Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,075 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

Atheism And Mass Murder - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism And Mass Murder (866 Views)

Atheism And Terrorism; Annihilation in The Quest For Atheistic Domination / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / I Renounce Atheism And Agnosticism!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheism And Mass Murder by Nobody: 11:55am On Jan 02, 2013

Concerning atheism and mass murder, Christian apologist Gregory Koukl wrote that "the assertion is that religion has caused most of the killing and bloodshed in the world. There are people who make accusations and assertions that are empirically false. This is one of them. " Koukl details the number of people killed in various events involving theism and compares them to the much higher tens of millions of people killed under communist atheistic regimes.

It has been estimated that in less than the past 100 years, governments under the banner of communism have caused the death of somewhere between 40,472,000 to 259,432,000 human lives. Dr. R. J. Rummel, professor emeritus of political science at the University of Hawaii, is the scholar who first coined the term democide (death by government). Dr. R. J. Rummel's mid estimate regarding the loss of life due to communism is that communism caused the death of approximately 110,286,000 people between 1917 and 1987. Richard Dawkins has attempted to engage in historical revisionism concerning atheist atrocities and Dawkins was shown to be in gross error (see also: Atheism and communism and Persecution of Christians in the Soviet Union).
Koukl summarized by stating:

“ It is true that it's possible that religion can produce evil, and generally when we look closer at the detail it produces evil because the individual people are actually living in a rejection of the tenets of Christianity and a rejection of the God that they are supposed to be following. So it can produce it, but the historical fact is that outright rejection of God and institutionalizing of atheism actually does produce evil on incredible levels. We're talking about tens of millions of people as a result of the rejection of God.”

Read the rest HERE
Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by Nobody: 11:56am On Jan 02, 2013
Nobel Prize winner Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn was asked to account for the great tragedies that occurred under the brutal communist regime he and fellow citizens suffered under.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn offered the following explanation:

“ Over a half century ago, while I was still a child, I recall hearing a number of old people offer the following explanation for the great disasters that had befallen Russia: 'Men have forgotten God; that's why all this has happened.'

Since then I have spend well-nigh 50 years working on the history of our revolution; in the process I have read hundreds of books, collected hundreds of personal testimonies, and have already contributed eight volumes of my own toward the effort of clearing away the rubble left by that upheaval. But if I were asked today to formulate as concisely as possible the main cause of the ruinous revolution that swallowed up some 60 million of our people, I could not put it more accurately than to repeat: 'Men have forgotten God; that's why all this has happened.'

Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by Nobody: 12:50pm On Jan 02, 2013
Copy and paste grin

Please try to copy and paste things that make sense.

Shouldnt your title be "religion and mass murder" or "communism and mass murder"?
Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by onetrack(m): 1:14pm On Jan 02, 2013
Logicboy03: Copy and paste grin

Shouldnt your title be "religion and mass murder" or "communism and mass murder"?

Or, alternatively, 'undemocratic governments and mass murder'
Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jan 02, 2013
Logicboy03: Copy and paste grin

communism for your info is state atheism.
Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by onetrack(m): 1:21pm On Jan 02, 2013
"It is true that it's possible that religion can produce evil, and generally when we look closer at the detail it produces evil because the individual people are actually living in a rejection of the tenets of Christianity and a rejection of the God that they are supposed to be following. So it can produce it, but the historical fact is that outright rejection of God and institutionalizing of atheism actually does produce evil on incredible levels. We're talking about tens of millions of people as a result of the rejection of God.”

No True Scotsman fallacy right there.

It has been estimated that in less than the past 100 years, governments under the banner of communism have caused the death of somewhere between 40,472,000 to 259,432,000 human lives.

Who cares about the body count. The fact that more people have been killed by un-elected communist dictators than earlier, religious regimes is a function of the much larger population of the 20th century than earlier centuries. Don't think that religious governments of earlier times would not have killed that many people if there had been 100,000,000 heretics to be killed. "Oh, we're Christian kings; we can only kill 10,000,000 of them instead of 100,000,000!"
Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jan 02, 2013
onetrack:

Who cares about the body count. The fact that more people have been killed by un-elected communist dictators than earlier, religious regimes is a function of the much larger population of the 20th century than earlier centuries. Don't think that religious governments of earlier times would not have killed that many people if there had been 100,000,000 heretics to be killed. "Oh, we're Christian kings; we can only kill 10,000,000 of them instead of 100,000,000!"

Why , am I surprised at your statement, atheists don't care about body count, the higher the better , just ask your comrades, Stalin, Pol Pot and Chairman Mao. grin

Is this how your thinking works ?

