Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,710 members, 7,809,694 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:24 PM

WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? (4000 Views)

Do Somalis,ethiopians And Eritreans Consider Themselves As Whites? / Why Won't Yoruba People Sell You "iyo" (salt) At Night? / What Are Your People (Ethnicity) Known For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by somalia9: 11:50am On Jan 05, 2013
IS IT BECAUSE YOUR FOREFATHERS FORESAW THE CRIMINALITY OF THESE PEOPLE LONG AGO THROUGH VODOO MAGIC?

IF YOUR FOREFATHERS SOLD THEM BASED ON THIS, DID THEY ALSO SEE NIGERIANS AS BECOMING THE NUMBER 1 SCAM ARTISTS IN THE WORLD PER CAPITA?

IF YOU COULD GO BACK IN TIME WOULD YOU CHANGE ANYTHING ABOUT THE HISTORY OF SLAVERY?

THANKS
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by ifyalways(f): 6:02pm On Jan 05, 2013
"Me against my brother, my brother and I against our family, our family against our tribe, our tribe against other tribes, all the tribes against Somalia, and Somalia and Somalis against the world"-Somali Proverb

"Do not trade with a Somali for he deceives , if he comes to your door do not open it, and if he breaks in then pray to God for protection".-Arab saying

"The Somalis are a fierce race of republicans, constantly changing political loyalties-the Somalis lived in what amounted to a state of chronic political schizophrenia, verging on of anarchy."-Sir Richard Burton

"When the Somalis are not attacking foreign and manipulating peoples, they are attacking each other, it’s an innate almost sexual pleasure to do so, but it’s what keeps the Somali occupied"(author unknown)

"The Somali are the most savage of all African savages and are of such of a wild and inhospitable nature that no stranger can possibly live amongst them".- Col. Outram"

In Somali oral history the Hyena is a representation of cowardice and especially a representation of non-Somali peoples who are enemies towards them, while the fox who is a representation of cunning, intelligence, and deceit is important because its a representation of the Somali people".(author unknown)

"As liars the Somalis are unsurpassed. Whether the lie serves any purpose or not is of no consequence. They love lying for its own sake, and, by constant practice, they do it exceedingly cleverly".(author unkown)

"They are great liars, promise much and perform little, unless it suits their interest."-The Gentleman's magazine: Volume 282

#Whachayougonnadoboutit# cheesy

5 Likes

Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by tpia5: 9:31pm On Jan 05, 2013
If i could go back in time, not sure what i could do to change slavery, i'm only one person.
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by tpia5: 11:01pm On Jan 05, 2013
Well, maybe i'd warn them the people they're selling would eventually have descendants of a different colour who would come back to destroy them?

But like i pointed out, no one would listen.
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jan 05, 2013
Stop with the nonsense. Not all African groups trading slaves to European powers. Many were refusing to trade and were fighting BACK.

Some examples...

Ann Nzinga:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ann_Nzinga_Mbande

Samori Ture:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samori_Ture

And African slavery was different from European and Middle Eastern slavery. And I'm pretty sure some groups in modern day Nigeria was against enslavement of their people.
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by Nobody: 11:21pm On Jan 05, 2013
Also EVERYONE in history were slaves, from Africans, Europeans, Asians, Middle Easteners.

People who were enslaved are usual a part of civilization. Those who never been enslaved and are isolated are not a part of civilization and are still a part of the stone age like the Australian Aboriginals were.

Bantu people conquered the Khoisan people. Before the Khoisan people were living in the stone age. After the Bantu people came they brought with them the Iron age and civilization to South Africa. Now Khoisan people make weapons with Iron.

Those who are enslaved or conquered are brought into civilization.
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jan 05, 2013
Most of Europe was a shcit hole during the dark ages. No different than some countries in current day Africa.

It wasn't until they were conquered by the Moors from North Africa. That is when new technologies and better ways of living entered Europe. If it wasn't for the Moors, I doubt there would have been an Age of Exploration.
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by somalia9: 1:15am On Jan 06, 2013
Somalis were never slaves.

Ethiopians were enslaved by Somalis
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by MrsChima(f): 5:15am On Jan 06, 2013
There are many descendents that understand why African slavery happend.... they can say at least I didn't bleeped up for some socks and flipflops

2 Likes

Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by tpia5: 8:12am On Jan 16, 2013
came across an interesting book on the trans atlantic slave trade.

different perceptions of slaves, their regions, colours, etc.
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by Blyss: 4:11pm On Jan 16, 2013
tpia@:
came across an interesting book on the trans atlantic slave trade.

different perceptions of slaves, their regions, colours, etc.

What's it called?
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by StarFlux: 6:21pm On Jan 16, 2013
Somalia9 not knowing his history as always. I do wonder why you aren't banned yet.

