Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,453 members, 7,770,124 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:39 AM

Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? (12989 Views)

Fun Facts About "Boxing Day" The 26th Of December / The Literal Meaning Of Boxing Day / My Birthday Is 26th June,my Girl Is Also 26th June (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by Nobody: 10:22am On Dec 22, 2012
I dont want to google this. Let us hear it from nairalanders.

25th is Christmas day. 26th is boxing day. Who are we boxing

2 Likes

Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by Nobody: 10:49am On Dec 22, 2012
you open boxes of gifts after the previous day

7 Likes

Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by outrage: 11:11am On Dec 22, 2012
Mike tyson made his 26th knock out on 26th december. That's why.
Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Dec 22, 2012
Okay
Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by Nobody: 3:12pm On Dec 22, 2012
outrage: Mike tyson made his 26th knock out on 26th december. That's why.

Sure

olas2u: you open boxes of gifts after the previous day

How many people shared gifts this Christmas as things tight like .... I got my first hamper this Christmas and its the heaviest hamper i have ever seen. Thanks to UNICEM.

I had money to buy gifts for my customers last december but nothing this year. May God help us in January. Amin Jesu...
Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by Queendo(f): 4:56pm On Dec 22, 2012
Usually after receiving Christmas gifts, u put them all in a box after merrymaking on 25 then 26 is d day to open then up and box them back.
Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by braine(m): 6:51pm On Dec 22, 2012
Do people even receive Christmas gifts anymore? Can't remember the last time I got a gift from anybody. sad

4 Likes

Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by Gabrielsylar(m): 6:52pm On Dec 22, 2012
Cos its a day husband hide from their wives after excessive xmas spending

2 Likes

Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by jpcomrade: 6:52pm On Dec 22, 2012
Read your Bible very well,read Mathew from beginning to the end
Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by sneak3(m): 7:00pm On Dec 22, 2012
It is the day set aside to settle beef by breaking each other's jaw. Hahahaha.

But seriously, the idea is exchange of gift i.e after celebrating the birth of Christ on the 25th, then it is expected of you to show love to one anoda nd that can be done by Exchanging gifts. And that is where the whole idea of Boxing day emanates. because its only in boxing you exchange blows

1 Like

Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by princemaicheal: 7:01pm On Dec 22, 2012
to me is just to make the holiday longer

1 Like

Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by Warlord3000(m): 7:03pm On Dec 22, 2012
Oya make I help U̶̲̥̅̊ ask google.. smiley

6 Likes

Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by Nobody: 7:05pm On Dec 22, 2012
WTF? Its called boxing day cos you wear boxers that day and cook indomie angry

8 Likes

Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by donigspain(m): 7:05pm On Dec 22, 2012
26th December is a day set aside in ancient Britain where the rich and affluent in the land present boxed gifts to the poor and needy. It was established in order to help give the poor a sense of belonging.

3 Likes

Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by Goldie20: 7:05pm On Dec 22, 2012
Boxing day was a day in England where all the rich people will box up gift for their servant ! So it became a holiday ^_~
Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by Emmy9ite(m): 7:05pm On Dec 22, 2012
Box-ing day. The day to share gifts /unwrap boxed gifts. Last year i received a boxed tear rubber jag.
Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by delors(m): 7:06pm On Dec 22, 2012
Jesus was born on the 25th. The 3 wise men met n presented gifts to him the second day....so, its a day believed to be ideal for presenting gifts. Boxed gifts o...not punching your neighbours o...Boxed gifts like this...

6 Likes

Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by udemzyudex(m): 7:06pm On Dec 22, 2012
After recieveing gifts on christmas day,boxing day which is 26th is a day for opening all ur gift....u knw some pple package their gift in a box form....so 26th is meant for u to open ur box(gift) thats why it is called boxing day..
Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by r231(m): 7:06pm On Dec 22, 2012
That's the day you put all your gifts together and separate the bad ones then take them back to the person that gave them to you and knock them out with nice blow grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by uyonega(f): 7:06pm On Dec 22, 2012
its actually boxes day.... a day 4 openin boxes of presents
Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by olempe(m): 7:07pm On Dec 22, 2012
That's cos it's the gift exchange day where people send gifts to each other in boxes. But here in Naija, most peeps send plates of rice and text msgs... D;
Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by vision2050: 7:08pm On Dec 22, 2012
A day seperate for a gift in a box from santa claus to those who came to greet him during xmas period.
Shey u get me?
Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by dridowu: 7:13pm On Dec 22, 2012
Is called boxing day because I love to box my fellow NLs
Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by pak: 7:15pm On Dec 22, 2012
delors: Jesus was born on the 25th. The 3 wise men met n presented gifts to him the second day....so, its a day believed to be ideal for presenting gifts. Boxed gifts o...not punching your neighbours o...Boxed gifts like this...

Mighty gaffe . . .

First class graduate, you didn't do your homework well this time around.

First off, Jesus wasn't born on any Dec 25 - Nobody conducts a local census in winter(unless you stay in the tropics). And Shepherds don't stay outside watching flocks in freezing cold.

two, the three wise men must have presented their gifts between a year or two after Jesus was born, not the next day. They saw his star in the far east and traveled all the way to the middle east. There were no planes nor trains in them days. And after they got to Jerusalem, they still took some time to locate him.

So I guess the OP should listen to the inputs of earlier posters

4 Likes

Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by shadrach77: 7:27pm On Dec 22, 2012
okpara ugo: I dont want to google this. Let us hear it from nairalanders.

25th is Christmas day. 26th is boxing day. Who are we boxing
you don't want to google it, but you should have been wise enough to realise that the answers you get on here would be from google angry angry angry angry
Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by Nobody: 7:30pm On Dec 22, 2012
Boss, you'r mouthed!
Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Dec 22, 2012
That's the day you put all your gifts together and separate the bad ones then take them back to the person that gave them to you and knock them out with nice blow BOSS, U AR MOUTHED
Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by Morgan1092(m): 7:39pm On Dec 22, 2012
It is a special day set aside 2 box/fight anybody dat provoked u on 25th Dec.

1 Like

Re: Why Is 26th December Tagged Boxing Day ??? by Morgan1092(m): 7:40pm On Dec 22, 2012
jpcomrade: Read your Bible very well,read Mathew from beginning to the end
Whc knd punishment b dat? Y nt say d chapter n verse.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Wife Falsely Accuses Husband Of Plotting To 'Blow Up Plane' / Easter: FG Declares March 25, March 28 As Public Holidays / Certified Business

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.