Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,074 members, 7,818,207 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:21 AM

The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) - Literature (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) (147751 Views)

Devilish Comedian The Sequel To Evil Comedian / ANOTHER WEDDING.......A Play (sequel To Just Wedded) / Larry Sun,pls Post The Link To The Paradox Of Abel Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (50) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 12:55pm On Sep 03, 2014
“I’m having a strange feeling, Famous.”

“What kind of feeling is that, sir? Are you in love too?”

“What is Love? I’m having a feeling of déjà vu. I’ve begun having it since I spoke with the family members.”

“Déjà vu?”

“Yes, I think I’ve seen one of the family members somewhere before.”

“Who?”

“I’m not sure. I can’t even remember where.”

“I’ll remind you, you saw everybody on the way to the cemetery, maybe that is what is giving you the feeling of recognition; seeing the family members out of the compound for the first time.”

“Your lights are on, Daniel, but nobody is at home. You think I don’t remember that? You’re getting slack, Famous, instead of getting better, you’re getting a bloody sight worse. Do you know that? I’ve been racking my head to remember that person I’ve seen but I’ve not been able to. It’s breaking me apart. If I can’t recall the person before the end of this investigation, I will better quit the detective business and take to truck-driving or house painting.”

“Can you kindly forget about that and let’s concentrate on the cards? I strongly believe that we’d crack the case as soon as we knew what the cards contain.”

“How many cards did you find with the body?”

“Five—4 of ball, 2 of cross, 1 of star, 5 of carpet and 3 of triangle.” He showed Lot the picture he took of the cards. “Do you know what they mean?”

Lot stared at the picture on the phone for a few seconds and returned the mobile phone to its owner. “Did you notice that the cards give the numbers 1 to 5?”

Daniel stared at the picture and saw it, “Truly, I did not notice. 1 of star, 2 of cross, 3 of triangle, 4 of ball and 5 of carpet. Wow! We’re getting somewhere. What do they mean?”

“Before we understand the numbers, we have to first understand the symbols.”

“Do you know what the symbols mean?”

“Of course, I do—I’m not as dumb as you.”

“Okay, what is the significance of Ball?”

“It means pit, dungeon, ditch or hell—whichever way you may see it.”

“What about the number 4 on it? Why did the person choose that particular number for the symbol? There are other numbers for the symbol. Why that particular number?”

Lot was silent a moment, his face cast downward. When he looked up, his face was grave. He looked so woebegone that Famous was afraid he might start weeping, and he didn’t know how he’d handle it if the detective suddenly burst into tears.

“This is very bad, Famous, very bad.”

“What are you talking about?”

“We have to act fast. People’s lives are in danger.”

“I don’t understand what you’re saying.”

“Two people have already been killed the criminal still have two more people to kill. We must allow that, Famous.”

“Are you saying the number 4 means the demise of four people?”

Lot nodded, “Two of them have been killed, unfortunately. One was killed before my arrival and another after my arrival. That’s bad, something like that shouldn’t happen under my watch.”

“What makes you think the number signifies the death of four people?”

“There is something else the symbol means; it means Death.”

“Goodness!” ejaculated Daniel, “We’re dealing with a psycho.”

“This particular psycho is clever, Famous. He’s too clever, but his cleverness may be his weakness.”

Daniel consulted the picture again and asked, “What about Cross? What does it signify?”

“Religion.”

“Religion?”

“Yes, cross signifies Religion. I’m sure it’s the one with the number 2.”

"It is. What does it mean?”

“It simply means that there are two religions; the Islamic and the Christian.”

“I’m still not getting it. What does religion have to do with the case we are investigating?”

“It may have everything to do with it. The religions come from the source.”

“The source?”

“Yes, the source. Jamal Malik was a Muslim and his wife a Christian. The early cross has been the most common symbol of the four elements—Earth, Air, Fire and Water. In Islam, they are known as Squares, Clouds, Lightning and Waves. Everything might have sprouted from the difference in religion, or a clash in beliefs.”

“The criminal is one sick person,” commented Daniel, “What about the Star? I think I know what that one signifies.”

“What?”

“The Star signifies one of the planetary bodies.”

Lot glared at him and said, “You should be cleaning latrines. The Star signifies fame.”

“Oh, I forgot. The Star means popularity. It is how we refer to celebrities; those ones who are always surrounded by a gaggle of fans, all thrusting pens and scraps of paper at them, clamouring for their autographs and taking pictures with them. The famous ones in turn sign dozens of autographs and later making sensational departures by jumping in their waiting limousines.”

‘Now who is a celebrity among the family members?”

“None, I believe. You’re the only celebrity in this compound,” he stopped and stared at the picture, “The murderer could be referring to you, the number is carries is 1.”

“A detective is never a celebrity in Nigeria. Celebrities are always actors and actresses, musicians or footballers. Aren’t you a footballer?”

Daniel laughed, “Oh no, you’re getting it wrong. The murderer can never be referring to me. I’m not a celebrity in the least; only few people know that I play football. A celebrity is someone who has fans, I don’t have any fan yet.”

