Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,600 members, 7,823,608 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:19 PM

King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine (15494 Views)

Korede Bello With King Sunny Ade [PICS] / Flavour's Guitarist Fiokee's Car Robbed In Lekki (photo) / Sunny Ade Wins N500m Copyright Suit 30 Years Later (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by nyabingi(m): 11:15am On Jan 14, 2013
Some days ago there was news about a certain ex band member of King Sunny Ade who was apprehended with drugs at the Airport. Nairalanders contributed so much on that topic that it got to an extent where some even accused the king of knowing something about the trade
but there is an update from the King himself!!!

King Sunny Ade's ex-guitarist, 62year old Fatoke Abiodun (left) was arrested on Tuesday January 1 2013 at MMIA with 1.575kg of cocaine as he attempted to leave Nigeria. Fatoke said he turned to drugs after he was unceremoniously retired in 2007 without severance pay after playing with KSA for 30 years.

King Sunny Ade has finally reacted, saying his former guitarist was not a member of staff of his company but just a member of his band, who was not entitled to a severance pay.

KSA speaking to the PUNCH said, “I pay salaries to the members of staff of my company. As for my band members, we share money based on what we make at every show where we perform. I would first of all, remove the money for taxes, equipment we used and other stuff connected to the performance. Thereafter, the remaining money is shared among all of us. Before now, I advised my band members that we should have a common purse, where we should leave money for welfare. But they refused and insisted that everything should be shared.

“If he and the others had agreed to my advice then, he wouldn’t have had any reason to say he didn’t get any severance allowance,”

On why he retired Abiodun, KSA says he changes his band members every three years in order to be current and follow the trend.

“But he worked for me for 30 years. Those who have even worked for me for two years are so well off now. How can he say he didn’t have anything after 30 years? Are those there now complaining?
“And to set the records straight, I didn’t sack him, he left on his own. We came back from an international show and he told me he wanted to start his own band and said I should assist him.
“Before I knew what was happening, he went to Ibadan with my guitar without my knowledge in order to start his own band. I told him to return my guitar and when he didn’t, I had to involve the police. That was how he left,” KSA added.
He said he had not seen Abiodun since he left his band in 2007.

“Anybody who is involved in any crime has it in him. It is not proper for anybody to say that it was a condition that led him to a crime. He was among those in the high category in my band. It is surprising that he claimed he had nothing. I have never seen or heard from him since he left my band.

“In the 30 years he worked for me, he never exhibited such criminal attitude. I am always concerned about the people traveling with me. I make sure we all travel light and get whatever we need for the performance in the country we are going.

“I have never seen cocaine. I don’t smoke, I don’t drink and we are always checked thoroughly at the airport here and at the airport over there,” he said.

Source: PUNCH

1 Like

Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by Chanchit: 11:51am On Jan 14, 2013
I knew the man was saying rubbish, cos I currently play with a juju band too as a guitarist, and I can confirm that everything KSA jst said is true, thats how its been done, it is pay as you go, u can't xpect me to pay u when u've refused to save for the rainy days.

4 Likes

Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jan 14, 2013
sh.itttt... Am d 3rd man.. Dancing antenna, she dy do me wayo o
Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by Afam4eva(m): 1:51pm On Jan 14, 2013
Well said KSA.
Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by ariyebaba(m): 1:51pm On Jan 14, 2013
ok !
Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by maclatunji: 1:52pm On Jan 14, 2013
Chanchit: I knew the man was saying rubbish, cos I currently play with a juju band too as a guitarist, and I can confirm that everything KSA jst said is true, thats how its been done, it is pay as you go, u can't xpect me to pay u when u've refused to save for the rainy days.

Interesting. How is life as a musician?
Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by Demdem(m): 1:53pm On Jan 14, 2013
Well said KSA.
Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by Demdem(m): 1:54pm On Jan 14, 2013
maclatunji:

believe me, those guys makes money. happy for them.
Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by jhydebaba(m): 1:55pm On Jan 14, 2013
We are all thieves, anyone caught is 'barawo'. No one will identify with a criminal.

