Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,478 members, 7,816,130 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:05 AM

Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? (8456 Views)

Poll: Do you see Transcorp PLC living up to its lofty expectations?

Yes: 25% (19 votes)
No: 74% (56 votes)
This poll has ended

Tony Elumelu In The Gym At Transcorp Hotel / These Are The Nigerians Benefiting From The Fall Of The Naira / An Aerial View Of Nicon Nuga Hilton (Now Transcorp Hotel) Abuja In 1987 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by d1tha1: 1:13am On Feb 20, 2008
Waserock , well said. Like I pointed out earlier, transcorps description as a giant was ONLY in its ASPIRATIONS to be like Asian giants (Samsung, et al)-Just theory and creative marketing. No giant balance sheet or profits to claim a status reserved for the Microsofts, Samsungs, and Mobils of this world. Not even by comparative Nigerian standards was it a giant. Really, this giant thing shows how much they deceived the people!
(, and oh yeah, Waserock,, your description of PDP using the emoticons ROCKS!!!!!!!! cool wink cry)

john08 , LOL, grin my brother, are u saying we should all rely on your mind on this matter? Somehow my own mind tells me that’s not possible!!! Or do you get message from ancestors? lipsrsealed

My recommendation, if u invested in transcorp then as its time to “cut your losses” and “shine ya eye well, well” next time around.
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by busybody20: 1:43am On Feb 20, 2008
I'm waiting for the shares to become 50k so that I can buy. grin I hope the suspension is lifted soon enough. wink
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by fatherab1: 11:54am On Feb 20, 2008
The rich buy when everyone is selling cheap but the poor buy when everyone is selling high.
Two worlds of difference.
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by gbainde: 3:53pm On Feb 20, 2008
transcorp was a big idea like the chaebols of south korea. I love the idea but it was crafted with politics and a group of allies of the former government. The companies and monuments sold by OBJ at giveaway prices needed to be revisited but Yaradua should not fool itself hoping that his ministers and friends can fix any pblic institutions in Nigeria. Ajaokuta, Delta Steel, refineries,Nitel and others except national monuments should be sold at open bid process. Then we begin to tackle the issues of power supply, multiple taxation, security and so on affecting the real sector. Yaradua should brace up as Nigeria needs drastic change, the rule of law theory will not affect the price of fish in the market. economy will only grow with open market enterprise with government as the vigilant and unbiased empire.
thanks.
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by Gettolove(m): 4:29pm On Feb 20, 2008
I read in the paper today that the decision to reverse the licence was taken by both F.G. and transcorp on the ground of insufficient capital to run the business.
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by Jonlafrika(m): 4:58pm On Feb 20, 2008
@Ogalanya,
please email me your stockbroker's contact. I need to change one of my stockbrokers. He's not a performer.
ab2k7@yahoo.com

Father ab, e be like say your stockbroker had made you to buy into trans'corpse' grin
Dont give up, anything can happen, and when things start lookin up, you wont call your stockbroker a 'non-performer'
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by fatherab1: 5:21pm On Feb 20, 2008
@Johnlafrika,
You dis guy sef! You de fear to make a BIG costumer for your Stockbroker?
Not to worry, I dont have just one but a consortium of different stockbrokers.
As for the giant no, dwarf Transcorp, I didnt fall for their promises though I saw it as a potential buy. My singular reason was because Baba Iyabo had HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of shares in it then.
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by loye2000: 5:28pm On Feb 20, 2008
Available statistics show that the total stock of Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) to Nigeria in 2003 which amounted to $2.4bn, accounted for 43 % of gross domestic products in Nigeria.
FDI has doubled in the last three years with the growth in the country being phenomenal, using the data for the past four years to extrapolate for prospects of FDI in Nigeria in 2008, it is projected that FDI would certainly climb up to about US$8.6bn in 2008.
Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) in Nigeria is expected to continue the trend of the last three to four years. Source: UNCTAD, World Investment Report, 2007
The significance of this trend is that the emerging Nigeria would record corresponding boosts in some vital economic indices like employment, capital formation and price level.
Some fundamental reasons have been attributed to the growth in FDI to Nigeria which includes lure of globalization; the issues of poverty and most especially positive government policies. With democratic governance came the hope of a stable market for foreign investment in Nigeria.
The recent unilateral reversal of the NITEL/MTEL sale of majority ownership to TRANSCORP (Managing Partners) is INCONSISTENT with the Nigerian Government’s policy on economic deregulation and liberalization.  Its impact on foreign direct investment and the perception of the Nigerian Government as an impediment to private investments cannot be overemphasized. 
World Investment Report 2007, Transnational Corporations, Extractive Industries and Development add that the value of cross-border mergers and acquisitions (M&A) in Africa also reached a record level of $18 billion in 2006. About half of those M&As were accounted for by transnational corporations from developing Asia.
The recent unilateral reversal of the NITEL/MTEL sale of majority shares to TRANSCORP begs the following questions;
• Are our investments safe in Nigeria?
• Can we promote investments in key sectors of the economy?
• Is the Nigerian government a reliable and trustworthy partner?
• How could a government “forcefully expropriate” shares of a publicly held company?
• What happened to the court system and due process if there were any disputes in the share purchase agreement?

