Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,027 members, 7,956,806 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 07:32 PM

Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal (12792 Views)

How A Medical Doctor Became A Pipeline Vandal / From Medicine To Finance: Looking For A Job / Subsea, Mud, Reservoir, Pipeline, Petroleum, Drilling Engineers & Supervisors Zone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by SELFWORTH: 10:49am On Dec 25, 2012
pendusky: wit less dan 90k, i manage my family well including my siblings. Doc shame on u.

Don't mind him . He is just greedy like many politicians out there.
Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by Ahmedie25(m): 10:57am On Dec 25, 2012
This is an act of ungratefulness,if you are not grateful you will remain poor forever,even if u are earning more than footballers

1 Like

Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by Nobody: 11:15am On Dec 25, 2012
Fool,idiot,bascard,rascal,ingrate,slowpoke,dog.how can u spend ur life reading medcine n jst waste it all because,he can nvr practice medcine again.u earn 90,000 plus oda part time jobs on d side wen der r so many unemployed graduate and u cant manage it.u wan live above ur means abi.barawo.u r a disgrace

1 Like

Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by Freiburger(m): 11:16am On Dec 25, 2012
Billyonaire: Oil Business is very lucrative.
hum
Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by Pain(m): 11:18am On Dec 25, 2012
Clinically Executed with Surgical Precision undecided
Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by wengerjay(m): 11:22am On Dec 25, 2012
University of Jos authority needs to verify whether this guy truely finished from the school.Perhabs he was once a medical student bt later got withdrawn.Most of the withdrawn medical medical students are frustrated and involved in nefarious activities,only few of them are able to cope with their failures.I am nt sayin Doctors are saints anyway bt the mentioned medical schl shld verify.I dont think a federal hosp like FMC gives out part time jobs as claimed by the 'doctor'.

4 Likes

Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by Pidivine: 11:24am On Dec 25, 2012
Greed is one of the reasons why Nigeria is till backward. #90,000 that is somebody's annual salary. Let us wait patiently for God; he will take care of us if only we trust in him.
Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by Freiburger(m): 11:25am On Dec 25, 2012
Pain: Clinically Executed with Surgical Precision undecided
grin grin
Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by KDULAR: 11:28am On Dec 25, 2012
In 2004, a friend of mine who earned 65k monthly got married, rented an apartment started a family and took care of his parents ( who were retired ) and his 2 siblings . All these he was able to accomplish with that salary within the year he was employed. The guy has no excuse on 90k at that time in Nigeria was like 157k now. That's well more than enough.

I think one of the reason that the medical profession is no more lucrative or paying is not because there are so many practitioners but Allowing Doctors in Government employment having their own hospitals or having more than one hospitals. It gives and undue advantage and more,it chokes up the opportunities for those who are not employed by government or any establishment.
Second is greed, I commented before that during my time till date, the first thing a fellow doctor asked another who just announced his or her getting a new job is " How much is the pay". As if that's all that matters. It actually corroborates the fact that a lot of doctors of our age and now are really in the profession not for the love but for the prestige, the money and not primarily the love of the job. May God help us

1 Like

Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by jaymichael(m): 11:33am On Dec 25, 2012
BBPREYEgarri:

Na wa
you drink ni ? you quoted the whole article just to comment "na wah"
Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by Chiemekaorizu(m): 11:42am On Dec 25, 2012
Sorry doc!& Merry xmas
Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by GeneralGaricks: 12:01pm On Dec 25, 2012
hrmkz: What goes around!

''He was caught last year and was warned. He had become so popular in the business''.... Story!?

Now... tell me that our men in uniform are not gaining from this business. Nah them dey introduce people to the business....

I have heard similar mouth watering deals before but they wont tell you that the source of the oil is vandalized pipelines.

Did i make sense
Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by GeneralGaricks: 12:11pm On Dec 25, 2012
dinggle:
O'yea? isn't stealing and diversion of the nation's wealth economic sabotage? what does it carry? A Pat on the back? how many governors, senators and ex-presidents are serving life sentences?
The little guys in the system are always the ones used as scapegoats. Dr oil was giving free medical services, the elite will steal and use the money to oppress the little guys in the society.

The law is made for the poor and weak. Nation's resources can be FAAC, crude oil, ghost salaries etc. All are nation's resources. Read below.

General Garicks:

''He was caught last year and was warned. He had become so popular in the business. He can even load up to 17tankers in one night''.... Story!?

Now... tell me that our men in uniform are not gaining from this business. How come it is only in december dem dey catch the guy No be them dey introduce people to the business....

I have heard similar mouth watering deals before but they wont tell you that the source of the oil is vandalized pipelines.

