Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,285 members, 7,818,964 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:06 AM

Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike (8952 Views)

Stephen Keshi Return Again To Lead Nigeria In Remaining Afcon Qualifiers. / Emenike, Nsofor, Ameobi Return For Super-Eagles / Stephen Keshi Resigns As Eagles Coach (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by Livermeka: 9:02pm On Dec 25, 2012
http://ng.supersport.mobi/football/super-eagles/news/121225/QA_with_Stephen_Keshi

Q&A with Stephen Keshi
by Sammy Wejinya 25 December 2012, 20:50

Head coach of the Nigeria national team, Stephen Keshi has been under intense scrutiny in recent days.

Keshi stroked the fire of controversy on Friday, December 21 when he released a provisional list of 32 players for the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations in South Africa.

Football faithful across the nation raised eyebrows as stellar performers like Kalu Uche, Ozase Odemwingie and Obafemi Martins failed to make the cut.

Odemwingie predictably did not take his exclusion lying down and went on an astonishing tirade via the social networking site, twitter to launch a scathing attack on Keshi, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) and Super Eagles captain, Joseph Yobo.

Millwall Manager, Kenny Jackett, and his Newcastle counterpart, Alan Pardew have made known their intentions of preventing the duo of Danny Shittu and Shola Ameobi from playing for Nigeria at the 2013 Afcon.

Keshi took out the time to discuss the issues with supersport.com and several startling revelations were made.

Read here in full :

http://ng.supersport.mobi/football/super-eagles/news/121225/QA_with_Stephen_Keshi
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by semid4lyfe(m): 9:42pm On Dec 25, 2012
The FULL

supersport.com; It must have been a roller coaster week for you, how have you dealt with the pressure?

Stephen Keshi:There is no pressure. This is my job and anyone who cannot deal with pressure is not ready for this. I’m fine with this. All is well.

supersport.com
; You left out Obafemi Martins, Kalu Uche and Osaze Odemwingie out of your provisional 32-man squad for the 2013 Afcon. Why?

Stephen Keshi: There are a lot of good players in Nigeria. We cannot invite everybody to play all at once. If we do that, it will be a jamboree situation. We don’t want that.

supersport.com; But these players have been in fine fettle for their various clubs this term and many expected them to make the list.

Stephen Keshi
: The exclusion of these players does not mean they are not good players. I have also heard people say I have a personal grudge against these players. That is not true.

It only means that they are not needed at this time. They are still in my plans (for the future). There is no problem at all. It just means that the 32 players selected are the ones that are needed for now.

supersport.com
; It was a shock when Bright Dike of MLS club, Portland Timbers made the squad. He has only been capped once at international level and has never played a competitive match for Nigeria. Why was he selected?

Stephen Keshi: Well, the truth is the list I announced is a provisional list. Not everyone in that list will be on the plane to South Africa.

Yes Dike has one cap but I was really impressed with his fitness level when we played against Venezuela in Miami. His dedication level is impressive. These are the kind of players that I need.

I am not saying he will make the list or will be dropped eventually. When the camp opens in Portugal, we will see who is who.

supersport.com
; Many are questioning the rationale behind your decision to include Rabiu Ibrahim who has yet to make a single start for Celtic in either the Scottish Premier League (SPL) or the UEFA Champions’ League this season.

Stephen Keshi: I watched Rabiu play in a Scottish Cup tie for Celtic recently and was impressed. He is a creative midfielder and one of the areas where we come up short (in the team) is the creative midfield position.

I invited him to see, at close quarters, what he can.

supersport.com
; Alan Pardew says Shola Ameobi will not play for the Super Eagles at next year’s Afcon even if is selected in the final squad. Pardew says you know the reasons why Ameobi won’t play. What are the reasons?

Stephen Keshi: I have never spoken to Alan Pardew in my life. I have only seen him on television so I don’t know what reasons he is talking about.

supersport.com
; Have you spoken to Shola about the situation?

