|Join Nairaland / Login / Trending / Recent / New|
Stats: 1,349,631 members, 2,013,499 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 April 2015 at 06:00 AM
|12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by djsean(m): 8:10pm On Dec 13, 2012|
2012 is one of those years that seemed to have less than 24 hours in each of the 366 days. The Nigeria music factory left fans agog as it has been a year of all-round entertainment. Several folks bagged accolades both home and abroad. The regulars kept their heads up and there was room for a couple of new-comers who played their cards well.
It must be said that this epistle is my view and opinion as it takes a critical look at 12 quality or flash albums that supposedly should make commercial success but did not. I bet there are a few albums on this list that will leave readers wondering and asking when they were released.
It is understandable that several music lovers did not know that these albums dropped due to laxity in the PR of the artistes and their management or just fate going by the saying that “talent is natural, excellence is a choice”.
Without further ado, let me hit the nail on the head:
1. FAZE - REFAZED: This is an album with which Faze baba tried to re-establish himself in the music factory. This is quality album, truth be said. It housed several intelligent lyrics, good vocals and quality beats. There were digressions in the genre of music, but Faze baba still got the R’n’B touch and flavour. With songs like “My Girl” featuring Vector, “Nkem”, and “In The Mood”, this 17-tracker LP is another good one by Faze, but ironically it did not do commercially well. Although some videos have been shot off the album, this did not change the commercial attribute of the album. For a feel and understanding of what I mean, grab a “Refazed” album today, although it took me days and distance to get mine.
2. FLAVOUR - BLESSED: With features by Wizboy and Fally Ipupa, this album did not make very good commercial success. It might surprise a lot of people to know that this indigenous act released an album this year. Although most of the songs were recorded in the native Igbo dialect. It can be defined as a brilliant beer parlour music compilation. Even with a song and video with Fally Ipupa, it did not bring to peoples’s notice that it’s off his “BLESSED” album, I think people cared less. This is an excellent compilation of indigenous music, it is the best high-life album to be found in any store in recent times.
3. BRYMO - THE SON OF A KAPENTA: The Chocolate City’s male vocalist had a very good year with success from singles such as “Ara”, “Good Morning” and “Go Hard”. This made his album one of the few craved for in the year 2012, but ironically it’s release went unnoticed. What a sheer waste of talent. A very distinct compilation of vocals, beats and lyrics. BrymO did not disappoint me with this album, but it is a commercial blunder. A friend of mine will call it a “rushed project”. I hope for the best probably after he shoots a few videos off the album.
4. SOUND SULTAN - ME, MY MOUTH AND EYE: Firstly, in my opinion, I think the album title is not appealing and fascinating in comparism with it’s priors – “SS4”, “The Textbook”, “Back From The Future” and others. The name is not striking. After 12 years of stage life, the sultan of sound in the Naija ninja kingdom decided to release this album following the success of his single “People Bad” featuring the veteran, Wyclef. The album housed 12 tracks which did not make commercial mark. This is an album with true definition of music. Sound Sultan is indeed a veteran, but I guess people just want to wine and dance.
5. CAPITAL F.E.M.I - THE YEAR OF R'n'B: In my opinion, this young man is the new king of R’n’B. His lengthy 17 tracks album is indeed worth the purchase. I can only wonder why this young man is not getting the much deserved credit. An album with songs such as “Get Low”, “Never Felt A Love”, “If”, “Am Just Saying” featuring Jaywon and Sinzu should have done commercially better. This brings us back to the words of some veterans who think that good music is loosing it’s value in this generation of ours. I’ll give kudos to Capital F.E.M.I for this debut album of his. It shows a lot of dynamism, proficiency and efficiency. The year of R’n’B is indeed an undiluted R’n’B album.
6. REMINISCE - BOOK OF RAP STORIES: His debut album with the monster hit “Kako Bii Chicken” did not do well in the market at all. To my utmost surprise, only a couple of DJs has this LP in their bags. They would rather have the singular hit track on a mix-tape. I feel so sad for this dude who has worked really hard to drop this much anticipated album. Features by the veteran Ruggedman, and his long time friend Jahbless did not push the album. To add salt to open wound, not long after he dropped this album did Vector skin his head causing a setback for his musical career, but I guess he’s back now considering his latest features.
7. MAVINS - SOLAR PLEXUS: After the defunct of the world famous Mo Hits Records, there was an immediate release of the “Solar Plexus” album by the newly formed Mavins. It is a compilation of songs by the remnant of the crew Wande Coal, D'Prince, Dr. Sid, and the newly recruited Tiwa Savage. On release of the album, expectation was high as all social media networks were flooded, only for us to have gotten what we did not deserve. I think after a critical view at the album which only has a hit song by each artiste by the Don, he decided to place it online for free download, but to my utmost surprise I soon found this album on the streets. Singles and videos from Wande Coal was quick to heal our pains though.
