Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,311 members, 7,954,247 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 03:20 PM

Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? - Investment (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? (12321 Views)

If You An Investor In Fixed Deposit, Bond Or Shares, You Would Love This!!! / Is There Any Long Term Investment Or Shares I Can Buy 4 50k / Buying Land Or Shares Which One Is More Lucrative? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by coputa(m): 10:52pm On Mar 02, 2013
The nigerian stock exchange is dead i doubt if real buying and selling of shares is taking place there. What is happening there is mere window dressing. Investors had lost confindence in the system..please go for real estate because its value appreciate on a daily basis and you are sure of reaping bountifull from it.

1 Like

Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by hispy99(m): 10:56pm On Mar 02, 2013
Crownvilla: Why not eat your cake and have it? I beleive mortgages are the next big money earner in Nigeria. How many Nigerians do you think, would jump at the chance of owning their own homes via a mortgage?

This market is an untapped goldmine!!!!!!!

Back to your question, why not invest in real estate via the Stock Exchange. Right now there is only one listed mortgage firm on the NSE, namely, Union Homes. Effectively, if you buy shares in Union Homes you are killing two birds with a stone, investing in real estate and shares in one fell swoop. grin grin grin

LBIC recently did a PP, I suspect their shares will head for the moon whenever they are listed. A few other mortgage firms are rumoured to be close to a PP or full listing on the NSE.

Really? So why hasn't the price of Union Homes reached the sun or mars yet?
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by Cargoed: 3:36pm On Mar 06, 2013
This topic is really a hard topic, however it is only sophisticated investors that can explain it easily to the man on the street.

Let me choose a side, but i like the two; so i will take shares(aka stock market)

Now the only thing you hear about real estate investors is i bought this land in 1999 for N500K and sold in 2007 for N10mil. They never talk about all the other costs including c/o even the money to clear the bush or fencing the place, what of settling the locals e.t.c. Now this is if they actually bought a genuine plot as their first and only investment. In other words please don't forget all the cost, including visit to sites e.t.c to obtain the final genuine plot that gave you the return.

Stock investors on the other hand only pay for their stock and do nothing else but fold their hands and wait, that is why when the market crash/stumble they are the first to shout i have lost ohhh....it means they don't understand the vehicle or they just wanted to speculate.

You can turn a stock investment into a serious goldmine just by re-investing your dividends it does not matter whether u bought GTB at N25 and now it is N6 as far as the stock keeps paying their dividend and the company never folds(spread it) you will quickly say 5yrs to 15yrs find out that you have made the same killing as the realestate guy if not much more with far less stress than you can imagine.

In real-estate if you get a funny surveyor or lawyer and they don't do the right searches to confirm your Plot you could easily be facing the same music as someone who picked a funny stockbroker.

Now i will advice that you do your due diligence whichever you choose. But the law of compounding works far better in shares than in realestate.

I will ask realestate investors to find out how much a plot of land in Maiduguri GRA was 10yrs ago and what the price is now. I mean its tangible you can see it.

And i will ask stock investors to ask the richest man in Africa and the Richest man in the world how they pulled it of with stocks and shares.

As much as i can remember the markets have had a bad day how come they are still the richest, its all about your strategy.

Another reason why an investor cannot do without shares compared to realestate is this say you need N5mill 2morow you can call your broker/Login sell your shares voila you got your 5mil now tell me if you can sell your plot of land worth 5mil in 5days. Ha ha ha

1 Like

Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by stockbull(m): 7:44pm On Mar 06, 2013
real estate is good but it require more skills to be successful if you want to make it real business. Stock investing is better if you know how to play it and if you are not greedy
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by jamace(m): 11:54am On Mar 11, 2013
This is a highly debatable topic.

First, I will acknowledge that both are good. I will also add that you must be knowledgeable in order to make it in both investments.

Now for which is better, it is obvious that shares will out-perform land in the long run. Below is my reason.

Let me assume that I have N500,000+ as initial capital. At N0.50k per share, I will buy 1,000,000 units. From my observation on stocks, every stock must clock at least N3.00k in every stock bull cycle, which is averagely about 4 years. So, in 4 years, my N500,000+ will have given me N3,000,000 (at least).Then comes the next 4 years of bear season/ economic recession.

Within this period, I may buy land or purchase treasury bills or even fixed deposit, to increase my capital during the recession. In fact, let's assume I kept the N3,000,000 dormant in my account during the period of the recession. At the end of this recces ion makes 8 years (4 years bull period + 4 years bear/economic recession) of my investment.

Now at the next bull season ( or 9th year), I will reinvest my N3,000,000 in another penny stock which is at nominal value. So, with my N3,000,000 I should be able to buy at least 5,000,000 units of shares (after removing brokers charges)at N0.50k. So, in the next 4 years (9th to 12th year)lets assume my stock hit minimum of N3.00k in the full cycle, this will give me about N15,000,000. That is to say, with N500,000 initial capital, I have earned N15,000,000 in 12 years. Can you beat that?

Again, I will continue my investment. At the end of 12 years, another recession beckons. So, I will have to keep my capital dormant for another 4 years, which will lead to 16 years.In the beginning of next bull season (17th year), I will purchase at least 25,000,000 units of N0.50k stock. Once stock clocks N3.00k, I will sell and this will give me about N75,000,000 in 20 years. Have you ever thought about this investment sense? I don't think so, not even myself but this thought came to me because of this issue at stake.

