1Gbps in a stationary state.
These 32 -37 kini kan kini kan is not even close!
Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by mrperfect(m): 1:21am On Dec 14, 2012
Reliability is what matters.
Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by asudan: 1:29am On Dec 14, 2012
temmytanny: If it happens,it would be a big plus with unlimited browsing and not data cap. company like DSTV would be in trouble cos everybody go dey watch soccer online.
don't use the word everybody because you generalising the whole thing.
Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by Dabss(m): 2:37am On Dec 14, 2012
chidibrown: IF I DON'T KILL MTN WHO WILL ? grin grin grin grin
oga that speed is slow
Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by Dabss(m): 2:40am On Dec 14, 2012
Red-Light:
non sense ... am yet to get a bar on their 3.75g they launched almost a year now and they are talking about 4g ... mtchewww
those of you in villages will have to wait. Maybe in 4 yrs time
Lol

1 Like

Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by Lanretoye(m): 3:04am On Dec 14, 2012
toluxa1:

Na so my brother. If I can get such speeds with unlimited data at 10k/month, i will jump on it. Every single match I need to watch, every single film, all na online tins o.
. Every thing Na online, plus sleep online, die online, dem bury u online join.
Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by Lanretoye(m): 3:06am On Dec 14, 2012
[quote author=Da_b¤§§.] those of you in villages will have to wait. Maybe in 4 yrs time
Lol[/quote. They Just have to wait patiently online for their time.
Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by haryourdayG(m): 3:24am On Dec 14, 2012
4llerbuntu: aah that explains the day my device was showing H+ on a Aosp rom when i toggled lte.

i just assumed the thing was showing wrong logo because of the custom rom. it was pretty fast too but i was using opera mini anyway so.........
Xup Bro, just saw you said something about custom rom, I know definitely it's Android so I wanna ask how you got it rooted and installed with a custom rom
Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by yomalex(m): 5:09am On Dec 14, 2012
Will it improve the network?
Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by ignis: 5:53am On Dec 14, 2012
Red-Light:
non sense ... am yet to get a bar on their 3.75g they launched almost a year now and they are talking about 4g ... mtchewww
yea, their 3.75G is very weak like an ordinary network.
Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by zaragoza(m): 6:12am On Dec 14, 2012
xcitedjay:
Yes! Just put your sim in a modem and browse as you go.

can it be used on a phone dats not blackberry?

1 Like

Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by larpah(m): 6:25am On Dec 14, 2012
zaragoza:

can it be used on a phone dats not blackberry?
yes, it can

1 Like

Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by alexis(m): 6:34am On Dec 14, 2012
D-Heir Apparent

4G has been a disappointment worldwide. Original idea was IP based communication. Like Voip, which will bring an end to roaming charges built on d ipv6 backbone. However that has been discontinued.because no network want to loose roamin charges. So realistically no nation is has d real long term evolution (LTE). Airtel Shldnt bother. Dey shld jus focus on enhance network scalability and quality

I disagree with you. Verizon is a wireless carrier in the US with the widest 4G LTE coverage. 4G is based on the GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSPA network technologies, increasing the capacity and speed using a different radio interface together with core network improvements. So, 4G LTE is operational and working in some countries, I am using a HTC One X with download speeds of 50MB and upload speeds of 20MB - perhaps that is not the standard of LTE but it does come close.

There are even projects that are not yet on the market like VoLTE - Voice of LTE and currently in research stages but LTE solves the latency problem compared to 3G.

1 Like

Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by dejiyusuf: 6:44am On Dec 14, 2012
temmytanny: If it happens,it would be a big plus with unlimited browsing and not data cap. company like DSTV would be in trouble cos everybody go dey watch soccer online.
Lolzz funny enough I just meet a friend that could make me browse unlimitedly I can't wait to start this unlimited browsing sh.it!
Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:53am On Dec 14, 2012
arbitrage: lte or 4g has nothing to do with h speed. even as i type now, airtel signal as well as glo and mtn in my area is h speed, beyond 3g. but the data thruput is far from all those noise making.

no one said it does. we said it shows the symbol for it when lte mode was selected in d phones network settings, not just H but H+. as for getting d speeds thats another issue.

afterall in nigeria having 5 network signal bars does not equate to clear trouble free phone calls much less data
Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by sheyma: 7:03am On Dec 14, 2012
Bro,where do u watch ur soccer online.
Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by texazzpete(m): 7:08am On Dec 14, 2012
sagytarius™:
LTE is not and will NEVER be 4G. Op, take note. No country has deployed 4G. Two platforms are currently being worked on, i.e. WiMax And LTE-Advanced, to provide the 4G to Standard. A proposed standard is such that will give you 100Mbps while on a high mobility mode; and to provide ~1Gbps in a stationary state.
These 32 -37 kini kan kini kan is not even close!

