Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,200 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:14 PM

Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony (9843 Views)

Is It Allow For Muslims To Kiss On Walimatul Nikkai Ceremonial Day / Cutting Of Cake & Doing Other Western Rites In Nikkai, How Islamic Are They? / Thoughts On The Death Of Osama Bin Laden By Yasir Qadhi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by Nobody: 8:16pm On Dec 23, 2012
Well, i dont think i've seen such a ceremony before. Its either 100% islamic or 100% christian way. In the other way, a 100% traditional style.

I just saw on TV, red carpet tv to be precise, the wedding/nikkai of the daughter of a member of the Ekiti state House of assembly Hon Mrs Oriniowo.

It took place between 6th dec - 8th dec 2012.

On thursday 6th dec, it was the engagement and the usual traditional razzmattaz.

On friday 7th dec, it was a proper islamic nikkai, with the couples fully dressed in islamic attires. Got the marital blessings from the religious leaders.

On sat 8th dec, it was the church wedding at the chapels delight church in Alausa Ikeja Lagos(Not too far from the secretariat) The church was filled(as expected, its the daughter of a serving HOA member)

same day after the church service, they all proceeded to the popular event centre on billings way oregun in Ikeja Lagos (Grandeur). The reception saw the presence of top Nigerians like the gov and deputy of Ekiti state, Ayo fayose(former ekiti sate gove) and many others.

One thing is certain, the couples are christians cos the way they moved in the church.

What can u say about this, muslims? wrong or right?

I've never witnessed such before.
Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by Zaynee63: 9:55pm On Dec 23, 2012
I saw it too. Wonder why u think it strange cuz its sort of common in the southwest here. Even my brv did it wuth his christian wife this year. Its not strange at all. If u want to marry a muslim n would wish to remain christian, be ready to do it cuz her family will insist on their own Islamic part of the wedding. Its common.

2 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by Nobody: 10:15pm On Dec 23, 2012
Zaynee63: I saw it too. Wonder why u think it strange cuz its sort of common in the southwest here. Even my brv did it wuth his christian wife this year. Its not strange at all. If u want to marry a muslim n would wish to remain christian, be ready to do it cuz her family will insist on their own Islamic part of the wedding. Its common.
great. I hope i can take a muslim wife now. cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by sammieone(m): 1:42pm On Dec 28, 2012
In candid interest, is it bad? Sincerely my babe want a nikkah and am a christian. We will have nikai on friday (as planned) prior the saturday event (although I have not made up my mind if we will do church service).... Am christian and she is from muslim family.
Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by faporori24: 1:43pm On Dec 28, 2012
Do whatever you like mr president is going to increase fuel in January because fuel don dey scarce now wait and see nah AK 47 i go carry this time if something like that happen make we do something before it too late anyway i want to contest for my state house of rep coming 2015 thanks.
Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by k2039: 1:45pm On Dec 28, 2012
[color=soyouquotedme]What was the OP's question? [/color]

What can u say about this, muslims? wrong or right?

[color=soyouquotedme]My answer: They are Left.

This must be the question of the century, if it wasn't right, do you think they would have done it?

Besides why didn't the OP question if the christians were right?
[/color]
Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by DANILSA(m): 1:46pm On Dec 28, 2012
WHAT IS NIKKAI? DO WE MEAN SHOT NIKA?
WELL THAT IS CALLED RELIGIOUS CONFUSION AND INDECISION.
Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by papagiddy(m): 1:52pm On Dec 28, 2012
but quran forbids a christian taking a moslem wife.na death o!
Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by Siddeek: 1:54pm On Dec 28, 2012
God4bid me marry xtian. 4 wat? Marriage is soppose 2 be muslim,muslim tin or xtian, xtian tin and not d oda way rnd.