It is therefore believed that government actions is aimed at impeding foreign investment and privatization which will turn the clock backwards for Nigeria in these very crucial times.
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by skipo87(m): 6:22pm On Feb 20, 2008
"transcorp" is just synonymous to the phrase "jack of all trade master of none" too bad it seems they'll end that way
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by BabsO2(m): 7:50pm On Feb 20, 2008
[b]The Transcorp idea was bright. [/b]Let us not be too hasty. NITEL out of their operating lead may be a good thing. They now need a non-political business area to focus on and regain credibility. Or better still do not rely on Government Assets like Nitel or Steel or NEPA. They should just go for something simple.

For all those who invested in Transcorp take heart and stay the course. It is a bright idea with many jokers preying here and there.

Sad, so much opportunities abound in Nigeria but the enabling environment is not there and a lot of businesses are struggling with unemployment so high.

I am getting dissappointed in Yar Adua day by day. Look at power its statements and stories we hear. He will soon mark 1 year with no major achievement other than perhaps rate of theft of government funds may be on the decline. Without him creating enabling environment, the right structures and improvement to existing structures the next person after him can get all the money looted within a few months.
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by fatherab1: 10:00am On Feb 21, 2008
I believe that it wont take the government a month to find better investors who will stumble on themselves to manage Nitel/Mtel. If you heard today's news, you will agree with me. But for transcorp, FG tactifully twisted the arms of their leadership to lie that they gave their consent to the reversal. Too bad. sad
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by d1tha1: 1:51am On Feb 22, 2008
:oNo Reversal??!?!? Who is fooling who? angry

Wether it was with transcorp's consent or not (and I doubt it was) a reversal of sale to transcorp OR reduction of its ownership to a minority holding of only 10% (which the papers report was even "magnanimously granted" by the government) means essentially the same thing for investors - TRANSCORP no longer has control of NITEL and cannot claim to be a majority investor. In fact, it is just like any ordinary investor like the general public will little influence in the decision making process.

It seems the government's recent change in rhetoric about the reversal is just an attempt to save face cos I think they have realised what a major blunder they have made with respect to investor confidence. Or maybe it is the guys in transcorp that pressure the govt into revising its statement because in order to minimise the impending run on the company's shares by investors.

shame. sad
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by software(m): 6:42am On Feb 22, 2008
i am very sure, that with the neew reforms, transcorp will bounce back even stronger, its just gonna be a matter of time,

my money no dey go like that oooo grin
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by frankiriri(m): 8:25am On Feb 22, 2008
software:

my money no dey go like that oooo grin
Wishful thinking. Even if it does well given the fact that you could have performed better in other stocks you would still have lost in terms of opportunities lost.
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by ty4real(m): 8:28am On Feb 22, 2008
@All!
I hope they have plans torefund my money ooo because all this ones are just stories ! grin grin grin
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by aftadocean: 8:52am On Feb 22, 2008
Food for thought for all:

1. Transcorp is not a Giant. Reason; A Giant describes something that went through the normal process of growth but grew beyond normal, bearing in mind it had at its disposal the same measure of resources as its counterpart or peer.

2. If you are an ardent follower of the trends in the stockmarket, say you have been following the Nigerian stock market for the past four to five years, you would have noticed something:those stocks that appeared to have no future back then are playing big now eg Afroil,Eterna oil and Afrprint to mention a few. The lesson ; Every stock has a season of stagnation, retrogression and a season of bounty.

Having said this, Transcorp will still experience a season of bounty. I know this might sound funny, but that is the beauty of the business environment. When I look at a stock like AP today, I really marvel at what a single move by one person can do. I invested in transcorp and The truth is if I had more money, I would buy more.

