Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,375 members, 7,954,517 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:55 PM

Medical Science Proves That Speaking In Tongues Is From The Holy Spirit - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Medical Science Proves That Speaking In Tongues Is From The Holy Spirit (1690 Views)

SCIENTIFIC Proof That Speaking In Tongues Is Real!! / Speaking In Tongues: Is It Real Language Or Garrulous Babble? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medical Science Proves That Speaking In Tongues Is From The Holy Spirit by Yooguyz: 3:22pm On Jan 14, 2013
While many christian denominations deny the experience, scientists have already accepted it, and are doing brain scans, showing chemical changes. They find this is believable, even when some christians do not. This is a strange twist of circumstances, since usually science will try to oppose religion.
A scientist named Dr Andrew Newberg used a type of brain imaging called SPECT to compare blood flow differences in the brain between when participants were singing hymns and when they were speaking in tongues, they found out that when participant where speaking in tongues compared to when they were singing, there was a decrease in activity in the prefrontal cortex, the tip of the left temporal lobe and a deep brain structure called the caudate nucleus.
Although brain areas are known to have multiple functions, the pre frontal cortex is known to be involved in cognitive control, while the left temporal pole is associated with naming and the caudate nucleus has been associated with the ABILITY TO SWITCH BETWEEN MULTIPLE LANGUAGES.
The authors suggest that THESE FINDINGS MAY INDICATE A LOOSENING OF CONTROL OVER LANGUAGE FUNCTIONS IN THE BRAIN, POTENTIALLY LEADING TO THE PRODUCTION OF APPARENTLY UNSTRUCTURED LANGUAGE THAT THE PARTICIPANTS EXPERIECE AS OUTSIDE THEIR CONTROL.

www.nytimes.com/2006/11/07/health/07brain.html
Re: Medical Science Proves That Speaking In Tongues Is From The Holy Spirit by JeSoul(f): 3:34pm On Jan 14, 2013
*looks left, looks right* Yooguyz, who be your honey for here? cheesy

@topic, interesting (old though, from 2006)

A Neuroscientific Look at Speaking in Tongues

The passionate, sometimes rhythmic, language-like patter that pours forth from religious people who “speak in tongues” reflects a state of mental possession, many of them say. Now they have some neuroscience to back them up.

Researchers at the University of Pennsylvania took brain images of five women while they spoke in tongues and found that their frontal lobes — the thinking, willful part of the brain through which people control what they do — were relatively quiet, as were the language centers. The regions involved in maintaining self-consciousness were active. The women were not in blind trances, and it was unclear which region was driving the behavior.

The images, appearing in the current issue of the journal Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging, pinpoint the most active areas of the brain. The images are the first of their kind taken during this spoken religious practice, which has roots in the Old and New Testaments and in Pentecostal churches established in the early 1900s. The women in the study were healthy, active churchgoers.

“The amazing thing was how the images supported people’s interpretation of what was happening,” said Dr. Andrew B. Newberg, leader of the study team, which included Donna Morgan, Nancy Wintering and Mark Waldman. “The way they describe it, and what they believe, is that God is talking through them,” he said.

Dr. Newberg is also a co-author of “Why We Believe What We Believe.”

In the study, the researchers used imaging techniques to track changes in blood flow in each woman’s brain in two conditions, once as she sang a gospel song and again while speaking in tongues. By comparing the patterns created by these two emotional, devotional activities, the researchers could pinpoint blood-flow peaks and valleys unique to speaking in tongues.

Ms. Morgan, a co-author of the study, was also a research subject. She is a born-again Christian who says she considers the ability to speak in tongues a gift. “You’re aware of your surroundings,” she said. “You’re not really out of control. But you have no control over what’s happening. You’re just flowing. You’re in a realm of peace and comfort, and it’s a fantastic feeling.”

Contrary to what may be a common perception, studies suggest that people who speak in tongues rarely suffer from mental problems. A recent study of nearly 1,000 evangelical Christians in England found that those who engaged in the practice were more emotionally stable than those who did not. Researchers have identified at least two forms of the practice, one ecstatic and frenzied, the other subdued and nearly silent.

The new findings contrasted sharply with images taken of other spiritually inspired mental states like meditation, which is often a highly focused mental exercise, activating the frontal lobes.

The scans also showed a dip in the activity of a region called the left caudate. “The findings from the frontal lobes are very clear, and make sense, but the caudate is usually active when you have positive affect, pleasure, positive emotions,” said Dr. James A. Coan, a psychologist at the University of Virginia. “So it’s not so clear what that finding says” about speaking in tongues.