2 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by outrage: 1:58pm On Dec 28, 2012
[size=13pt]islamic wedding today and church wedding tomorrow!? Chei!! People get question to aswer on tht final day o!
Omo see re-writing of religious rules..
[/size]

Its sad, but can't help it *falls from mango tree*

3 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by Eneze1(f): 2:04pm On Dec 28, 2012
outrage: [size=13pt]islamic wedding today and church wedding tomorrow!? Chei!! People get question to aswer on tht final day o!
Omo see re-writing of religious rules..
[/size]

Its sad, but can't help it *falls from mango tree*

hp u did not break ur head grin grin
Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by mkoabiola: 2:04pm On Dec 28, 2012
Which eva way muslim/xtain.
D main tin,na make men of God either islam/pastor bless d marriage followed by item 77 and leav d rest for God.
Are we God?NO!
Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by tohirah(f): 2:07pm On Dec 28, 2012
I want to believe both are not so serious abt their religion. Marriage is supposed to be something that covers every aspect of ones life.marry someone that compliments you in all aspect;someone that helps you with ur faith. Even the quran and bible says so

2 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by osifred(m): 3:02pm On Dec 28, 2012
The beginning of confusion in the home.
Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by anishe(m): 3:08pm On Dec 28, 2012
This is strictly forbidden in Islam. A muslim lady is not allowed to marry a non-muslim, sl also, a non-muslim lady to be married by a muslim man must have first converted before the marriage can go ahead. Islam has its own laws, whether we follow it or not does not change the Laws. People can practice whatever they like, but Islam has its own Laws.
Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by rman: 3:29pm On Dec 28, 2012
I don't see anything wrong with it.

A few homes in the SW(YORUBA) started like this ( muslim marrying a christian ), and the marriages have been successful with both spouses maintaining their religious beliefs.

A lot of christian/christain marriges have failed while we also have a lot of muslim/muslim marriages that have failed too.

If you feel religion is key to the success of your marriage then it will play a key role. Those that don't want it to play a key role will still have successful marriages.

It is the individuals involved that determines the success of their union. We are just too pre-occupied with religion and societal expectation instead of happiness and living life to the fullest. A lot of people married the wrong people while jettisoning a great LOVE/RELATIONSHIP due to religious differences.

The couple in the OP post are teaching and showing us what religious tolerance and true love is. Everyone that claims they will never marry someone from another religion is simply a regious bigot that can not tolerate other people religious beliefs.

5 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by tbaba1234: 3:33pm On Dec 28, 2012
anishe: This is strictly forbidden in Islam. A muslim lady is not allowed to marry a non-muslim, sl also, a non-muslim lady to be married by a muslim man must have first converted before the marriage can go ahead. Islam has its own laws, whether we follow it or not does not change the Laws. People can practice whatever they like, but Islam has its own Laws.

Salam, The bolded is incorrect,

A muslim man can marry a chaste christian or Jew without the person becoming muslim. There is no compulsion in religion, the person should convert by their own conviction. It is not an ideal condition but there is no pre condition for conversion before marriage.

Allah says in Surah Maidah:

Today all good things have been made lawful for you. The food of the People of the Book is lawful for you as your food is lawful for them. So are chaste, believing, women as well as chaste women of the people who were given the Scripture before you, as long as you have given them their bride-gifts and married them, not taking them as lovers or secret mistresses. (Surah maidah:5)

7 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by mkoabiola: 3:40pm On Dec 28, 2012
rman: I don't see anything wrong with it.

A few homes in the SW(YORUBA) started like this ( muslim marrying a christian ), and the marriages have been successful with both spouses maintaining their religious beliefs.

A lot of christian/christain marriges have failed while we also have a lot of muslim/muslim marriages that have failed too.

If you feel religion is key to the success of your marriage then it will play a key role. Those that don't want it to play a key role will still have successful marriages.

It is the individuals involved that determines the success of their union. We are just too pre-occupied with religion and societal expectation instead of happiness and living life to the fullest. A lot of people married the wrong people while jettisoning a great LOVE/RELATIONSHIP due to religious differences.

The couple in the OP post are teaching and showing us what religious tolerance and true love is. Everyone that claims they will never marry someone from another religion is simply a regious bigot that can not tolerate other people religious beliefs.
On point.
Gbam!!!
Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by Nobody: 4:15pm On Dec 28, 2012
tbaba1234:

Salam, The bolded is incorrect,

A muslim man can marry a chaste christian or Jew without the person becoming muslim. There is no compulsion in religion, the person should convert by their own conviction. It is not an ideal condition but there is no pre condition for conversion before marriage.