PATIENCE my friends is what y'all need to play in any stock market. The price at which transcorp is trading on the floor today is the real price of transcorp, and might even get lower, on the otherhand, virtually all stocks on the floor of the NSE are overpriced. An average Nigerian investor follows the crowd, Stocks don't work that way. Remember NASCON? One day trading and bla bla bla, where is it today? It will still pick up o! but I can tell you that all those that went to the floor to buy that day are short term investors, and so are not too happy with the way the stock has turned out.

Last year, Quite a lot of people went to borrow money to buy FIRST bank. What happened? Money was returned massively at an extremely lower interest rate than the interst rate to borrow. Talk about bandwagon effect. Right now, everyone is doing insurance(Laugh!). Well for those who are just buying into the insurance sector, Pray and Be patient, 'cos all those insurance stocks are overpriced.

For all transcorp investors, my advice is to be patient.
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by fatherab1: 9:09am On Feb 22, 2008
@last poster,
I like some of your ideas
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by Pennywise(m): 2:17pm On Feb 22, 2008
aftadocean:

1. Transcorp is not a Giant. Reason; A Giant describes something that went through the normal process of growth but grew beyond normal, bearing in mind it had at its disposal the same measure of resources as its counterpart or peer.

2. If you are an ardent follower of the trends in the stockmarket, say you have been following the Nigerian stock market for the past four to five years, you would have noticed something:those stocks that appeared to have no future back then are playing big now eg Afroil,Eterna oil and Afrprint to mention a few. The lesson ; Every stock has a season of stagnation, retrogression and a season of bounty.

Having said this, Transcorp will still experience a season of bounty. I know this might sound funny, but that is the beauty of the business environment. When I look at a stock like AP today, I really marvel at what a single move by one person can do. I invested in transcorp and The truth is if I had more money, I would buy more.

PATIENCE my friends is what y'all need to play in any stock market. The price at which transcorp is trading on the floor today is the real price of transcorp, and might even get lower, on the otherhand, virtually all stocks on the floor of the NSE are overpriced. An average Nigerian investor follows the crowd, Stocks don't work that way. Remember NASCON? One day trading and bla bla bla, where is it today? It will still pick up o! but I can tell you that all those that went to the floor to buy that day are short term investors, and so are not too happy with the way the stock has turned out.

Last year, Quite a lot of people went to borrow money to buy FIRST bank. What happened? Money was returned massively at an extremely lower interest rate than the interst rate to borrow. Talk about bandwagon effect. Right now, everyone is doing insurance(Laugh!). Well for those who are just buying into the insurance sector, Pray and Be patient, 'because all those insurance stocks are overpriced.

When Transcorp wakes up from its coma, we will know. And I will be among the first to come and take profit. In the mean time let the action on the floor continue.
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by Morocco: 9:18pm On Feb 22, 2008
Nigerians are some of the most subservient and gullible people on the face of earth.
Transcorp? How anyone with half a common sense in modern economics and financial management could have bought into that ridiculous dream of a megalomaniac really does baffle me. It is simple incredulous but what can you expect from the generation of praise singers and “alagbes” that the Ota general had gathered around himself. Any person who is godless and vain-glorious in all human ramitification will always seek populist ideas to perpetuate themselves in whatever capacity they find themself in. Ndidi began to miss her mark when she began to cling to the powers that be and led that inglorious Corporate Nigeria agenda. When will our people learn? I am amassed.
Transcorp was just a multipurpose vehicle dreamt up to siphon government funds and property. Look at it from this perspective if you will. Longe was dismissed essentially because he bought into an idea (GSM), he and FB Plc paid a dire price, yet the same powers that saw his vulnerability to novel ideas and his single mindedness seek to use him to perpetuate another mindless vision building on his need for Maslov theory of needs to be fulfilled. When people put themselves above the majority and only think of themselves what can you expect.
My friends were investing their hard earned monies in Transcorp and I vehemently told them they will regret it, and I am not surprised at the turn of event.
If Transcorp is falling today, it is just the beginning, let us wait and see what will happen in the days ahead, afterall this is Nigeria, and all of us "dey kempe"
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by IykeD1(m): 1:11am On Feb 23, 2008

