Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? (28806 Views)

You Will Not Know A Salvage Car When You See One. / How To Know A Stolen Car When U See It / My Steering Wheel Vibrates At High Speed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by me2me: 5:27pm On Oct 15, 2013
I personally experienced back right tyre blow out on speed of about 130/140 km some donkey years ago and was able to bring the car to a halt without complications (Thank God). In the event that a front tyre suddenly blows out on top speed (God forbid), what is the best way to handle the situation?
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Oct 15, 2013
Composure is the key here. Knowing you have had a blown up tyre yet trying to stay calm while bringing the car to a controlled stop is very very important. When running on high speed and a tyre suddenly blows out, DON'T go any where near your BRAKES and DONT suddenly turn your STEERING WHEEL out of tension or fear. Most people will suddenly slam on their brakes (when a tyre burst, all the weight of the car shifts to that burst thus the car will tend to dive or dip in that direction plus the inertia might forcefully steer the car towards or away that burst tyre violently; slamming on the brakes or suddenly turning the steering wheel Will result to a total loss of traction on one or more tyres, or violent sudden shift in car weight and this could result in loss of control or roll over or a somersault, or violent careering of such car suddenly off the road ultimatly leading to a crash) immediately you experience a burst tyre, that brake should not be touched. Grip the steering wheel firmly and gradually bring the car to your intended direction (on a straight line), gradually take your legs off the accelerator pedal. Keep holding the steering and guiding the direction of the car till it slows down very well then you can finally pull over to the shoulder of the road and stop.

Please at all times ensure you stick to your vehicle manufacturer's recommended tyre specification. Also don't run too fast on roads that you aren't sure of. Maintain equal tyre brands, type and rating on all wheels, plus don't over or under pump your tyres and finally don't use bad, expired or substandard or worn out tyres.

149 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Oct 15, 2013
lomomike has said it all
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by cardoctor(m): 11:48pm On Oct 15, 2013
Also pray that it doesn't happen on a bend.

Car-Doctor.

6 Likes

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 2:37am On Oct 17, 2013
I survived mine miraculosy. I breaked slowly and parked. Wow didn't know breaking was such a bad idea.

Thank God.

2 Likes

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by adanny01(m): 9:30am On Oct 17, 2013
Thats why i place my very best tyre in the front driver's side.

If that one gets blown on high speed with an opposite approaching car, it will drag you towards the left lane in the path approacing car. You may not be able to control the car in a straight direction. If you forcefully veer right, a spin or somersoult is eminent. If the appraoch driver is not vigilant, a collision is eminent.

Always make sure the driver's side front tyre is in perfect condition. I prefer to veer to the bush than to an appraching car on any speed.

A blown tyre is worst on an SUV or truck. My friend was lucky to have climbed the median when his front driver's side tyre blew out on his Toyota Tacoma.

4 Likes

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by DisGuy: 10:11am On Oct 17, 2013
Thats why i place my very best tyre in the front driver's side.

why not place four 'best' tyres ALL the time

11 Likes

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Sermwell(m): 2:34pm On Oct 17, 2013
Y

1 Like

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by DICKtator: 2:36pm On Oct 17, 2013
Jump outta the moving car and roll on the floor!!!

grin grin grin grin

13 Likes

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by vinkolo: 2:36pm On Oct 17, 2013
You start praying
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by QMark: 2:36pm On Oct 17, 2013
lomomike: Composure is the key here. Knowing you have had a blown up tyre yet trying to stay calm while bringing the car to a controlled stop is very very important. When running on high speed and a tyre suddenly blows out, DON'T go any where near your BRAKES and DONT suddenly turn your STEERING WHEEL out of tension or fear. Most people will suddenly slam on their brakes (when a tyre burst, all the weight of the car shifts to that burst thus the car will tend to dive or dip in that direction plus the inertia might forcefully steer the car towards or away that burst tyre violently; slamming on the brakes or suddenly turning the steering wheel Will result to a total loss of traction on one or more tyres, or violent sudden shift in car weight and this could result in loss of control or roll over or a somersault, or violent careering of such car suddenly off the road ultimatly leading to a crash) immediately you experience a burst tyre, that brake should not be touched. Grip the steering wheel firmly and gradually bring the car to your intended direction (on a straight line), gradually take your legs off the accelerator pedal. Keep holding the steering and guiding the direction of the car till it slows down very well then you can finally pull over to the shoulder of the road and stop.

Please at all times ensure you stick to your vehicle manufacturer's recommended tyre specification. Also don't run too fast on roads that you aren't sure of. Maintain equal tyre brands, type and rating on all wheels, plus don't over or under pump your tyres and finally don't use bad, expired or substandard or worn out tyres.

100likes

4 Likes

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by moscobabs(m): 2:37pm On Oct 17, 2013
na wa ooo....so any topic can make front page sa!!!
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Lilimax(f): 2:38pm On Oct 17, 2013
lomomike: Composure is the key here. Knowing you have had a blown up tyre yet trying to stay calm while bringing the car to a controlled stop is very very important. When running on high speed and a tyre suddenly blows out, DON'T go any where near your BRAKES and DONT suddenly turn your STEERING WHEEL out of tension or fear. Most people will suddenly slam on their brakes (when a tyre burst, all the weight of the car shifts to that burst thus the car will tend to dive or dip in that direction plus the inertia might forcefully steer the car towards or away that burst tyre violently; slamming on the brakes or suddenly turning the steering wheel Will result to a total loss of traction on one or more tyres, or violent sudden shift in car weight and this could result in loss of control or roll over or a somersault, or violent careering of such car suddenly off the road ultimatly leading to a crash) immediately you experience a burst tyre, that brake should not be touched. Grip the steering wheel firmly and gradually bring the car to your intended direction (on a straight line), gradually take your legs off the accelerator pedal. Keep holding the steering and guiding the direction of the car till it slows down very well then you can finally pull over to the shoulder of the road and stop.