Lot smiled, “Thank you, Famous.”

Daniel stared, “For what?”

“For telling me whom the murderer was referring. It’s not either of us.”

“Who is?”

“Gabriel.”

“Gabriel? Gabriel Malik? I didn’t know he was a celebrity.”

“Being a celebrity is not only restricted to the aforementioned people; there are other celebrities. Chinua Achebe is a celebrity, isn’t he?”

“Likewise Soyinka, Dangote and Baba Fash.”

“Gabriel Malik is a writer writing under the pseudonym Ariel. I’ve visited his blog and read his books. Although not yet published, Ariel is quite popular online. He has lots of followers and he’s regarded a celebrity. The murderer is talking about Ariel.”

“Why him? Out of all the children of Jamal.”

“Because he may actually be the madman we’re hunting.”

Daniel shook his head, “Gabriel doesn’t look mad to me.”

“Your idea of a madman is someone drooling at the mouth and wearing rags? You’re wrong, this madman we’re hunting looking as sane as you and I. I told you the criminal is too clever, that his cleverness may be his weakness. He might have given himself off with these clues, believing I might not be able not break them.”

“So, what are you going to do now? Arrest the writer?”

“Goodness no!” said Lot, “My words are only conjectures for now. He may be innocent in these murders. What is the next card?”

“That’s 5 of Carpet.”

“It’s called Square.”

“What does it signify?”

“Square signifies equality.”

‘Equality indeed.”

“It means everything in life is equal in the sight of creation—” Lot stopped himself and said, “Famous, take your mind back to the morning of Jamal’s murder. When you took me to the sitting room to introduce me to the family members, there was something on the table. Do you know what it was?”

“I think it was a book, but I’m not sure. You can’t blame me, it’s been over a week.”

“You’re right, it was a book. Do you remember what book it was?”

“No, I don’t. I can’t remember.”

“It was Animal Farm!”

Daniel frowned, “Animal Farm?”

“Haven’t you read the book before?”

“Of course, I have.”

“What is its catchphrase?”

“All animals are equal.”

“There goes the equality I was explaining. I took the liberty to open that book. Page 15 was folded.”

“Page 15?”

"That was the page in that particular edition where the Commandments were given. ‘All animals are equal’ is the seventh commandment ‘But some animals are more equal than others’—this phrase is used by one of the pigs described in the book.”

“Then the person who owns that book may be the murderer we’re looking for.”

“It’s a possibility but not a certainty. The murderer could be the reader and not the owner.”

“So, we have to know who owns the book and who was reading it that day.”

“The last symbol is Triangle, right?”

Daniel nodded, ‘It is.”

“Triangle symbolises secret.” Explained Lot.

“What is secretive about triangles?”

"The shape is used by most secret organisations because it implies trinity. It is generally believed that the triangle carries spiritual imageries. I know of one particular secret society called The Three Angels, the words “Angels’ is only scrambled from 'Angles’; the triangle is the only shape with three angles. The green shape in the middle of the one thousand naira note is a triangle, there’s a secret behind its appearance on the money. Look at the pyramids of Egypt—there a secret backing up their existence. But that is not our concern now. What is the number on it? 3?”

Daniel nodded again, “You’re right, sir.”

“The 3 only signifies the number of angles in the triangle.”

“It could also mean, perhaps, the number of secrets connected with this case.”

Lot smiled, “The pap in your head is finally getting thicker, we should pop champagne. You’re absolutely right. The murderer is letting us know that there are three secrets we ought to find out.”

“How many have we been able to discover?”

“In my opinion, none. Maybe one, if you’re considering what Hannah told us about Abel and Ruth. Let’s question another family member now. If we’re lucky, we may find out another secret the family is hiding.”

“Who should I call in?”

“The next person on the list is the foul-mouthed Ruth Brown.”

When Daniel left, Lot lit a cigarette, and with the first healing puffs of smoke, he settled himself benignly against the chair. He knew Ruth would be a tough suspect to interrogate.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Harrychocoberry(m): 5:08pm On Sep 03, 2014
Larry!
I'm Seeing You,continue doing one of the things You know how to do best.

#Massive#

b/w..please do not forget Kalu the Rogue's article.

~Chocoberry~
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 7:38pm On Sep 03, 2014
Harrychocoberry: Larry!
I'm Seeing You,continue doing one of the things You know how to do best.

#Massive#

b/w..please do not forget Kalu the Rogue's article.

~Chocoberry~
Okay, I'll definitely continue the journal; it's quite bloody.

