Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:18 AM

Should Children Be Given Allowance? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should Children Be Given Allowance? (1017 Views)

Would You Allow Your Teenage Children Be Intimate Under The Same Roof As You? / At What Age Should Children Be Left To Sleep In Separate Rooms? / What Should Children Do If They Catch Either Parent Cheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should Children Be Given Allowance? by engrtee(f): 11:07pm On Dec 29, 2012
I grew up witout recievin any allowance. I think it spoils d child? What d u tink?
Re: Should Children Be Given Allowance? by k2039: 11:09pm On Dec 29, 2012
[color=soyouquotedme]More reason why some steal.

Allowance should be given, but it should be in moderation
[/color]
Re: Should Children Be Given Allowance? by Iaz93: 11:23pm On Dec 29, 2012
k2039: [color=soyouquotedme]More reason why some steal.

Allowance should be given, but it should be in moderation
[/color]
GBAM!!!

1 Like

Re: Should Children Be Given Allowance? by greatgod2012(f): 2:24am On Dec 30, 2012
At what age do you people think d allwance should start, because, for me, i stand to be corrected, im yet to be giving them any allowance, hoping to start giving allowance when they start attending secondary schools, but now, not yet. I buy and store every provisions they might need at home, so that there wll not be need for any allowance.
May Gd help us all.
Re: Should Children Be Given Allowance? by slimyem: 3:29am On Dec 30, 2012
When you think they are mature and responsible enough to know the value of money(when they are no more CHILDREN).
Re: Should Children Be Given Allowance? by Nobody: 5:11am On Dec 30, 2012
I believe one of the best ways to train a child to be financially responsible is to give them allowances as a form of reward for tasks completed.

One Should also encourage them to save towards a set goal which will serve as motivation for them. You can also make it easier for them by buying them a piggy bank where they keep their money and also teach them how to make financial records.

Encourage them to buy play Items that are of more benefit like Camera's, musical instruments like drum sets, flutes, guitars that helps then discover talents and also give them a channel for artistic expression, Instead of time wasting electronics that has no educational benefit like Sony Playstations, Game boys and the rest.

At least that is the way I would train my children and I wish I had that kind of training as a child.

1 Like

Re: Should Children Be Given Allowance? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:57am On Dec 30, 2012
the allowance should be small amounts.

age 5-10 (enough for them 2 buy chocolates).

age 11-18 (enough for basic fastfood ,drinks,etc and sometimes for rides ,other stuffs)

age 18-21 (a bit more)

age 21 (STOP)
Re: Should Children Be Given Allowance? by CrazyMan(m): 10:42am On Dec 30, 2012
greatgod2012: At what age do you people think d allwance should start, because, for me, i stand to be corrected, im yet to be giving them any allowance, hoping to start giving allowance when they start attending secondary schools, but now, not yet. I buy and store every provisions they might need at home, so that there wll not be need for any allowance.
May Gd help us all.
Allowance is necessary for a child, but you have to be very careful with the way you go about it, so it doesn't end up ruining that child.

A child between the ages of 1-5 in my opinion doesn't need any allowance.

From 6 years when the child should be in primary 1, 2 or 3, it would be advisable to give him or her food stuffs to take to school and not necessarily cash.

The truth is that as a parent, it would be very difficult to monitor the kind of edible substances your child uses the money you give to him/her to buy in school.

So in order to prevent any awful omen from be falling you as a result of a strange food, ice cream, sweet..etc your child purchased and ate, prevention would be the wisest route to take.

From 8-11 now your child would have rounded up his primary education, and be getting ready to go into the secondary school.

This is where allowance comes in but you have to be careful the amount of cash you allocate to them, and be sure to know how they spend it...knowing how a child spends money is something every parent should take note of. And if you turn a blind eye on this particular area, then you're likely to get disappointed with them in the furture. (That's not your portion though)

As they mature, and graduate into teenagers and prospective jambitoes this is where you have to become more caring, more patient, more understanding and highly observant.

Most teens choose the immoral path not because they wanted to, but because of parental negligence, peer pressure and greed.

Give your kids the best love, care and attention...and teach them how to be contented with what they have, and I can assure you that you would forever be proud of them.
Re: Should Children Be Given Allowance? by djeezy(m): 10:59am On Dec 30, 2012
Allowance should be given lest the child would steal. Starting with the mum, stealing from her purse. The allowance shouldn't be too much else he'll lavish it...Let it be proportionate to his/her age and current status. E.g giving a 10yr old child 50k allowance is outrageous.
Re: Should Children Be Given Allowance? by Callotti: 7:46am On Dec 31, 2012
Anything you do for a child has the potentials of forstering undue indulgence.
Instead of focussing on just the allowance. . .teaching about the responsibility that comes with such a priviledge is paromount! kiss

(1) (Reply)

Part 1: Christians, God Never Intended Sexual Intimacy For Procreation Alone. / Hugging Or Shaking Ones Father, Which Is More Preferable? / Sad Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.