Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,278 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:28 AM

New Year Gift - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / New Year Gift (3806 Views)

Dear PHCN, It's A New Year...... / A New Year Logical Question! Logical Answers Pls! / Happy New Year To Everyone On The Nairaland Literature/writing Board!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Year Gift by Redmosquito(m): 9:44am On Jan 01, 2013
We came back from church yesternight, we came back to meet our big fat white broiler dead.
Chai! I wan cry when I see am. And then it had to be carried to the back of the fence, on the outside, to be buried.
"Oya bury it fast! Dont let people see us and start talking rubbish!", my mother said, visibly agitated at the thought of being seen in the midnight burying a white chicken.
"Then let us keep it in the cage and bury it in the morning", my father suggested
"No ooo! We cannot leave a dead animal in the house na!", I retort, "Who even cares who sees us? It is their mouth jare!"
"Dont say that! Just dig faster and put the chicken quickly!", she says hastily, we can already hear voices at the other end of the street, church returnees.
Cheek! Cheeek!!
Red earth gives way as the black shovel ectomizes it every now and then.
The voices are getting louder, we can already see the dim glow of their flashlight, swinging from side to side with their gait.
"That is deep enough. Oya put it inside!", my mother said rather fearfully
"But it is not yet......."
"Just put it jare. Dont let people meet us here!", my mother cut in.
I drop the bird into the rather shallow grave. Its neck is above the ground, I twist it here and there with the shovel and then I cover it with the excavated dust. Dust to dust, is that not so?
We bury it in time, we were not seen by anybody, at least we didnt observe ourselves being seen.
"So what will we eat tomorrow?", my father said as we closed the gate and walked back into the compound, his voice tinted with a bit of sadness.
Meeeheeheee!
A goat bleats happily in the street, just infront of the gate. The whole family rushes back to the gate and pull it open to see our neighbour's goat. Standing there and bleating joyously, obviously happy to be alive to witness the new year.
I smile a evil smile, an infectious evil smile. The rest of the family smiles with me, we exchange glances of maleficience, a glitter of evil in our eyes and then we turn our gaze back to the giddy fat goat, the evil smile brightens and lengthens.

6 Likes

Re: New Year Gift by sholay2011(m): 9:57am On Jan 01, 2013
Lolz...nice one. But pls complete it. Did ur evil smile result into evil actns? grin
Re: New Year Gift by FoxyRebirth(m): 9:59am On Jan 01, 2013
I was hoping to be the first to comment, this thread should be moved to the front page. Kai... I no fit laugh....

Hahahahhahahahahhahahahahh
hahahahahahhahahahahhahahah
hahahahahhahahahahhahahaha

Did I just do that...

Buhahahahhahahahaha
Re: New Year Gift by fujirice: 10:08am On Jan 01, 2013
Hihihi! Dz guy, u nefer seize 2 deliver.
Two thumbs up for u bra! Kip up de gud work
Re: New Year Gift by Nobody: 10:15am On Jan 01, 2013
U buried a white fowl on new year?! shocked shocked shocked
*reading 3million different interpretations to it*
Nice one Friend...
Re: New Year Gift by omiobo: 10:36am On Jan 01, 2013
gringringrin. A landlady was caught when burying a dead black fowl among her fowls. Since then,she has been named witch.
Re: New Year Gift by Feraz(m): 11:02am On Jan 01, 2013
You don teach your people bad things innit??cheesy
Re: New Year Gift by Redmosquito(m): 11:05am On Jan 01, 2013
Muhehehehehee!!! grin grin grin
Re: New Year Gift by Oluwafunmilayo95(f): 11:28am On Jan 01, 2013
Funny you...grin
So wetin happen nah..abi gist don finish?grin
Re: New Year Gift by Redmosquito(m): 11:33am On Jan 01, 2013
Oluwafunmilayo95: Funny you...grin
So wetin happen nah..abi gist don finish?grin
I am happy to make u happy! grin grin grin
No vex again ya! grin grin
Re: New Year Gift by Redmosquito(m): 11:34am On Jan 01, 2013
omiobo: gringringrin. A landlady was caught when burying a dead black fowl among her fowls. Since then,she has been named witch.
tchidi: U buried a white fowl on new year?! shocked shocked shocked
*reading 3million different interpretations to it*
Nice one Friend...
Dem go just talk say we dey do JUJU!! shocked shocked grin grin grin
Re: New Year Gift by Redmosquito(m): 11:36am On Jan 01, 2013
Foxy and feraz, my brothers in the underlord grin grin grin
Thank all you guys who encourage me! Na una dey fuel me! grin grin grin grin
I am thinking of posting another wan sef! Today no boredom things, its all been quite interesting! grin grin grin
Re: New Year Gift by Beync(f): 12:13pm On Jan 01, 2013
Awww I pity the escape goat cheesy
Re: New Year Gift by Redmosquito(m): 12:29pm On Jan 01, 2013
sholay2011: Lolz...nice one. But pls complete it. Did ur evil smile result into evil actns? grin
Wetin u think/ grin grin grin
Re: New Year Gift by Warlord3000(m): 2:04pm On Jan 01, 2013
Just like I hate peeps not completing their sentences..