Nigerians are some of the most subservient and gullible people on the face of earth.
Transcorp? How anyone with half a common sense in modern economics and financial management could have bought into that ridiculous dream of a megalomaniac really does baffle me. It is simple incredulous but what can you expect from the generation of praise singers and “alagbes” that the Ota general had gathered around himself. Any person who is godless and vain-glorious in all human ramitification will always seek populist ideas to perpetuate themselves in whatever capacity they find themself in. Ndidi began to miss her mark when she began to cling to the powers that be and led that inglorious Corporate Nigeria agenda. When will our people learn? I am amassed.
Transcorp was just a multipurpose vehicle dreamt up to siphon government funds and property. Look at it from this
perspective if you will. Longe was dismissed essentially because he bought into an idea (GSM), he and FB Plc paid a dire price, yet the same powers that saw his vulnerability to novel ideas and his single mindedness seek to use him to perpetuate another mindless vision building on his need for Maslov theory of needs to be fulfilled. When people put themselves above the majority and only think of themselves what can you expect.
My friends were investing their hard earned monies in Transcorp and I vehemently told them they will regret it, and I am not surprised at the turn of event.
If Transcorp is falling today, it is just the beginning, let us wait and see what will happen in the days ahead, afterall this is Nigeria, and all of us "dey kempe"

Sometimes it pays to assume that somehow someone in your audience knows a bit more than you, thus
its proper to show a little respect because truth be told, if it was possible for one to get a list of Transcorp
shareholders (past or present), you will be amazed that it may contain list of some investors who have
been successful in the capital market either in Nigeria or overseas, people who definitely know more than
you when it comes to investment. Some people invest for different reasons or with different goals in mind.
Sure they will always be those following the crowd who thought they will make 1000% profit in 6 months,
but that is no reason to assume that all those that invested had no clue about investing.

Fact is that the two entities being privatized which Transcorp managed to purchase where already running
into snags before they come on the scene. And if indeed, the goal was to siphon public funds while should
Transcorp or NITEL at that be having the financial difficulties they are having now, you will think by now they
will simply siphon $1billion and use it to pay or reinvest in NITEL, why bother with loans?

One of the biggest problem of Transcorp was because it was initiated as a "national project" by a leader
who is now very reviled and for good reasons. There was nothing wrong with the idea, the execution and
those carrying on the execution is where the problem lies. GREED and the absence of integrity seems to be
rampant among those who were crucial in the formation of the company - Dangote, Okoye, and all.

Having said all that, if indeed Transcorp goes down never to wake up again, then people like you are the
wise men. But if that doesn't happen and if somehow its able to find its footing, people like you will definitely
regret not getting in. While some of you are so eager to read Transcorp its final rites, that may just be
premature.

As per Longe's blunder, First Bank did announce that it was getting back the $100million or so that it
supposingly lost on the NITEL deal. Now is that still much of a blunder?
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by IykeD1(m): 1:31am On Feb 23, 2008
So it looks like things are where they were two weeks ago before the irresponsible announcement?

ThisDay
FG, Transcorp Agree on NITEL Sale
From Juliana Taiwo and Onyebuchi Ezigbo in Abuja, 02.23.2008

Add To Favorites
Print This Article
Post Comment

The controversy trailing the revocation of the sale of Nigerian Telecommunication Limited (NITEL) and its mobile subsidiary,
Mobile Telecommunication Limited (M-Tel) to Transnational Corporation of Nigeria Plc (Transcorp) was yesterday laid to rest
with the federal government and the management of Transcorp agreeing to bring in a new core investor. This was part of
the four-point agreement contained in a communiqué signed by the Minister of Information and Communications, Mr. John
Odey and the Group Managing Director of Transcorp, Mr. Tom Iseghohi after a meeting by both parties.

The two parties also agreed that the new core investor must be an industry top player with the requisite focus, technical
expertise, managerial experience and financial capacity necessary for turning around NITEL. A presidential source said
yesterday’s agreement tallied with what Transcorp had agreed with President Umaru Yar’Adua, prior to last weekend’s
bungling of the announcement by Odey on the intent of government for the telecommunications firm.

The communiqué reads: “The Federal Government and Transcorp representatives met this morning on NITEL/M-TEL and
agreed to do everything possible - following due process and rule of law - to resuscitate NITEL/M-TEL into a viable and
profitable world class telecommunications company providing quality service to the Nigerian public.

“To bring a new core investor that is an industry player with the requite focus, technical expertise, managerial experience
and financial capacity to take controlling shares in NITEL/M-TEL. The new core investor will emerge through an open and
transparent process.

