Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,940 members, 7,817,750 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:34 PM

Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 (74832 Views)

Nigeria Vs South Africa : International Friendly : (1 - 1) On 29th March 2015 / Nigeria Vs Ghana: Friendly (1 - 0) - Live / Nigeria Vs Colombia Friendly (1 - 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by semid4lyfe(m): 1:44pm On Jan 01, 2013
The Super Eagles of Nigeria will take on the "La Selecció", the official football team of the Spanish autonomous community of Catalonia in an International Friendly & Exhibition match on Wednesday, 2nd January 2013 at the Cornella-El Prat Stadium, the home ground of La Liga club, RCD Espanyol.

Manager of the Catalonia side, Johan Cruyff has named a strong squad that includes 10 players from FC Barcelona, seven from RCD Espanyol and two from La Liga club, Rayo Vallecano.

Austrian club, Red Bull Salzburg, Getafe and AC Milan also contributed one player each to the Catalonia team.

Nigeria which is in camp in neighboring Portugal preparing for the African Cup of Nations will be fielding a mix of domestic league players and foreign pros in this game though they'll be without Captain - Joseph Yobo, Chelsea Duo - Mikel Obi & Victor Moses and Isreal-Based Goal keepers, Vincent Enyeama & Austin Ejide and in their absence, either Warri Wolves Chigozie Agbim or Heartland's Daniel Akpeyi will be in goal.

The friendly against the Super Eagles is Cruyff's last game in charge of Catalonia, and he's said the best players have been chosen, leaving out players from the second division, because it is an important game and the Nigerians are preparing for the African Cup of Nations.

On his part, Super Eagles gaffer, Stephen Keshi has urged Nigerians not to loose sleep over the game as his team will put in a strong performance against Catalonia.

The Words:

“For me it was a personal obligation. Forty years ago I was well received and have been here as a player and coach. I have fulfilled my obligations that I targeted and much more.

It's an important game for me, the players and the people of Catalonia and I'll like to win and bow out with a very loud ovation” — Johan Cruyff, Coach of Catalonia

“This will be my second time of facing Catalonia as a coach. I still recall when we were preparing for the 2000 Africa Cup of Nations when I was assistant to Bonfrere Jo. We lost that game 5-0.

We will be playing with a team dominated by players who ply their trade in the Nigeria Premier League. One or two foreign-based professionals will join us and I want to assure our teeming fans that the boys selected for that game will put in a strong performance against Catalonia” — Stephen Keshi, Super Eagles Coach

So what do you think? Does Stephen Keshi and in deed the players have what it takes to stop the likes of Sergio Busquets, Xavi Hernandez, Sergi Roberto, Cristian Tello, Carlos Puyol, Martin Montoya, Gerard Pique, Carles Puyol, Marc Bartra, Jordi Alba, Sergio Tejera, Joan Capdevila? etc and get a respectable result OR will it be another drubbing like in '98?

Who knows? Drop your opinion, prediction, comments and perhaps *pause* prayer for the team so it doesn't start 2013 with a loss tongue

Source: supersport.com

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by omenziate(m): 2:01pm On Jan 01, 2013
Catalonia don split officially from spain?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by practitioner(m): 2:04pm On Jan 01, 2013
Playing majorly home based players against such a side seems to me like a sucidal mission. Anyway i wish them all d best.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by kayswag100(m): 2:04pm On Jan 01, 2013
hmmmm... Indomie!!!!

Dem go chop us as my pikin dey chop indomie!!
Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by kaz4sure: 2:04pm On Jan 01, 2013
Catalunya 4, Nigeria 0.......goals scorred by Tello, Xavi, pique and Bojan.......I dreamt of the match dis morning
Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by semid4lyfe(m): 2:06pm On Jan 01, 2013
toba: You pple have started this madness in a new yr 2013. why dont u comment or go to hell.

too many kids on NL

Don't fret too much about them. Na zero-tolerance for them this year. . . .meanwhile, wetin u think about the game?

Something tells me it ain't gonna be good tomorrow grin
Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by yeko68: 2:07pm On Jan 01, 2013
So far Keshi has proved beyond all reasonable doubt that he is a competent coach. I wish him and the team a successful outing in the nations cup. God bless the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by Dfrenzy(m): 2:07pm On Jan 01, 2013
Chineke... Did i hear 10 barcelonia players. Father, every evil spirit of failure this year, i bind by fire.

21 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by Drdaps(m): 2:08pm On Jan 01, 2013
maybe the history of 98 will come back again
Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by kayswag100(m): 2:08pm On Jan 01, 2013
toba: You pple have started this madness in a new yr 2013. why dont u comment or go to hell.

too many kids on NL

dis crap started on FB. U ll c fans of stars being happy based on d position of their comment. So childish!