In less than 1/2 a century , atheist controlled states wiped out over 200 million souls , and your only response is a rehashing of wishful inferences based at most on fantasy ?
Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by onetrack(m): 1:30pm On Jan 02, 2013
frosbel:

Why , am I surprised at your statement, atheists don't care about body count, the higher the better , just ask your comrades, Stalin, Pol Pot and Chairman Mao. grin

In less than 1/2 a century , atheist controlled states wiped out over 200 million souls , and your only response is a rehashing of wishful inferences based at most on fantasy ?

Loool, I am not a communist, Stalin and the others are not my comrades any more than the Spanish conquistadores are yours.

Do you not think that the Spanish conquistadores would not have killed whatever number of Natives it would have taken in order to convert them to the holy universal church? That's why the body count number is irrelevant. Intent is all that matters, and there is no shortage of religious people who have intended to kill as many people as possible to force religious orthodoxy on a population.
Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jan 02, 2013
frosbel:

The body count of christianity is far more.

Ignorance is a disease
Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jan 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

The body count of christianity is far more.

Ignorance is a disease

provide statistics, not outbursts !
Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jan 02, 2013
frosbel:

I like to embarrass christians. It is the only way they learn.

Please, could you outrightly deny that the christian body count is way more before I provide evidence?
Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by advocate666: 1:52pm On Jan 02, 2013
frosbel:

there is so much statistics that one wouldn't know where to begin.
Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by Nobody: 1:58pm On Jan 02, 2013
advocate666:

there is so much statistics that one wouldn't know where to begin.

a joke , right ?
Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by jayriginal: 2:29pm On Jan 02, 2013
One thing that needs to be taken into consideration is the technology available at the time. Given how much destruction the christians were able to carry out at the time, its reasonable to think that they would have achieved much more in terms of bloodshed if they had our modern day weapons at their disposal.

Imagine nukes in their hands for instance.
Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jan 02, 2013
jayriginal: One thing that needs to be taken into consideration is the technology available at the time. Given how much destruction the christians were able to carry out at the time, its reasonable to think that they would have achieved much more in terms of bloodshed if they had our modern day weapons at their disposal.

Imagine nukes in their hands for instance.

Even at that, the body count still rests with the christians as champions.

They have been killing since the 6th century.
Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by Nobody: 3:06pm On Jan 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

Even at that, the body count still rests with the christians as champions.

They have been killing since the 6th century.

You mean your former type of Christian, i.e Catholic Pagan worshipers, not the TRUE flock of Christ ?

Obviously you will never know the difference for you were NEVER a Christian to begin with.

Even at that , it took your former PAGAN church , centuries to achieve up to a few million killed , whereas communism which you know as well as I do is state based atheism , was responsible for 200 million plus dead in less than 1/2 a century.

What a joke atheism is !

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jan 02, 2013
frosbel:

You mean your former type of Christian, i.e Catholic Pagan worshipers, not the TRUE flock of Christ ?

Obviously you will never know the difference for you were NEVER a Christian to begin with.

Even at that , it took your former PAGAN church , centuries to achieve up to a few million killed , whereas communism which you know as well as I do is state based atheism , was responsible for 200 million plus dead in less than 1/2 a century.

What a joke atheism is !

You dont consider catholcis as christians. However catholcis are the driving force of christianity. 1 billion plus in numbers and the oldest church in existence.

Its okay though, there are catholics who dont consider you and your united church (or whatever it is called) as christians.

250 million is one estimated figure of the killings of christianity.
Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by advocate666: 3:16pm On Jan 02, 2013
frosbel:

What a joke atheism is !

ah! that old defence: the murderous christians were the wrong type of christians.
Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by 2good(m): 3:17pm On Jan 02, 2013
Why I agree with you that Atheist have done bad things in the past just like Christians and other religious people have done, it is still not an excuse to continue to brainwash people, lie and give false hope to them and threaten children of burning in hell that does not exist.
Also why are you so obsessed with Atheists? I thought you're the one complaining they bother so much about christians.
Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jan 02, 2013
Logicboy03:

You dont consider catholcis as christians. However catholcis are the driving force of christianity. 1 billion plus in numbers and the oldest church in existence.

Catholics are the driving force of YOUR BRAND of 'Christianity'.

Logicboy's version of the CHURCH is not the TRUE version of the church , rather it is a deranged LIE that has been held on to by countless deceived souls over the past centuries, and reinforced, not with love and kindnesses, but with immense brutality, violence and torture. Along with Hitler, you are one of the by products of this evil system , but somewhat lucky you escaped in time, though you escaped into the frying pan grin

Just because you got tired of chanting the rosary, bowing before statues , and all that nonsense, does not mean you should twist the truth to align with your fantasy.

btw , your 250m estimation of the number of innocent souls killed by your former religion is not at all true.

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jan 02, 2013
advocate666:

ah! that old defence: the murderous christians were the wrong type of christians.

well what were they ?