The caudate area is also involved in motor and emotional control, Dr. Newberg said, so it may be that practitioners, while mindful of their circumstances, nonetheless cede some control over their bodies and emotions.

Correction: Nov. 11, 2006

An article in Science Times on Tuesday about brain images of people speaking in tongues misstated the origins of the practice in America. It is thought to have begun in Pentecostal churches established in the early 1900s, not in charismatic churches. The charismatic movement began decades later.
Re: Medical Science Proves That Speaking In Tongues Is From The Holy Spirit by Nobody: 3:40pm On Jan 14, 2013
Una don post this controversial topic again..toh me i no dey o..but i thank God i speak in Tongues privately sha
Re: Medical Science Proves That Speaking In Tongues Is From The Holy Spirit by Yooguyz: 7:24pm On Jan 15, 2013
Bidam: Una don post this controversial topic again..toh me i no dey o..but i thank God i speak in Tongues privately sha
you do? That's good!
Re: Medical Science Proves That Speaking In Tongues Is From The Holy Spirit by Yooguyz: 9:29pm On Jan 17, 2013
Logicboy what did you mean to say?
Re: Medical Science Proves That Speaking In Tongues Is From The Holy Spirit by Yooguyz: 1:58pm On Apr 25, 2013
can any science person help in explaining some of the jargons there?
Re: Medical Science Proves That Speaking In Tongues Is From The Holy Spirit by FOLYKAZE(m): 3:18pm On Apr 25, 2013
I got a professor that can speak more than ten foreign language. Though I can speak three other local language. Please does this implies im filled with the holy spirit? And dont lie, speaking in tongue is of earthly languages.

1 Like

Re: Medical Science Proves That Speaking In Tongues Is From The Holy Spirit by Nobody: 3:30pm On Apr 25, 2013
FOLYKAZE: I got a professor that can speak more than ten foreign language. Though I can speak three other local language. Please does this implies im filled with the holy spirit? And dont lie, speaking in tongue is of earthly languages.
Re: Medical Science Proves That Speaking In Tongues Is From The Holy Spirit by Yooguyz: 3:44pm On Apr 25, 2013
FOLYKAZE: I got a professor that can speak more than ten foreign language. Though I can speak three other local language. Please does this implies im filled with the holy spirit? And dont lie, speaking in tongue is of earthly languages.
No you are not filled with holy ghost.
Sometimes tongues MAY be of earthly language, but most of it is unstructured speech. What makes it supernatural is the ability to speech a language you HAVE NOT learn't before
Re: Medical Science Proves That Speaking In Tongues Is From The Holy Spirit by FOLYKAZE(m): 4:16pm On Apr 25, 2013
Yooguyz:
No you are not filled with holy ghost.
Sometimes tongues MAY be of earthly language, but most of it is unstructured speech. What makes it supernatural is the ability to speech a language you HAVE NOT learn't before

How can someone know something he got no idea of? But I can remember back then when I was a christian, this tongues are interpreted by someone and mostly written down. How can someone write down something he doesn't know or interpret unknown languages?
Re: Medical Science Proves That Speaking In Tongues Is From The Holy Spirit by ooman(m): 5:03pm On Apr 25, 2013
I also love this discovery. It shows that speaking in tongues is true insanity because it is loss of reality and entrance into an illusion as the experiment proves.
Re: Medical Science Proves That Speaking In Tongues Is From The Holy Spirit by Nobody: 5:31pm On Apr 25, 2013
Buh I thought science can't prove or disprove anything relating to God..
Re: Medical Science Proves That Speaking In Tongues Is From The Holy Spirit by Danyell(m): 5:37pm On Apr 25, 2013
Interesting..........
So you mean to say that speaking in tongues is a medical condition.
Re: Medical Science Proves That Speaking In Tongues Is From The Holy Spirit by Yooguyz: 5:46pm On Apr 25, 2013
FOLYKAZE:

How can someone know something he got no idea of? But I can remember back then when I was a christian, this tongues are interpreted by someone and mostly written down. How can someone write down something he doesn't know or interpret unknown languages?
that's precisely what makes it supernatural. The holy ghost gives you the language you speak it by faith!
Don't try to reason it, it's beyond human reasoning!
Re: Medical Science Proves That Speaking In Tongues Is From The Holy Spirit by Yooguyz: 5:50pm On Apr 25, 2013
ooman: I also love this discovery. It shows that speaking in tongues is true insanity because it is loss of reality and entrance into an illusion as the experiment proves.
You may need to carefully re-read the topic and take notice of the boldend in Jesoul's post

(1) (Reply)

"Adam Was A Mythical Figure Who Never Really Lived" / Atheist Quotes Of The Day. / Atheists, Let Us Discuss TWINCEST!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.