Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,549 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:06 AM

Nairaland Mathematics Clinic - Education (220) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Mathematics Clinic (478968 Views)

Mathematics Clinic / 2015 Cowbell Mathematics Champion, Akinkuowo Honoured By School. / Lead City University Clinic Welcomes First Ever Baby Since 10 Years Of Opening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) ... (284) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Hadampson(m): 6:11pm On Jan 12, 2016
Mathemagician1:

Here you go.
tank u sir. pls whc rule did u use
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Hadampson(m): 6:12pm On Jan 12, 2016
Mathemagician1:

Here you go.
tank u sir. pls whc rule did u use
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by agentofchange1(m): 6:48pm On Jan 12, 2016
Mathematicians, philosophers, and enthusiasts alike have their own views about mathematics. Below are the 50 mathematics quotes collected from the time of Euclid up to 21st century. Let’s see what the masters of the field have to say about mathematics. Don’t forget to type on the comment box which of the quotes is/are your favorite/s. 1. Mathematics is a game played according to certain rules with meaningless marks on paper. — David Hilbert 2. Mathematics is concerned only with the enumeration and comparison of relations. — Carl Friedrich Gauss 3. Mathematics is the door and key to the sciences. — Roger Bacon 4. Mathematics is the science of what is clear by itself. — Carl Jacobi 5. Mathematics – the unshaken Foundation of Sciences, and the plentiful Fountain of Advantage to human affairs. — Isaac Barrow 6. Mathematics is as much an aspect of culture as it is a collection of algorithms. — Carl Boyer 7. Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.– Henri Poincaré 8. Mathematics is one of the essential emanations of the human spirit — a think to be valued in and for itself like art or poetry. 9. Mathematics is not a careful march down a well-cleared highway, but a journey into a strange wilderness, where the explorers often get lost. Rigour should be a signal to the historian that the maps have been made, and the real explorers have gone elsewhere. – – W. S. A 10. Mathematics, as much as music or any other art, is one of the means by which we rise to a complete self-consciousness. The significance of mathematics resides precisely in the fact that it is an art; by informing us of the nature of our own minds it informs us of much that depends on our minds.– John William Navin Sullivan 11. Mathematics is the supreme judge; from its decisions there is no appeal.–Tobias Dantzig 12. Mathematics is no more computation than typing is literature.– John Allen Paulos 13. Mathematics is the language with which God wrote the universe. — Galileo 14. Mathematics is the handwriting on the human consciousness of the very spirit of life itself. — Claude Bragdon 15. Mathematics is the queen of science. — Carl Friedrich Gauss 16. Mathematics may be defined as the subject in which we never know what we are talking about, nor whether what we are saying is true. — Bertrand Russell 17. Mathematics consists in proving the most obvious thing in the least obvious way. — George Polya 18. Mathematics is like love; a simple idea, but it can get complicated. 19. Mathematics is like checkers in being suitable for the young, not too difficult, amusing, and without peril to the state. — Plato 20. Mathematics is not a deductive science – that’s a cliché. When you try to prove a theorem, you don’t just list the hypotheses, and then start to reason. What you do is trial and error, experimentation, guesswork. — Paul Halmos 21. Mathematics is written for mathematicians. — Copernicus 22. Mathematics is a great motivator for all humans.. Because its career starts with zero and it never end (infinity). 