“To reconfirm the earlier mutual agreement between government and Transcorp for both to relinquish shares sufficient
to give comfort and controlling interest to the new operator/investor consistent with the December 2007 agreement.”
The two parties said the decisions taken are in the best interest of the industry, stakeholders and the Nigerian people.

However, Transcorp’s Vice President, Communications, Adedayo Ojo, explained that no agreement was reached on the
percentage of shares to be relinquished to the new core investor. He said another meeting would soon be held during
which both parties would agree on what percentage that will go to the new core investor.

Also yesterday, workers of NITEL besieged the Radio House premises, venue of the Transcorp/FG meeting, where they
condemned alleged efforts by Transcorp to retain its interests in NITEL. The workers numbering several hundreds chanted
solidarity songs, demanding Trascorp hands-off NITEL.

In a letter addressed to the President Yar’Adua and distributed to newsmen, the protesting workers said Transcorp
should back out completely and should not benefit from the restructured transaction planned for NITEL “because it has
not shown any competence in the management of a telecommunications company.”

They urged the federal government to sue Transcorp for acquiring NITEL under falsehood and violating the terms of the
agreement which they entered into with the federal government. Following last weekend's mis-communication by the
Minister of Information and Communication, four reputable telecom firms, Telkom and Vodacom, both of South Africa,
Orascom of Egypt and France Telecom were reported to have already indicated interest in taking over the troubled
national carrier.

Whether Transcorp retains 1% or 10% this was how it should have been handled, that way you don't drive fears into
investors.
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by topeteadr(m): 4:58pm On Feb 23, 2008
hhhhhhhhhhhelllo
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by DrAwo(m): 3:15am On Feb 24, 2008
Thank God that madam D.G. of the NSE is also involved in the Transcorp saga. If not for her influence, i'm sure Transcorp will be selling for 0.50k now. She, maybe, used her influence to revert the price of transcorp after the suspension on it's price post public offer was "illegally" lifted. she must have also been quick to act by placing a suspension on the price just when the news about the Nitel reversal issue was raised. Infact, the week before this news hit the market, transcorp appreciated by almost 27%.

Now don't you just smell foul play somewhere!!!

Awo
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by sley4life(m): 12:01pm On Feb 24, 2008
Na una wey go invest go hear am. Thank God I no put my money for Transorp. Na OBJ get am. Una wey go rush buy shares will feel the consequence.
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by badaboom: 6:05pm On Feb 24, 2008
thanks mAligbe for your response to my question,appreciate it
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by bigspif(m): 12:07pm On Feb 25, 2008
To the shareholders of transcorp i wish you well, i pray your effort will not go in vain and i believe something will definately come out good from your investment.
The writting on the wall was clearly stated when transcorp first made debut, stake holder in Transcorp have different approach and interest in doing business (strange bed fellows). The empire was built on false foundation and very political. Why should the business gurus wait for OBJ to bring them together to form transcorp? where is their business acumen? What does OBJ know about buisness? He coerced them into the whole thing hoping to reap what he did not sow after retirement. He offered national assets to these guys on a plater of gold without sweating for it in the hope that he will be let into the action after retirering. Till today can anyone prove to have seen the payment made for NITEL by Transcorp? a paper check was shown to the public during a media confrence by Irene of BPE saying it was payment for NITEL. Transcorp thought government will always be there for them for ever and when the then powers that be bowed out, they found themselves in confussion. Tony's UBA refused to inject money, Jim's Zenith, Dangote's and Ndidi empire all followed suit. You see since they all knew how the assets were aquired (backdoor), they had no faith themselves that it will work. Jim was waiting for Dangote to inject capital, Ndidi was waiting for Tony to do the same and vice-versa.
None of you could ever allow his/her business to ruin if it was aquired by sweat, ask yourselves why transcorp gurus are not in that line of thinking? Let me ask the house what Transcorp is into as a business empire? Telecoms i believe is the gold mine for them which they shunned to tap for over a year since aquisation until it became late. They failed in all the clauses signed in the Share Purchase Agreement with Federal Government, BT had to run for their reputation being at stake. Came someone mention 1 investment Transcorp did since aquiring the Telecom company rather than killing it?
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by d1tha1: 6:30pm On Feb 25, 2008
aftadocean:

aftadocean, food for though for u:

You were right on your first point that Transcorp is not a giant but it can be pointed out that the optimism expressed in your last two points can is doubtful based on your first point. In line with your analogy, consider that most of the "giant" companies that transcopr aspired to be like did not start out as multi-product companies but as companies focusing on one specific product in one specific industry. If I am correct, Samsung or Sony started out producing basic transistor radios and over the years expanded its product base while remaining in the same ICT industry. So they have one competence and create innovative products based on that competence- also their expansion into other industries are thus related to their original core competence.

