Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,055 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:28 AM

Is A Mileage Of 191,000km For A 2002 Toyota Sienna Outrageous? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is A Mileage Of 191,000km For A 2002 Toyota Sienna Outrageous? (1851 Views)

How Can I Know The Mileage Of A Replaced Engine / Is Buying A Car With A Mileage Of 109,000 Miles A Safe/good Buy? / Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is A Mileage Of 191,000km For A 2002 Toyota Sienna Outrageous? by shedyman: 3:20pm On Jan 01, 2013
Please information on this would be greatly appreciated.
I ordered for a Sienna 2002 space bus some days ago, thinking that the dealer that recommended to me for the purchase of the car could be trusted, I consequently paid the money.
When the car arrived the body was not as neat as I expected, the engine was'nt any better, the engine oil leaked into d ground. The worse of them all is that the car has ran a mileage of 191,000km, this got me really worried, as I feel the car might have been a Nigerian used tokunbo, used for long distance transport& not an American used second hand, it is my thought that an American would'nt use a 2002 car with such huge mileage.
Am thinking of repudiating the contract(sending back the car and collecting my money) please I need advise from car experts.
Re: Is A Mileage Of 191,000km For A 2002 Toyota Sienna Outrageous? by symbianDON(m): 4:11pm On Jan 01, 2013
are you meaning to say 191,000miles or 191,000km? However, i want to assume u mean miles and not km cos sienna buses have their odometer readings calibrated to read in miles. That said, for a 10year bus, if it was previously used as a private bus, 191,000miles is rather high considering that a privately used vehicle averages about 12,000miles annually. However, more important than d distance covered is the maintenance routine of the previous owner. This can be seen from the general state of the vehicle. Going by what u wrote, the bus seems to be in a pretty poor state. I sincerely advise you to desist from taking ownership of the vehicle. This again depends on how much u gave d dealer. My 2cents. Cheers.
Re: Is A Mileage Of 191,000km For A 2002 Toyota Sienna Outrageous? by symbianDON(m): 4:21pm On Jan 01, 2013
are you meaning to say 191,000miles or 191,000km? However, i want to assume u mean miles and not km cos sienna buses have their odometer readings calibrated to read in miles. That said, for a 10year bus, if it was previously used as a private bus, 191,000miles is rather high considering that a privately used vehicle averages about 12,000miles annually. However, more important than d distance covered is the maintenance routine of the previous owner. This can be seen from the general state of the vehicle. Going by what u wrote, the bus seems to be in a pretty poor state. I sincerely advise you to desist from taking ownership of the vehicle. This again depends on how much u gave d dealer. Can u state how much u paid him? My 2cents. Cheers.
Re: Is A Mileage Of 191,000km For A 2002 Toyota Sienna Outrageous? by Nobody: 4:30pm On Jan 01, 2013
So your Toyota Sienna's covered a total of 118,000 miles (191,000 kms).

Going by the average 12,000 miles (19,440 kms) annual mileage, your Toyota Sienna at 11,800 miles (19,116 kms) certainly conforms to the norm.

With regards to the bodywork, that's a difficult one. I have no idea how much your definitely of "not as neat as expected" versus price paid means, and I'm not going to pry. This is something you and your dealer would have agreed upon, based on your agreed price. Unless he sent you detailed pictures which don't match what you received, I wouldn't see this as grounds to reject the automobile.

Sometimes, (and I'm not implying you do the same) Nigerian buyers have unrealistic expectations with regards to mileage, body condition, year of car, options etc. versus landed cost.

You say "the engine wasn't any better, the engine oil leaked into d ground." You'll have to clarify that. If it's a weepy oil seal from the oil filter, oil pressure switch, rocker gasket, sump gasket, crank oil seal or even a simple oil drail plug, these are minor issues, and not a big deal on any automobile that's covered over a 100,000 miles (162,000 kms). External oil seals don't have an infinite service life, and WILL seep oil. As long as it's not pouring out, it's not a big deal. My 2008 BMW 120D M-Sport had oil seeping from the oil drain plug, and the oil filter housing. Wasn't a big or expensive fix.

