Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,801 members, 7,810,083 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:19 PM

Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) (964 Views)

If Death Is A Ticket To Heaven Why Are So Many Believers Scared Of Dying / "The Lord's Prayer" Is Not For Believers / Honest Questions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by inspiredbyGOD(m): 12:32pm On Jan 16, 2013
Okay, I have a few questions (from the bible) that have been bugging my mind and I need concise answers.
Now concerning the creation story.
Genesis 1 vs 3 - 5
3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light.
4 God saw that the light was good, and he
separated the light from the darkness.
5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called
“night.” And there was evening, and
there was morning—the first day.
I want to know the difference between the "light" being talked about here from the one provided by the sun & moon which were created later.
14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to
separate the day from the night,
and let them serve as signs to mark
sacred times, and days and years,
15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so.
16 God made two great lights—the greater light
to govern the day and the lesser
light to govern the night. He also made the stars.
17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth,
18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light
from darkness. And God saw that it was good.
We all know that there can't be day & night without rotation of the earth around the sun so where did the first light come from?
Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by inspiredbyGOD(m): 12:35pm On Jan 16, 2013
cont'd:
Was woman created from man or were they both created together at the same time?

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created
them;
male and female he created
them.

28 God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in
number; fill the earth and subdue
it. Rule over the fish in the sea and
the birds in the sky and over every
living creature that moves on the
ground.”
Now in chapter 2, it says that only one man was created

7 Then the LORD God formed a man[c] from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the
breath of life, and the man became
a living being.
and in verse 18
18 The LORD God said, “It is not good for the man to be alone. I will
make a helper suitable for him.”
God decided to create a helper for the man

21 So the LORD God caused the man to fall into a deep
sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs[g] and then closed up the place with flesh.
22 Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib[h] he had taken out of the man, and he
brought her to the man. 23 The man said, “This is now bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called ‘woman,’
for she was taken out of man.”
So, which is which?
Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by inspiredbyGOD(m): 12:57pm On Jan 16, 2013
Now on the issue of the fig tree;
matthew 21:18-22

18 Early in the morning, as Jesus was on his way back to the city, he was hungry.
19 Seeing a fig tree by the road, he went up to it but found
nothing on it except leaves. Then he
said to it, “May you never bear fruit
again!” Immediately the tree
withered.

20 When the disciples saw this, they were amazed. “How did the fig
tree wither so quickly?” they asked. 21 Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt,
not only can you do what was done
to the fig tree, but also you can say
to this mountain, ‘Go, throw
yourself into the sea,’ and it will be done. 22 If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in
prayer.”
Now, from this account, we are made to know that the fig tree withered immediately Jesus spoke to it but in mark 11:12-14 & 20-25

12 The next day as they were leaving Bethany, Jesus was hungry.
13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had
any fruit. When he reached it, he
found nothing but leaves, because it
was not the season for figs.
14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you
again.” And his disciples heard him
say it
the fig tree did not immediately wither until the next day

20 In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots. 21 Peter remembered and said to Jesus,
“Rabbi, look! The fig tree you
cursed has withered!”
22 “Have faith in God,” Jesus answered.
23 “Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go,
throw yourself into the sea,’ and
does not doubt in their heart but
believes that what they say will
happen, it will be done for them.
24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that
you have received it, and it will be yours. 25 And when you stand praying, if you hold anything
against anyone, forgive them, so
that your Father in heaven may
forgive you your sins.”
so which is which? Did the fig tree wither immediately or the next day?
Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by inspiredbyGOD(m): 9:40pm On Jan 16, 2013
Answers anyone?
Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by JeSoul(f): 10:37pm On Jan 16, 2013
inspiredbyGOD:.:
Now on the issue of the fig tree;
matthew 21:18-22
Now, from this account, we are made to know that the fig tree withered immediately Jesus spoke to it but in mark 11:12-14 & 20-25
the fig tree did not immediately wither until the next day
so which is which? Did the fig tree wither immediately or the next day?
Interesting questions.

From this link, they take a shot at answering the above question...http://carm.org/bible-difficulties/matthew-mark/did-tree-jesus-cursed-wither-immediately-or-overnight

Did the tree that Jesus cursed wither immediately or overnight?