I hate peeps not finishing a story too *angry*

Most especially when its an interesting one smiley
Re: New Year Gift by Shugamania(f): 2:33pm On Jan 01, 2013
E don finish naa, What else? Figure d rest out urself.

Moskii, l'odun tuntun... e no good o cheesy
Re: New Year Gift by Udee1(f): 2:58pm On Jan 01, 2013
Lmao! Red I can see where you get your genes of mischief from.
Re: New Year Gift by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jan 01, 2013
All of u had the evil grin on ur faces.... Who are u guys,the adam's family?!.... Nice one bro.
Re: New Year Gift by ikotaiwo(m): 8:16pm On Jan 01, 2013
"But it is not yet....
Re: New Year Gift by olenyi: 8:20pm On Jan 01, 2013
Another great piece from the red himself. Big up's.

Ps* a ton of boredom once more wink grin
Re: New Year Gift by Ishilove: 12:23pm On Jan 04, 2013
Redmosquito: ************************
We came back from church yesternight. We came back to meet our big fat white broiler dead.
I put a full stop in the sentence. It reads better for effect.
Redmosquito:
Chai! I wan cry when I see am. And then it had to be carried to the back of the fence, on the outside, to be buried.
"Oya bury it fast! Dont let people see us and start talking rubbish!", my mother said, visibly agitated at the thought of being seen in the midnight burying a white chicken.
"Then let us keep it in the cage and bury it in the morning", my father suggested
"No ooo! We cannot leave a dead animal in the house na!", I retort,
You switched to present tense when you began with past tense. When writing, we should stick to particular style per section. If you want to use past tense, stick to past tense throughout, if present, then stick to present. Don't mix them up because it doesn't read nice.
Redmosquito:
"Dont say that! Just dig faster and put the chicken quickly!", she says hastily, we can already hear voices at the other end of the street, church returnees.
Cheek! Cheeek!!
The voices are getting louder, we can already see the dim glow of their flashlight, swinging from side to side with their gait.
Niggi, never heard of paragraphs?? undecided

Redmosquito: **
Past tense here...
Redmosquito: **
I drop the bird into the rather shallow grave. Its neck is above the ground, I twist it here and there with the shovel and then I cover it with the excavated dust.
Present tense narration here...you see what I mean? It's not smooth...
Redmosquito:
We bury it in time, we were not seen by anybody, at least we didnt observe ourselves being seen.
A mixture of the both here...
[quote author=Redmosquito]
"So what will we eat tomorrow?", my father said as we closed the gate and walked back into the compound, his voice tinted with a bit of sadness.