3 Likes

Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by dridowu: 1:55pm On Jan 14, 2013
KSA, LOVE HIS MUSIC
Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by ssainty(m): 1:56pm On Jan 14, 2013
just driving by...wat is my position somebody?
Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by gunuvi(m): 1:57pm On Jan 14, 2013
No we know the man needs the money to buy instrument so he can compete with ksa. That's what betraying and jealousy causes.
Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by LagosBoi2(m): 2:00pm On Jan 14, 2013
baba ni yen
Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by Chanchit: 2:03pm On Jan 14, 2013
maclatunji:

Its been fun playing with the band, but the genre of music I really do is soul/alternative rock, and we will start recording very soon.
Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by Afam4eva(m): 2:05pm On Jan 14, 2013
Chanchit:

Its been fun playing with the band, but the genre of music I really do is soul/alternative rock, and we will start recording very soon.
So, you're even a musician.
Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by kulikuli26: 2:14pm On Jan 14, 2013
its obvious the man was just looking for an excuse to win sympathy from masses by dragging KSA into it, if u have worked for 30yrs and all u cld do was to marry several wives with ur pay while workin, i dont think he shd blame anybody for his misfortune.That is the problem with some of us,we forget to save for the future, always wanting to spend it all, even the Bible say "Only a FOOL spends it all". when u are workin and active, one should live a responsible life by saving for the future, train the children in a way they can be responsible and sufficient for themselves so that even when they are married, u will not be paying their bills. then u can live a peaceful and glorious life.

5 Likes

Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by movmentish(m): 2:18pm On Jan 14, 2013
Afam4eva:
Afam......this statement can kill a dream before you even start sleeping
Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by tomakint: 2:22pm On Jan 14, 2013
The King has finally spoken the REAL TRUTH!!! Long Live the 'King of Music' may you continue to shine and shine KSA!!!
Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by lightheart(m): 2:28pm On Jan 14, 2013
movmentish:
Afam......this statement can kill a dream before you even start sleeping

Depends on how you read the statement. Wanna re-read again, sir?
Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by datola: 2:45pm On Jan 14, 2013
gunuvi: No we know the man needs the money to buy instrument so he can compete with ksa. That's what betraying and jealousy causes.

This is a serious issue with most Nigerian employees. They want to always outsmart their masters, not wanting to be patient, always looking for how another man's sweat becomes theirs. KSA has come out clean on this matter.
Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by datola: 2:53pm On Jan 14, 2013
jhydebaba: We are all thieves, anyone caught is 'barawo'. No one will identify with a criminal.

We are not all thieves. You are a thief with so many others!

3 Likes

Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by vocalprince(m): 2:56pm On Jan 14, 2013
I had similar experience with 1 of my bass guitarist. He wanted me to be paying him 15k per show, when I refused and insisted on 10k, he left my group to form his own group. But when things took another dimension, he started pleading for me to take him back but I refused cus U cant eat your cake and have it again. Dat man is just one of them ingrates and Should leave KSA alone. WHAT A CRIMINAL!
Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by UNLEASHED(m): 2:56pm On Jan 14, 2013
So member of staff is different from member of band? Who are the staffs and who are the bands?
I think there's a lot we still don't know about the music industry in Nigeria.
Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by DidiLove1: 2:56pm On Jan 14, 2013

No, he's a snake charmer!

4 Likes

Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by Nobody: 2:57pm On Jan 14, 2013
Didi Love:

No, he's a snake charmer!

ROTFLMAO cheesy
Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by vislabraye(m): 2:59pm On Jan 14, 2013
datola:

We are not all thieves. You are a thief with so many others!

Abeg tell am jare.

There are always two sides to a story

1 Like

Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by soyad: 3:01pm On Jan 14, 2013
Always save for the raining day .
Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by Jarus(m): 3:01pm On Jan 14, 2013
KSA sounds more convincing. And in any case, even maltreatment is never an excuse for crime.

1 Like

Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by Bolt2011(m): 3:04pm On Jan 14, 2013
In the first place, must the guy be linked to KSA. Does he not have his own name. For God's sake, the drug-pusher is above 18, let him answer for himself. He no longer works for KSA PERiOD!!!

1 Like

Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by IYANGBALI: 3:16pm On Jan 14, 2013
The man speak,KSA spoke,it is time for us to spark

1 Like

Re: King Sunny Ade Opens-up About Ex-guitarist Caught With Cocaine by Natudu: 3:38pm On Jan 14, 2013
Good explanation.

(1) (2) (Reply)

‘I Have No Problem With My Ex-wife Toyin Aimakhu’ -adeniyi Johnson / Show Promoter Kogbagidi Assaults Follower For Disrespecting Him / I Was violated At 13 By My Aunt - Ice Prince

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.