Many refused to sell slaves, but I don't expect someone as yourself to know this. I have heard it before, but don't quite remember it in Edo, but there was a saying something similar to this: "what kind of deprivation will make an Edo chief sell his slaves". So Edo people wouldn't even sell slaves which they had captured in war, yet alone their own people. And there are many more who refused.

As amusing as it may be for you, Somalia9, the trolling isn't very funny. Especially for some that may not understand what you're doing, and ends up wasting time on you.

1 Like

Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by Blyss: 8:02pm On Jan 16, 2013
StarFlux: Somalia9 not knowing his history as always. I do wonder why you aren't banned yet.

Many refused to sell slaves, but I don't expect someone as yourself to know this. I have heard it before, but don't quite remember it in Edo, but there was a saying something similar to this: "what kind of deprivation will make an Edo chief sell his slaves". So Edo people wouldn't even sell slaves which they had captured in war, yet alone their own people. And there are many more who refused.

As amusing as it may be for you, Somalia9, the trolling isn't very funny. Especially for some that may not understand what you're doing, and ends up wasting time on you.

Well actually the Benin Kingdom was a notorious source of slaves for the Europeans. It wasn't till the Atlantic Slave trade that the Kingdom actually obtained it's most substantial level of wealth and power with in it's whole 1000 year history.
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by StarFlux: 8:35pm On Jan 16, 2013
Blyss:

Well actually the Benin Kingdom was a notorious source of slaves for the Europeans. It wasn't till the Atlantic Slave trade that the Kingdom actually obtained it's most substantial level of wealth and power with in it's whole 1000 year history.
Interesting, but that's not what I've heard.

I know there was slave trade in area, but don't think the Oba and his chiefs actually willingly engaged in such. Of course they couldn't control such a vast area. I really don't think slave trade had anything to do with Benin's wealth. There was a lot of trading going on, but not in slaves. Though I'm open for being corrected.
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by PhysicsQED(m): 8:50pm On Jan 16, 2013
Blyss:

Benin was already making frequent war on its neighbors when the Europeans showed up. That's what they (the European writers) said. How can they have been making war on their neighbors without any substantial "wealth and power"?

Also, archeological finds (some of the art work) at Owo from the 15th century show that Benin's influence had already spread northward before European contact, confirming the traditions recorded about Oba Ewuare's expansion of Benin's power in his time.

In addition, the kingdom restricted its sale of slaves in the early 16th century (early 1500s) heavily after only a few decades of contact with the Portuguese, after which point the kingdom ceased to be a significant source of slaves. The slave trade was not significant at any time afterward, and throughout the kingdom's history it was never a really major factor as there was lots of other trade (in cloth, pepper, ivory, palm oil etc.) that was carried on with neighboring groups and with Europeans. Even the plan of a French trader, a certain captain Landolphe, to buy 3000 slaves a year from the Benin and Itsekiri areas in the late 1700s, completely fell apart and was never realized - even though it could easily have been during that period (when Benin was not in decline, and was actually doing better) if Benin was so interested in the slave trade at that point. See the article "The Slave Trade, Depopulation and Human Sacrifice in Benin History" by James Graham for an overview of Benin's minor involvement with the African-European slave trade over the course of its history.

And the claim about keeping large amounts of slaves within Benin and refusing to sell them also comes from European visitors who made that observation. I doubt that that practice could have applied to all people within Benin at all times, but you should know that it is a statement that was confirmed by actual witnesses from those times.

1 Like

Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by Blyss: 9:31pm On Jan 16, 2013
PhysicsQED:

Benin was already making frequent war on its neighbors when the Europeans showed up. That's what they (the European writers) said. How can they have been making war on their neighbors without any substantial "wealth and power"?

Also, archeological finds (some of the art work) at Owo from the 15th century show that Benin's influence had already spread northward before European contact, confirming the traditions recorded about Oba Ewuare's expansion of Benin's power in his time.

In addition, the kingdom restricted its sale of slaves in the early 16th century (early 1500s) heavily after only a few decades of contact with the Portuguese, after which point the kingdom ceased to be a significant source of slaves. The slave trade was not significant at any time afterward, and throughout the kingdom's history it was never a really major factor as there was lots of other trade (in cloth, pepper, ivory, palm oil etc.) that was carried on with neighboring groups and with Europeans. Even the plan of a French trader, a certain captain Landolphe, to buy 3000 slaves a year from the Benin and Itsekiri areas in the late 1700s, completely fell apart and was never realized - even though it could easily have been during that period (when Benin was not in decline, and was actually doing better) if Benin was so interested in the slave trade at that point. See the article "The Slave Trade, Depopulation and Human Sacrifice in Benin History" by James Graham for an overview of Benin's minor involvement with the African-European slave trade over the course of its history.