Now look at transcorp: what specific induustry competence did it premise its creation on? Even now what is the company's specific industry competence? Rather it set out to be a "Jack of all trades" and no matter how creative the marketing the rule is that such a move makes one a "master of none". Now it is that lack of competence that is coming back to haunt it as it does not have the competence to manage an telecoms business that it received on a platter of gold. This lack of competence also makes it impossible to attract the kind of huge capital outlay required in industries like telecoms, power and oil and gas. No matter who your backers are, financiers will not just give you money because Jim Ovia or Dangote is on your board but the look at the numbers and competence and sadly transcorp has none of those - that is why their IPO was massivley undersubcsribed and insitutional investors did not invest heavily. So it was a great idea but a flawed business model. It has taken some real corporate giants 100s of years to get to where they are today and transcorp wanted to create that on day 1. impossible as u can see from the NITEL case.

Now because of this flawed model, i do not think it is right to draw comparison between the price swings (e.g. stagnation and bounty as u say) of transcorp and that of NASCON, eterna, etc. These are businesses which have clear competences but had expereince stagnation due to management problems or insufficient capital. Their specific product-focus makes them good targets for coroporate turn arounds and that is why they are all ding well now on the market. Transcorp's problem is one of a poor vision/strategy/model and I assure you that as long as those problems remain, its share price will remain flat. After all, information is what drives the price.

Last year, Quite a lot of people went to borrow money to buy FIRST bank. What happened? Money was returned massively at an extremely lower interest rate than the interst rate to borrow. Talk about bandwagon effect. Right now, everyone is doing insurance(Laugh!). Well for those who are just buying into the insurance sector, Pray and Be patient, 'because all those insurance stocks are overpriced.

Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by aftadocean: 8:16am On Feb 26, 2008
d1tha1

Appreciate your analogy. However, as investors, we buy for different reasons. I acknowledge the fact that transcorp is not a giant as you read in my post, but I still went ahead to buy. Only few IPOs actually come out as giants.
Like you said, information is what drives a market. And trust me when I say Nigeria's stock market is inefficient, driven more by hear say and rumours rather than actual financial and ethical fundamentals as the case should be.

I really would love to rest my case here on this matter, but I ain't backing out from my optimism on transcorp. Why? you may ask, My risk appetite won't let me! and it has worked for me!
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by d1tha1: 11:22pm On Feb 26, 2008
aftadocean,

I respect your positon my guy and was only offering another perspective. U are right: we buy for different reasons based on risk appetites that sometimes defy common reasoning - I for one invested in NOSPETCO undecided and am trying to remain optimistic that I'll get my investment back.

I feel you and wish u d best. smiley
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by shooo1: 8:15am On Mar 05, 2008
so how do we get our small change back, nobody will even buy it in the market, can't they just liquidate and share the proceed, or should we keep on hoping management will change and profit in the future, kai!! e dey pain me o
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by moraachi: 1:00pm On Mar 05, 2008
u are foolish 4 buying transcorp
Re: Transcorp: The Fall Of A Giant? by Jonlafrika(m): 9:29am On Mar 06, 2008
Read this on Nitel and if you are still holding on to your stocks on transcorp

Transcorp: NITEL boss resigns

CHIEF Executive Officer of NITEL, Malam Ahmed Nahuche, on Wednesday resigned his appointment with Transnational Corporation (Transcorp), citing dwindling fortunes.

“I do not see any end in sight. I am left with no option but to tender my resignation, '' Nahuche wrote in a letter to Transcorp, dated March 5, 2008.

Nahuche is the fourth chief executive to head the company in the last one year following the resignation of Mr Steve Brookman, a British Telecom Consultant and Ms Funke Opeke, a former Chief Technical Officer (CTO) of MTN.

Mr Nicholas Okoye, an Executive Director in Transcorp, held fort briefly before the appointment of Nahuche on June 2, last year.

Brookman quit the position after Transcorp fell out with the British Telecom on partnership agreements, while Opeke, who conducted the due diligence on NITEL, resigned due to poor funding of the company.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Starting A Candle Business With Little Start-up Cost / Nigeria Naira Vs. Ghana Cedi / First Private Refinery Begins Operation In Rivers State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.