Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,182 members, 7,821,993 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? (2974 Views)

Parent's Reply To A Teacher's Comment On Child's School Report Card / See How A Teacher Brutalised His Student / Photo: See A Teacher's Resignation Letter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Consultant(f): 11:45pm On Apr 27, 2006
Okay,

I'm a management consultant by profession but a teacher at heart. A lot of negative things have been said about Nigeria's education system. I'm creating this thread so we can talk about the few bright lights that still exist in our school system. Here's mine:

In my secondary school, French was a compulsory subject in JSS. However, for your JSS 3 exams, you were allowed to drop two subjects and 99% of the school always dropped French and Music. I was part of the 99% who was going to drop French until i got a new French teacher in my JSS3. Her name was Mme Adegbilero and she was soooooo good! Not only was she a great teacher, she treated us like her own children. She could be very strict but she would never raise her voice. All of a sudden i was in love with the French language, and i ended up taking it not just for my JSS exams, but also in my SSCE. She's one teacher i will never forget.

So, does anyone have any such good experiences with teachers?
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by hotangel2(f): 11:58pm On Apr 27, 2006
Mine has got to be My math teacher also in JSS3. I hated math so much that i wished it was part of the subjects we could drop.

Mr Segun (The most wicked man in the whole school, okay aprt from Mr fred), was to be our math teacher, I hated him so much, but after he built some "sickness houses" in my body ---- "o ko ile arun si mi lare", My head correct kia kia -- Ori mi pe, and i loved math.

I like him now because, if he hadnt done his teaching the way he did, i wouldnt be making A's in maths now. He was caring, but didn't hesistate to Beat the shiit out of you. The section i love most in math but for some weird reason we never touched in college math is "construction", using compasses and stuffs.

I guess he's one teacher who inspired me. His kind of inspiration is something i don't know, but i still talk to him up till date. I'm like, "do u remember when u beat me and my hand swoll up? He'll say "yeah, u were slacking on "compund interest". cheesy cheesy
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Seun(m): 10:30am On Apr 28, 2006
He was caring, but didn't hesistate to beat the rubbish out of you
Perhaps that is what your future husband will be like? Beating you up in a 'care\ing' way?

I have only been inspired by one teacher. He was our chemistry teacher for a short period in Senior Secondary School. Mr Fodeke. He arranged practical classes for interested students after school hours. All we had to do was ask. He would even go to the workshop to fabricate missing lab equipment for us.
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Zahymaka(m): 6:01pm On Apr 28, 2006
The teacher I admired ws Mr Udoh, my Math / Further Maths teacher. His kind of teaching was such that all Further Maths students made A1s [>90] in Math, but flunked F Maths -- that is, except my friend Tope.

I still remember one test. It was graded /15. Tope had 14/15, the next person 6, then 3, 2 [lots of us], and 1. Plenty of "okpondos".

He gave us the option of retaking the test. I refused but most of the class did it. It turned out the highes was Tope again with 1.5. The rest of the class had either 0.5 or 1.

For our SSCE, that was when we showed the stuff. I did my Maths paper without a calculator and had an A1. I also had an A1 in F Maths. 90% of the class had an A1 -- that's to show you the stuff we were made of cheesy
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Consultant(f): 6:17pm On Apr 28, 2006
For our SSCE, that was when we showed the stuff. I did my Maths paper without a calculator and had an A1. I also had an A1 in F Maths.

Hmm Zahymaka,

That's some accomplishment there, i'm proud of you. sorry i get excited when people do well academically.. What are you studying now? Anything Math related?

I'm like,  "do u remember when u beat me and my hand swoll up? He'll say "yeah, u were slacking on "compund interest". 

That sounds like my father beating the pythagoras theorem into me, and i was still in primary school then! cry I can't complain now though, because i owe my academic success to him.
Let's have more comments please.
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Zahymaka(m): 6:20pm On Apr 28, 2006
Computer Science. Maybe you can check http://azuka.zatechcorp.com/about-me/
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by koloman(m): 7:47pm On Apr 28, 2006
this is a nice topic
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Seun(m): 8:01pm On Apr 28, 2006
I'm sick and tired of this masochistic attitudes. "my teacher used to beat me mercilessly and i owe my success to him". Then when we are talking about men hitting their girlfriends you'll be complaining. Why won't they hit you when it seems to make you love them more. Nonsense. angry

In school I was at the top of my class for some years and I do not owe it to any stupid beating. When I failed french in JSS1, my father simply got me a (non-beating) lesson teacher and it eventually became one of my best subjects (in JSS3, I actually chose french instead of CRK when given the opportunity). Perhaps the other students were being beaten mercilessly at home, but I was cane-free and I was out-performing them.