So, fellow investors, you can see that N500,000 can yield N75,000,000 in 20 years period of stock investment. Believe it or not, stock is the easiest avenue to wealth BUT you must have the knowledge. If I should continue my investment using my present capital of N75,000,000 in stocks for the next say 10 years (which will lead me to 30 years of investment), I don't need to tell you what whooping amount I would have made from a N500,000 initial capital.

In conclusion, my dear colleagues in the investment world, what I have expatiated above is an eye opener and a great knowledge to those who love making money. And I must tell you, STOCK INVESTMENT IS ONE OF THE GREATEST INVESTMENTS OF ALL TIMES.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by feelamong(m): 1:07pm On Mar 11, 2013
Why would anyone want to compare Land and shares.. these are two different asset cloasses which any investor should invest in well.

If you pick good stocks and invest in a good land at a choice location then both will definitely do well!

I have invested in stocks that have done poorly just as i have incvested in a land that didnt make anuy money for me in the time period of 7years. Infact I had to sell at a loss cos an erosion was threatening the area and i did not have the money to control it.

I always encourage people to just invest in good stocks and lands..
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by question(m): 2:30pm On Mar 11, 2013
Shares or Real Estate.....no investment is foolproof. they are all risky.

Real Estate: depends on what kind of real estate, the location and condition.
Shares: depends on what company you buy, the management team of the company, the prevailing economic situation (boom or doom).

Meanwhile, I know a residential area in PH which gets flooded every rainy season because some other landlord has built his house and blocked the free flow of rainwater.
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by AmeLonRo(m): 6:13pm On Mar 11, 2013
Both have their own place in terms of benefits. Both are very good. Shares can easily be converted to cash. Real estate takes time to easily convert to cash.
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by manie(m): 12:22pm On Mar 20, 2013
Ame Lon Ro: Both have their own place in terms of benefits. Both are very good. Shares can easily be converted to cash. Real estate takes time to easily convert to cash.

Most shrewd investors have shares, real estate and cash in their portfolio. I have both shares and real estate, but 60% of my net-worth are currently in shares

1 Like

Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Apr 18, 2013
Is anyone disputing real estate as the mother, father and king of all investment

A property owner made me a property mgt lease offer today with at least 50-60% ROI after the 1st year. Hoping I can raise necessary funds for this once in a while investment opportunty.

Anyone interested?
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by dotcomnamename: 6:08am On Apr 21, 2013
Cargoed: This topic is really a hard topic, however it is only sophisticated investors that can explain it easily to the man on the street.

Let me choose a side, but i like the two; so i will take shares(aka stock market)

Now the only thing you hear about real estate investors is i bought this land in 1999 for N500K and sold in 2007 for N10mil. They never talk about all the other costs including c/o even the money to clear the bush or fencing the place, what of settling the locals e.t.c. Now this is if they actually bought a genuine plot as their first and only investment. In other words please don't forget all the cost, including visit to sites e.t.c to obtain the final genuine plot that gave you the return.

Stock investors on the other hand only pay for their stock and do nothing else but fold their hands and wait, that is why when the market crash/stumble they are the first to shout i have lost ohhh....it means they don't understand the vehicle or they just wanted to speculate.

You can turn a stock investment into a serious goldmine just by re-investing your dividends it does not matter whether u bought GTB at N25 and now it is N6 as far as the stock keeps paying their dividend and the company never folds(spread it) you will quickly say 5yrs to 15yrs find out that you have made the same killing as the realestate guy if not much more with far less stress than you can imagine.

In real-estate if you get a funny surveyor or lawyer and they don't do the right searches to confirm your Plot you could easily be facing the same music as someone who picked a funny stockbroker.

Now i will advice that you do your due diligence whichever you choose. But the law of compounding works far better in shares than in realestate.

I will ask realestate investors to find out how much a plot of land in Maiduguri GRA was 10yrs ago and what the price is now. I mean its tangible you can see it.

And i will ask stock investors to ask the richest man in Africa and the Richest man in the world how they pulled it of with stocks and shares.

As much as i can remember the markets have had a bad day how come they are still the richest, its all about your strategy.

Another reason why an investor cannot do without shares compared to realestate is this say you need N5mill 2morow you can call your broker/Login sell your shares voila you got your 5mil now tell me if you can sell your plot of land worth 5mil in 5days. Ha ha ha

Stock investment is temporal my friend.... be wise !!!
You have eye already, why con dey use glass? grin
Comon man.. life investment we're talking about grin
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by ucdeboy011(m): 12:15pm On Oct 02, 2014
real estate is best if u re interested call on 07036845662 for more info
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by ogedanny: 3:44pm On Oct 02, 2014
both
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by manie(m): 7:43pm On Sep 13, 2015
100k invested in shares of Nestle in 2000 is now worth 8.5 million, this does not include the dividends earned in the last 15 years
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by janykute: 6:29am On Sep 14, 2015
manie:
100k invested in shares of Nestle in 2000 is not worth 8.5 million, this does not include the dividends earned in the last 15 years
I guess you meant now instead of not?
Re: Real Estate Or Shares: Which Is Better? by manie(m): 6:46am On Sep 14, 2015
janykute:

I guess you meant now instead of not?
Thanks, I have made the correction.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Billion Coin(TBC); Scam Or Real? / 4bedroom Architectural Duplex Design ( Flat Roof ) / B nge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.