There are times when other animals can mimic the quacking of a duck, just because the catholic church imbibes superficial Christian symbols and rites, does not mean it is Christian.

If you want to see what true Christianity is like , look at Jesus, if you refuse to , you are engaging ( not a surprise with atheists these days ) in an illogical argument based on intentional dishonesty.

Jesus is the role model of what Christians stands for, not Pastor Adegboye , or TB Joshua or the numerous Charlatans we have roaming around on Nairaland, grin

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by TerryCarr(m): 3:33pm On Jan 02, 2013
they did not kill in the name of atheism
Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jan 02, 2013
TerryCarr: they did not kill in the name of atheism

They killed in the name of 'nothing' , no ?

illogicalboy grin

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jan 02, 2013
frosbel:

Catholics are the driving force of YOUR BRAND of 'Christianity'.

Logicboy's version of the CHURCH is not the TRUE version of the church , rather it is a deranged LIE that has been held on to by countless deceived souls over the past centuries, and reinforced, not with love and kindnesses, but with immense brutality, violence and torture. Along with Hitler, you are one of the by products of this evil system , but somewhat lucky you escaped in time, though you escaped into the frying pan grin

Just because you got tired of chanting the rosary, bowing before statues , and all that nonsense, does not mean you should twist the truth to align with your fantasy.

btw , your 250m estimation of the number of innocent souls killed by your former religion is not at all true.

If the catholic church is false then you are false because protestants are a creation of the catholic church. You use a bible compiled by the catholics.

As for the 250 million estimate- contains both catholic and protestant killings from the early centuries. Any fools on the street would be smart enoght to know that the christian body count would be more than any other religion since they were killing for over a millenia (thousand years) and that they are the largets religion in the world.

That figure of 250 million is even a conservative estimate. The numbers could be higher
Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 3:39pm On Jan 02, 2013
This is 2013 and I have made up my mind to be decidedly open-minded, tolerant of religion and its nuances as well as offer deep consideration to the opinion of others even if I do not agree with them.

All I can say (in garri fashion) how does this affect the present? has it reduced, is it still on.. I love the past because it gives you a good idea of how things came to be.. what I will not accept is that it also has a strong-hold on what I do now and in the future. it is a defeatist approach and dangerous line of thinking. WE CAN CHANGE those who refuse to will be left behind like we continue to see in one ferociously-violent and intolerant religion of modern times. LEAVE THE PAST BEHIND, IMPROVE THE PRESENT AND CHANGE THE FUTURE.

~PEACE IN THE MIDDLE-EAST~
Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by TerryCarr(m): 3:46pm On Jan 02, 2013
frosbel:

They killed in the name of 'nothing' , no ?

illogicalboy grin
power and control
Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jan 02, 2013
[quote author=Logicboy03]

If the catholic church is false then you are false because protestants are a creation of the catholic church. You use a bible compiled by the catholics.

It is false.

The church does not go by names, the church translated from the greek ecclesia is representative of the 'little flock' of GOD , or called out ones from the world, who make up the assembly of earthly saints.

Again, the church is called the church or body of Christ, not rccg, deeperlife, roman catholic church , mountain of fire, fire ministries, 'kill my enemies international grin etc etc.

Get the basics right and then we can move on.

As for the 250 million estimate- contains both catholic and protestant killings from the early centuries. Any fools on the street would be smart enoght to know that the christian body count would be more than any other religion since they were killing for over a millenia (thousand years) and that they are the largets religion in the world.

Again , this is your OWN brand of Christians , who are more like the followers of the anti-Christ and now represented by the Zionist loving, right wing racist 'Christians' in some sections of America.

Indeed, we agree these false followers, of which you were a former member, have been killing for eons, but have never achieved up to the level of massacres and human tragedies brought to our beautiful world by deluded atheism.

First off, it is impossible that they have killed up to 250 million because the world at that time was not as populated as it is today.

For example, during the time when your 'church' was at its worse in the 14th century for example, the world population stood at 370 million. This was the average trend over that period. At worst , thousands were killed at any one time over a number of centuries, totalling not more than a few million over this huge period.

Now, if we compare this with atheist communism , over 200 million precious souls were extinguished in just 1/2 a century , what a shocker.

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Mass Murder by TerryCarr(m): 4:00pm On Jan 02, 2013
why did you quote conservapedia? that in its self means this is a stupid thread grin

(1) (Reply)

Is Answering Prayer Consistent With The Notion Of A Perfect God? / If Hell Is Not Hell Jesus’ll Not’ve Hanged On The Cross!!by Bro Michael T. Sambo / Rccg Open Heavens Devotion Wednesday 10th July, 2013 Do Something About That Wea

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.