Thanks for following.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Adinije(f): 8:27pm On Sep 03, 2014
@Larry, abeg no kill people that matter o! Especially tha Ariel guy. Cos e be like say I dey ehmm ehm... U know na.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by deebarbie(f): 9:09pm On Sep 03, 2014
I have loved reading story books nd graduated to novel since I was the age of 8. When I grew up to be age 16,I chose d kind of novel I like reading. Ranges from crime to thriller and to vampires. I hate anything called romance novel even to movies. I started reading this novel 2days ago but I didn't quite understand hw it all started til I saw d link to brand of cain. Sometimes I wonder how God just bless people with brain. Sir I give you three heartily cheers and gbosa. This is so similar to John grisham and Sidney Sheldon novels. I am more than impressed. May God continue to give u knowledge and wisdom. Please I don't mind if I can get d complete story from brand of Cain just to keep on my PC where I kept best novels ever read. Even If I will have to pay for it to have it. Let me know please. Thumbs up for you. You are really good at what u do.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by zyzxx(m): 10:13pm On Sep 03, 2014
LarrySun: Okay, I'll definitely continue the journal; it's quite bloody.

Thanks for following.
ah pls don't let kanu be too bloody because am already feeling sorry for the guy

Welldone
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by seunviju(f): 9:32am On Sep 04, 2014
Wow,this is lovely but some things are getting me confused,well let me keep my finger crossed.Keep up the good work sir,lovely story u've got
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Flakeey(f): 9:59am On Sep 04, 2014
what more can i say? for now i'm speechless
cos i don't want to start cracking my head
*Ariel?* undecided
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 2:29pm On Sep 04, 2014
TWENTY

Ruth Brown walked into the room at almost half an hour after Daniel had requested her presence in the room set for interrogations, but because of the loathe she still nursed at the footballer, she snapped at Daniel, telling him to go and visit the devil. This discourtesy had subjected the poor Daniel to slunk back to his master, instantly cowered. Lot was about storming down to compel her over when the lady stepped into the room with graceful steps and proud dispositions. She carried her shapely body with dignity found only in ladies who knew the powers inherent in their seductive charms.

She stood by the table for a moment staring at the detective, perhaps expecting the gumshoe to offer her a seat. But when Lot didn’t seem to care about her stationary position, she grabbed a chair and sat down, facing the detective.

Lot pretended to be busy while the woman sat down waiting. He continued shuffling papers and reading their contents with ease and calmness. He was intentionally trying the lady’s patience as much as he could. He wanted to see her angry before beginning his interrogations. He had learnt that Ruth Brown was a lady whose patience always hanged by a spider’s silk. When he looked in her face, it was boiling with irritation. He smiled to himself—he had seen what he needed. The anger the lady wore on her face was more noticeable than the make-up. Apart from that, Lot noticed that instead of a watch, the lady was wearing a pink band on her wrist.

From the numerous cases Lot had investigated in the past, he knew that anger could be a blindfold—it was capable of rendering a person blind to logic. Anger could force a person to utter words he’d secretly sworn never to use.

Detective Lot therefore strongly hoped that Ruth would reveal information she might have planned to keep to herself; information that could help his cause in unraveling the knitted box of conundrum placed in this household by the hand of a monster.

‘If you don’t already know, my name is Detective Lot—”

“Really? Your mother named you Detective?”

Lot drew a sigh at that. “Mrs. Brown, Daniel and I shall be throwing a number of questions at you—”

“Knock yourselves out to hell,” she interrupted grimly again, “Words can’t describe how little I give a damn.”

Lot pause, glared at the woman, shrugged and continued, “Profanity is a brutal vice, she that uses it is not a lady. I expect that you’ll be entirely and more politely forthcoming in your replies.”

“If I wish.” came the grim reply again.

“Mrs. Brown, I should let you know that withholding information is a grave offence. If you were planning to be a frustration to this investigation, I’d advise you to have a rethink.”

She didn’t reply to that. Her phone rang and she picked it up, snapping at the caller. Whoever had been on the other end of the line got a good ear cleaning.

“What can you tell us about yourself, Ruth?” Lot asked.

“I see no reason why I should engage in an autobiographical recital just because you demanded of it. And I’d prefer you addressed me as Mrs. Brown. Besides, what right do you and your mental permutation of a sidekick have in calling me here to question me?”

Lot ignored the insult and said, “I understand that you’ve been married three times.”

“The last time I checked, that wasn’t against the law, and neither was it any of your business.”

“Why did you leave your first husband,” he consulted the list with him, “Mr. Tunde Johnson?”

“He wasn’t man enough for me, I suppose. He wasn’t clever. All my men have to be smart, strong too—I don’t mean physically strong alone, but strong enough to challenge my intellectual taste. Otherwise I get bored. Tuned is also a complete klutz when it comes to fashion; he wears clothes even the Salvation Army would reject. He’s not bad-looking but he dresses like a zombie. He’s the lowlest face on the dumbest totem. I must have been dumber to have married him. He doesn’t happen to be sartorially consistent. Did I ever tell you he saves his teabags? Uses them two or three times before he throws them away. Isn’t that ludicrous?” she paused and added, “I’m old enough that there is no Prince Charming, just a bunch of more or less flawed men. Sometimes they wear shiny armour but it is always rusty on closer look. I knew all I needed to know about all men. The strong could be devils, but the weak are moral cowards. So, I’d rather lie down with lions than wake up beside dogs with fleas.”