So please stop this nonsense. If I have time to spend with any child, I can make him/her a hardworking student without raising a cane. I wish i studied Psychology; I'd be able to explain better. You people are killing me!
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by debosky(m): 9:01pm On Apr 28, 2006
Nwoke the bible says 'there is foolishness in the heart of a child, only good discipline will drive it out' i guess thats what most of these teachers did for the pple who have posted in this thread. Mine isn't much different, had a math teacher Uncle Fred, he taught math in the most interesting way possible, heck i remember some of the songs he taught us for remembering logarithms, solving quadratic equations, etc. Maybe he went overboard at times, he once threw a stool down the corridor when he was passing, all the students ran back into theri classes pronto!
He's definitely the reason i cleaned up my act in secondary school, without him might 've probably ended up being a road side mechanic. He died a few years ago in a motor accident cry the man was a legend.
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Consultant(f): 9:05pm On Apr 28, 2006
Seun,

Stop hyperventilating! cheesy

I'm not in any way promoting masochism, in fact i would never teach my children that way because my dad and i still have issues till date. It was meant to be a joke but i have to admit, i do owe my academic success to him. Despite his faults, i appreciate the way he took time to teach us when we were younger.
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by IAH(f): 9:35pm On Apr 28, 2006
My Physics teacher- Mr (or Pastor) Fadare. I love him. kiss He's a very good teacher. Infact, he still came to look for me in school when I entered my former Uni. And yes, he did beat me when I was fighting with my naughty friend. angry I guess he was disappointed that I could be fighting. Then other times he beat me were times when he was doing general beating i.e beating the whole class for our joint sins. cheesy Of course, he couldn't leave me out.

Another favorite is my Economics teacher - Mr Olagoke. Always using me as example in his class. Like one day he was asking how many children we want to have and everybody was saying 2, 2, 2. He now said he doesn't think I will have only 2 children that after having 5 kids, I will still tell my husband *he changed his voice to a tiny one* "Honey, I think we should have more kids". cheesy

Speaking of my worst teacher, it has to be my CRS teacher in JSS. I hate her because she curses a lot. What's her name again? Thirty-something years old and still single. Who will marry wicked lady?  angry angry
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by hotangel2(f): 9:56pm On Apr 28, 2006
Ohh Nwoke, stop being sooo "what's the word". This kind of beating is a beating u get because well, u pay them to beat you!. I wont pay my husband to beat me. Infact don't compare this to husband beating wives. It's soo not the same topic.

I love my econs (economics) teacher too. Like duhhh, we played alot, he was a copper and he always comes to our house. More like my brother, Infact in class, u'd think he's my brother. He's like "yetunde this, yetunde that". We still talk and he inspired me. If i was studying in nigeria, i would prolly be doing econs because he made me love demand, supply and all those ish. lol

My worst teacher who prolly inspired me never to like him. Mallam shuaibu. The worst chemistry teacher anyone can get. If not for ababio, i wouldn't make P8 in that class, i'd make F9!! cheesy cheesy Okay that's not true, i just tot i should be funny. If not for ababio, i wouldn't make A3 in that class. , i'd make F9. I mean this man knows his stuff, he just don't know how to TEACH IT! He gets confused and start acting like an ass.

I also love my CRS teacher, Mr moses. Ohh bless he soul (he's not dead oo), he was faithful. A1 in CRS, I knew the whole beatitudes because of his class, the whole temptation and wwat Jesus told satan, all of the miracles, and whatnot.

haha, memories (i know it's just approximately 2 years, but hey, they r still memories).
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Seun(m): 9:44pm On May 23, 2006
Consultant:
Seun,

Stop hyperventilating! cheesy
Ok, I will take deep breaths. Uhhh, Ahhh, Uhhh, Ahhh.
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Consultant(f): 6:34pm On May 24, 2006
Ok, I will take deep breaths. Uhhh, Ahhh, Uhhh, Ahhh

That's a good boy grin

On a separate note, thanks for advertising my site.
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Genial(m): 9:46pm On May 27, 2006
Zahymaka:

The teacher I admired ws Mr Udoh, my Math / Further Maths teacher. His kind of teaching was such that all Further Maths students made A1s [>90] in Math, but flunked F Maths -- that is, except my friend Tope.

I still remember one test. It was graded /15. Tope had 14/15, the next person 6, then 3, 2 [lots of us], and 1. Plenty of "okpondos".

He gave us the option of retaking the test. I refused but most of the class did it. It turned out the highes was Tope again with 1.5. The rest of the class had either 0.5 or 1.

For our SSCE, that was when we showed the stuff. I did my Maths paper without a calculator and had an A1. I also had an A1 in F Maths. 90% of the class had an A1 -- that's to show you the stuff we were made of cheesy

Ah! So you knew Mr Udoh, Zahymaka? I kind of assumed he'd left the school. . . . 1997 seems kind of long ago.

The man sure worked wonders with me as well - your story sounds really familiar. Before I met Mr Udoh I was paralyzed with apprehension each time I was to have a maths lesson or test. Needless to say, I flunked maths very often. F/Maths was another story altogether.

But after Mr Udoh taught me, I became one of the best Maths and F.Maths students (I actually represented the school at one time in a Maths Olympiad). I also had A1 in Maths - I was ill during the exam and had to leave the exam hall at one stage to throw up, didn't write till the end (wasn't bothered to even read over, I was that good!). Had A1 in F maths - solving Fmaths was one way we used to keep ourselves awake at night while reading for other subjects!