8. DUNCAN MIGHTY - FOOT PRINTS: With the album banger “We Go Dey Dey” which featured Wande Coal, “Light Ooo”, and “Port Harcourt Boi Remix”, it can be said that this beautiful and loaded album which also features Shaggy and Timaya did not go far commercially. A couple of readers might be surprised to know that Duncan Mighty has an album this year. This LP has 18 tracks although a couple of them still has the “Wene Mighty” beat and touch; another good one from Duncan mighty. His vocals and lyrics were not disappointing as usual. The new beats were spectacular and well mixed and mastered, but alas it did not reach the commercial heights as the previous albums. As a lover of good music, it hurts though, but only little can be done on a personal note to push the album.
9. D’PRINCE - FRENZY: In my own words, the album is a flashy but empty album. Coming from the brother of the Mavin’s Don, one would have expected a better album. “Frenzy” is a clumsy 25 tracks album which should not have come as a surprise to anyone who has followed the trend of D’Prince. Although it has popular tracks such as “Goody Bag” and other singles which have done well in the past. His secret wasn’t fully exposed as fellow label-mate Tiwa Savage and Wande Coal were there to cover him in the cold and dark times. This album though very flashy did not make commercial way forward. The appearance of the super-star Wizkid did not help matters. The only positive about the album is that it lives up to it’s name as it boasts of songs that can fuel your party rage. I must say that it had no idea and very low on creative fuel. From this album, it’s an evidence that music lovers are now better critics.
10. MONEY MAKING MUSIC – RUGGED MAN COLLABORATION ALBUM: Ruggedy baba who can be boldly referred to as a veteran after dropping 2 singles off the album before release got back into the heart of people, especially with his monster hit “Push” featuring Terry G. His collaboration with his new signing Mbryo on the “Ruggedy Baba Pt. 2” is also applaud-able. A couple videos off the album and the previous one further instilled Ruggedy baba in our hearts. Although this album is another very good package from the veteran, it did not follow the trend of the previous. It was first released on the music download website Spinlet, but I guess this did not affect the sale. The album with 11 wonderful tracks is a good come back by Ruggedy. Probably a few videos off the album could do the magic.
11. eLDee - UNDENIABLE: This is the reported last album by the veteran and CEO of Trybe 2.0 records who has been in the game since 1998. This is one album that should have done better commercially; the Don did not digress into the craze of noise in music’s name. He featured his label signings Sojay, K9 and also the superstar Wizkid. Although it also had on it the wedding anthem “Today Today” and the street credible “Wash Wash”, this did not in any way improve the sale. His lyrics, beats and delivery stuck to his definition of good music. His versatility was again brought to the obvious and one can only wonder why it is not an anthem on most radio stations.
12. JHYBO - BEE NA NI: Probably this post would have been up earlier only if I could go back home to get the title of Jhybo’s album. I had to reach over 20 people to get this title not knowing that I was telling them that Jhybo has an album. At last, I had to reach DJ Sean who almost instantly reminded me of the title. That only shows how “unpopular” the album is. It’s another good compilation of songs and beats, but failed to reach limelight. Jhybo’s well promoted “Run Their Mouth” single is off this album, but sadly it did not affect the sale of this album positively. A couple of readers will argue why this album made this list; please do me a big favour, cop this album.
Well, there it is, another epistle from “Poison Pen” by Wale Applause.
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by ojoawo(m): 10:16am On Dec 27, 2012|
Really nice review, buh Frenzy and son of a karpenta shouldn't b on the list, they doin pretty well so far commercially
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by jiggaz(m): 7:34pm On Dec 27, 2012|
Flavour's Blessed album shouldnt be on that list oo cos if u go to d East, dat album is selling like pure water and the songs are everywhere.
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by mikuz(m): 8:52pm On Dec 27, 2012|
Nice. Great compilation.
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by homesteady(m): 11:18pm On Dec 27, 2012|
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by AnOlAd: 11:21pm On Dec 27, 2012|
Pls are u sure all these albums dropped this 2012 or they are album we should look forward to in 2013....#Confused# because honestly I didn't see or hear about any of them.... It either something is really wrong with my social life or this people really wasted their time.... Am sure it the latter.... Eerrrmm am sorry but their PR must be really wacked...
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by LesbianBoy(m): 11:22pm On Dec 27, 2012|
Everyone's attention was on davido's album thats why others didn't reign!
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by deejayharry1(m): 11:24pm On Dec 27, 2012|
Well..thtz a loss each for them
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by Rheinmetal(m): 11:27pm On Dec 27, 2012|
Now how does one determine which artiste pushed the most units in Naija?
I am yet to be made aware of the Naija version of the RIAA to track album sales.
