Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,824 members, 7,828,017 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC (7633 Views)

Nigerian Helicopter Crashes In Benin Republic (Pictured) / Do You Stop To Help Victims Involved In Road Traffic Accidents? BE HONEST. / Five Places To Visit During Xmas In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by GARRIx7(m): 3:46am On Jan 05, 2013
280 killed in road crashes during Xmas and New Year celebrations – FRSC

January 5, 2013 | 12:55 am

News

By Chris Ochayi, Abuja

A total of 280 people have been reported dead from various road traffic crashes that occurred in the nation’s highways between December 19  2012 and January 4, 2013.

Corps Marshall and Chief Executive of Federal Road Safety Commission, FRSC, Mr. Osita Chidoka who disclosed this to journalists at the local wing of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, on his arrival from the final air surveillance of the traffic situation under the Operation Zero, said about 1,600 people were also injured from over 480 road traffic crashes recorded within the period.

*File name: Site of a road accident

Mr. Chidoka who noted there was improvement in rate of road crashes during  this year’s Christmas and New Year celebrations compared to the previous year, attributed the success recorded to improved monitoring mechanism and current strength of the staff in the Corps.

According to him, “from  December 19, 2013 till today, we had over 480 road traffic crashes. It was an improvement over last year. We had about 1,600 people injured and we had about 280 dead arising from these crashes, between December 19th and today, so compared to last year there is a slight improvement and we hope this improving trend will continue.”

He said, “this is my final surveillance of the Operation Zero that we had from December 19, 2012 to date. The operation continues, it will terminate in another four days there about. So what I have done is to take a look from the Eastern part of the country.

We went through Enugu-9th Mile-Lokoja-Gwawgalada and then the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, Abuja. And the traffic is moving freely. Our efforts in managing the traffic have been very successful in this year’s Operation Zero, coupled with the fact that the roads condition is virtually improved. So it was a very good outing for us.

On how would the air surveillance really help to check movement on the roads, he said,  “well, for those of the journalists who joined us on the air surveillance, they will explain that better to you because there was no way I could have monitored five locations in one day. With those that I went with, of course,we land in Onitsha, we land in Lokoja and we were able to give them the ideas of what was happening because we can get the best eye view of the road and then advise them appropriately on what to do.

He said: “in the last ten years, the FRSC has successfully brought down crashes within the December period year . And this is another year that we have successfully brought down crashes rate. In terms of our enforcement activities, over thirty six thousand vehicles were stopped and only about thirteen thousand were booked for various road traffic offences, the rest twenty six thousand were cautioned and allowed to proceed on their journey.

“About thirteen thousand were booked and one person was sent to prison by a mobile court and about three hundred and seventy were fined for various offences. Twenty five were discharged and acquitted by the mobile court. So all in all this has been a very good outing. In terms of travel times for those who travelled this year, many of them are commending the activities of the FRSC and praising that we have made it possible for them to get to their destination in time.’’

www.vanguardngr.com/2013/01/280-killed-in-road-crashes-during-xmas-and-new-year-celebrations-frsc/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by cockyjay: 6:30am On Jan 05, 2013
RIP to the dead people
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by GARRIx7(m): 7:59am On Jan 05, 2013
cockyjay: RIP to the dead people

And may the blood of those who died due to the bad roads be on the head of out thieving leaders..

Meanwhile, Jehovah Jireh I thank you for bringing me to the FRONT PAGE again, accept the honor, glory, praise and Adoration.
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by Nobody: 9:26am On Jan 05, 2013
How many did Okadas kill in the same period? Anyways, the solution is to ban Okadas completely nationwide. When you ban Okadas, all kinds of accidents and crashes - including vehicle and airplane - would automatically cease to occur.

2 Likes

Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by GARRIx7(m): 10:19am On Jan 05, 2013
pro01: How many did Okadas kill in the same period? Anyways, the solution is to ban Okadas completely nationwide. When you ban Okadas, all kinds of accidents and crashes - including vehicle and airplane - would automatically cease to occur.

Still angry with the Okada ban, right??

Try to move on..... smiley smiley
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by AGgal(f): 11:03am On Jan 05, 2013
may their souls rest in peace
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by aglomar: 11:04am On Jan 05, 2013
God save us! Most of the accidents occured on expressways where okadas dont tread.
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by Nobody: 11:05am On Jan 05, 2013
pls iz this figure too much or too small I think we shuld b thankin God. D % compard 2d numbr of ppl movin up n down within dis period is small. So, i'm saying, THANK U LORD.
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by Decapo: 11:06am On Jan 05, 2013
God bless the dead!
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by free2ryhme: 11:08am On Jan 05, 2013
RIP to d dead ... our leaders ought to be ashamed of themselves going by the deplorable state of roads in the country
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by warrior101: 11:09am On Jan 05, 2013
No offense, but i can only see one dead body on the ground and no FRSC personnel in the pix undecided
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by Nobody: 11:10am On Jan 05, 2013
May there soul rest in peace