Quite informative. Thanks for sharing smiley
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by 9jahubcom(m): 2:38pm On Oct 17, 2013
car-doctor:
Also pray that it doesn't happen on a bend.

Car-Doctor.
yes oh
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by elari(m): 2:39pm On Oct 17, 2013
when on speed your clucth should be ur best bet before thinking of brake.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 2:39pm On Oct 17, 2013
In addition to lolomike's advice, don't begin to shout "Jesus! Jesus!" as it could result to heart-attack. Have control of the car then you can thank God later. 8-)

10 Likes

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Sllowppoisoon: 2:39pm On Oct 17, 2013
lipsrsealed
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Jelo4kul(m): 2:39pm On Oct 17, 2013
You asked ur own question,,oya is time 4 me to ask mine. How dis one take make frontpage abeg?
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by mykhel995: 2:40pm On Oct 17, 2013
moscobabs: na wa ooo....so any topic can make front page sa!!!

You're such a bitter individual. Pray to God for a car and stop coming online with your bitterness.

23 Likes

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by yunglykmine(m): 2:41pm On Oct 17, 2013
Simple.
Make your horn louder to avoid killing pedestrians.

Thank me later.

3 Likes

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by iphoneloaded(m): 2:43pm On Oct 17, 2013

Thank you
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by babseg(m): 2:47pm On Oct 17, 2013
I think you can also use your gear to slow your vehicle down. eg if you are on high gear say 5. you can bring it to 4 3 2 and 1. without using the breaks

3 Likes

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 2:49pm On Oct 17, 2013
Shout "blood of JESUS" grin

1 Like

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Trachea: 2:51pm On Oct 17, 2013
AVOID THE BRAKES, HOLD FIRMLY TO THE STEERING WHEEL. There are no 2 ways about it. it has happened to me twice before. Also avoid speeding when the temperature is very high. That was what i noticed the 2 times it happened to me.

2 Likes

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by hardbody: 2:54pm On Oct 17, 2013
The back tyre of my SUV exploded on the last stretch to Agbor from Onitsha, i honestly do not remember how i managed to pull the vehicle over to the extreme right lane (it is a dual carriageway anyways) but one thing is sure, it is so easy to say, do not go near the brakes in the event of a blow out, but sincerely speaking, i do not recall whether i immediately remembered not to match on the brakes or not, i however recall holding firmly onto the steering and after a bitter struggle, manouvered off the road. The most interesting thing to me was that not even vehicles behind me cared to stop, they saw the accident, and simply drove on.

I have since learnt that you are always on your own in matters of life and death. I could not change the spare, so i paid some guys painting the road demarcation to bike into Agbor town, get a vulcanizer who came and changed the spare and i drove on safely into Lagos. To God be the Glory.

In all, I pray it never happens either to me again or to my enemy. I often shudder to think of it happening while descending a hill, crossing all those bridges with no railings, etc

Na God hand we dey sha

11 Likes

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by jodeci(m): 2:54pm On Oct 17, 2013
Slamming the brakes oftentimes is reflexive and in split seconds the damage is effected.
Abstaining from applying brake is only possible of the driver is conscious.

4 Likes

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nasri100(m): 2:54pm On Oct 17, 2013
Dunno where you are running to

2 Likes

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by RealAlfranco: 2:57pm On Oct 17, 2013
All dis people saying 'Composure is Key' dnt knw wassup?..when dis things happen,it'll startle u 2 da point where u wnt remember a word like 'COMPOSURE' even exists!!

6 Likes

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by ukandi1(m): 2:57pm On Oct 17, 2013
Remove ur leg from the accelerator, hold d steering very firm and keep straight. Never engage d breaks till d swerving and dancing is reduced. Don't forget to call upon God. Gradually, d speed slows down , then engage d high geer that is geer 1. D final jerking would pull d car to a glorious stop devoid of bridges, trenches , oncoming vehicles , and middle road concrete casting that seperates d lanes. God first cos no expertise is enough.

5 Likes

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Policewoman(f): 2:59pm On Oct 17, 2013
me2me: I personally experienced back right tyre blow out on speed of about 130/140 km some donkey years ago and was able to bring the car to a halt without complications (Thank God). In the event that a front tyre suddenly blows out on top speed (God forbid), what is the best way to handle the situation?
Make sure you don't apply the brakes abruptly cos the car could flip over on high speed. Simply try and control the steering to get to a safe point while placing your foot off the accelerator and gradually braking.
Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by dejavume: 3:00pm On Oct 17, 2013
moscobabs: na wa ooo....so any topic can make front page sa!!!
U MUST B A SADDIST!!!!!

2 Likes

Re: How Does One Control A Car When Front Tyre Blows Out On High Speed? by Nobody: 3:00pm On Oct 17, 2013
When I was traveling to Ondo 2months ago, the car right in front of me had its back tyre bust, luckily for the dude who made a very wrong decision to press the break immediately the car didn't sommasault, he was lucky that he wasn't on top speed, he would have implicated us as well.

It was my first time of driving myself to Ondo..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is The Law On Overtaking Police Convoy? Was I Wrong? / Traffic Road Signs / 6 Reasons Your Car Consumes More Fuel Than Normal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.