Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,846 members, 7,810,260 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:18 AM

Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 (19315 Views)

"Phone Numbers May Disappear In 2016" / Tecno Partners With Blackberry On BBM For Android Application / Browse With Your Blackberry On Pc As Modem (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by SisiKill1: 5:11pm On Dec 27, 2012
Each year, 24/7 Wall St. identifies 10 important American brands that we predict will disappear within a year. This year’s list reflects the brutally competitive nature of certain industries and the reason why companies cannot afford to fall behind in efficiency, innovation or financing.

Research In Motion
Research In Motion (NASDAQ: RIMM) may be the best example of an innovative company that lost its edge. As a result, it will disappear in 2013. Five years ago, RIM was the only smartphone company of any size, and it had almost the entire corporate market. But it made a fatal mistake in failing to adapt its technology for consumer use. In June 2007, Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) launched the iPhone, and the rest is history

RIM once owned the smartphone market. Its BlackBerry products were used largely by businesses. It is hardly worth repeating the story of how RIM was late to the consumer market, where it has been pounded relentlessly by Apple and an army of Google Android phones from manufacturers as diverse as Taiwan’s HTC, South Korea’s Samsung and Motorola in the U.S.

The pace at which the company fell apart once the process began was even more extraordinary than its rise. Revenue and net income jumped from $6 billion and $1.3 billion, respectively, in fiscal 2008 to $20 billion and $3.4 billion in fiscal 2011.

In just the past year, however, the company has warned twice that it would miss its earnings forecast, replaced its long-time CEO, warned a third time about its first-quarter loss, and disclosed plans for layoffs of thousands of employees.

The company’s board said it was reviewing “strategic options,” which would include a sale. The best measurement of the swiftness of RIM’s fall is the change of its share of the U.S. smartphone market. Research group NPD recently reported that RIM’s U.S. market share was 44% in 2009 but only 10% last year. Data from research group Comscore shows that share has fallen further this year.

The net effect on RIM’s stock price has been devastating, taking it down from $144 four years ago to $11 recently. RIM cannot survive as a standalone operation in the face of these trends. The Wall Street Journal recently reported “outright buyers could include Asian handset makers like HTC Corp or online retailer Amazon.com Inc. which has jumped into the tablet business.”

Read more: Ten Brands That Will Disappear In 2013 - 24/7 Wall St.

- - - - -

Who wants to join me in a one minute moment of silence for RIM? It came, it saw. . .and got conquered. lipsrsealed

Hopefully this will finally put an end to all the yeye Blackberry vs this phone threads common on this section. Reality is when we are talking phones. . .Please, please BB users should stop embarrasing themselves by bringing Blackberry into the mix.
grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by dasdexter(m): 5:19pm On Dec 27, 2012
sure tyn bro, dat brand has bin crap to me, ios,android,window p8 even symbian all d way *diggin grave of bb*

2 Likes

Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by SisiKill1: 5:54pm On Dec 27, 2012
dasdexter: sure tyn bro, dat brand has bin crap to me, ios,android,window p8 even symbian all d way *diggin grave of bb*

Hahahaha! Who is in charge of wake keeping? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by Francheezy(m): 6:08pm On Dec 27, 2012
nd wh0 iz incharge 0f d f0od....
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by Nobody: 6:20pm On Dec 27, 2012
don't mean a thing - apple was once on a list such as this
hopefully bb10 will turn the tide - make or break time

5 Likes

Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by PlantainBoy(m): 7:33pm On Dec 27, 2012
I hope this prediction comes true.
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by Nobody: 7:35pm On Dec 27, 2012
oyb: don't mean a thing - apple was once on a list such as this

Hmmn, the circumstances are different. RIM can not survive alone.
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by ektbear: 7:35pm On Dec 27, 2012
Sisi_Kill:
[b][color=#990000]Who wants to join me in a one minute moment of silence for RIM? It came, it saw. . .and got conquered. lipsrsealed

cheesy grin
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by memski(m): 7:35pm On Dec 27, 2012
y is htc not among?
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by ektbear: 7:37pm On Dec 27, 2012
Why doesn't Blackberry team up with Microsoft?
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by gramci: 7:38pm On Dec 27, 2012
Another thread for vultures cry

1 Like

Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by SisiKill1: 7:39pm On Dec 27, 2012
memski: y is htc not among?

You didn't read the place where they said RIM's best hope is an outright buy out from HTC?

So obviously HTC is doing well.