“I expected you would say that. And your second husband—what led to your break-up?”

“I plead the Fifth Amendment about that.”

“What’s his name?”

“That isn’t important, he’s dead.”

Daniel gulped. Something about the woman had always scared him since the moment he set his eyes upon her. She carried too cold a countenance; if she spent too long in a bath-tub the water might freeze. And a part of him told him that Remi also carried a streak of her coldness. He was uneasy.

“I believe your third husband is Mr. Brown.” Lot said.

“What if he is?”

“For how long were you married to him?”

“Thirty-six months. The first time I saw him I thought I was going to turn into a pillar of salt. He was so fantastic looking. I didn’t marry him because of his looks alone. I married him because he was one of the best men in the world. He was smart, he was kind, and he was very good in bed. There might still be men I would sexually desire, even admire, come to like, and even want to marry. But I will never again put myself at the mercy of any man.”

“Did you love him?”

She glared at Lot, “Love? What is love?”

“You don’t know what it means to fall in love?”

“I felt something sweet very deep in me when I was with him, maybe that was what some silly ladies call—love. Poets write about love, and singers sing about it, but it is a myth. Who needs love before copulation? I’ve rode a legion of men with whom I had no slightest liking. A few of them are two lawyers, several doctors, a president of an international foundation, three managers of leading banks, a stockbroker or two, and a renowned psychiatric whom both of you should make an appointment to see.”

Lot was controlling the urge to that this rude woman by the neck and strangle her, “You didn’t divorce Mr. Brown, did you?”

“I didn’t.”

“But what I gathered was that you are no more with him.”

“Tony Brown is a typical SOB.”

“Did you just say Tony Brown?” Daniel chipped in, bearing an astounded look.

“Are telling me your ear-drum is faulty?” Ruth fired back.

“The Tony Brown I know is one of the most powerful men of this country, and he just celebrated his tenth wedding anniversary. The lady he celebrated that anniversary with wasn’t you. It’s either you’re lying or—”

“Will you shut that gob of yours?” Thundered Ruth, “You button up your mouth when two elders talk.”

Daniel instantly forgot to complete the statement.

“If you’re talking about the same Tony Brown we all know, Mrs., then you should be well ashamed of yourself for your false connubial decree.” Lot said.

Ruth glared at the two men, venom shone in her eyes as she rummaged through her arm-bag and came up with a dog-eared photograph which she placed angrily on the table.

“Now, look at those, you twin-apes, and tell me once again that I’m lying. I’ll be delighted to see you two make freaking idiots out of yourselves, if you’re not already idiots initially.”

Lot looked at Ruth skeptically, shook his head and reached for the photograph. He studied it for a few seconds before passing it across to the curious Daniel. On the photograph were the pictures of three people: Ruth, Tony, and an infant in the middle of the couple.”

Lot half-suspected that the lady’s arrogance resulted mainly because she had not been with her paramour for several days, and she was a youth with roving fancy.

“Is that your child? The one in the middle sitting on your thighs?"

Ruth took a moment before replying, “Yes, that’s my second child,” she smiled proudly, her smile wasn’t very reassuring, ‘She was growing up fast, she’d be four years old in a few months if—” she stopped herself here, but it was too late.

“If what?” Lot asked, fully interested.

Tears rushed to Ruth’s eyes, she said between sobs, “Her name is Gloria.”

“What happened to her?” Lot knew that she’d answer any question now. What was initially hard in the woman had now been softened. There was now about her a curious, quiet dignity.

“She was kidnapped.” Ruth replied.

“Kidnapped? How?”

“One Monday morning of January last year, I received a call that Gloria could not be found. It was the headmistress of Gloria’s school who called. I thought it was a joke but when Gloria’s whereabouts could really not be ascertained, I got devastated.” She stopped and wept some more. Lot waited for her to continue, “It was on the third day, when I had believed that my daughter had met with an accident and died, that the kidnappers called. I don’t know how they managed to get my phone number. They demanded for a ransom of twenty million naira to be delivered to a certain location at a given date. Gloria’s disappearance devastated Tony as much as it did me. He provided the money and placed where he was instructed—in a trash can. He came home and we expected the kidnappers to call us and provide the location of where we could find our daughter. The kidnappers never called after the payment. Now I don’t know what has become of my daughter.” She wept some more.

Lot stared at her, “I understand you have a lot of faults, but I don’t think self-pity is one of them. Stop feeling sorry for yourself. Believe me, a lot of women have suffered worse tragedies in their lives.”

