Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,783 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:14 AM

Why Are Christians So Divided - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Christians So Divided (942 Views)

Why Are Some Christians So Obsessed With Islam. / Why Are Christians So Judgmental? Doesn't The Bible Say, "do Not Judge" / Why Are Christians So Quick To Insult? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Christians So Divided by Zenanted(m): 4:38am On Jan 05, 2013
unlike other religions, christianity is so divided that we dnt know the particular sect to belong to, jst as the doctrine of pentecostals are different 4rm that of a catholic, anglican, celestials, jehovah witnesses
Even segregation exists in this same religion to the extent that a particular church member is subconsiously an enemy to another church member.
Is this suppose to be so? Do we realy have a target? Is this what Christ realy want? Are we not suposed to be united as one body jst as our name implies in order to solve problems facing us?
Re: Why Are Christians So Divided by tpia5: 4:41am On Jan 05, 2013
ever heard of the parable of the wheat and the tares?

whoever is in church to stalk their enemy, should remain there until judgement day.

no need for meaningless threads.
Re: Why Are Christians So Divided by Zenanted(m): 4:57am On Jan 05, 2013
tpia@:
ever heard of the parable of the wheat and the tares?

whoever is in church to stalk their enemy, should remain there until judgement day.

no need for meaningless threads.
is there a need for division?
Re: Why Are Christians So Divided by tpia5: 5:13am On Jan 05, 2013
if God allows division then yes, there's a need for it.

or are you wiser than God?

not everybody is in church to serve- attendees are the ones who know what's bringing them there.

for some, it's to keep tabs on their enemy, for others, its to look for lovers, b/gf, while yet others are afraid their village witches will get them if they dont go.

whatever the reason, God is the ultimate judge.
Re: Why Are Christians So Divided by Nobody: 7:09am On Jan 05, 2013
Good morning sir,

I do share your sentiments. The level of division in Christendom is very sad indeed and I do not think this is the intent of God. Jesus prayed for unity but man due to some reasons (good or bad) prefers disunity.

It has not always been like this. When the Church of Christ started the whole of Christendom was one just like Jesus prayed. At the time, the apostles were quick to speak out against any form of division that was noticed within the Church.

Divisions were motivated by various intentions, from very selfless motives like given the Church a proper bearing and focus to very selfish motives like a desire to be re-married and in the recent past, a desire to be wealthy.

Irrespective of the divisions that are noticed today, I am of the opinion that we can still unite and do things in common. We all have a common denominator (God) who should be our uniting factor. I believe firmly that unity is possible even though Christianity seem to have been overrun by charlatans and business men.

This unity can be extended to Muslims, Atheists, Agnostics, Pagans etc. Our common denominator here would be that we are first and foremost HUMANS irrespective of our beliefs, disbeliefs or our refusal to believe. The sooner we realize that in unity we find strength, the better for all of us.

Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Christians So Divided by CrazyMan(m): 7:14am On Jan 05, 2013
The many denominations should not exist. Denominations are strategies the devil uses to divide the church.

Notice what 1 Corinthians 1:10 says;"Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that ye all speak the same thing, and that there be no divisions among you; but that ye be perfectly joined together in the same mind and in the same judgment."

Jesus prayed for such unity in

John 17:20-21. Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; 21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

Notice unity helps the world to believe in Christ.

Why do we have so many divisions? Men are not satisfied to "all speak the same thing". Men are not satisfied to teach only the word of God. Men are not satisfied to only speak where the Bible speaks, and be silent where the Bible is silent. Men are not content to do Bible things in Bible ways and call Bible things by Bible names. Too many wish to add their own desires and teach their own doctrine.

Notice 2 Timothy 4:2-4. Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4 And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

We should return to the Bible as our authority and only guide book. We should have a "thus saith the Lord" for everything we teach and do as a church. (Colossians 3:17)

The Bible teaches that the church is the body of Christ (Eph. 1:22-23) and that there is only "one body" (Eph 4:4).When the church first began, there were no denominations.

In Acts 2, we see that about 3000 all heard the same message, all understood it the same way, all believed it the same way and all obeyed it the same way. The result was they became Christians - nothing more, nothing less, nothing else. At this point, God added them to His church (Acts 2:47).

There is no authorization for Christians to "join the church of your choice", but they were added to the church Christ built and purchased! (Matt. 16:18, Acts 20:27)

After they became Christians they continued in one accord in fellowship and together in the apostles doctrine. (Acts 2:42-47) They had the type of unity Christians should have.

Today, if we read and understand what they understood, believe what they believed, and do only what they did, without adding any man-made doctrine, we will become only what they became - Christians!

This is the goal and plea of those who meet together under the name "church of Christ" today. We only want to be the church you can read about in the Bible.

Christ is the head of the church (Eph. 1:22-23), therefore we have no "headquarters" on Earth that oversees the local congregation, but each congregation goes directly to the Bible to see what should be taught and practiced.

Any church that claims to follow the Bible should not object to such a comparison to scriptures. In fact, they should encourage it!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Sahara Reporter And MFM; A Question Of Privacy By Patrick Okene / Universal God, It's Misconception And Magic Power / A Question For Jehovahs Witnesses And Others: Is Satan Divine?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.