Stephen Keshi
: No, I have not. Not yet...but I will eventually do that and get to the root of the matter.

supersport.com
; The Federation (NFF) has insisted that Ameobi will be compelled to go to the competition if he is eventually selected in the final squad. Are you on the same page as the Federation?

Stephen Keshi
: Of course, I am on the same page as my Federation. Alan Pardew knows he cannot stop Shola from going to the Cup of Nations because the competition is recognized by Fifa.

I don’t know what is in his (Pardew’s) head or what he is thinking about.

supersport.com
; The Millwall Manager, Kenny Jackett has also vowed to stop Danny Shittu from going to the Afcon if he is selected....

Stephen Keshi
: I don’t know why the English clubs are trying to stop their players from going to the Cup of Nations. Do they feel these black boys don’t have the right to play for their countries? I don’t know.....but any player who is selected to play will play at the Cup of Nations because we reserve the right to do that.

However, I would not want to cause any problems for any player over something like this because that is his career and eventually, he will have to return to his country.

But the clubs also have to understand how important this competition is and that it is sanctioned by Fifa.

supersport.com; When will the invited overseas-based players be expected to arrive the camp in Portugal?

Stephen Keshi
: From January 5, 2013. We want to begin preparations early and we will want to get all our players in camp on that date.

supersport.com; Were you shocked at the reaction of Osaze Odemwingie following his exclusion from the 32-man provisional squad for the 2013 Afcon?

Stephen Keshi: To be honest, I will prefer to talk about players in my list and not those that were not invited. I am not interested in what Osaze is saying or not saying at the moment. It’s none of my business.

supersport.com
; Nigeria will face Ethiopia, Burkina Faso and the champions, Zambia in the group stages of the competition next year. What should Nigerians expect from the team?

Stephen Keshi; We will give our best in the competition. We ask Nigerians for their prayers and I want to use this medium to wish Nigerians a very merry Christmas.

2 Likes

Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by Afam4eva(m): 9:53pm On Dec 25, 2012
He did not invite Kalu Uche?
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by YoursGEJ(m): 9:57pm On Dec 25, 2012
hold this spot for me. I'm coming
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by goldfish80(m): 9:57pm On Dec 25, 2012
Been a long day,Good 9th people zzzzzz
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by Onyeasi(m): 9:59pm On Dec 25, 2012
This Keshi is not a coach. The game of football is not a ground of politics. How can he invite someone who has not even made a start for his club? I will not ßε̲̣ surprise if Nigeria did not make the group stage.
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by sharpshap(m): 10:00pm On Dec 25, 2012
Welldone Keshi. Drop anbody who iss not relevant at the moment.
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by Nobody: 10:00pm On Dec 25, 2012
Keshi appears to be intelligent.
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by illuminutty: 10:07pm On Dec 25, 2012
who is Stephen Keshi?
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by BabaO2: 10:14pm On Dec 25, 2012
afam4eva: He did not invite Kalu Uche?
But that guy is too docile for my liking realy. Nigeria is an average football playing nation if we are relying on the potential of the likes of ike ushes.
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by crisycent: 10:14pm On Dec 25, 2012
I wonder how much money these non-performing and relatively unknown players have paid this mugu called Keshi. No Kali uche, no osaze.....who do we have?
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by dukenestor(m): 10:14pm On Dec 25, 2012
All we d fans want is the Afcon Trophy and not who was invited or not.Best of luck super chickens,sori we killed many of ur type 2day bein X'mas

2 Likes

Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by Afam4eva(m): 10:16pm On Dec 25, 2012
Baba_O:
But that guy is too docile for my liking realy. Nigeria is an average football playing nation if we are relying on the potential of the likes of ike ushes.
Most of our players are average anyways, so they're kinda same same. just that some have a little bit of advantage than others.
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by oduneja: 10:22pm On Dec 25, 2012
illuminutty :
who is Stephen Keshi?
A popular palm wine tapper..