And the claim about keeping large amounts of slaves within Benin and refusing to sell them also comes from European visitors who made that observation. I doubt that that practice could have applied to all people within Benin at all times, but you should know that it is a statement that was confirmed by actual witnesses from those times.

Nice and rather accurate, but it doesn't dispute the fact of the matter in which I was addressing. StarFlux stated "So Edo people wouldn't even sell slaves which they had captured in war, yet alone their own people. And there are many more who refused", and my response was simply disproving that statement.
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by PhysicsQED(m): 9:43pm On Jan 16, 2013
Your response seemed to involve a bit more than just disagreeing with his statement though and that's why I commented as I did. Regarding Starflux's comment, it seems true that Benin didn't sell their own people or keep their own people as slaves, from available written evidence (from Nyendael, Landolphe, and other sources which comment specifically on this) from foreigners and from Edo tradition, but I think the statement that Benin didn't sell those captured in war to Europeans is indeed not completely accurate since it did happen for brief periods, before they restricted such sales and then let such trade fall off completely.

1 Like

Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by StarFlux: 10:01pm On Jan 16, 2013
Well, the response wasn't in style with my statement whatsoever.

Also, very informative PhysicsQED!
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by Blyss: 11:55pm On Jan 16, 2013
StarFlux: Well, the response wasn't in style with my statement whatsoever.

Also, very informative PhysicsQED!

The response was direct and to the point in my opinion.
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by StarFlux: 12:00am On Jan 17, 2013
My reply was based around a saying. It also is mostly true.

Notorious is a bit extreme don't you think? Anyway, if I was partly wrong, then no problem at all. Glad to learn new things!
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by tpia5: 9:48am On Jan 17, 2013
name of the book:

the transatlantic slave trade.
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by NRIPRIEST(m): 2:24pm On Jan 17, 2013
The sacred Nri kigdom never sold slaves. It was an abomination in our land to sell your fellow human being and the penalty is death! Nri kingdom was a safe haven for run away slaves and people who has been rejected and forsaken by their communities,though they were innocent. They were cleansed by the Eze Nri and their bondage and curses broken in the holy land where evil is a stranger. African American are still visiting Nri today for cleansing and restoration.
Our people were very wise and rejected evil practices,little wonder Omanbala people are so blessed.

Aro,Bini,Oyo,Ijaw na ndi nini lelu mmadu ga akwugbado ugwia....umu akagbe!
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by PhysicsQED(m): 1:46am On Jan 18, 2013
Nri Priest

Even if Nri was not in the business of selling slaves to outsiders, it seems they either bought them or acquired them in some other way. M.D.W. Jeffreys was informed about a Nri practice in the past in which a slave was sacrificed at a coronation ceremony when he visited in the 1930s. It seems that, having no contact with Europeans until colonial times, Nri was not directly involved in the transatlantic slave trade. But on the issue of having slaves, even if one ignores what Jeffreys wrote (assuming that he was misinformed), one of the foundational Nri myths/legends involved the sacrifice of a male slave and a female slave by the first Eze Nri. Why would that story about the founder of the kingdom have been repeated and preserved if such things were viewed as an abomination?
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by StarFlux: 6:12am On Jan 18, 2013
Nvm, a bit off-topic.
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by odumchi: 6:31am On Jan 21, 2013
We didn't sell slaves to the Europeans.
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:19pm On Jan 21, 2013
Africans never sold members of their OWN tribe. they sold out POWs from other tribes. Each tribe sees other tribes as foreigners. even now , though i love all tribespeople, i will obviously only see Hausas as my people, and to me , a Zulu tribesman is no different from a Tribesman from say, Papua New Guinea or South America.

anywayz our slave trade was never incited by a superiority complex or viewing other races as iferior. it was just base tribal warfare.

1 Like

Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by Blyss: 7:51pm On Jan 21, 2013
somalia9: Somalis were never slaves.

Ethiopians were enslaved by Somalis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aaTg9xQ ... re=related
" He(king Saud) drove into the camp with this big black chrisler sedan, with these two big black somalian slaves with rifles"
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by somalia9: 8:33am On Jan 26, 2013
Blyss:

video doesnt even exist....by the way...am trolling on a new account....this account gets banned too much.
Re: WHY DID YOUR PEOPLE SELL SLAVES TO WHITES? by Dede1(m): 3:53pm On Jan 26, 2013
@OP

The same reason dirty Somalis sold their sons and daughters to Arabs and Indians.

(1) (Reply)

55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles / African Traditional Outfit! / Igbo Folktale: Mbe Na Chukwu Mara Aka!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.