Matthew 21:19 and Mark 11:14, 20
1.Immediately (Matthew 21:19) - "Seeing a lone fig tree by the road, He came to it and found nothing on it except leaves only; and He said to it, "No longer shall there ever be any fruit from you." And at once the fig tree withered.

2.Overnight (Mark 11:14,20) - "He said to it, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again!" And His disciples were listening. . .20As they were passing by in the morning, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots up."

This "contradiction" is one of the more problematic. If you look at the chart below you will see that that the areas in blue are difficult to reconcile if we look at them in a strictly chronological manner. One answer I have discovered says that Matthew writes thematically, often grouping topics together without a detailed focus on chronology, where Mark does not. In other words, Matthew simply compressed the event to a single instance in order to make the point about the necessity of bearing fruit. Therefore, Matthew's account is not meant to be chronological, but thematic and that it is Mark's account that presents the chronological order. This is certainly a possible solution. However, the weakness of this answer is in Matthew's use of the phrase "at once the fig tree withered" in 21:19. If Matthew's account is not intended to be chronologically precise, that is one thing that I can accept since it does indeed occur in Matthew. But, the phrase which tells us the fig tree withered "at once" is stating it was immediate. This doesn't leave much room for the fig tree to wither overnight. But, if Matthew were compressing the incident, then the immediacy would be evident.

Another possibility is that there are two different fig trees that were cursed. I don't think this is a viable option if you look at the chart below. But it is a possibility.

Yet another possibility is that in Matt. 21:19, it is not said how much the tree withered. It could be that the tree showed immediate signs of withering but had not completely withered. Then, in Mark 11:14,20 the next morning the disciples saw that the tree had withered from the root up. In other words, the withering was complete.

1 Like

Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by Goshen360(m): 10:44pm On Jan 16, 2013
Okay, I have a few questions (from the bible) that have been bugging my mind and I need concise answers.
Now concerning the creation story.
Genesis 1 vs 3 - 5

I want to know the difference between the "light" being talked about here from the one provided by the sun & moon which were created later.
We all know that there can't be day & night without rotation of the earth around the sun so where did the first light come from?

Hello my dear brother,

On the first question,

The answer to your questions are already treated in the past on the forum. You will need to read much, if you can spend some time. Okay. Kindly look at these two threads, therein are your answers FOR YOUR FIRST QUESTION ONLY. I will look into the other questions if I have time or others can also help you out.

https://www.nairaland.com/976020/why-many-even-bible-scholars#11305508

https://www.nairaland.com/949996/which-light-did-god-create/1
Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by Goshen360(m): 10:58pm On Jan 16, 2013
cont'd:
Was woman created from man or were they both created together at the same time?
Now in chapter 2, it says that only one man was created
and in verse 18
God decided to create a helper for the man

So, which is which?

On the second question,

First, you must understand that Genesis has two accounts of creation. One is summary and the other detailed, both complementary to each other. Some people say they're contradictory because they do not understand the details given in each and probably they do not pay attention to details. God ONLY created Adam first. Male and female created He THEM means Eve was IN Adam just like the whole human race was also IN Adam. So when you read phrase like "MALE and FEMALE created He them", you must understand the when one is created and the other is in the one. So when God decided to created the helper was when God brought out the one IN Adam. This verse explains it,

New Living Translation (©2007)
For although the first woman came from man, every other man was born from a woman, and everything comes from God. - 1 Corinthians 11:12

Now, the question is how can a FIRST WOMAN come from man is that man is NOT first created? It means the man existed before the FIRST woman. Therefore, the man will be called the FIRST man (Adam) also. And if the first woman CAME from the man, simply meaning is that this first woman is INSIDE of this man because it says, she was created FROM or OUT OF the man. I was IN my biological father and mother and CAME OUT FROM them but everything from God.