1 Like

Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by mazinaija: 7:42pm On Dec 27, 2012
Blackberry remains the best

3 Likes

Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by SisiKill1: 7:42pm On Dec 27, 2012
oyb: don't mean a thing - apple was once on a list such as this
Is this the same BB10 offering things already in use by other phones? That BB10?

Hehehehehe
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by huninaija(f): 7:43pm On Dec 27, 2012
Whether it becomes extinct or not the blackberry will remain one of my favorite phones, the love i have for it cannot be comprehended altho slowly and slyly iv been cheating on it with my iphone 4s... grin

Will miss you my beauriful BB... Iphone tinzz 2013 cool

4 Likes

Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by gen2briz(m): 7:43pm On Dec 27, 2012
I beg se BB still dey market ni? Na question i just ask o

2 Likes

Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by seedord247(m): 7:44pm On Dec 27, 2012
mazinaija: Blackberry remains the best

in nigeria grin
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by Nobody: 7:50pm On Dec 27, 2012
I rather use a nokia java phone than use a bb...jst sold my bold5 last week...Bleep bb battery

1 Like

Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by Nobody: 7:51pm On Dec 27, 2012
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by Nobody: 7:52pm On Dec 27, 2012
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by Nobody: 7:54pm On Dec 27, 2012
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by TeenageMoney(m): 7:57pm On Dec 27, 2012
Didnt bother reading the shit...

Too lenghty...
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by GudluckIBB(m): 7:59pm On Dec 27, 2012
I'm surrently using BB but I still prefer iphone.
One thing I hate so much about Apple is the fact that When You buy their product, before u get home, u will hear that another one has been manufactureust buy as INFERIOR. This makes me want to burn down Apple office next time I find myself in US.

1 Like

Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by Troll: 8:07pm On Dec 27, 2012
[size=17pt] This Is My Beloved Bebe In Whom I'm Well Pleased tongue
HATERS BACK-OFF!!! angry [/size]

2 Likes

Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by Aringon(m): 8:08pm On Dec 27, 2012
Why r people always speculating rubbish? How many people do we have in the world using iphone, android phones, blackberry etc? Must all phones be running on android or must all phones be designed in the mode of iphones? This is arrant nonsense and I will will stick with blackberry and same goes to billion of other users

4 Likes

Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by sammyke(m): 8:12pm On Dec 27, 2012
Samsung s3 all d way. android rocks

1 Like

Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by SELFWORTH: 8:13pm On Dec 27, 2012
[quote author=Troll]] This Is My Beloved Bebe In Whom I'm Well Pleased tongue

HATERS BACK-OFF!!! >:/quote]

This looks like the one made in china grin

1 Like

Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by 1forall: 8:15pm On Dec 27, 2012
Yes RIM is in BIG trouble. The general industry talk was that MS was going to acquire RIM or some part of it but MS teamed up with Nokia instead. RIM itself had bandied the idea of splitting into 2 diff entities, hardware and software (OS & BBM), and selling one off.

Whatever the case, the future isn't looking good for RIM right now. And even though BB products are still popular in Nig now for reasons we all know, it's only a matter of time before the effects of RIMs troubles hit the Nig market too from the look of things.

The same thing happened when the west suffered an economic recession a few years ago and some Nig govt official (wish I remember who) foolishly said Nig was insulated from the effects of that recession. Barely a year later, the stock market crashed and the banking industry suffered serious losses. If only our administrators had responded to the warning signs across the ocean.

In the same way, RIMs probs are warning signs for all the 'I cant live without my BB' people, make una begin prepare to die oh lol (kidding) grin
or at least get it into your head that you would need a life after the BB is gone.

1 Like

Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by markus1133: 8:16pm On Dec 27, 2012
Blackberry needs android
Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by Brisingr(m): 8:21pm On Dec 27, 2012
Why people Dey one make blackberry die you one employ the people Wey RIM go fire ? Who go give us unlimited Download ? I get one Android phone but blackberry unlimited plan Don save my money.even BB bashers using other OS rely heavily on the cheap airtel BB plan and through some tweaks the Mtn plan also.

1 Like

Re: Blackberry On List Of 10 Brands Likely To Disappear In 2013 by sushieater: 8:23pm On Dec 27, 2012
Aringon: Why r people always speculating rubbish? How many people do we have in the world using iphone, android phones, blackberry etc? Must all phones be running on android or must all phones be designed in the mode of iphones? This is arrant nonsense and I will will stick with blackberry and same goes to billion of other users
oga no be 'billion of other users' na 79 million according to RIM..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

4 Clear Signs Your Phone Was Hacked / FG Again Extends NIN Deadline By 8 Weeks / Official Updated PA Google Apps For All Rom's [4.4.x]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.