23. Mathematics is not a book confined within a cover and bound between brazen clasps, whose contents it needs only patience to ransack; it is not a mine, whose treasures may take long to reduce into possession, but which fill only a limited number of veins and lodes; it is not a soil, whose fertility can be exhausted by the yield of successive harvests; it is not a continent or an ocean, whose area can be mapped out and its contour defined: it is limitless as that space which it finds too narrow for its aspirations; its possibilities are as infinite as the worlds which are forever crowding in and multiplying upon the astronomer’s gaze. — J. Sylvester 24. Mathematics is, I believe, the chief source of the belief in eternal and exact truth, as well as a sensible intelligible world. — Bertrand Russell 25. Mathematics is the tool specially suited for dealing with abstract concepts of any kind and there is no limit to its power in this field . — P. Dirac. 26. Mathematics is not only real, but it is the only reality. — Martin Gardner 27. Mathematics is often erroneously referred to as the science of common sense. — Newman & Kasner 28. Mathematics is the cheapest science. Unlike physics or chemistry, it does not require any expensive equipment. All one needs for mathematics is a pencil and paper. 29. Mathematics Is an Edifice, Not a Toolbox 30. Mathematics is an independent world created out of pure intelligence. — William Woods Worth 31. Mathematics is, as it were, a sensuous logic, and relates to philosophy as do the arts, music, and plastic art to poetry. — K. Shegel 32. Mathematics is a more powerful instrument of knowledge than any other that has been bequeathed to us by human agency. — Descartes 33. Mathematics is the science which uses easy words for hard ideas. — Edward Kasner and James R. Newman 34. Mathematics is a body of knowledge, but it contains no truths. — Morris Kline 35. Mathematics is the science which draws necessary conclusions. — Benjamin Pierce 36. Mathematics is an art of human understanding. — William Thurston 37, Mathematics, in the common lay view, is a static discipline based on formulas …But outside the public view, mathematics continues to grow at a rapid rate…the guide to this growth is not calculation and formulas, but an open ended search for pattern. –– Lynn A. Steen 38. Mathematics, even in its present and most abstract state, is not detached from life. It is just the ideal handling of the problems of life.– Cassius Jackson Keyser 39. Mathematics is the science of definiteness, the necessary vocabulary of those who know. — W. J. White 40. Mathematics serves as a handmaiden for the explanation of the quantitative situations in other subjects, such as economics. – H. F. Fehr 41. Mathematics compares the most diverse phenomena and discovers the secret analogies that unite them. — Joseph Fourier 42. Mathematics is on the artistic side a creation of new rhythms, orders, designs, harmonies, and on the knowledge side, is a systematic study of various rhythms, orders.– William L. Schaaf 43. Mathematics is pure language – the language of science. It is unique among languages in its ability to provide precise expression for every thought or concept that can be formulated in its terms. — A Adler. 44. But mathematics is the sister, as well as the servant, of the arts and is touched by the same madness and genius. — Marston Morse 45. Mathematics is concerned with “all possible worlds. — D.M. Armstrong 46. . . mathematics is not just another language . . . it is a language plus logic. Mathematics is a tool for reasoning. — Richard Feynman 47. Mathematics is not a contemplative but a creative subject; no one can draw much consolation from it when he has lost the power or the desire to create; and that is apt to happen to a mathematician rather soon. It is a pity, but in that case he does not matter a great deal anyhow, and it would be silly to bother about him. — G.H. Hardy 48. Mathematics, however, is, as it were, its own explanation; this, although it may seem hard to accept, is nevertheless true, for the recognition that a fact is so is the cause upon which we base the proof. — Girolamo Cardano 49. Mathematics makes a nice distinction between the usually synonymous terms “elementary” and “simple”, with “elementary” taken to mean that not very much mathematical knowledge is needed to read the work and “simple” to mean that not very much mathematical ability is needed to understand it. – Julian Havel 50. Mathematics is a hard thing to love. It has the unfortunate habit, like a rude dog, of turning its most unfavourable side towards you when you first make contact with it. — David Whiteland

