Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,656 members, 7,820,287 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:33 PM

How Does One Determine The Model Of A Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Does One Determine The Model Of A Car? (1147 Views)

How To Determine The Age Of A Car Tire (Photos) / Photo:which Would You Pick, The Car Or The Model? / How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does One Determine The Model Of A Car? by african2: 8:58pm On Feb 28, 2008
How does one determine the model of a car? There is thisa honda accord I just bought I dont really know whether it is 94 or 95 or 96 model. But hte dealer keeps calling it 96 model. Nairalanders pls educate me
Re: How Does One Determine The Model Of A Car? by dayleke: 7:48am On Feb 29, 2008
nigerians have got names for all the different kinds of models,but what u are asking about is the year.
Look on the driver's side seat belt,towards the floor.the yr of the car is often there,all u gotta do is add one yr to it.eg,if it says 1995,it should be a 1996.
Good luck. wink
Re: How Does One Determine The Model Of A Car? by debson(m): 9:59am On Feb 29, 2008
The model year also depend on the month of manufacture. Anything before June is still assumed to be for that year e.g. 05/1995 is still 1995 model.
Productions after June are believed to be for the next model year.  cool

Guys selling cars help us out. (Viperman, Midas, Inspire_man)  wink
Re: How Does One Determine The Model Of A Car? by adechuks(m): 1:34pm On Feb 29, 2008
dayleke is quite right.
if the seat belt or the date has been cut off from the driver's side (and i have seen this b4), check the other side.

on a lighter note, when i saw the title of this post, my first response was "Stand for express make the car jam you."
The impact differs from car to car, believe me!
Re: How Does One Determine The Model Of A Car? by Delta007(m): 1:49pm On Feb 29, 2008
The VIN tells u the model. Also, like some folks pointed out, the manufacturing date also gives u an idea.
Re: How Does One Determine The Model Of A Car? by manuelstud: 4:20pm On Feb 29, 2008
grin we nigerians are madly inlove with the various pseudonyms for cars, Honda halla, end of discussion,bullet,bulldog and all that.
but seriously check d seatbelt, VIN number and u will have an idea of the model

No stand for road make car jam you, ooo grin u might no be around to tell the tale wink
Re: How Does One Determine The Model Of A Car? by dayleke: 7:42pm On Feb 29, 2008
@ Debson
yes u are right about the month of yr in which d car is manufactured also being a determining factor.
Re: How Does One Determine The Model Of A Car? by qimpex: 5:34am On Mar 01, 2008
athough, the MM/YY data on the seat belt can be used to decode the year of manufacture of a car, the actual year is determined by the 10th letter of the VIN e.g. JN8DR09Y31W600100 - 10th digit is 1 so this is a 2001 car.JN8AR07S6YW398818 - 10th digit is Y this is a 2000.

i.e X is 1999, Y is 2000,1 is 2001,2 is 2002
Re: How Does One Determine The Model Of A Car? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Feb 20, 2011
@qimpex, thanks for the information about the vin, it is most welcome.
Re: How Does One Determine The Model Of A Car? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Oct 08, 2011
I know this thread is old, but it's beneficial at all times to buyers, and sellers alike.

The VIN (10th digit) tells the year. Previously alphabetical, currently numeric. This is why it is important for ALL sellers to display the VIN for vehicles they post for sale, regardless of it being an import (Tokunbo) or Nigerian used. I still feel Seun should make the VIN mandatory on ALL adverts, with NO exception. I can't understand why this concept is so hard to grasp by everyone.

My personal opinion? No VIN, no advert. These adverts should be deleted.

(1) (Reply)

How Much Should A Nissan Serena Go For? / Camry 02 And Peugot 406 Whice One Is Better / Pictures Of A Car Made Out Of Basket In Ibadan::

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.