Allah says in Surah Maidah:

Today all good things have been made lawful for you. The food of the People of the Book is lawful for you as your food is lawful for them. So are chaste, believing, women as well as chaste women of the people who were given the Scripture before you, as long as you have given them their bride-gifts and married them, not taking them as lovers or secret mistresses. (Surah maidah:5)

Wa salam waramatul llahi,
Thanks 4 d insight....... I was about to post the same thing!!!

anishe: This is strictly forbidden in Islam. A muslim lady is not allowed to marry a non-muslim, sl also, a non-muslim lady to be married by a muslim man must have first converted before the marriage can go ahead. Islam has its own laws, whether we follow it or not does not change the Laws. People can practice whatever they like, but Islam has its own Laws.

Muslims can marry chaste christians/jews!!!!

The laws are still intact.....No Infringement in this case!!!!
Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:55pm On Dec 28, 2012
THIS IS SAD. sad

It shows the slave mentality Nigerians today suffer from. they would rathar choose all the foreign methods rathar than their own Traiditional one. FOR SHAME! angry
Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by Akiika: 5:13pm On Dec 28, 2012
They can even afford to run the wedding for a week...afterall STOLEN money abounds to waste!!!
Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by tpia5: 5:39pm On Dec 28, 2012
whatever works for them, the rest of us are only spectators.
Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by yurLink: 6:40pm On Dec 28, 2012
at the risk of sounding like i have a bias for yoruba people,i would say this is one of the major plus for SW People, where people have come to see what faith you practice as a personal relationship between you and God or whatever...i always say to religious bigots that if God wanted it so, he could have made only one religion, but he chose not to do so, so why do we continue to fight each other< just try to be good to one another and am sure you would have discovered the true essence of religion...ma salam
Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by Nobody: 7:49pm On Dec 28, 2012
OP that's what I did too ...... very exhausting tho embarassed
Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by outrage: 7:54pm On Dec 28, 2012
donroxy:

Wa salam waramatul llahi,
Thanks 4 d insight....... I was about to post the same thing!!!

Muslims can marry chaste christians/jews!!!!

The laws are still intact.....No Infringement in this case!!!!
Correction.. Its a muslim man- chaste christain/jew but not the other way around..
yur Link: at the risk of sounding like i have a bias for yoruba people,i would say this is one of the major plus for SW People, where people have come to see what faith you practice as a personal relationship between you and God or whatever...i always say to religious bigots that if God wanted it so, he could have made only one religion, but he chose not to do so, so why do we continue to fight each other< just try to be good to one another and am sure you would have discovered the true essence of religion...ma salam
He made only one religion..

"This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion" quran 5:3
Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by tohirah(f): 8:37pm On Dec 28, 2012
yur Link: at the risk of sounding like i have a bias for yoruba people,i would say this is one of the major plus for SW People, where people have come to see what faith you practice as a personal relationship between you and God or whatever...i always say to religious bigots that if God wanted it so, he could have made only one religion, but he chose not to do so, so why do we continue to fight each other< just try to be good to one another and am sure you would have discovered the true essence of religion...ma salam

Sorry to ask ooo;but are you a muslim?? I aint claiming to be better than you spiritually ooo. But the thing I see in the quran is just as outrage said:
outrage:

He made only one religion..

"This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion" quran 5:3

What distinguishes a believer frm a kafir is seeing the sings of God and either taking cognisance of it or you choose to toss in the thrash.
There is just one religion but man has created more religion frm among themselves and these are not institutions ordained by God.
Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by hasino21: 8:45pm On Dec 28, 2012
Dats rubish! No any islamic oriented person wil do or even support weddin. Som1 may bear a muslim name without knowin anyfin abt d religion n dats d hieght of ignorance. Wedding nikkah 2day, church wedding 2mao. Tufiakwa!!!
Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by Ymodulus: 12:01am On Dec 29, 2012
first of all it would be important knowing that the quran is contradicting on its beliefs i speak with facts. ok let us go

no 1.

