Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,567 members, 7,820,047 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:00 AM

, - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / , (10218 Views)

Living Abroad & Doing Business In Nigeria Without Involving Family Members. / Police Arrest Guard As Family Suspects Foul Play In Woman’s Death / Ever Lost Someone As Dear As Family? Come Light A Candle For Them Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

, by Nobody: 6:13pm On Dec 14, 2012
m

9 Likes

Re: , by k2039: 6:56pm On Dec 14, 2012
You need a diary.

Go to the diary section and create one for yourself.
Re: , by oluite(f): 7:21pm On Dec 14, 2012
You could post this on the family reality show or in the diary section
Re: , by Nobody: 8:35pm On Dec 14, 2012
I can relate to Vikin's experience with Feline creatures. I don't like them - we had a cat when I was growing up. Didn't last long though. I begged my mom to get rid of it, but she was having none of it. As far as she was concerned, the cat was here to stay. It was a ginger tabby Tomcat, and we named it - well, Tom.

When Tom was over a year old, one of my uncles (I can't remember which one) thought it would be real cute to bring Tom a female companion, a month-old grey tabby. She was named Betty, and for some reason, she stank. I remember telling my mom she needed to be given a bath, but no, that wasn't on the cards - cats were very clean animals. An understatement!

Tom was pretty docile, and was no bother to anyone. He continued to do his job keeping some of those huge Nigerian rats at bay (you know, those ones that are as big as medium-sized domestic cats). Betty continued to reek.

Tom kind of grew on me. He was very placid and friendly, and even our dog Rambo came to tolerate him, often they both ate from the same plate, and slept in the same spot behind the sofa.

I was heart broken, when Tom staggered home one day; he was obviously unwell. I rushed him to the vet in GRA, Benin-City, which was the nearest to us in those days (we lived off Agho Street). I had to take a taxi, as my parent's were still at work. A quick examination was all the vet could do - Tom had been poisoned, and there was nothing that could be done. I had the option to take him home, and let him die, or be put down. I chose to have him put to sleep, it seemed the humane thing to do. I wrapped him in a clean towel, and took him home. I buried him in the soft earth behind out house.

So, we were left with Betty. I did give her a bath a couple of times, using Bob Martin Dog Shampoo, the same we used on Rambo. She smelt fresh for about 24 hours, and then her stench returned. It was the same on both occasions, experiences that left both my arms badly scratched - by now, Betty was much bigger, and holding her down was like holding onto a baby tiger, hissing, yowling and trying her utmost to strip the flesh from my arms.

He awful stench never let up. You could tell when she was home, by the nasty smell. Looking back now, she must have had an ailment, that caused her to secrete something, I have no idea. She had the Feline equivalent of body odour.

I took her to the local market, walking distance, and left her there, hoping that would be it. I took a detour on the way home, and stopped off at a friend's house. We chewed the fat over this and that, before I finally left to walk home, about an hour later.

You can imagine my shock, when the first thing I saw when I let myself into our house, was Betty. Yes, Betty I'd left at the market place! From then on, I didn't mask my dislike for her. I tormented her, chucked boots at her, kicked out if she got too close. I was a mischievous child back then - I thought it would be funny to balance Betty on the blades of the ceiling fan, then switch it on. I would start from slow, gradually increasing the speed, till Betty was a blur. By now, the fan would be swinging wildly, due to the unbalanced load, then Betty would let go, land wherever she could, before streaking madly out of the room.

After a while, Betty became wary of me, and would glare at me whenever I entered a room she was in. And I would glare back.

Matters were taken out of my hands one hot afternoon. Rambo, for some reason, didn't get on with Betty, the way he had with Tom. And the reeking Feline made the mistake of licking Rambo's favourite bone, out on the front veranda. The bone was old, hardly any meat left on it, but Rambo loved to gnaw on it, and would spend hours exercising his jaws on the smelly old thing.

Rambo came trotting round the side of our house, spotted Betty, who took off. Rambo promptly gave chase. It was nothing new, so I simply watched till they were both out of sight, and promptly forgot all about them - Betty always managed to give Rambo the slip, anyway.

It was much later, when Rambo came trotting through the gates, his tongue lolling, looking really pleased with himself. Betty was nowhere to be seen, but again, this wasn't unusual. Betty, like all Felines was a free spirit, and came and went as she chose. This ended this hot afternoon. In the evening, as was the norm, I took the kitchen garbage to the rubbish tip, and there on the intersection that ran past the top of our road lay Betty. She had been struck by a passing automobile, and run over by several others since. She was as flat as a pancake, all that was recognisable was her grey tabby, and left hind white sock.