“I’m so sorry for your loss, Mrs. Brown,” Daniel said, with a little manifestation of sympathy. “I pray you re-unite with your daughter.”
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 2:32pm On Sep 04, 2014
Adinije: @Larry, abeg no kill people that matter o! Especially tha Ariel guy. Cos e be like say I dey ehmm ehm... U know na.
Ehmm ehm what? Oh, I understand! cheesy
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 2:35pm On Sep 04, 2014
deebarbie: I have loved reading story books nd graduated to novel since I was the age of 8. When I grew up to be age 16,I chose d kind of novel I like reading. Ranges from crime to thriller and to vampires. I hate anything called romance novel even to movies. I started reading this novel 2days ago but I didn't quite understand hw it all started til I saw d link to brand of cain. Sometimes I wonder how God just bless people with brain. Sir I give you three heartily cheers and gbosa. This is so similar to John grisham and Sidney Sheldon novels. I am more than impressed. May God continue to give u knowledge and wisdom. Please I don't mind if I can get d complete story from brand of Cain just to keep on my PC where I kept best novels ever read. Even If I will have to pay for it to have it. Let me know please. Thumbs up for you. You are really good at what u do.
Oh, thanks a lot, ma"am. I'll let you know as soon as I convert my works to e-book formats. Thanks again, ma'am.

God bless you. smiley
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 2:36pm On Sep 04, 2014
zyzxx: ah pls don't let kanu be too bloody because am already feeling sorry for the guy

Welldone
The guy was frustrated; he became something else. smiley

1 Like

Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 2:40pm On Sep 04, 2014
seunviju: Wow,this is lovely but some things are getting me confused,well let me keep my finger crossed.Keep up the good work sir,lovely story u've got
Thanks Seun, we're getting closer to the denouement. Stay in touch. smiley
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 2:42pm On Sep 04, 2014
Flakeey: what more can i say? for now i'm speechless
cos i don't want to start cracking my head
*Ariel?* undecided
I know you like him; let's see what happens to him. smiley
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 8:34pm On Sep 04, 2014
“I’ll like to ask you a very important question, and I’ll like you to reply me with the utmost honesty.” Said Lot. Matters of emotion were not the detective’s forte. His feelings on emotional entanglement could objectively be labelled ‘appalling’.

Instead of replying, Ruth was busy mopping off tears from her face, as well as making careful effort not to mess up her make-up. When she was done, she switched to her former cold self. She regarded the two men with eyes reserved for the lowlest of creatures. She held her face high and proud.

“How much do you know about your father?” Lot asked.

“He wasn’t a saint—of that I’m sure.”

“Do you know why anybody would want him killed?”

“That’s your job to find out.”

“Mrs. Brown,” Lot said, “Who is Abel?”

Her facial expression was instantly knocked out of true by a seismic displacement of horror and astonishment. Her complexion turned aphid. Blue veins became visible under her fair skin and a nervous tic pulled at her right fore-finger. Her eyes betrayed the coldness and unleashed the countenance of astounded impact.

“Do you know any Abel, Mrs. Brown?” Lot asked again, studying her curiously.

“Who—who told you about Abel?”

“We know everything, Mrs. Brown.”

Her eyebrows were raised—she looked scared at this moment.

“You are Abel’s sister, aren’t you?”

She stood up instantly and backed away from the men, “No! No!! how could you possibly know that? No one is expected to know.” She was on the verge of hysteria.

Lot replied calmly, “Your mother told us everything.”

This revelation shocked her; the impact it created on her was almost epileptic. Her whole body shook, and she looked as if she was going to faint.

“My mother?” she asked incredulously.

“I’m sorry, Mrs. Brown,” Lot said, “Your mother already told us about what happened to you when you were seventeen. She told s about the man who broke into your home and forced you to copulate with your younger brother, Abel. I’m sure you remember. Things like that are never forgotten, and as awkward as it seems, I sympathise with you.”

Ruth stared at the two men for a long time, gave a very audible sigh and returned to her seat.

“How dare her?” she said, her eyes flashing fury, ‘How could she tell you such? That was something I’ve kept locked up in my mind for twenty years—why did my mother bring back such sorrowful memory?” she was screaming angrily now, “What right—what effrontery has she to say something so outrageous?”

“She told us because she had no choice,” Lot explained, “And you’d have done likewise if you were in her shoes.”

She looked askance at the detective, “What do you mean by that, detective?”

“We have reasons to believe that the second corpse we found last week was Abel—your long-lost brother.”

“What! Did I just hear you right?”

‘Yes, you did.”

Ruth shook her head from left to right and back, ‘You can’t be more wrong.”

“I think the correct grammatical form is ‘wronger’.”

“You must be mistaken. My brother has been missing for over twenty years. You cannot come here now and tell me that the corpse of one vagrant you encountered last week was my brother. Give me something else. What other ridiculous image have you conjured in your out-of-orbit imagination?”

“You saw that corpse last week, didn’t you?”

“I did. And if you intend to ask me if I recognized it as Abel, you can save your breath; he’s not.”

“I very much doubt that you’d recognize easily someone you’ve not seen in two decades, considering the fact that our recent popular subject was heavily bearded.”

She stared at Lot, stunned, “What exactly did my mother tell you both?”