To Marry or Not to Marry? The
Qur'an forbids believers to marry
idolatrous women [Sura 2:221],
and calls Christians idolaters and
unbelievers [9:28-33], but still
allows Muslims to marry Christian
women [5:5].

no2.
Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by Ymodulus: 12:18am On Dec 29, 2012
ANOTHER CONTRACDICTION
Question:
Can a Muslim man marry a
Christian or a Jew? Please explain. -
Sheikh Tahir

Answer:
It is permissible for a Muslim man
to marry a woman from the People
of the Book (i.e. the Jews and the
Christians), only if they fulfill
certain criteria. Allah (swt) says:
“And (Lawful in marriage are)
chaste women from among the
believers and chaste women from
among those who were given the
Scripture before you…”
[Surah Al-Maidah 5:5]

Based on the above verse, most of
the scholars say that a Muslim man
can marry any woman who is a Jew
or a Christian.

On the other hand,
if we read the Qur’an as a whole,
Allah (swt) also says that Muslims
are not allowed to marry Mushriks
i.e. people who associate partners
with Allah (swt).

“And do not marry Mushrik
(polytheistic) women until they
believe. And a believing slave
woman is better than a polytheist,
even though she might please you.”
[Surah Al-Baqarah 2:221]

Moreover, we find that the Jews
and the Christians too associate
partners with Allah (swt). Says
Allah (swt) in the Glorious Qur’an:
“They (Jews and the Christians)
have taken their scholars and
monks as lords besides Allah, and
(also) the Messiah, the son of
Mary. And they were not
commanded except to worship one
God; there is no deity except Him.
Exalted is He above whatever they
associate with Him.” [Surah At-
Tawbah 9:31]

The Christians, who claim that
Jesus (pbuh) is God as well as the
Son of God, insist on the supposed
divinity of Jesus (pbuh) and
worship him as such.
“They have certainly disbelieved
who say, “Allah is the Messiah, the
son of Mary” while the Messiah has
said, “O children of Israel, worship
Allah, my Lord and your Lord.”
Indeed he who associates other
with Allah – Allah has forbidden
him paradise and his refuge is the
fire. And there are not for the
wrongdoers any helper
From the above-mentioned verses
and many such verses of the
Qur'an, it is very clear that almost
all the present day Jews and the
Christians are committing shirk by
joining partners with Allah (swt).
Apparently, it appears to be a
“contradiction” in the Qur’an, since
at one place Allah (swt) forbids
Muslims from marrying Mushriks,
whereas at another place He allows
Muslim men to marry women from
the Jews and the Christians, most
of who as per the Qur'anic
narrations are Mushriks too i.e.
those who associate partners with
Allah (swt).

====
[b]
In another verse of the Glorious
Qur’an, Allah (swt) conciliates all
the above verses by informing us
that among the Jews and the
Christians there are also people
who are true believers i.e. they
believe in only one God and do not
associate partners with Allah (swt).
It says,
“Among them (Jews and the
Christians) are believers but most
of them are defiantly
disobedient.” [Surah Ali Imran
3:110] [b]

1 Like

Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by dvee2: 2:35am On Dec 29, 2012
Ymodulus: ANOTHER CONTRACDICTION
Question:
Can a Muslim man marry a
Sheikh Tahir

Answer:
Scripture before you…”

or a Christian.

On the other hand,
with Allah (swt).

Mary. And they were not

worship him as such.
wrongdoers any helper
Allah (swt).

====

It says,
of them are defiantly

Question:
[b] Can a Muslim man marry a
Sheikh Tahir

Answer:
Scripture before you…”

or a Christian.

On the other hand,
with Allah (swt).

Mary. And they were not

worship him as such.
wrongdoers any helper
Allah (swt).

====

It says,
of them are defiantly

Question:
[b] Can a Muslim man marry a
Sheikh Tahir

Answer:
Scripture before you…”

or a Christian.

On the other hand,
with Allah (swt).

Mary. And they were not

worship him as such.
wrongdoers any helper
Allah (swt).

====
[b]
It says,
of them are defiantly

Take this as another clear example of how some men wrongly interprete the word of God by infering and drawing wrong conclusion. You rightly quoted above that it is permisable for a muslim man to marry a christian or jew female. However, Allah in his infinite mercy says a muslim should not marry a Mushriks,Allah id not in any place equates Mushriks to be christians or jews. It is you that now defines Mushriks to be Christians or jews. you see clearly how we start to cause confusion. If Allah wants to call Christins or Jews Mushriks, he would have done that but no where in the quoran where Christian/Jews called Mushriks. Rather they are refered to as the people of the book etc.

