Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,512 members, 7,826,942 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:58 PM

University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis (6362 Views)

Protest in Uniport Teaching Hospital today due to the death of a student / Photo Of The Deplorable State Of The UNIPORT Teaching Hospital / Benue State University Teaching Hospital In Pictures. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by standtimesnews: 4:20pm On Dec 26, 2012
By Mudiaga Affe, Calabar

University of Calabar Teaching Hospital has commenced kidney dialysis.

Chief Medical Director of UCTH, Dr. Thomas Agan, said this during an interactive session with reporters in Calabar, Cross River State, on Sunday.

Agan said, “There is no need for people to go to Port Harcourt or any other teaching hospital for kidney dialysis.”

He said the management was working towards the final relocation of the hospital to its permanent site.

The CMD said, “We have set a March 2013 target to finally complete movement of all departments to the permanent site, and this was contained in our 2013 appropriation.

“What is left is not much. If the budget is fully implemented we should be able to complete the movement on schedule.”

He commended the Minister of Health, Dr. Onyebuchi Chukwu, for supporting the hospital.

He also praised groups, individuals and philanthropic organisations for their donations.

UCTH commences kidney dialyses
Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by Samsantos9: 6:21pm On Dec 26, 2012
hmm impressive
*scratches head and walks out of the thread*
Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by sofadj(m): 6:22pm On Dec 26, 2012
But na wa o, common dialysis

2 Likes

Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by ziccoit: 6:23pm On Dec 26, 2012
Kidney dialysis or transplant? Seriously there are some articles of news that are supposed not to be made public.

Nigeria is a joke. Is this an achievement for a government in this century? Dialysis!

I need to read this article many times possible.

5 Likes

Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by tampa1871: 6:30pm On Dec 26, 2012
It's a shame, our priorities are backward, unbelievable that they are counting this as an achievement. I imagine how much they would say this cost.
Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by Mospring(m): 6:37pm On Dec 26, 2012
ziccoit: Kidney dialysis or transplant? Seriously there are some articles of news that are supposed not to be made public.

Nigeria is a joke. Is this an achievement for a government in this century? Dialysis!

its a landmark achievement!

1 Like

Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by macIB(m): 6:44pm On Dec 26, 2012
What is landmark in dialysis, in a country that produces over 2million barrels of crude oil daily! Some news are not supposed to be published abeg!!
Haba!!!!

1 Like

Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by jude33084(m): 6:44pm On Dec 26, 2012
sofa-dj:
But na wa o, common dialysis

AŋԂ PDP politicians will use it to campaign as if its a new technology cheesy This means Calabar is still far behind grin
Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by jude33084(m): 6:46pm On Dec 26, 2012
Mospring: its a landmark achievement!

Too much Beer from 24th celebration grin
Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:53pm On Dec 26, 2012
Another news for a cheap campaign for some politicians
Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by Hardfact: 6:58pm On Dec 26, 2012
Kind of things we love to hear about 'gaint' of Africa.
Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by specialguest(f): 6:59pm On Dec 26, 2012
A welcomed development, but it is long overdue.. It beats my imagination why a Teaching hospital which has been in existence for so many years is only just having a dialysis unit now... Meanwhile thousands of Nigerians are suffering from chronic kidney disease, it makes me wonder what kind of treatment those patients have been receiving.

For those who dont know the importance of dialysis let me give you a brief lecture. A dialysis becomes necessary when the kidneys loose their function i.e the kidney is no longer able to filter waste, toxins and excess water from the body in such case the creatine level of the patient goes up and the water retention causes swelling in the body especially around the ankles. kidney dialysis becomes necessary to filter such wastes and excess fluid from the body thereby reducing the "pains" associated with chronic kidney disease.

The importance of kidney dialysis to kidney failure patients cannot be over emphasized so i am wondering why it took the teaching hospital so long to have a dialysis unit. Could it be that the health of the residents in calabar is not a priority to the government as much as the calabar carnival is?

3 Likes

Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by eruditescholar1(m): 6:59pm On Dec 26, 2012
When we should be celebrating kidney transplant and its likes, federal TEACHING HOSPITAL like UCTH is still dreaming of dialysis come march 2013 when private hospitals like living word has been doing it. I dnt believe we have failed as a nation because i can see a governor in the west who if revolution sweeps this nation, i believe can manage this country owing to how he has made his state to have laws as seen in England. I believe in him and i owe him my vote if he comes out for presidency in 2015.
Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by Nobody: 7:00pm On Dec 26, 2012
ziccoit: Kidney dialysis or transplant? Seriously there are some articles of news that are supposed not to be made public.