Those good old days. . . *getting all mushy, blows his nose. . .*
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Zahymaka(m): 10:09pm On May 27, 2006
Genial, did you also know Mr Raphael [Physics]?
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Genial(m): 10:13pm On May 27, 2006
Of course I did! Is he still there? He taught, as well as Mr Merengini and Mr Kayode!
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Zahymaka(m): 10:14pm On May 27, 2006
That guy hardened me to Physics. I never scored higher than 60% but after him, Mr Kayode was like pure water [as we used to say]! grin grin

Sadly, he left sad sad sad.
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Rhodalyn(f): 10:14pm On May 27, 2006
and Mr. Nutakor and Mr. Adasi grin
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Nobody: 10:15pm On May 27, 2006
my best ever teacher was Mr. Ayanwu, he came as a corp member to our school in 1995 and has never left till today. most of the guys my set owe all our academic achievements to him till today. The guy took us maths and F. maths and for the first time in history, from SS1 to SS3 i never scored less than 90% in all maths tests. I remember a friend scored 99% in F.maths and his father brought him to school to complain!  grin on why his son scored so high!

As for Mr. Ayanwu AKA oscar! there was no break for his favorite students (of which urs sincerely was a proud member), we were a group of 6 or 7 guys and we'd have to return either to school or one camp EVERY vacation to study maths, chem, bio and phys! We had only 2 weeks break a year and ur parents were so pleased!
I took my SSCE in SS2 and had 5 A1's and 2 credits. By the time we got to SS2, we had finished the entire sylabus for maths, bio and phys! I remember either sleeping or working in the phys lab during maths classes. The guy used my home lesson notes to teach maths and physics in class!

I wrote the final SSCE for fun, my other friend had already gained admission to Unilag well before my other mates got their SSCE results!

Sec school was to lay the foundation for what i am today and i owe it all first to God and to those set of guys led by oscar who pushed us to the very limits of our intellectual capacity! Through them i learnt NEVER to say, i can't!
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Genial(m): 10:17pm On May 27, 2006
Rhodalyn:

and Mr. Nutakor and Mr. Adasi grin

tongue tongue

grin
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Rhodalyn(f): 10:20pm On May 27, 2006
lol cheesy

do U also remember Mr. Anane and Mr. Kposu?? cheesy
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Genial(m): 10:21pm On May 27, 2006
Zahymaka:

That guy hardened me to Physics. I never scored higher than 60% but after him, Mr Kayode was like pure water [as we used to say]! grin grin

Sadly, he left sad sad sad.

Too bad he left. Those men (and women) made us the pride of our peers. I owe it to them, to some extent, that I made it to JETS. Before then, I wouldn't bet with you on my scoring up to 60% in Maths or F.Maths. I was better in Physics, but they helped my confidence. . . .
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Genial(m): 10:22pm On May 27, 2006
Rhodalyn:

lol cheesy

do U also remember Mr. Anane and Mr. Kposu?? cheesy

Lol. These names sound Ghanaian (is that the correct expression?). Are you Ghanaian?
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Rhodalyn(f): 10:24pm On May 27, 2006
!! YeS! cheesy how did U Guess mennnnnn some smart guy U are shocked kiss kiss
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Zahymaka(m): 10:25pm On May 27, 2006
Who taught you chemo, Genial? Mr Ajayi taught my class from SS1 to 3. Was Rogo around then?
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Genial(m): 10:26pm On May 27, 2006
Rhodalyn:

!! YeS! cheesy how did U Guess mennnnnn some smart guy U are shocked kiss kiss

smiley smiley

Thanks for telling me. grin grin
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Genial(m): 10:27pm On May 27, 2006
Zahymaka:

Who taught you chemo, Genial? Mr Ajayi taught my class from SS1 to 3. Was Rogo around then?

Mr Ajayi taught me as well. But Rogo. . . ? I'm not familiar with the name.
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Genial(m): 10:32pm On May 27, 2006
See you tomorrow guys. I've got to turn in now, got stuff to do.

Zahymaka, I find this really interesting. May we continue this discussion later?

smiley
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Rhodalyn(f): 10:38pm On May 27, 2006
Genial:

smiley smiley

Thanks for telling me. grin grin
lol cheesy U tricked me! cheesy cheesy anywayz i guessed U might have seen me mention it somewhere tongue
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Genial(m): 7:07pm On May 28, 2006
No, I didn't trick you! It was a genuine question - the names do sound Ghanaian!

But I think I read somewhere on a thread where you were 'also from Sikaman'! grin
Re: Have You Ever Had A Teacher Who Inspired You? by Oracle(m): 3:56am On May 29, 2006
yeah,
actually it was my English Teacher he was then a corper in our skool
he really encourage, inspired, taught and helped me and i came out successful.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Free University Admission In Europe / Is It True That Shell Scholarship Award Winners For The 2011/2012 Session 's Out? / Jamb Function As An Examination Board

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.