mathandmultimedia.com/2013/02/23/50-mathematics-quotes/
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Ayo199(m): 12:59am On Jan 13, 2016
pls i need answer to dis as a mater of urgency given A= acoswt + bsinwt, show that A * dA/dt= w(a * b)
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by ElDeeVee(m): 8:48pm On Jan 16, 2016
Someone help with Hankel Transform of 2
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by oluwasammy(m): 10:11pm On Jan 16, 2016
Pls i need solution to dis qustn? It goes dose................ The third, sixth and seven terms of a geometric progression (common ratio is neither 0 nor 1) are in arithmetric progression. Prove that the sum of the first three is equal to the fourth term.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 6:52am On Jan 17, 2016
OK guyz,
I'm having problems solving this maths on Indices & Log. I would really appreciate it if a good mathematician here can help me with the breakdown/detail solution.
Evaluate this
Q1. (-8 )^-2/3
Solve for x

Q2. 8^x =0.25
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by profmathsland(m): 1:24pm On Jan 17, 2016
sweetboiy:
OK guyz,
I'm having problems solving this maths on Indices & Log. I would really appreciate it if a good mathematician here can help me with the breakdown/detail solution.
Evaluate this
Q1. (-8 )^-2/3
Solve for x

Q2. 8^x =0.23

For question 1,the answer is 1/4.For question 2,it is log(23/100)base 8.
Soln is as follows:1.(-cool^2/3=1/(-cool^2/3=1/(cube root of -cool^2=1/(-2)^2=1/4
2.8^x=0.23. 8^x=23/100. log(23/100)base8=8.
x=log23-log100(all base cool
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by profmathsland(m): 1:24pm On Jan 17, 2016
sweetboiy:
OK guyz,
Evaluate this
Q1. (-8 )^-2/3
Solve for x

Q2. 8^x =0.23

Soln is as follows:1.(-cool^2/3=1/(-cool^2/3=1/(cube root of -cool^2=1/(-2)^2=1/4

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jan 17, 2016
profmathsland:

please guy i made a typo error on that number 2. it is actually 8^x=0.25 and not 8^x=0.23 thanks.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Ajibade105(m): 6:59pm On Jan 18, 2016
Please I will be glad if anyone has a solution to this problem.

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Madmathecian(m): 1:32pm On Jan 21, 2016
Evaluate sin(cos−^1 1/4 + tan−^1 2).
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by celenas(m): 4:08pm On Jan 21, 2016
Good evening fellows. Please I need the solution to this problem

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by thankyouJesus(m): 8:06am On Jan 22, 2016
Use laws of indices, represent 3^x with an alphabet and solve.
celenas:
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by ayokunlei(m): 8:27am On Jan 22, 2016
hello, pls help solve this Laplace Inverse: 7/(3s-5)^3. Agentofchange1, madmathecian, thankyoujesus, profmathsland
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jerome263: 11:24am On Jan 22, 2016
thankyouJesus:
Use laws of indices, represent 3^x with an alphabet and solve.

can't snap here but I think d answer is x = -8/3
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by jerome263: 11:26am On Jan 22, 2016
celenas:

answer shud b x= -8/3
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Ajibade105(m): 4:04pm On Jan 22, 2016
ayokunlei:
hello, pls help solve this Laplace Inverse: 7/(3s-5)^3. Agentofchange1, madmathecian, thankyoujesus, profmathsland

I stand to be corrected tho!

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by ayokunlei(m): 6:25pm On Jan 22, 2016
Ajibade105:

I stand to be corrected tho!
thanks Boss
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Ayomide002: 5:53pm On Jan 24, 2016
Gurus in the house,has amnyone encountered a question like this.....
Linear programming.....
Minimize p=4x+3y........minimization,then our objective row will contain all positives,how do I solve this using simplex plzzz.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by profmathsland(m): 9:51pm On Jan 24, 2016
sweetboiy:
please guy i made a typo error on that number 2. it is actually 8^x=0.25 and not 8^x=0.23 thanks.