1 Like

Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by Arysexy(m): 11:27am On Jan 05, 2013
Weldone Chidoka and RIP to d dead. The number of casualty is drastically going down.
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by simdam500(m): 11:36am On Jan 05, 2013
Hmm! RIP. But even wit good road, whosoever is goin to die by road will never die on bed
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by slimming: 11:37am On Jan 05, 2013
God help us in naija o
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by Nobody: 11:41am On Jan 05, 2013
JUDGEMENT TIME

1 Like

Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by redsun(m): 11:53am On Jan 05, 2013
And this happen to be a record improvement,according to the FRSC official.Life is waywardly cheap in nigeria,the fact remains that over 80 percent of these horrific accidents are avoidable if there is any atom of common sense on nigerian roads.
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by asala1: 12:11pm On Jan 05, 2013
If it is plane crash, everybody will be shouting. Is the FG investigating the cause of these crashes? Or will they ground all the commercial transport companies involve in these crashes? Will their families be compensated?
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by Abagworo(m): 12:18pm On Jan 05, 2013
Having only 280 is quite small and we should commend the FRSC for the reduction in accidents this year.
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by Originalsly: 12:18pm On Jan 05, 2013
Nonsense. How did air surveillance help? Even he sef can't explain. How does checking vehicles help? Celebrations usually involve alcohol and alcohol and driving don't mix. All the money spent on him and his crew flying around having useless bird eye view should be spent on breathalyser testing and radar guns for excessive speeding. He did nothing to reduce accidents.
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by greatgod2012(f): 12:25pm On Jan 05, 2013
Well, what can we say than, RIP to d dead.

Btw, i think this should be a wake-up call to our leaders as regards d deteriorating conditions of our roads, which keep on taking lives on daily basis.
How i wish there will not be any accident victim by this year's xmas celebration.
And to some drivers, even, if d roads are in good condition, they will still drive carelessly, some are even fond of getting drunk before driving......hhhhmmmm...d saying......"dont drive if drunk and dont get drunk, if you want to drive"......seems not to have meaning to such people. Hhhhhhmmmmmmm.......what else can i say than.........
May God help us all.
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by achi4u(m): 12:28pm On Jan 05, 2013
GARRI (x7):

And may the blood of those who died due to the bad roads be on the head of out thieving leaders..
iseeee!!!
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by achi4u(m): 12:41pm On Jan 05, 2013
free2ryhme: RIP to d dead ... our leaders ought to be ashamed of themselves going by the deplorable state of roads in the country
but your president was busy saying that GOOD ROAD are the curses of all this accidents,which means those roads should not be repaired to avoid accidents.

Nigeria is a country of upside down.
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by free2ryhme: 12:57pm On Jan 05, 2013
achi4u: but your president was busy saying that GOOD ROAD are the curses of all this accidents,which means those roads should not be repaired to avoid accidents.

Nigeria is a country of upside down.

he has now become my president abi >. Am i d only nigerian .. guy your region has the worst road network ever every where na red sand and clay ... Na jonathan do am?
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by Omen100(m): 1:10pm On Jan 05, 2013
its like the endtime has being moved forward, that's why the death rate is reducing drastically. wink wink wink
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by achi4u(m): 1:27pm On Jan 05, 2013
free2ryhme:

he has now become my president abi >. Am i d only nigerian .. guy your region has the worst road network ever every where na red sand and clay ... Na jonathan do am?
guy you wicked.__but i think were saying the same thinggrin,beside,my region is no longer nigeria teretory.

Biafra kwenu.
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by Humm: 1:30pm On Jan 05, 2013
This is a very big problem on this entity called Nigeria where the Government did not care for their citizens, how will it concern them as the accident did not happen to one of theirs so let the victimise go to hell it is non of their business even if the road turned to be erosion they did not care all they will say is " that it is reducing it is not like past years " Anyway, I say to the casualties RIP may the lord God receive your souls and keep you to the perfect place in heaven amen.
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by Nobody: 1:37pm On Jan 05, 2013
280? This one pass Dana o.
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by Symphony007: 1:51pm On Jan 05, 2013
In as much as our roads are'nt all good. Bad roads should'nt be what comes to your mind whenever an accidence occurs. There is also a very poor driving attitude amongs some drivers. The government should pay more attention to who is issued a drivers linsence. There should be exams, and test drives. And a national database for drivers. It's important. My taughts and prayers are with the farmilies of the dead.
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by Nobody: 1:53pm On Jan 05, 2013
In other words, about 20 people died daily from accidents nationwide. That's quite high and leaves nothin to be proud of.
Re: 280 Killed In Road Crashes During Xmas & New Year Celebrations – FRSC by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jan 05, 2013
GARRI (x7):

Meanwhile, Jehovah Jireh I thank you for bringing me to the FRONT PAGE again, accept the honor, glory, praise and Adoration.
May those who have destroyed Naija by lootocracy never have rest in their lives. If they fly in planes, they will have air crashes.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Have You Ever Had Your Item(s) Stolen On Arik Air Before? / Best Places To See In Europe Within 7 DAYS! / What Is That One Thing You Hate The Most On Nigerian Roads?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.