“She told us enough to believe that the man who broke into your house didn’t visit you to preach about Jesus Christ. Can you recall the name of that man, Mrs. Brown?”

“I cannot really remember—it’s a biblical name, I think Adam or Judas, either of the two.”

“Your mother said his name was Cain.”

“Oh yes, she’s right. The man joked that God brought him to destroy Abel, something like that—like Cain did to his brother in the Good Book. I can remember now, his full name was Cain Martins. He had the kind of face that could scare the bejesus out of a coven of voodoo witches and wizards.”

“Mrs. Brown, did you know about your brother’s accident when he was six?”

“Abel never had any accident, except when he fell off the branch of a tree when he was plucking mangoes. His thigh was stitched.”

Lot frowned.

‘Mrs. Brown, did the copul*tion of that day result in pregnancy?”

Ruth sprang up suddenly, as though she realized that she had been perching on the point of a nail, she wouldn’t have reacted worse if she was slapped on the face. “How dare you ask me such an asinine question?”

“Please answer the question.” Lot replied calmly.

“What are you trying to insinuate now? That Remi, my daughter, is the result of what happened between my brother and I?”

“I must confess, the thought did cross our minds.”

“ ‘Our’—plural personal pronoun.” Ruth looked from Lot to the quiet Daniel Famous. She eyed the young man malevolently.

Daniel, seeing the trouble the detective had dragged him in, quickly attempted to defend himself—but under the lady’s glare, he was finding it hard to find his own tongue. He looked down helplessly and feeling remarkably foolish. Whatever the reason might be, Daniel knew he was on Ruth’s list now, and he knew the woman well enough to suspect that Ruth made her list with a pencil that had no eraser.

Ruth shook her head and turned back to the detective, “I refuse to lay answer to such a ridiculous question. You may drag me from here to the Queen’s court, my lips shall remain sealed. Besides, did you ask my mother the same senseless question?”

Lot swallowed the bitter insult and replied, “No, we didn’t. She wasn’t the one who got laid that day, you were.”

She seemed not to notice the sarcasm because she replied, “So, she didn’t tell you?”

“Tell us what?”

“It was horrible, seeing the n*kedness of your family member and watching the intercourse.”

Lot nodded, “I understand how hard it must have been for her, watching her children sleep with each—”

“You’re still not getting it, are you?” Ruth interrupted sharply, her voice thicker and louder, “After forcing my parents to watch the intercourse between my brother and I, the stranger forced my mother to get in her birthday suit. The monster raped her right there in our presence. Right there! But anyway, you both can go and play with yourselves!”
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Talk2david1(m): 10:56pm On Sep 04, 2014
^^
Payback is really a b*tch. Cain really had a fulfilled revenge night with the family.
Larrysun,the sun will not set on this story. Good one Bro.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Flakeey(f): 1:31pm On Sep 05, 2014
LarrySun: I know you like him; let's see what happens to him. smiley

ofcos i do wink
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Flakeey(f): 2:15pm On Sep 05, 2014
Jeezzzz!!! Cain molested Hannah?...i didn't read that part undecided

ooooooooooohhhh, dis LarrySun sef
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by rapmike(m): 8:20pm On Sep 05, 2014
Hmn, complications! I am beginning to wonder. What else Lot will uncover.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by seunviju(f): 8:45pm On Sep 05, 2014
This one na unveil the truth o.Welldone Larry
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Adinije(f): 9:16am On Sep 06, 2014
Waiting for Update Larry
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by Dyoungstar: 4:07pm On Sep 06, 2014
After "HOUSEHOLD" comes "THE PARADOX OF ABEL" LARRYSUN u are just wonderful.

I don't comment, prefer hide and read. But in cases like this I must comment.

Kudos
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by kelsmic: 8:57pm On Sep 06, 2014
Great Job Mr Larry. From the Collabo...then Cain's Brand..and now this...well Nice job, can't actually pass out much comment cos I think I began reading from Page 9, tot I'd read this write-up before, but wud go to the first and when thru wud appreciate your works in a grander style. Nice JOB once Again. I plead for the completion of the Collabo!!!
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 10:59pm On Sep 06, 2014
TWENTY-ONE

Even after Ruth Brown had departed from the room, Daniel Famous’ eyelids were still as wide as they could possibly go. What recent information had been imparted on his being was not among those he was chanced to hear every day from the morning news. This terrible confession sent the blood tingling through his veins from terror, that he felt as if he was in a burning building. And Famous’ heart, being large enough for that of any six ordinary gentlemen of humane dispositions, forced a supply of tears into his eyes, by some hydraulic processes which were not sufficiently philosophical to be in a condition of justifiable explanation. Put out one fire, two more ignite.

The detective, on the other hand, was neither of lugubrious nor of mirthful temperament. His countenance gave off not a slightest inclination to weep or laugh out loud. But his brows were furrowed, his eyes set, his lips puckered and his nose slightly twitched. After a brief moment, his face, which was presently cast downward, was now directed to his sidekick. He appeared momentarily caught off-guard at seeing the pool of tears that flowed down the young man’s cheeks. He appeared to be studying his subordinate as if he were a new discovery in his collection of mathematical propaganda.