That's my thought exactly ! There is nothing to celebrate about this news. While some Federal Teaching hospitals are celebrating successful kidney transplants , Calabar is celebrating common renal dialysis !
Many Federal Medical Centers can even boast of doing haemodialysis !
Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by Iceslizer(f): 7:32pm On Dec 26, 2012
What a shame.
Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by toluene12: 8:03pm On Dec 26, 2012
abeg moderator, save us the ridicule by scrutinizing what you send to front page from the health section. At a time when health care givers are talking of the possibility of renal dialysis and transplant being incoporated into the NHIS scheme.
Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by bigpastor(m): 8:19pm On Dec 26, 2012
Unfortunate!!!!!!!
I know a friend who travelled to the UK from Nigeria on account of Chronic Kidney Disease for more than 15yrs now.
She lives with the ambulatory Dialysis Machine.
If she were in Naija/ Calabar she would have since joined her ancestors.
Are we celebrating this stationary dialysis device.
What a pity!!!
Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by Nobody: 8:33pm On Dec 26, 2012
Common dialysis that d world has been carrying out since the 1950's.it makes me wonder wat those multitude of doctors graduating everyyear do in our hospitals abi na only injection and panaldo them sabi prescribe.naija government i hail thee
Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by Nobody: 8:40pm On Dec 26, 2012
tampa1871: It's a shame, our priorities are backward, unbelievable that they are counting this as an achievement. I imagine how much they would say this cost.
wtf dialysis wey b like pure water here in oauthc
Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by pastormustwacc: 9:26pm On Dec 26, 2012
We do it at lasuth too (Lagos State University Teaching Hospital), in fact, i work in that unit. The most important thing is that the cost of dialysis should be brought to grassroot level, it is too damn expensive. Immagine some people having to do 3 sessions of dialysis in a single freaking week, we are looking at around 100k/week more or less depending on the dialysis center we are talking about.
Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by ciphoenix: 9:28pm On Dec 26, 2012
macIB: What is landmark in dialysis, in a country that produces over 2million barrels of crude oil daily! Some news are not supposed to be published abeg!!
Haba!!!!
nothing my brother. Dialysis that is done in state hospitals. I find this thread questionable. Anybody to confirm the story?
Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by dominique(f): 9:52pm On Dec 26, 2012
Wait, are we talking about a teaching hospital or health centre? Where other hospitals are celebrating medical breakthroughs, calabar teaching hospital is just launching kidney dialysis. Assuming the report had said the hospital was giving free dialysis, it would have been wonderful frontpage news. This is just too embarassing for words, abeg make una cover ur face.
Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by ciphoenix: 9:55pm On Dec 26, 2012
dominique: Wait, are we talking about a teaching hospital or health centre? Where other hospitals are celebrating medical breakthroughs, calabar teaching hospital is just launching kidney dialysis. Assuming the report had said the hospital was giving free dialysis, it would have been wonderful frontpage news. This is just too embarassing for words, abeg make una cover ur face.
thats why i doubt this. Seriously, it'll be shameful were it to be true
Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by Nobody: 9:55pm On Dec 26, 2012

you haven't seen or heard anything yet, come to delta state and hear of 'ultra modern bore hole'.

This is the nigeria we live in.

1 Like

Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by nagoma(m): 10:24pm On Dec 26, 2012
Dialysis is done at home these days. UniCal Teaching Hospital should have been transplanting hearts, kidneys and livers for decades by now.
Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by Nobody: 10:50pm On Dec 26, 2012
Lmao @ "ultra-modern borehole". grin

Seriously though, its just a sad reminder of how backward Nigeria is.
Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by Nobody: 10:54pm On Dec 26, 2012
My Alma mater. Republic of Malabor was my home for 5yrs. Once a Malabite, always a malabite.
Re: University Of Calabar Teaching Hospital Commences Kidney Dialysis by samsilo(m): 10:55pm On Dec 26, 2012
Those saying Calabar teaching hospital should have been doing dialysis before now do not have a clue about the cost of corruption as it affects healthcare in Nigeria. I used to work there and the callous way money was stolen by the management and officials of the federal ministry/ministers of health was unbelievable. I know the current CMD from when I worked there and he was a down to earth and sincere man , that is why this (meager to your eyes ) achievement has occurred.
If you know the amount of ghost workers/doctors salaries , inflation of contracts etc which goes to fund a lavish lifestyle for hospital /ministry of health official you would weep for the people who die in these places.
This disgusting situation was what caused m after witnessing too many avoidable deaths to live and now practice medicine in a country where peoples lives are valued no matter their status , colour or class

(1) (2) (Reply)

Possibility Of Pregnancy / Grow Taller Pills With Only Possible With Nigerian Harbal Pills? / FG Plans Foreign Training For Select Doctors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.