Did i make sense
Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by simdam500(m): 12:13pm On Dec 25, 2012
Lolz. grin. Evry thread on nairaland has now bcom jokes section. @ Op naa d man choice o, make una free him. Now make i com laugh too Looooooooool
Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by mu2sa2: 12:14pm On Dec 25, 2012
Aizebioje: Ok like was this guy married with kids when he was getting 90k nd the commission from the part time job?
I don't know but 90k as at 2004/2005 and even today seems ok for any single man living in NIGERIA!
He's just greedy and I say burn Him with any of the finished products of the Oil He Vandalized!
You dont know the power of greed for money. If you hanker after money, you will never be contented no matter how much you hav. This guy want money, so 90k and extra cant be okay for him, infact 1m naira monthly wont do him because he is a slave to money.Armed/pen robbery,oil bunkering, embezzlement of public money,419, cheating - at the root of all these is inordinate desire for money. If you allow urself to be infected with this desire there is no amount of money that u will be contented with.
Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by capsogiga(m): 12:24pm On Dec 25, 2012
Thank God this guy is not practising medicine full time. Otherwise he would have killed a lot of patients by cutting corners

1 Like

Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by Nobody: 12:24pm On Dec 25, 2012
Sorry doc. For been a failure

1 Like

Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by ziccoit: 12:25pm On Dec 25, 2012

But two years after his graduation, the 35-year-old doctor abandoned his stethoscope and chose life on the fast lane by joining pipeline vandalism cartel.

Odiba, who was recently arrested in Kogi State by the Police Special Task Force on Anti-Pipeline Vandalism, Force Headquarters, said he was attracted to the illegal business because it was lucrative.

He said, “I spent eight years studying Medicine and Surgery in UNIJOS and graduated in 2004 and later served in Bauchi State. A year later, I got a job at Delta State Oil Producing Areas Development Commission where I practised for six months. But I was later asked to leave.

“I moved to Kogi in 2006 and it was there that a friend introduced me to the business. I was making good money and later[b] got a part time job at Federal Medical Centre[/b]. I received N90,000 as monthly salary which was not enough for me. So, I stuck to the pipeline business.”

The embolden parts above show that this Dr Oil is a greedy fellow. They also point to the possibility that this man might not qualify as a doctor.

Why was he disengaged by the Delta State Oil Producing Areas Development Commission after practicing for six months? Perhaps those people found out he was really a fake doctor and he was asked to leave. The claim that he took up part time job with FMC as a doctor may not be true. FMC employs Medical Officer not on part time as far as I know only the consultant are employed on that basis.

We have heard of so many stories of fake doctors, especially from where this man comes from, that could only be proved fake via their training institution and reg. body.

1 Like

Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by Iaz93: 12:29pm On Dec 25, 2012
Oil Doctor... Lol! Morraphocka!
Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by Dodfather(m): 12:30pm On Dec 25, 2012
This guy is a disgrace to the noble profession .
what % of nigerians earned up to 90k back in 2004.
besides he was caught last xmas but didnt stop d buisness so he should face d penalties of his crime.

1 Like

Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by bakila: 12:30pm On Dec 25, 2012
fuke:

You guys are turning Nairaland to a huge joke.

A medic in pipeline vandalisation does not sober you.

And you are talking about who posts first.

You should be sorry for yourselves
The Doc is sick, notin to sober someone there, partime job fo1 90k without a family? The chap my be suffering from acute delusional aggrandisement and olivertwistomiasis.
Give him the CBN, HE WILL STILL STEAL FRM BUS CONDUCTORS.

1 Like

Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by bakila: 12:32pm On Dec 25, 2012
thirdeye: We all have stories, the ability to outgrow the past take on the present and project for future is a responsibility for everyone. There are people that have faced faarrr worse situations these guy is only playing on emotions which won't work for an average Nigerian. His story is just an average if not a more lenient life story. After becoming a M.D you can still condescend to this, you head needs to be examined.
Simple u no get three eyes for nothing.
Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by Habeebpain(m): 12:32pm On Dec 25, 2012
oooooooohhhh!!!!!! Na who be the mumu wey quote the whole story. Ahn Ahn!! Abegi jor.
*sings Fifty Cent's candy shop* I'll take you to the crude oil shop, I'll let you vandalise the pipe oh........
I'm the oil doctor.........
This is what we do
to get money
to feed ourselves
Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by Paulipopor: 12:44pm On Dec 25, 2012
Even doctors do shit!

Merry christmas people!

Sent from my samsung tablet...grin
Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by noblejayz(m): 1:04pm On Dec 25, 2012
its quite unfortunate he was caught, dis shows dat a life of crime is totally evil n nemesis bcoms d outcome. Hope he sticks to his resolutions.
Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by 80million1: 1:19pm On Dec 25, 2012
Shaw007: c dis one nOw

. . .dis stOrY *speechLess* dat One *speechLess*
evErythIng *speechLess*

. . .speechLess ur head!!angry

c hIn head,Like . . .

Like. . .