“Why would such evil embodiment as Cain Martins be created?” Daniel’s lamentation was touching.

“For everything, there’s a reason,” Lot, having realized that his reply was about to be disapproved by the wailing young man, hastily added, “Besides, Adolph Hitler’s mother contemplated about aborting her pregnancy, it was her doctor who advised her against it. Maybe the same happened in the case of Cain.”

“That is not an excuse, detective. Why is it that I’m always the one person who encounters the evil Cain Martins everywhere I turn?”

“It shows that the journey is not yet over. Have you ever thought that your presence here—your involvement in this case—might actually be the salvation of another? Remember, you played a great role in the former case of three years ago.”

‘What good thing may come from the fact that two beautiful ladies—Remi and Esther—were born under disastrous fates?”

“We don’t know that for sure. It is not every victim of sexual abuse that gets pregnant.”

Daniel stared at Lot, “You yourself are not sure of that. And the fact that I’m in love with one of the two ladies is not helping situation at all.”

"Famous, I want you to think deeply before giving answer to this question I’m about to ask you. I will really appreciate it if you can give me an honest reply. I wouldn’t be asking you if it wasn’t bearing a great importance in this case we’re investigating.”

“Okay.”

Lot sighed, “Daniel, with whom are you truly in love between Remi Johnson and Esther Malik?”

For the first time, Lot actually found Daniel thinking deeply. It took the footballer a couple of minutes to reply the question.

“As a matter of fact,” Daniel explained, “I’m currently sitting on the fence concerning my love affair. This recent revelation behind the probable existence of both ladies has confused me immensely. Honestly, I can say that both ladies catch my fancy; but that isn’t new, pretty ladies have always caught my attention. Is it possible for someone to love two ladies at a time?”

“Of course, it’s quite possible, but the love of one should be greater than the other. It’s impossible to love them equally. I remember that my mother used to love my younger brother more.”

“In that case, I think I love Remi more,” he paused, “But I don’t think I’d love to be a part of her family, as her mother would give me hell; her family members detest me.”

“Does Remi love you?”

Daniel frowned at the question, “I don’t really know. I used to think she did when I met her for the first time in PH; she was so very interesting and cheerful then, she even promised to marry me if we met again, I thought she meant her words. I even risked having my limbs amputated over that promise. But seeing her again for the second time was another story. This Remi is entirely different from the pleasant girl I encountered in the bus in Port Harcourt. Of course, she’s still as beautiful as ever, it’s just that she’s withdrawn and is of short temper. I’m just finding it hard to believe that I fell for the wrong woman—I like the other Remi better.”

‘What about Miss Malik? Do you think she’s in love with you?”

Imagining that someone might be falling secretly in love with him elicited out of him a funny feeling. The feeling was not funny ha-ha, but funny strange. He managed to hide the feeling well.

“Why would she fall in love with me?” he asked the detective suspiciously.

“You’re not really an ugly sight to behold. An average woman would fall in love with you if you’ve got brains. But unfortunately, knowing you to be a big girl’s blouse, your intellectual capability isn’t something I can entirely vouch for.”

“Oh, thanks so much for the vote of confidence,” said Daniel, not without a note of irritation. ‘You’re not doing great in the love department yourself. If I am not mistaken, doesn’t that constitute the pot calling the kettle’s complexion into question?”

Lot smiled, “I beg to differ. I’m done with that kind of stuff. The kind of hurt I have suffered over numerous unrequited love relationships has implanted in me such a deep distrust of females that my only association with them now is with high-class, high-priced call girls.”

Daniel was rendered agape, “Call girls? As in ‘ladies of the night’?”

Lot nodded and justified his claim, “Of all the female species, call girls are the most honest. All they want is money and they tell you how much up front. You pay for what you get, and you get what you pay for. No complications, no tears, no deceit.”

“You never fail to amaze me, Detective Lot.”

Lot lifted an admonishing finger, “But I’m not advising you to be like me. You’re young, you may fall in love many times and get heartbroken as much times. But you may eventually find the right woman who will love you without reservations, no matter how dumb you are.”

Famous refused to take offence at that latest monstrous calumny. “I’m already twenty-seven, I think I’m old enough to be in a relationship already.”

“Of course, you are. Just take this from me—that girl, Remi Johnson, is not the girl for you.”

Daniel stared in astonishment. For a moment, he thought the detective meant what he said. When he saw the serious expression in the older man’s face, he was more than astonished to realize that his thought was true—the detective actually meant his words. He could not believe his ears. He had risked a lot coming here because of Remi. That young woman had invaded his thoughts and dreams for days—and to surrender all just because the impossible detective did not approve? Impossible!

Daniel shook his head so vigorously that the detective thought he was going to break his neck soon if he did not stop now. But this swing of the cervical vertebrae endured further without the benefit of a snap or crack.