3 Likes

Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by ojeniyi1: 10:24pm On Dec 25, 2012
kudos to Keshi, i always say it that we are bless with too many talented players in this nation.
Any player that is not relevant to our national team should be dropped immediately and allow fresh and hungry legs to showcase themselves.
As for those two coaches, no be their fault, they always look at blacks as if we are soulless.

1 Like

Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by manuch(m): 10:27pm On Dec 25, 2012
No player is bigger than Club or country why all the fuss about Osaze. its not as if he is a world class player that we cant do without.
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by bright007(f): 10:28pm On Dec 25, 2012
Only time will tell the future..I trust Nigerians,they already have reason to hang you should in case you don't do well come january.
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by toprealman: 10:28pm On Dec 25, 2012
Prof Corruption: Keshi appears to be intelligent.
He appears to be intelligent.....NOT!!!!
While I am not happy with some of the guys he dropped considering the people he used as replacement, too much talking and explanation makes him look like a weakling.
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by Limaoscar: 10:33pm On Dec 25, 2012
i figure the Big Boss is on a national team re-building mission......may be we should give him a chance

1 Like

Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by zanga420: 10:35pm On Dec 25, 2012
crisycent: I wonder how much money these non-performing and relatively unknown players have paid this mugu called Keshi. No Kali uche, no osaze.....who do we have?
U, are not a nigerian n cant we make point without being abusive

1 Like

Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by Nobody: 10:37pm On Dec 25, 2012
the BIG BOSS talking
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by oludaniels: 10:39pm On Dec 25, 2012
Does this guy know that maturity matters and experience brings confidence so he has no reason not to allow osaze,martins and uche. I feel something is fishy about this keshi guy. Anyway nobody got much expectations from the fowls..all should have equal chances based on trial matches(friendlies). Keshi is acting very unproffessional and egotically scared. Nigeria i dey hail una o. #ManUtd entertains me more.
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by Nobody: 10:43pm On Dec 25, 2012
toprealman: He appears to be intelligent.....NOT!!!!
While I am not happy with some of the guys he dropped considering the people he used as replacement, too much talking and explanation makes him look like a weakling.

No. Actually, he did not talk much. He gave concise and straightforward answers to questions and avoided talking on what would have brewed controversy.

Weakling? No. Appropriate inference from that interview: Keshi is in charge.
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by gtrust: 10:53pm On Dec 25, 2012
I thought Keshi was supposed to invite many more players than he needs and then drop the few that did not impress or came out as surplus
We will see!
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by Kaxmytex(m): 11:08pm On Dec 25, 2012
C'mmon keshi.....u can do it....in keshi i trust
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by Compliance(m): 11:15pm On Dec 25, 2012
Keshi appears to be intelligent. but sincerely, he is a mediocre.
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by j4jj: 11:17pm On Dec 25, 2012
Yeah! Dats y his called d boss! He takes charge!
This so caled unserious professionals players has failed us in d past! We need fresh legs dat are dedicated not those dat wil b frolickin wit babes durin d competition

1 Like

Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by j4jj: 11:17pm On Dec 25, 2012
Yeah! Dats y his called d boss! He takes charge!
This so caled unserious professionals players has failed us in d past! We need fresh legs dat are dedicated not those dat wil b frolickin around durin d competition
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by clerkent(m): 11:17pm On Dec 25, 2012
Where is messi in d list.or van persie
Re: Q&A With Stephen Keshi, His Views On Alan Pardew, Ameobi, Danny Shittu, Dike by j4jj: 11:20pm On Dec 25, 2012
clerkent: Where is messi in d list.or van persie

Clerkent u again? Wen will wise up from behavin like a kid? Askin foolish questions

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Women's Nations Cup Qualifier: Nigeria VS Ivory Coast At 4pm Today / Nigeria Vs Ghana - History Favours The Eagles / World Cup: Australia Vs Peru 0 - 2 (Full Time)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.