Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,244 members, 7,825,941 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:01 AM

An Online Igbo Dictionary - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / An Online Igbo Dictionary (3009 Views)

Free Online Igbo Dictionary / Let Me Be Ur Igbo Dictionary. / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Online Igbo Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 7:49pm On Dec 29, 2012
There's an Igbo dictionary online that has over 5000 words: http://mkpuruokwu.org

It also has translations for different dialects.

Just in case anybody needs it.

Animals: http://www.igbo911.com/lexi/xanimal.php
Re: An Online Igbo Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 8:39pm On Dec 29, 2012
I'm glad this dictionary at least makes an attempt to denote word origins. I visit the site occasionally, but mostly to see how different the vocabulary is between my Ngwa and that of the online dictionary. Sometimes I'll also visit the site to see if a word for something already exists.
Re: An Online Igbo Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 8:42pm On Dec 29, 2012
And doesn't use English loan words for words that already exist.

1 Like

Re: An Online Igbo Dictionary by odumchi: 10:03am On Dec 30, 2012
How do you use it? I keep on typing in words but it keeps on saying "no results found".
Re: An Online Igbo Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 1:41pm On Dec 30, 2012
The one that works the best is English-Igbo. Maybe the words you searched are not there.
Re: An Online Igbo Dictionary by achi4u(m): 8:32pm On Dec 30, 2012
ezeagu: The one that works the best is English-Igbo. Maybe the words you searched are not there.
gringringrin
Re: An Online Igbo Dictionary by Eifeh(m): 8:43pm On Dec 30, 2012
Is not working
Re: An Online Igbo Dictionary by odumchi: 9:30pm On Dec 30, 2012
ezeagu: The one that works the best is English-Igbo. Maybe the words you searched are not there.

I tried searching common words like "come" and "water" but no results. The only things that I got results for were "Igbo" and "Igbo language".
Re: An Online Igbo Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 9:33pm On Dec 30, 2012
Do you have a link?
Re: An Online Igbo Dictionary by odumchi: 9:36pm On Dec 30, 2012
Re: An Online Igbo Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 9:36pm On Dec 30, 2012
Try using no capitals.
Re: An Online Igbo Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 10:48pm On Dec 30, 2012
Are you on mobile or a computer? I know in my experience, the site doesn't work well with mobile and that no matter how I tried to search words, it would always return "no results found". So, if you're attempting to access it via mobile then that may be the issue.

If you're not accessing it via mobile but rather on a computer, then may I ask what browser you are using? I have IE (Internet Explorer), Google Chrome and FireFox on my laptop, and the site worked fine with all three.
Re: An Online Igbo Dictionary by odumchi: 11:16pm On Dec 30, 2012
ChinenyeN: Are you on mobile or a computer? I know in my experience, the site doesn't work well with mobile and that no matter how I tried to search words, it would always return "no results found". So, if you're attempting to access it via mobile then that may be the issue.

If you're not accessing it via mobile but rather on a computer, then may I ask what browser you are using? I have IE (Internet Explorer), Google Chrome and FireFox on my laptop, and the site worked fine with all three.

Thanks. All this while, I've been on a mobile device but I've just tried it from a computer and it worked. That's pretty strange, though.

It's a nice dictionary, by the way. I like how it gives translations across multiple dialects.
Re: An Online Igbo Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 1:07am On Dec 31, 2012
I think the Owere dialect represents most of the south, Afikpo northwest, Onicha north, and obviously West Igbo, from what I've seen.
Re: An Online Igbo Dictionary by odumchi: 1:19am On Dec 31, 2012
Aside from Ohafia, it lacks Cross River dialects. Anyway, whoever made it tried.
Re: An Online Igbo Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 6:08pm On Dec 31, 2012
The dictionary isn't all that comprehensive when it comes to denoting origin, but at least it tries. I know a lot of "Igbo" dictionaries that used a slur of terminology from different regions, without denoting origin, and it's just one of my annoyances.

I do have to say though, to my surprise, I saw maybe two or three entries that denoted origin from Ngwa.
Re: An Online Igbo Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 6:26pm On Dec 31, 2012
ChinenyeN: The dictionary isn't all that comprehensive when it comes to denoting origin, but at least it tries. I know a lot of "Igbo" dictionaries that used a slur of terminology from different regions, without denoting origin, and it's just one of my annoyances.

I do have to say though, to my surprise, I saw maybe two or three entries that denoted origin from Ngwa.

Plus it actually makes sense showing what the tone is. I don't understand how other "dictionary" creators fail to grasp that 90% of an Igbo word is based on the tone.

Another good source for Igbo words (animals):

http://www.igbo911.com/lexi/xanimal.php

1 Like

Re: An Online Igbo Dictionary by OrlandoMCO: 7:18pm On Jan 09, 2013
I find www.igbo911.com resource very useful. one of the many cute things about it is that I am able to contribute to the dictionary project. I can also request addition of a word @ http://www.igbo911.com/lexi/usersec/guestinsert.html it seem to take from a few hour to a couple days to pick up my entry from a search.
Re: An Online Igbo Dictionary by spirytsist: 5:28am On Aug 11, 2019
i also like that igbo911 has audio
Re: An Online Igbo Dictionary by AdaIgbotique: 12:42am On Oct 05, 2019
www.igbotique.com also has audio
It an audio igbo-english dictionary built on top of a text-to-speech synthesizer. Every word is tone marked so that that it can be pronounced properly.

See words like
https://www.igbotique.com/say/ákwá
vs
https://www.igbotique.com/say/ákwà

It also supports multiple dialects

(1) (Reply)

Origin And Development Of Igala Land (submission By The Igala Association In U.s / UNIPORT Student Exposes Her Breast In The Name Of Culture. / Jewish Rabbinical Court Ruled That Igbos Are Descendants Of Ancient Israelites.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.