“No, no, no, no, no,” Daniel brayed, “I won’t let you do this to me again.”

Lot feigned temporary ignorance, “Do what?”

“Don’t pretend, sir! This is what you do; anytime you see someone I love you advise me against that person. This was the same thing you did the last time.”

“And I was right the last time, wasn’t I?”

“No, you weren’t—if not for the obvious factor. But you can’t be right this time around.”

“Will you still want to marry her even if she is a bastard?”

Daniel would have interpreted this remark as a callous one hadn’t he known a little bit of the detective’s mind. He knew that one part of Lot’s brain deem it necessary to care for the women, that they might have been born from ill-fates; but the other part of his brain automatically classed people as mere units in a problem, and at moment, his references—before those who might be unfamiliar with his faculty—must always seem surprising.

Nonetheless, his words stung Daniel like thorns but the young man managed to keep his dignity and said, “I might. I’d rather marry her than spend the rest of my life with Esther, the daughter of Cain.”

“Bastard or no bastard, Remi is not the right woman for you.”

“I’m beginning to think that calling you here to investigate this case is a mistake.”

“You may keep your belief to yourself. Aren’t you seeing it already?”

“Seeing what?”

“Remi was the figure that ran past your window; that should tell you everything.”

“You can’t crucify a man for sucking at his thumb. The fact that she’s the runner doesn’t mean she’s the murderer.”

“Perhaps not—we shall find out about that soon enough. But it certainly means that she doesn’t belong to you.”

“You’re not making the slightest bit of sense. I think you need a smoke now. One thing I know which is capable of oiling your rationality is the consistent puffs of cigarette smoke.”

“I’m cutting down on smoking; besides, cigarettes have nothing to do with what I’m telling you—if only you can open your eyes.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. We should continue with the investigation now. Who should I call in next?”

“Mr. David Malik.”

Daniel went out to summon David. He returned shortly without his subject, but his face was beaming with excitement.

“What is it that is making you grin like a mask?”

“There’s someone here who wants to talk to you.” Daniel replied, still grinning.

“I told you to call David Malik, I’m not speaking with anyone else.”

“You’re definitely going to want to speak with this one. Didn’t you hear the barks of the dog?”

“I heard, I thought it was barking at your fatuity.”

“It was barking at that person who wants to speak with you.”

Lot was getting impatient, “Cut the crap, will you? Who might that person be? President Goodluck Jonathan?”

Daniel shook his head, ‘No, the person is Mr. Chike Okafor.”

“Mr. Chike Okafor? Who the hell is that?”

“That—that is the late Mr. Malik’s lawyer.”

1 Like

Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 6:15am On Sep 07, 2014
Talk2david1: ^^
Payback is really a b*tch. Cain really had a fulfilled revenge night with the family.
Larrysun,the sun will not set on this story. Good one Bro.
Amen. Thank you, sir. smiley
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 6:17am On Sep 07, 2014
Flakeey: Jeezzzz!!! Cain molested Hannah?...i didn't read that part undecided

ooooooooooohhhh, dis LarrySun sef
The evil that men do lives with them. The fathers have eaten sour grapes and the children's teeth are set at edge. sad
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 6:19am On Sep 07, 2014
rapmike: Hmn, complications! I am beginning to wonder. What else Lot will uncover.
I think he'll uncover a lot. I'll send one more chapter of your work I edited tonight.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 6:20am On Sep 07, 2014
seunviju: This one na unveil the truth o.Welldone Larry
Thanks a lot, Seun. God bless you. smiley
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 6:22am On Sep 07, 2014
Adinije: Waiting for Update Larry
I'm so sorry; my laptop was mucking up. I should replace it soon. Please forgive me, ma'am.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 6:23am On Sep 07, 2014
Dyoungstar: After "HOUSEHOLD" comes "THE PARADOX OF ABEL" LARRYSUN u are just wonderful.

I don't comment, prefer hide and read. But in cases like this I must comment.

Kudos
Thanks, bro. I'm glad to have you following.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by LarrySun(m): 6:26am On Sep 07, 2014
kelsmic: Great Job Mr Larry. From the Collabo...then Cain's Brand..and now this...well Nice job, can't actually pass out much comment cos I think I began reading from Page 9, tot I'd read this write-up before, but wud go to the first and when thru wud appreciate your works in a grander style. Nice JOB once Again. I plead for the completion of the Collabo!!!
Thank you, my brother. I'm only trying my best in the craft. Soon, I'll write the final chapter of the collaboration stuff and get it done with.
Re: The Paradox Of Abel (The Sequel) by PBeni(m): 7:56am On Sep 07, 2014
Mr Larry I apprreciate the fact that you go through pain to update this story so we your readers can read and enjoy. I just want you to know that we are solidly behind you to the end.

Keep doing what you know how to do best!

Still following...

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (50) (Reply)

WHEN LOVE DIES....( The temptations of Gabriel) / Daughters / PASTORZONED: A Story By Toyin Taiwo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.