Like. . . coconUt undecided

shaw 07,ur left Yansh.
U be fake 007,ders only one 007 James Bond!
Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by cheleku(m): 1:27pm On Dec 25, 2012
Aizebioje: Ok like was this guy married with kids when he was getting 90k nd the commission from the part time job?
I don't know but 90k as at 2004/2005 and even today seems ok for any single man living in NIGERIA!
He's just greedy and I say burn Him with any of the finished products of the Oil He Vandalized!
Burn him? I can't believe the level of savagery in this country.
Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by mkoabiola: 1:38pm On Dec 25, 2012
He shud go n take care of d prisoners wen he get dere.is not a bad idea.
Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by Revolva(m): 1:54pm On Dec 25, 2012
8 years to study medicine and later became a pipeline vanderliser this dude is retarded hahaha
Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by Elueme: 3:07pm On Dec 25, 2012
wengerjay: University of Jos authority needs to verify whether this guy truely finished from the school.Perhabs he was once a medical student bt later got withdrawn.Most of the withdrawn medical medical students are frustrated and involved in nefarious activities,only few of them are able to cope with their failures.I am nt sayin Doctors are saints anyway bt the mentioned medical schl shld verify.I dont think a federal hosp like FMC gives out part time jobs as claimed by the 'doctor'.
You made some salient points. Or he may have gone into the profession with a wrong mentality.
Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by onyxo76(m): 3:36pm On Dec 25, 2012
Lagusta: What is wrong with this guy... Doesn't he know that Medicine is an art... In fact a noble art

I always tell medics in my thread, don't study medicine if it is only for the money, cos you may run into trouble one day....

Why didn't he write his primary fellowship exam and specialize in surgery or internal medicine, that way he'll earn a better salary... Registrars are paid btw 230-265,000...

Well, that's the end of his career anyway
my brother I have passed my primaries for more than 4 years now, to get placement for residency is very tough. It now who you know etc,however, he is still a disgrace to our proffesion.

1 Like

Re: Doctor Abandons Medicine To Be A Pipeline Vandal by ojoko1(m): 4:01pm On Dec 25, 2012
chineji: When Salifu Odiba gained admission to study Medicine and Surgery at University of Jos in 1996, his dream was to one day own his hospital.

But two years after his graduation, the 35-year-old doctor abandoned his stethoscope and chose life on the fast lane by joining pipeline vandalism cartel.

Odiba, who was recently arrested in Kogi State by the Police Special Task Force on Anti-Pipeline Vandalism, Force Headquarters, said he was attracted to the illegal business because it was lucrative.

He said, “I spent eight years studying Medicine and Surgery in UNIJOS and graduated in 2004 and later served in Bauchi State. A year later, I got a job at Delta State Oil Producing Areas Development Commission where I practised for six months. But I was later asked to leave.

“I moved to Kogi in 2006 and it was there that a friend introduced me to the business. I was making good money and later got a part time job at Federal Medical Centre. I received N90,000 as monthly salary which was not enough for me. So, I stuck to the pipeline business.”

The suspect added that he even had a part-time job at another hospital but the commission he received was too little.

Describing his modus operandi, the Kogi State indigene said he acted as a middleman for the vandals and buyers.

He said although he never destroyed a pipeline, he was actively involved in the business and soon became popular.

He said he was usually paid commission by pipeline vandals and buyers after he had sold the products.

“People started calling me ‘oil doctor’ because I always had ready buyers for all kinds of petroleum products. Oil business is very lucrative especially in Kogi State where as many as 17 trucks of petroleum products could be siphoned and sold in one night,” he said.

Odiba lamented that the medical profession was no longer as prestigious as it was due to the “large number” of people practising it.

“People don’t visit hospitals like before. These days, many Nigerians prefer to take self medication,” he said.

Narrating how he was arrested, the suspect said he was contacted by a source at Lokoja, the state capital, who claimed to have large quantities of oil in a barge.

He said he was on his way to finalise the deal when policemen arrested him.

Odiba, who vowed not to return to crime if released, burst into tears when narrating the hardship he had suffered in the past.

He said although N90, 000 was not a poor salary, the pressures of having to take care of his siblings fuelled his greed.

He said, “I have four siblings and my parents are retired. I am the first son and through this business, I have been able to sponsor two of my siblings through university and they have graduated. I don’t spend the money I make on myself. I have a fiancée but I can’t even afford a wedding now.

“I don’t want my siblings to suffer and I did this for them. Crime for me was due to a quest for survival but I promise never to go back to it. I spent last year’s Christmas in police custody after being arrested in Kaduna. This year again, I’m spending my Christmas in detention.

“I’m tired of this life of crime and I promise never to go back to it again. My dream is still to own a hospital and even while doing the oil business; I rendered free medical services to people.”

Odiba, who was arrested and detained for a similar offence last year, said he was released and warned when investigation showed that he only played a minor role.

The Officer in charge of the task force, Friday Ibadin said Odiba’s case was proof that not only miscreants were into the illegitimate business.

He said, “The suspect was arrested at Lokoja.  Ajaokuta specifically has become a haven for these criminals. The business is very lucrative because a tanker of crude oil could be bought illegally for as low as N800, 000 and resold at N5m during scarcity.

“This is economic sabotage and it carries a life sentence. Members of the public are hereby warned to stay away from the nation’s pipelines.”

http://www.punchng.com/metro/doctor-abandons-medicine-becomes-pipeline-vandal/

Ok

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Knows How To Become A Surveyor In Nigeria? / Ugandan Govt. To Start Paying Civil Servants Daily / Employees Without An Exit Plan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.