Alright 8^x=0.25
8^x=25/100
8^x=1/4
(2^3)^x=2^-2
3x=-2
x=-2/3
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by fawaz050(m): 10:58pm On Jan 24, 2016
Pls can someone solve e^x^2x-1.5=360 P.S ^ means raise to power
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Laplacian(m): 10:19am On Jan 25, 2016
[quote author=agentofchange1 post=41911781]Mathematicians, philosophers, and enthusiasts Let’s see what the masters of the field have to
say about mathematics. Don’t forget to type on
the comment box which of the quotes is/are
your favorite/s.
1. Mathematics is a game played according to
certain rules with meaningless marks on paper.
— David Hilbert
2. Mathematics is concerned only with the
enumeration and comparison of relations. — Carl
Friedrich Gauss
3. Mathematics is the door and key to the
sciences. — Roger Bacon
4. Mathematics is the science of what is clear
by itself. — Carl Jacobi
5. Mathematics – the unshaken Foundation of
Sciences, and the plentiful Fountain of
Advantage to human affairs. — Isaac Barrow
6. Mathematics is as much an aspect of culture
as it is a collection of algorithms. — Carl Boyer
7. Mathematics is the art of giving the same
name to different things.– Henri Poincaré
8. Mathematics is one of the essential
emanations of the human spirit — a think to be
valued in and for itself like art or poetry.
9. Mathematics is not a careful march down a
well-cleared highway, but a journey into a
strange wilderness, where the explorers often get
lost. Rigour should be a signal to the historian
that the maps have been made, and the real
explorers have gone elsewhere. – – W. S. A
10. Mathematics, as much as music or any other
art, is one of the means by which we rise to a
complete self-consciousness. The significance of
mathematics resides precisely in the fact that it
is an art; by informing us of the nature of our
own minds it informs us of much that depends
on our minds.– John William Navin Sullivan
11. Mathematics is the supreme judge; from its
decisions there is no appeal.–Tobias Dantzig
12. Mathematics is no more computation than
typing is literature.– John Allen Paulos
13. Mathematics is the language with which God
wrote the universe. — Galileo
14. Mathematics is the handwriting on the
human consciousness of the very spirit of life
itself. — Claude Bragdon
15. Mathematics is the queen of science. — Carl
Friedrich Gauss
16. Mathematics may be defined as the subject
in which we never know what we are talking
about, nor whether what we are saying is true. —
Bertrand Russell
17. Mathematics consists in proving the most
obvious thing in the least obvious way. — George
Polya
18. Mathematics is like love; a simple idea, but it
can get complicated.
19. Mathematics is like checkers in being
suitable for the young, not too difficult, amusing,
and without peril to the state. — Plato
20. Mathematics is not a deductive science –
that’s a cliché. When you try to prove a theorem,
you don’t just list the hypotheses, and then start
to reason. What you do is trial and error,
experimentation, guesswork. — Paul Halmos
21. Mathematics is written for mathematicians.
— Copernicus
22. Mathematics is a great motivator for all
humans.. Because its career starts with zero and
it never end (infinity).
23. Mathematics is not a book confined within a
cover and bound between brazen clasps, whose
contents it needs only patience to ransack; it is
not a mine, whose treasures may take long to
reduce into possession, but which fill only a
limited number of veins and lodes; it is not a
soil, whose fertility can be exhausted by the
yield of successive harvests; it is not a continent
or an ocean, whose area can be mapped out and
its contour defined: it is limitless as that space
which it finds too narrow for its aspirations; its
possibilities are as infinite as the worlds which
are forever crowding in and multiplying upon the
astronomer’s gaze. — J. Sylvester
24. Mathematics is, I believe, the chief source of
the belief in eternal and exact truth, as well as a
sensible intelligible world. — Bertrand Russell
25. Mathematics is the tool specially suited for
dealing with abstract concepts of any kind and
there is no limit to its power in this field . — P.
Dirac.
26. Mathematics is not only real, but it is the
only reality. — Martin Gardner
27. Mathematics is often erroneously referred to
as the science of common sense. — Newman &
Kasner
28. Mathematics is the cheapest science. Unlike
physics or chemistry, it does not require any
expensive equipment. All one needs for
mathematics is a pencil and paper.
29. Mathematics Is an Edifice, Not a Toolbox
30. Mathematics is an independent world
created out of pure intelligence. — William
Woods Worth
31. Mathematics is, as it were, a sensuous logic,
and relates to philosophy as do the arts, music,
and plastic art to poetry. — K. Shegel
32. Mathematics is a more powerful instrument
of knowledge than any other that has been
bequeathed to u
superb!!!! Nice work!!
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Ajibade105(m): 11:14am On Jan 25, 2016
fawaz050:
Pls can someone solve e^x^2x-1.5=360
P.S ^ means raise to power

Write the question in a paper, then, snap and upload it here.

