Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,730 members, 7,809,803 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:13 PM

Literary Ambition Over Entertainment - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Literary Ambition Over Entertainment (925 Views)

Lagos SALT [Sex, Ambition, Love & Truth] - The Novel. / Why I Have No Future Ambition. / Nairaland's Literary & Debating Day - You Are Cordially Invited! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Literary Ambition Over Entertainment by doyin13(m): 2:06am On Feb 16, 2008
I read a book recently, Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, quite ambius, had me thinking all the way through how clever

and what an achievement it was to link five different stories across five different time periods

from the first tale in the mid nineteenth century through the twentieth to a starwars future

and a post apocalyptic reenactment of the beginning. . .

It wasn't really philosophical in any way, at least the way i like my books, but it was an impressive

feat of writing bordering on scholarship.

That was frankly the thought that egged me on through the book.

it sagged in the middle terribly and after the fact i realised the connections between the tales
was not hermetic, in fact quite loose.

Such ambition and enterprise is also evident in Yinn Martell's Life of Pi.

The author sets up a good yarn, a boy gets caught up on a life boat

with a tiger, an orangutang, a zebra in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

His tale of survival involves all of 300 paperback pages.

Needless to say. . .it sags in the middle no be small

When you get over how clever the author must be to think up such a scenario

and write a book of such length with such limited material. . .you quickly find boredom

it is a relief when you get to the last page.

(1) (Reply)

Admission Is On At The Musicians Institute, Festac / When They Celebrated Their Eid – El – Fitri / Memoirs Of A Playa Online Volume 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.