Glory to God!
Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by Goshen360(m): 11:11pm On Jan 16, 2013
Okay my dearest sister JeSoul,

Thanks for giving that third shot question. I do have the NLT newest Chronological Study Bible with many other chronological study Bible and I can agree with the answer given from the article you posted. Chronological order most times have helped me in my studies of God's word.
Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by inspiredbyGOD(m): 11:32am On Jan 17, 2013
Thanks @Jesoul and Goshen360. It's a bit clearer to me now.
Can I ask one more question?
Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by Tgirl4real(f): 11:54am On Jan 17, 2013
I'm also following closely.
Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by Goshen360(m): 2:49pm On Jan 17, 2013

Speak! For thy the servants of God heareth. cool
Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by Tgirl4real(f): 2:55pm On Jan 17, 2013
Goshen360:

what are u feeling like? cool
Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by Goshen360(m): 3:00pm On Jan 17, 2013
Tgirl4real:

what are u feeling like? cool

As in? ....PM me. You might in the Spirit. cool
Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by JeSoul(f): 5:24pm On Jan 17, 2013
Goshen360: Okay my dearest sister JeSoul,

Thanks for giving that third shot question. I do have the NLT newest Chronological Study Bible with many other chronological study Bible and I can agree with the answer given from the article you posted. Chronological order most times have helped me in my studies of God's word.
Brother Goshen smiley
I actually think the 'chronological' answer is not very strong. The "at once" phrase is what I believe makes the answer weak. Or perhaps it may have to do with translation issues?

I find the third answer the most credible - that in Matthew the tree began to wither "at once" and in the account in Mark they note in the morning that it had withered completely.

Ask away sir. And may God give us the grace to properly divide His word.
Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by inspiredbyGOD(m): 5:48pm On Jan 17, 2013
JeSoul:
Ask away sir. And may God give us the grace to properly divide His word.

Goshen360:

okay, lemme just summarise the question.
Who wrote the book of Job and how did the writer know what was going on in heaven as if he/she were there?
Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by JeSoul(f): 6:02pm On Jan 17, 2013
Who wrote the book of Job and how did the writer know what was going on in heaven as if he/she were there?
No one truly knows. There is speculation it was either Moses or Elihu.

Moses because God gave him relevation of the creation story - so perhaps God revealed this to him too?
or Elihu because he narrates the story (the discourse part) from a first-person perspective

one day we will get to ask God these questions. I personally am looking forward to it smiley.
Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by inspiredbyGOD(m): 6:59pm On Jan 17, 2013
JeSoul: No one truly knows. There is speculation it was either Moses or Elihu.

Moses because God gave him relevation of the creation story - so perhaps God revealed this to him too?
or Elihu because he narrates the story (the discourse part) from a first-person perspective

one day we will get to ask God these questions. I personally am looking forward to it smiley.

By that time I wouldn't be interested in asking questions anymore. I would just enjoy my inheritance.
Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by JeSoul(f): 7:27pm On Jan 17, 2013
^lol. Abi oh...cheesy
Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by Image123(m): 12:36am On Jan 18, 2013
thank God my brother and sister dey here. i was looking @some "answer my question or i backslide" scene.

3 Likes

Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by Tgirl4real(f): 7:50am On Jan 18, 2013

okay, lemme just summarise the question.

What do u need the writer of job for? That won't add to your salvation in anyway.

The the first second: by revelation, a vision or something
Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by Tgirl4real(f): 7:51am On Jan 18, 2013
@ Goshen, I PMed u.
Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by inspiredbyGOD(m): 9:30am On Jan 18, 2013
Tgirl4real:

What do u need the writer of job for? That won't add to your salvation in anyway.

The the first second: by revelation, a vision or something
The story potrays God as someone who wants to use man to prove something to the devil. job had 10 children and they were all wiped off like it was nothing and later he had 10 children again. The story is just somehow.
Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by Tgirl4real(f): 11:20am On Jan 18, 2013
The story potrays God as someone who wants to use man to prove something to the devil. job had 10 children and they were all wiped off like it was nothing and later he had 10 children again. The story is just somehow.

My dear, God need not prove anything to the devil, man or angels. He is God. He only used Job as another example of his sovereignty and mercy and that we are nothing before God. He created us, He can use us as he pleases. And when he chooses you, no one can take you away.

Job lost everything and God replenished him in multiple fold. Why not take the lesson and learn to trust him completely.

Btw, why are such stories bothering you?
Re: Honest Questions; Seeking Answers (believers Only) by inspiredbyGOD(m): 4:49pm On Jan 19, 2013
^^^ Not bothered by the story anymore.

(1) (Reply)

Nuts And Bolts Of Spiritual Abuse / Jesus Was Not Good / The Full RAW UNCUT Leaked Video Footage Of Woolwich Attacker.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.