I guess Rambo hated Betty as much as I did, perhaps more, and chased her to her death.

28 Likes

Re: , by SisiKill1: 10:54pm On Dec 14, 2012
Uncle Sieeeeeeeena! When are you going to write a book?!!!!!!!

You notice I didn't you ask IF you are going to write one because at this point it is a foregone conclusion that you should write. Goodness you are soo0 wonderful with words, I could picture Tom in my head and Betty. . .why did Garfield come to my mind? cheesy

I grew up with dogs (coincidentally, we had a dog named Rambo too), we had a very big backyard so my dad had them construct a stable like structure because at a given time we had no less than 10 dogs (Boy feeding them was the a pain but we did coz we loved them). When any of the females had babies we would beg our mom not to give them away and she would be like "Give them away, never" then one day we would come back from school and the puppies except one would be all gone. See crying!! cheesy

There was this particular one. . .Brandy, this silly dog would sleep nowhere else but the living room. If you locked him outside, just be ready to stay up all night. He would howl and howl and scratch and howl and howl. ..we gave up trying to get him to sleep outside. As soon as the locking down for the night process begins, you see this yeye dog strolling majestically into the house like it owned it (which technically it did because no one could enter the compound if Brandy was loose) cheesy

Sigh! Pets. . .especially Dogs are the best!! grin

Vikin: When I was a kid, my grandma had plenty of cats running around the compound. They never dare come close to me because they irritate me and I enjoyed whipping them cool. I love the sound of their cries when I whip them and how they take off when they see me. That's was in my village by the way.

Errr. . .If I were you, I wouldn't go around saying this. . .if you don't want people giving you the side eye

Psychological disorders

One of the known warning signs of certain psychopathologies, including antisocial personality disorder, also known as psychopathic personality disorder, is a history of torturing pets and small animals, a behavior known as zoosadism.

According to the New York Times, "[t]he FBI has found that a history of cruelty to animals is one of the traits that regularly appears in its computer records of serial rapists and murderers, and the standard diagnostic and treatment manual for psychiatric and emotional disorders lists cruelty to animals a diagnostic criterion for conduct disorders.[69]

"A survey of psychiatric patients who had repeatedly tortured dogs and cats found all of them had high levels of aggression toward people as well, including one patient who had murdered a young boy."[69] Robert K. Ressler, an agent with the Federal Bureau of Investigation's behavioral sciences unit, studied serial killers and noted,"Murderers like this (Jeffrey Dahmer) very often start out by killing and torturing animals as kids."[70]

Cruelty to animals is one of the three components of the Macdonald triad, indicators of violent antisocial behavior in children and adolescents. According to the studies used to form this model, cruelty to animals is a common (but not universal) behavior in children and adolescents who grow up to become serial killers and other violent criminals.
It has also been found that children who are cruel to animals have often witnessed or been victims of abuse themselves.[71]

In two separate studies cited by the Humane Society of the United States roughly one-third of families suffering from domestic abuse indicated that at least one child had hurt or killed a pet.

I ain't saying you are anything but the wonderful person you think you are. . .just saying I'd be careful telling that story to just anyone. lipsrsealed

6 Likes

Re: , by Kobojunkie: 10:59pm On Dec 14, 2012
Re: , by tpia1: 11:02pm On Dec 14, 2012
God punish devil o.

People and wishing others dead, but they expect they and theirs to remain alive.
Re: , by slimyem: 11:32pm On Dec 14, 2012
tpia1: God punish devil o.

People and wishing others dead, but they expect they and theirs to remain alive.
What is this?
How does this relate to topic being discussed?
Smh!!
Re: , by FindOut(m): 11:43pm On Dec 14, 2012
Just arriving from Agho road, benin city in the late 70s/early 80s i think....

Some people are born writers. Siena is one of them.

I earnestly await your book sir.

@Topic, i dislike cats A LOT. Dogs, I can tolerate a bit.......when they are safely chained, thank you.

1 Like

Re: , by Nobody: 12:10am On Dec 15, 2012
@ Sisi Kill @ Find Out!

Thanks for your kind words. And yes, I love writing, almost as much as I love the Automobile. I've been working on a manuscript for about 18 months. I'm not a fast typer though (two-finger'd peck and hunt routine) so it's taking time!
Re: , by FindOut(m): 12:22am On Dec 15, 2012
Siena: @ Sisi Kill @ Find Out!

Thanks for your kind words. And yes, I love writing, almost as much as I love the Automobile. I've been working on a manuscript for about 18 months. I'm not a fast typer though (two-fingered peck and hunt routine) so it's taking time!