Btw, they havent split officially 4rm spain. Catalunya frequently organises matches with national sides. U wnt 4get how dey THRASHED Argentina and Tunisia a few months back...
Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by practitioner(m): 2:08pm On Jan 01, 2013

too many kids on NL

too many kids on NL

too many kids on NL
Is this ur own comment on the topic?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by floriana(m): 2:19pm On Jan 01, 2013
This isn't looking good. Playing a friendly match that will result in heavy loss and dent confidence of the players days before commencement of the tournament is not my idea of how to prepare.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by Hemanwel(m): 2:22pm On Jan 01, 2013
Please,I want to get the fact straight up:
Is it CATALONIA or CATALUNYA?
I had always thought it's the latter.
Post:Catalunya would have a real crush on the Super Chickens.
I predict a bleeping 3 nil.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by Nobody: 2:25pm On Jan 01, 2013
hehehehe ! I go watch this one. I got the feeling Nigeria go looooooooooooose. No good player around and Catalonia aint bad.
Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by omicron(m): 2:31pm On Jan 01, 2013
floriana: This isn't looking good. Playing a friendly match that will result in heavy loss and dent confidence of the players days before commencement of the tournament is not my idea of how to prepare.
Isn't your belief an expression of faith and lack of even the tiniest confidence, both of which aren't gonna help too? #just saying#.
Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by watchindelta(m): 2:31pm On Jan 01, 2013
nigeria uhm anyway i wich them good luck
Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 2:36pm On Jan 01, 2013
floriana: This isn't looking good. Playing a friendly match that will result in heavy loss and dent confidence of the players days before commencement of the tournament is not my idea of how to prepare.
Sometimes thrashing is the best preparation. I remember how Netherland thrashed Nigeria before the commencement of France '98. After that thrashing, we faced reality, trained harder and beat Spain in the World Cup.
Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by thegoodjoehunt(m): 2:38pm On Jan 01, 2013
Hemanwel: Please,I want to get the fact straight up:
Please they are the Green Chickens. There is nothing Super about these Chickens until they do something Super.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by semid4lyfe(m): 2:43pm On Jan 01, 2013

All three spellings of the place; Catalonia, Catalunya and Cataluña are correct:

Catalonia is English. It is pronounced how it looks.
Catalunya is Catalan, the local language of Catalonia. It is pronounced how it looks.
Cataluña is Spanish. It is pronounced like 'Catalunya'.

Obviously, as the English word exists, it should be written 'Catalonia' when writing in English. 'Catalunya' and 'Cataluña' would be wrong

SOURCE

I confess it had me confused too but I guess it's just like Cameroun and Cameroon

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by musiwa11: 2:55pm On Jan 01, 2013
happy new year..

for the Western Niger to play in the nation cup and world cup.. fifa and caf as to agree.

Will people be willing to play for the western niger abroad..

clubs email : westernnigerteam@westernniger.com

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by Medley(m): 3:07pm On Jan 01, 2013

catalonia is the other spanish national team seeking independence from spain,that includes regions of espanyol,vellacano,barcelona. while catalunya is used to refer teams from the region of catalonia cos of their language,culture....others

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by Kaxmytex(m): 3:09pm On Jan 01, 2013
[size=28pt]Wif d lyks of carles puyol,pedro,xavi hernadez,andres iniesta,etc......if i dey among d super chicken squad wey dem wan fixture 4 dat match,i go pretend as if i dey sick cuz dat catalona squad wey i dey see so,dem fit disgrace any team o[/size]

[size=28pt]anyway sha,anything fit apun...our super chicken fit prove me wrong....i rep team 9ja till i kpai[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jan 01, 2013
semid4lyfe:

Don't fret too much about them. Na zero-tolerance for them this year. . . .meanwhile, wetin u think about the game?

Something tells me it ain't gonna be good tomorrow grin
about the game. Keshi is ready to lose. Read his comment. he mentioned losing 5 nil with bonfere Jo. Now he wants to use home based players so if he finally loses, he shifts the blame on inexperienced players. Even with the pro, Nigeria would still not win

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by Johnnoah1st: 3:17pm On Jan 01, 2013
Nigeria 3-1 catalonia

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by Johnnoah1st: 3:19pm On Jan 01, 2013
Is d match goona be shown on tv?
Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by Ezekiel003(m): 3:33pm On Jan 01, 2013
GOD?? PLZ HELP DZ SO CALLED EAGLES! Dz people re 2 much 4 NIJAAAAAA oooooooo
Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by Hemanwel(m): 3:44pm On Jan 01, 2013
semid4lyfe:

All three spellings of the place; Catalonia, Catalunya and Cataluña are correct:

Catalonia is English. It is pronounced how it looks.
Catalunya is Catalan, the local language of Catalonia. It is pronounced how it looks.
Cataluña is Spanish. It is pronounced like 'Catalunya'.

Obviously, as the English word exists, it should be written 'Catalonia' when writing in English. 'Catalunya' and 'Cataluña' would be wrong

SOURCE

I confess it had me confused too but I guess it's just like Cameroun and Cameroon

Thanks loads for educating me!
Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by Chanchit: 3:44pm On Jan 01, 2013
Johnnoah1st: Nigeria 3-1 catalonia

I would thank God if we can loose @ dt margin, u think say the foreign based players no get sense, why Yobo no go follow play the match..?
Re: Nigeria Vs Catalonia Friendly (1 - 1 ) On Wednesday January-2-2013 by Hemanwel(m): 3:46pm On Jan 01, 2013
Medley:

catalonia is the other spanish national team seeking independence from spain,that includes regions of espanyol,vellacano,barcelona. while catalunya is used to refer teams from the region of catalonia cos of their language,culture....others
U mean their language is different from Spanish??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (28) (Reply)

Ronaldo's Fans Chanted “Messi” In Portugal Game Against Serbia / Muhammad Ali’s Son ‘dumps’ Wife And Children After Inheriting $80million From La / Barca Troll Ronaldo & Juventus With This Photo After Messi Scored Them

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.