To sum it up, at least 80% of cars on our roads worldwide will have an oil weep somewhere, and this doesn't mean the engine's dead.

Cars used in North America cover vast distances, compared to Nigerian ones. The sheer size of the United States, combined with good roads means annual mileage of 20,000 miles (32,400 kms) is not out of the question. People drive from LA to Texas, that's just an example.

2 Likes

Re: Is A Mileage Of 191,000km For A 2002 Toyota Sienna Outrageous? by Lexusgs430: 6:14pm On Jan 01, 2013
Before you repudiate your purchase with the car dealer, what details about the vehicle did he furnish you with prior to cash exchanging hands
Did you ask any questions pre purchase of the vehicle? Did you give any vehicle requirements? Did you specify in your purchase brief, conditions, mileage requirements etc etc etc?
Re: Is A Mileage Of 191,000km For A 2002 Toyota Sienna Outrageous? by shedyman: 8:15pm On Jan 01, 2013
symbianDON: are you meaning to say 191,000miles or 191,000km? However, i want to assume u mean miles and not km cos sienna buses have their odometer readings calibrated to read in miles. That said, for a 10year bus, if it was previously used as a private bus, 191,000miles is rather high considering that a privately used vehicle averages about 12,000miles annually. However, more important than d distance covered is the maintenance routine of the previous owner. This can be seen from the general state of the vehicle. Going by what u wrote, the bus seems to be in a pretty poor state. I sincerely advise you to desist from taking ownership of the vehicle. This again depends on how much u gave d dealer. My 2cents. Cheers.

Thanks dude, much appreciated.
Re: Is A Mileage Of 191,000km For A 2002 Toyota Sienna Outrageous? by shedyman: 8:23pm On Jan 01, 2013
Siena: So your Toyota Sienna's covered a total of 118,000 miles (191,000 kms).

Going by the average 12,000 miles (19,440 kms) annual mileage, your Toyota Sienna at 11,800 miles (19,116 kms) certainly conforms to the norm.

With regards to the bodywork, that's a difficult one. I have no idea how much your definitely of "not as neat as expected" versus price paid means, and I'm not going to pry. This is something you and your dealer would have agreed upon, based on your agreed price. Unless he sent you detailed pictures which don't match what you received, I wouldn't see this as grounds to reject the automobile.

Sometimes, (and I'm not implying you do the same) Nigerian buyers have unrealistic expectations with regards to mileage, body condition, year of car, options etc. versus landed cost.

You say "the engine wasn't any better, the engine oil leaked into d ground." You'll have to clarify that. If it's a weepy oil seal from the oil filter, oil pressure switch, rocker gasket, sump gasket, crank oil seal or even a simple oil drail plug, these are minor issues, and not a big deal on any automobile that's covered over a 100,000 miles (162,000 kms). External oil seals don't have an infinite service life, and WILL seep oil. As long as it's not pouring out, it's not a big deal. My 2008 BMW 120D M-Sport had oil seeping from the oil drain plug, and the oil filter housing. Wasn't a big or expensive fix.

To sum it up, at least 80% of cars on our roads worldwide will have an oil weep somewhere, and this doesn't mean the engine's dead.

Cars used in North America cover vast distances, compared to Nigerian ones. The sheer size of the United States, combined with good roads means annual mileage of 20,000 miles (32,400 kms) is not out of the question. People drive from LA to Texas, that's just an example.

Thanks, I have been greatly enlightened by your wealth of knowledge. Since 191,000km is in conformity with the norm for a 10years old car and d leakage of the engine oil does'nt necessary mean d engine is in bad state, I guess I will settle for the car, besides trying to get back the money might be herculean.

(1) (Reply)

Install Fog Light On 2005 Honda Pilot / Power Steering Leaking Toyota Sienna 2000 (pix) / Photos: Chinese Man Brings Coins To Buy An SUV, Takes 4 Staff 12 Hours To Finish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.