May God deliver you from this ignorance, brother

2 Likes

Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by idsamoo(m): 7:19am On Dec 14, 2012
4g indeed!wen i cant even seee 3g in my area!only edge ever since,jst wish deyy wld come to our aid in my area!!!
Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by alex406(m): 8:49am On Dec 14, 2012
Airtel is becoming the worst network in Nigeria. They are finding it very difficult to mobilize the ones they have and here they are mouthing about an LTE that will definitely not do what they are praising it for. They should work on the ones on ground first before introducing another.
Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by sagytariusTM1: 9:04am On Dec 14, 2012
texazzpete:

May God deliver you from this ignorance, brother
what is the ignorance here? Bro, you need to do you research before you come to argue with me. I repeat, only WiMax and LTE has been deployed commercially in the Advanced countries.

LTE system is a standard within the 3G technology. Its actually a mix of 3G and 4G technologies proposed by the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP). 3GPP have been around since 1998 and includes many standards bodies such as the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI). They have been working on mobile communications standards for a long time and have covered previous systems such as GSM and HSDPA. The initial LTE standards have been implemented in some countries and the new systems are backwards compatible. Their contribution to our topic is LTE Advanced which has been designed to meet the 4G requirements. There have been many research publications on various aspects of LTE Advanced but the final system has yet to be decided.

The error I think I made was stating that 4G has not been deployed. It's actually deployed but not in a commercial state where every person on the street would have access to. It's still under Test-running mode.

3 Likes

Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by dederocs(m): 9:45am On Dec 14, 2012
with all these new 4g,10g installations we hear everyday,still there is so much congestion for subscribers especially these bb services.NCC,stop all these networks from getting more subscribers-license new mobile networks.CONGESTION IS THE PROBLEM.
Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by Joe980: 9:48am On Dec 14, 2012
How are you? I stay in Lagos and 3G signal is crap around my axis. For your information some villages enjoy 3G signal without issues.
Da_b¤§§.:
those of you in villages will have to wait. Maybe in 4 yrs time
Lol

2 Likes

Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by RedLight1: 12:53pm On Dec 14, 2012
Joe980: How are you? I stay in Lagos and 3G signal is crap around my axis. For your information some villages enjoy 3G signal without issues.
thanks 4 replyin that ignorant dude..
Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:41pm On Dec 14, 2012
sagytarius™:
what is the ignorance here? Bro, you need to do you research before you come to argue with me. I repeat, only WiMax and LTE has been deployed commercially in the Advanced countries.

LTE system is a standard within the 3G technology. Its actually a mix of 3G and 4G technologies proposed by the 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP). 3GPP have been around since 1998 and includes many standards bodies such as the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI). They have been working on mobile communications standards for a long time and have covered previous systems such as GSM and HSDPA. The initial LTE standards have been implemented in some countries and the new systems are backwards compatible. Their contribution to our topic is LTE Advanced which has been designed to meet the 4G requirements. There have been many research publications on various aspects of LTE Advanced but the final system has yet to be decided.

The error I think I made was stating that 4G has not been deployed. It's actually deployed but not in a commercial state where every person on the street would have access to. It's still under Test-running mode.

Be careful not to digest all that wikipedia feeds you. That said, please do some proper research and while at it, keep in mind that LTE is 4G!!!

For others, i'm afraid i have to burst the bubble but what Airtel demonstrated was HSPA+ (an evolution of 3G).

However, for LTE in Nigeria, you should watch out for SMILE Networks.....COMING SOON!!!
Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by viruz007(m): 2:10pm On Dec 14, 2012
LTE has not been deployed by AIRTEL yet. Testing maybe Yes, deployed naah... We are watching and seeing. Can't wait for etisalat to deploy 4G... kiss kiss Dat will b d beginning of the end... grin cool
Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by viruz007(m): 2:10pm On Dec 14, 2012
chidibrown: IF I DON'T KILL MTN WHO WILL ? grin grin grin grin

Nna hw far? Make we relate na... How r u achieving this? cool
Re: Airtel Completes 4G LTE Trial In Nigeria by sagytariusTM1: 8:32pm On Dec 14, 2012
bLacK GoLd:

Be careful not to digest all that wikipedia feeds you. That said, please do some proper research and while at it, keep in mind that LTE is 4G!!!

For others, i'm afraid i have to burst the bubble but what Airtel demonstrated was HSPA+ (an evolution of 3G).

However, for LTE in Nigeria, you should watch out for SMILE Networks.....COMING SOON!!!
I believe you heard yourself right. Ironically, the emboldened is exactly what wiki is feeding the gullible ones. I am not a fan of wiki. But after I read your comment, I had to visit Wiki's definition of LTE. Lo and behold, your thought on LTE is exactly Wiki's thought on LTE too. Now who should be making a proper research?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Whatsapp Will Now Let You Add Up To 512 People To A Group (Photo) / My Xiaomi Phone Allows Me Operate 2 Phones In One / The New Tecno L6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.