Consider review. 'Tinted' is a visual/tactile. Try using audio, like 'laced', 'tinged' etc
[quote author=Redmosquito]
Meeeheeheee!
A goat bleats happily in the street, just infront of the gate. The whole family rushes back to the gate and pull it open to see our neighbour's goat. Standing there and bleating joyously, obviously happy to be alive to witness the new year.
I smile a evil smile, an infectious evil smile. The rest of the family smiles with me, we exchange glances of maleficience, a glitter of evil in our eyes and then we turn our gaze back to the giddy fat goat, the evil smile brightens and lengthens.
Present tense again.

Red Moss, the major issues with this work is the tense thing and PARAGRAHING. Haaaaaaaaa!!! sad

That aside, the work is hilarious!! Keep it up. As you write, you will get better that is a given. I think you should hook up with sebonzakura kageyoshi (this guys name ehn! angry).

Meanwhile, I will attempt paragraphing your work and you'll tell me what you think.

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift by Ishilove: 12:25pm On Jan 04, 2013
Redmosquito: ************************
We came back from church yesternight. We came back to meet our big fat white broiler dead.

. "No ooo! We cannot leave a dead animal in the house na!", I retort, "Who even cares who sees us? It is their mouth jare!"

Cheek! Cheeek!!

I drop the bird into the rather shallow grave. Its neck is above the ground, I twist it here and there with the shovel and then I cover it with the excavated dust. Dust to dust, is that not so?

Meeeheeheee!

I smile a evil smile, an infectious evil smile...

The rest of the family smiles with me, we exchange glances of maleficience, a glitter of evil in our eyes and then we turn our gaze back to the giddy fat goat, the evil smile brightens and lengthens.
What do you think? Please make corrections where you deem necessary. smiley

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift by Redmosquito(m): 12:29pm On Jan 04, 2013
Ishilove:
I put a full stop in the sentence. It reads better for effect.

You switched to present tense when you began with past tense. When writing, we should stick to particular style per section. If you want to use past tense, stick to past tense throughout, if present, then stick to present. Don't mix them up because it doesn't read nice.

Niggi, never heard of paragraphs?? undecided

Past tense here...

Present tense narration here...you see what I mean? It's not smooth...

A mixture of the both here...
shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
***falls down and dies***
**Only a kiss of life can awaken me*** grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift by Redmosquito(m): 12:31pm On Jan 04, 2013
But I agree with the tense suggestion, I have been having tense issues since african nerd. I will try harder next time........ grin grin grin grin
**Wipes away sweat**

1 Like

Re: New Year Gift by Redmosquito(m): 12:33pm On Jan 04, 2013
Ishilove:
What do you think? Please make corrections where you deem necessary. smiley
Haa! Well I have to admit! It does look nicer now! grin grin grin
Re: New Year Gift by Ishilove: 12:35pm On Jan 04, 2013
Redmosquito:
Stomping on your red asss will have to suffice grin
Re: New Year Gift by Redmosquito(m): 12:35pm On Jan 04, 2013
I gave the work some paragraphs, but to be sincere I never knew I had to space them! sad
Re: New Year Gift by FoxyRebirth(m): 12:35pm On Jan 04, 2013
Redmosquito:

**Kicks him hard in his groin**

You don wake up cheesycheesycheesycheesy
Re: New Year Gift by Ishilove: 12:36pm On Jan 04, 2013
Redmosquito: But I agree with the tense suggestion, I have been having tense issues since african nerd. I will try harder next time........ grin grin grin grin
**Wipes away sweat**
Watch where you pour that sweat...
Re: New Year Gift by Redmosquito(m): 12:36pm On Jan 04, 2013
Foxy_Rebirth:

**Kicks him hard in his groin**

You don wake up cheesycheesycheesycheesy
**Bites his ehen** angry
Re: New Year Gift by Redmosquito(m): 12:37pm On Jan 04, 2013
Ishilove:
Stomping on your red asss will have to suffice grin
SO what u are saying is I have to use a specific tense throughout the story or just per section of it?
Re: New Year Gift by Redmosquito(m): 12:38pm On Jan 04, 2013
Ishilove:
Watch where you pour that sweat...
***Pours it in cup and offers it to her to drink*** grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Removed / Puzzles For The Dead / Young Readers Club For Leaders,abuja.be A Member!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.