2 Likes

Re: Your Thoughts On A Combined Wedding/Nikkai Ceremony by Ymodulus: 2:51am On Dec 29, 2012
dvee2: [color=#000099][/color]

Take this as another clear example of how some men wrongly interprete the word of God by infering and drawing wrong conclusion. You rightly quoted above that it is permisable for a muslim man to marry a christian or jew female. However, Allah in his infinite mercy says a muslim should not marry a Mushriks,Allah id not in any place equates Mushriks to be christians or jews. It is you that now defines Mushriks to be Christians or jews. you see clearly how we start to cause confusion. If Allah wants to call Christins or Jews Mushriks, he would have done that but no where in the quoran where Christian/Jews called Mushriks. Rather they are refered to as the people of the book etc.

Before I answer your specific
question, it would be appropriate
to first take a close look at the two
terms "Mushrik" and " Kaafir ", as
only after that can we say whether
the Christians, Jews or adherents of
any other religion fall in these
categories or not.
Let us first take the term " Kaafir ".
" Kaafir" in the Arabic language
means "rejecter". The term
" Kaafir", normally taken to be
synonymous with "non-Muslim" or
"non-believer", is quite different
from the two terms. A "non-
Muslim", obviously, is a person
who does not adhere to the Muslim
faith. Thus, all those who do not
ascribe to the Muslim faith are
"non-Muslims". A "non-believer" is
generally used for a person who
does not believe in God and the
Day of Judgment. "Kaafir ", on the
other hand, is a person who
knowingly rejects the truth. A
person may not believe in some
'truth' for a number of reasons.
For instance, he may not be fully
convinced of some aspect of that
'truth' or he may have some doubts
in his mind regarding that truth.
However, if all doubts are removed
from his mind and he becomes
fully convinced of that truth, yet
he persists in not accepting it or
persists in ascribing to a wrong
belief after becoming certain of its
incorrectness, he then becomes a
" Kaafir" and is no longer just a
"non-Muslim" or a "non-believer".
In other words, all those people
who persist in not accepting Islam
after being fully convinced that
Islam is the truth of the Almighty
or persist in ascribing to a false
belief after being convinced of its
incorrectness are " Kaafirs" or
rejecters of the truth. All others
for our purposes are "non-
Muslims" or "non-believers ".
This explanation, if considered
closely, should clarify the fact that
we cannot call anyone a "Kaafir "
unless we have absolute knowledge
of the reasons for his rejection of
faith (or Islam), which we do not
possess. Thus, for the purpose of
this world, we should not call
anyone a "Kaafir ". It is only God,
Who with His absolute knowledge
can declare someone a " Kaafir ".
No one besides God possesses the
knowledge that is essential to
declare someone a " Kaafir ".
Thus, we know on the basis of
God's declaration in the Qur'an
that the Jews and the Christians
(and those ascribing to other faiths)
during the time of the Prophet
(pbuh) refused to believe in the
Prophet (pbuh) even after being
fully convinced of his prophethood
and were, therefore, termed
" Kaafir" by the Almighty. As far as
the Jews and the Christians of later
times are concerned, we do not
have adequate knowledge of the
reasons for their rejection to term
them " Kaafir ". God, on the Day of
Judgment, shall give the decision
regarding these Jews and Christians.
Those, among them, who refused
to accept Islam and the
prophethood of Mohammed (pbuh)
, although they were fully
convinced of it being the truth,
shall stand in the category of
" Kaafirs" on the Day of Judgment.
The term "Mushrik", like the term
" Kaafir" has also been slightly
misused. It is not just ascribing to
a polytheistic belief that makes a
person a "Mushrik". According to
the Qur'an , "Mushrik" is one who
ascribes partners to God. and christiaan believs in trinity. 3 partners of god. god d fada, d son and holy spirit

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can Muslim Perform A Special Prayer/tahaajud On December 31st? / 10 Ideas For Ramadan At Your Workplace / The Beautiful Story Of Yusuf

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.