Maybe the fact that the blogger could not find a particular album with his favourite hawker in VI traffic now translates to lack of commercial success?
All these Perez Hilton wannabes forming Siskel and Ebert take time o lest we hear that Naeto C pummels another blogger for greeting his wife!
Now seriously there is no current authority on Nigerian album sales that is certifiable, and as such the blogger's review is not justifiable.
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by bolayei: 11:28pm On Dec 27, 2012|
JHYBO is too under rated. naija hip hop to da call
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by donchris369: 11:29pm On Dec 27, 2012|
Mehn, this op mudered D'prince o.
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by basisop(m): 11:29pm On Dec 27, 2012|
Flavour's album is selling hot!!! The album was just released in October. Beer Parlour mix? Do you play wizkid in your church?
The album has several club bangers! Track 1,2,3,5,6,7,8 and 11 are all making waves in the East.
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by Mojibola(m): 11:33pm On Dec 27, 2012|
Pls shout 20 "eeyha"s for all of them...better luck next time...
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by Imanuelle(m): 11:33pm On Dec 27, 2012|
Seems u never lived in 2012.
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by babymama3: 11:34pm On Dec 27, 2012|
Who is that bleached up no 6 guy
Jeez,why do men bleach
Why does anyone bleach?
Somebody should tell him to quit the nonsense
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by ortopazz(m): 11:42pm On Dec 27, 2012|
same prob am havin here
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by Afam4eva(m): 11:43pm On Dec 27, 2012|
baby_mama: Who is that bleached up no 6 guyThat's reminiscence. He's a Yorubaa rapper.
What Flavour's blessed doing on your list?
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by ortopazz(m): 11:45pm On Dec 27, 2012|
Brymoz album dropped? Nw thatz a fuuuu.ck up, guess they dint rily mk noize lyk E.L.I
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by gigz31: 11:52pm On Dec 27, 2012|
op do you hâte flavour this much.......nawa o....op you need to listen to tracks like ada ada,ifem n'eli,shake,to be a man,destiny.
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by babymama3: 11:53pm On Dec 27, 2012|
I cannot stand a bleaching male
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by Saintsquare(m): 11:54pm On Dec 27, 2012|
Me thinks Eldee shouldn't av made dat list.
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by brixton: 12:06am On Dec 28, 2012|
AnOlAd: Pls are u sure all these albums dropped this 2012 or they are album we should look forward to in 2013....#Confused# because honestly I didn't see or hear about any of them.... It either something is really wrong with my social life or this people really wasted their time.... Am sure it the latter.... Eerrrmm am sorry but their PR must be really wacked...
Raise ur social life bro
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by Troll: 12:13am On Dec 28, 2012|
Me I'm waiting For Black Magic's Album. Infact I'm drooling with saliva to eat that CD. Ma koje rush rush. With songs like Repete, Fantasy, Confam, Tomorrow, Foreigner And Rainbow I no wan hear say the album don come out and I no know
And not forgeting the monster hit "Badstar" by Black Magic & Aikon (3WiseMen)
Infact I So much love the Syndik8 Crew (Lynxx, Blink, Black Magic, Nedu and Aikon)
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by NewsFlash101: 12:15am On Dec 28, 2012|
Still mourning Ghadafi
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by brixton: 12:17am On Dec 28, 2012|
D'prince and flavour are still selling very well... Ask any cd vendor along traffic light...Nigerians love danceable songs
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by Nobody: 12:17am On Dec 28, 2012|
Hmm. I'll have to agree with the others about Flavour's album o. It's been selling, even here in the US. It was on iTunes three days after they hit streets in Nigeria, and his videos on youtube direct people to iTunes.
The person who released an album and I had no clue was Duncan Mighty. I just got it last week lol. Apart from the two or three flop tracks, it's a solid album.
As for "Solar Plexus", haters will hate. I fell in love with that album when I first heard it and love it more every day. Dr Sid's "Chocolate", D'Prince's "Amarachi", and Wande Coal's "Forever" are the best. "O Ma Ga" is cool too.
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by born2boink(m): 12:25am On Dec 28, 2012|
Flavour is my good guy, never knew he has release album.I am going to get it tommorow........why have I stop going to club, all these recent beer palours to dey play oldschool musics
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by born2boink(m): 12:30am On Dec 28, 2012|
Nigerian/africa musics television are not promoting or creating the awareness of this musics albums listed above to the nigerians, Davido Father have bribed all of them to be playing and repeating davido musics with useless available unknown artist and making davido musics come out top in which he repeated chorus 20 times..... Why our musics channels damn wicked, flavour far better in musics
|Re: 12 Quality Albums Of 2012 That Did Not Record Commercial Success by shadrach77: 12:48am On Dec 28, 2012|
brymo sings like someone who is high on grade one weed
|Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health |
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket
Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2015 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115