**cheers**
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by dprinz99(m): 12:44pm On Jan 25, 2016
Pls solve

1)1/8.7^-3=y^3
find y

2)(root5-2)^2-z=(1-root20)^2.
find z
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by benji93: 7:09pm On Jan 25, 2016
DatechMan:

The answer should be:

5000log3

which is 2385.60627...

Since there can only be whole digits(always round up), the answer is 2386

Explanation:

35000 == k x 10n

where n represent the number of digits if 0.1< k < 1

finding log of both sides and simplifying:

5000log3 = logk + nlog10

n = 5000log3 - logk

since logk is inconsequential since logk <<< 5000log3, we can ignore first.

n = 5000log3
n = 2385.60627...

Note that -1 lessorequal logk lessorequal 0

Therefore we can only round up our answer

n = 2386

Also, by extension:

logk = 5000log3 - 2386

k = 10(5000log3 - 2386)
k = 0.40389976...

It follows that 35000 = 0.4039 x 102386

Good Morning Nigeria
#GodBlessNigeria
Well you might be or not be exactly right it could be 2385, i am trying to verify that, there are cases of application of the formula were approximating it gives u a number 1 less or 1 more than exact, but you don try respect
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by petengine(m): 9:57pm On Jan 25, 2016
pls show working. thanks

Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Idrhas(m): 9:42am On Jan 26, 2016
pls prove sinx + cosx
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Umartins1(m): 12:45pm On Jan 26, 2016
Idrhas:
pls prove sinx + cosx
Inconclusive
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by Cymbal: 7:18pm On Jan 26, 2016
Good evening sirs!!!!!! ... Need ur help. Kindly simplify 1 . log(-i) 2. Sin i where i is a complex no.
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by DatechMan(m): 7:47am On Jan 28, 2016
Cymbal:
Good evening sirs!!!!!! ... Need ur help. Kindly simplify 1 . log(-i) 2. Sin i where i is a complex no.

Changing -i to polar form. We have e(3π/4)i.

Therefore log(e(3π/4)i) = 3π/4 i

Note that generally speaking. The answer is 3π/4 ± n2π

Using complex form of Sine (Euler). i.e

Sin x = (exi - e-xi)/2i

Therefore we have

Sin i = (eii - e-ii)/2i

Sin i = (e-1 - e1)/2i

= (1 - e2)/2ei
Re: Nairaland Mathematics Clinic by DatechMan(m): 8:12am On Jan 28, 2016
DatechMan:

The answer should be:

5000log3

which is 2385.60627...

Since there can only be whole digits(always round up), the answer is 2386

Explanation:

35000 == k x 10n

where n represent the number of digits if 0.1< k < 1

finding log of both sides and simplifying:

5000log3 = logk + nlog10

n = 5000log3 - logk

since logk is inconsequential since logk <<< 5000log3, we can ignore first.

n = 5000log3
n = 2385.60627...

Note that -1 lessorequal logk lessorequal 0

Therefore we can only round up our answer

n = 2386

Also, by extension:

logk = 5000log3 - 2386

k = 10(5000log3 - 2386)
k = 0.40389976...

It follows that 35000 = 0.4039 x 102386

Good Morning Nigeria

#GodBlessNigeria

benji93:

Well you might be or not be exactly right it could be 2385, i am trying to verify that, there are cases of application of the formula were approximating it gives u a number 1 less or 1 more than exact, but you don try respect

It is not an assumption. Check the solution again.

Note:

0.1< k ≤ 1

Therefore -1 ≤ log k ≤ 0

This implies that we will always round up

(1) (2) (3) ... (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) ... (284) (Reply)

2017/2018 JAMB Cut Off Mark For All Schools Released! See Full List. / Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, Enter Here / 2016/2017 University of Ibadan Admission Thread Guide.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.