No probs. We'll wait. At least you won't spend another 18 months on it......hopefully cheesy
Re: , by tpia1: 12:47am On Dec 15, 2012
junk section, or health section.
Re: , by Nobody: 9:29am On Dec 15, 2012
@ sisi kill, I guess am not the only one that have the phobia. When a dog approaches you, you know they are coming, but cats...imagine you in a room, lights off, and next thing you see is two shining eyes staring at you! You just can imagine how I jump up thinking some wild thing or whatever wants to eat me, only for it to be A cat! Whether people giving me a side eyes or not, that was what I did when I was a kid.....call it a disorder or not, but it was more than that. How come its only cats I feel this way about? embarassed

Am trying to like them now because they are part of my new family but I still keep them outside my room, if I want to take a nice rest cheesy.

@ Siena, I thought I was the only one that has this fear for cats that makes me wanna terrorize them always grin.

How come you didn't stop your dog when it started chasing your cat? Swiss kill will not see this one eh cheesy

That was a brilliant write up by the way!
Re: , by masterpiecer(m): 2:00pm On Dec 29, 2012
ironically, i find cats very graceful and social animals, don't av 1 though, dunno if my gf will be ok with me owning 1
Re: , by Uchenna42(m): 3:29pm On Dec 29, 2012
U definitely need a diary
Re: , by chronique(m): 3:39pm On Dec 29, 2012
"I HATE CATS WITH A PASSION" BUT I LOVE DOGS. We've always had dogs n they're pretty lovely. But cats? Hell no! My dad once thought of buying a cat when we were growing up cos of rats n I promised him I was going to kill the cat before he comes back from work. He knew what I was capable of doing n as such,dumped d idea. I cant stand cats.
Re: , by Troll: 3:39pm On Dec 29, 2012
[size=16pt] I Love Cats...Ezpecially Gentle Ones grin
I'll Marry A Feline Over One Whining Biitch tongue [/size]
Re: , by 2legit2qwt: 3:51pm On Dec 29, 2012
My coworker has 18 cats and he said him and his wife don't want no kids, the cats are all they care for like their babies cheesy cheesy
Re: , by bigtt76(f): 3:53pm On Dec 29, 2012
Preggers? You need to avoid their droppings as well as their fur not good medically (same for other pets) in your condition. Know to be one good cause of miscarriages. Always wash your hands after handling them.

1 Like

Re: , by DollyParton1(f): 3:55pm On Dec 29, 2012
Nice write up sienna!!! on the look out for ur book.
Re: , by Yahnur(m): 4:23pm On Dec 29, 2012
Your opinion!

Re: , by masterpiecer(m): 4:32pm On Dec 29, 2012
2legit2qwt: My coworker has 18 cats and he said him and his wife don't want no kids, the cats are all they care for like their babies cheesy cheesy

thats really weird and odd, even a million cats cannot replace a baby
Re: , by masterpiecer(m): 4:34pm On Dec 29, 2012
Yahnur: Your opinion!
bros abeg kindly remove that pix, its making my screen look like the 1950s

2 Likes

Re: , by Nobody: 4:40pm On Dec 29, 2012
Really disliked cats until I started having dreams about them angryEven saw myself saving a cat or the other way round. Now I love cats! Can't wait to have my own,will name them Zeus and Bell cheesy
Re: , by timisnup(m): 4:46pm On Dec 29, 2012
Hey, we are talking about cat here, nt ur pix. undecided
Re: , by jaymichael(m): 5:20pm On Dec 29, 2012
I love cats.
Re: , by vibesbabe(f): 5:25pm On Dec 29, 2012
I can't cope with pets.
Re: , by Nobody: 5:34pm On Dec 29, 2012

Looks Boko-haramic

1 Like

Re: , by Rich4god(m): 5:59pm On Dec 29, 2012
www.nairaland.com/attachments/930904_Yahnur_jpg522eb24193089071872ce95b09b1c282
Is it just me... But those this in anyway look like a cat.
Re: , by Lakayana: 6:38pm On Dec 29, 2012
What these people have is oyinbo problem it does not concern us at all.
Re: , by Lakayana: 6:40pm On Dec 29, 2012
Rich4god: www.nairaland.com/attachments/930904_Yahnur_jpg522eb24193089071872ce95b09b1c282
Is it just me... But those this in anyway look like a cat.
He looks like a boko cat.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Is Why You Should NEVER Let Your Wife Dominate The Family!! (Photo) / Photo ...wife Caught Cheating Husband Having Séx With Her Best Friend / Pregnant Women In Work Places

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.