Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,118 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:34 PM

inter-tribal union - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / inter-tribal union (1655 Views)

Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage / Advantages And Disadvantages Of Inter-tribal Marriage / Inter-tribal Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

inter-tribal union by Nobody: 6:53pm On Jan 16, 2013
we have dated for over two years. now we want to move to the next level and her family are adamant she must marry an Igbo man because she is the first daughter. Am so confused.

Pls how do we get around this hurdle? she is from Anambra and i am from Benue
Re: inter-tribal union by EzePromoe: 6:55pm On Jan 16, 2013
It's a big lie! Maybe since you mentioned Benue, they concluded that you're Hausa. The common Igboman (that hasn't travelled out) thinks that anything coming from the north is Hausa. But its not their fault, when their relatives' corpse are being brought back home from the North on daily basis. They feel that their daughter is likely to face the same fate. If it's a man from South South, they will accept him (if him get money o)
Re: inter-tribal union by Nobody: 7:12pm On Jan 16, 2013
Oko_AGB: we have dated for over two years. now we want to move to the next level and her family are adamant she must marry an Igbo man because she is the first daughter. Am so confused.

Naturalise...you,ll be granted Anambra citizenship..change your name from idibia to okonkwo and the matter is settled.
Re: inter-tribal union by Abagworo(m): 11:41pm On Jan 16, 2013
Oko_AGB: we have dated for over two years. now we want to move to the next level and her family are adamant she must marry an Igbo man because she is the first daughter. Am so confused.

It is very likely an Igbo family outside the East. I have noticed a kind of secluding tendency among diasporan Igbos and it is rather a good thing. "Ada ejila ala na mba".

2 Likes

Re: inter-tribal union by oturugo(m): 1:21am On Jan 17, 2013
You hardly see any Igboman complaining about other groups not permitting him marry from them. Why does fools always come here crying about Igbo this and that.
Anyway, since you people can not produce marriageable girls, Ndigbo will forever resist all the uncircumcised lots from marrying their daughters. I can't believe that it is Igbo that God has blessed with good women. Am sorry to you lots.

2 Likes

Re: inter-tribal union by NRIPRIEST(m): 3:03am On Jan 17, 2013
In a core Igbo family setting the first girl is viewed as the pride of her family and she is suppose to set a good example for others,hence the emphasis on marrying from your own people. Nevertheless,I have seen some first girls who married from other tribes. Note; the first girls are the real "Ada" na eli ukwu anu and they control a lot of respect in the family.
Re: inter-tribal union by tpia5: 8:25am On Jan 26, 2013
i heard the same.

@ last sentence.
Re: inter-tribal union by Blyss: 6:44pm On Jan 26, 2013
That's not true. My wife is her parents first daughter, and they were more than happy to marry her off to me. smiley
Re: inter-tribal union by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jan 27, 2013
Abagworo:

It is very likely an Igbo family outside the East. I have noticed a kind of secluding tendency among diasporan Igbos and it is rather a good thing. "Ada ejila ala na mba".

yeah you are right about that.

NRI PRIEST: In a core Igbo family setting the first girl is viewed as the pride of her family and she is suppose to set a good example for others,hence the emphasis on marrying from your own people.

you mean marrying from another tribe is a bad example?

@ aturugo grow up kid tongue
Re: inter-tribal union by SAFO(m): 1:10pm On Jan 29, 2013
Blyss: That's not true. My wife is her parents first daughter, and they were more than happy to marry her off to me. smiley

Yes and we see how that turned out tongue
Re: inter-tribal union by Blyss: 6:30pm On Jan 29, 2013
SAFO:

Yes and we see how that turned out tongue

It turned out very well. We are happily married with 2 kids, and her parents brag about me to their friends. grin My wife's sister, their parents only other child, is also married to a very nice black-american young man, who their parents were also happy to marry off their daughter to. grin So myth is busted on this one, Ace.
Re: inter-tribal union by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:39pm On Jan 29, 2013
Oko_AGB:

you mean marrying from another tribe is a bad example?

@ aturugo grow up kid tongue

ofcourse it is a bad thing! we dont want the tribe to go extinct or become a half-bred akata tribe! angry
Re: inter-tribal union by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jan 29, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

ofcourse it is a bad thing! we dont want the tribe to go extinct or become a half-bred akata tribe! angry

the tribe is not complaining cool
Re: inter-tribal union by odumchi: 5:08am On Jan 30, 2013
Eze Promoe: It's a big lie! Maybe since you mentioned Benue, they concluded that you're Hausa. The common Igboman (that hasn't travelled out) thinks that anything coming from the north is Hausa. But its not their fault, when their relatives' corpse are being brought back home from the North on daily basis. They feel that their daughter is likely to face the same fate. If it's a man from South South, they will accept him (if him get money o)

I wouldn't necessarily say that Igbo people think of Benue people as Hausa. Come to think of it, there isn't much difference between an average Nsuka man and an average southern Benue Idoma man. In fact, many of the communities in southern Benue along the Benue-Enugu border are Igbo-speaking, and vise-versa. If the South's boundaries were redrawn, I think it should include Benue.

NRI PRIEST: In a core Igbo family setting the first girl is viewed as the pride of her family and she is suppose to set a good example for others,hence the emphasis on marrying from your own people. Nevertheless,I have seen some first girls who married from other tribes. Note; the first girls are the real "Ada" na eli ukwu anu and they control a lot of respect in the family.

Kpom kwem.

In an Igbo household, the oldest daughter has her fair share of responsibility. She and the okwara (first son) are expected to become the leaders of their household.

1 Like

Re: inter-tribal union by EzePromoe: 6:49am On Jan 30, 2013
odumchi:

I wouldn't necessarily say that Igbo people think of Benue people as Hausa. Come to think of it, there isn't much difference between an average Nsuka man and an average southern Benue Idoma man. In fact, many of the communities in southern Benue along the Benue-Enugu border are Igbo-speaking, and vise-versa. If the South's boundaries were redrawn, I think it should include Benue.
Maybe its only Enugu and Anambra people may know this fact. But here in the South, the layman thinks them to be Hausa/Fulani, and that may be the same case with the parents of this lady.
Re: inter-tribal union by EzePromoe: 6:52am On Jan 30, 2013
odumchi:

Kpom kwem.

In an Igbo household, the oldest daughter has her fair share of responsibility. She and the okwara (first son) are expected to become the leaders of their household.
Re: inter-tribal union by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:03pm On Jan 30, 2013
Oko_AGB:

the tribe is not complaining cool

you are not the entire tribe. this is basic tribal law. it is not dictated by individuals.
Re: inter-tribal union by rhemal: 12:38pm On Mar 25, 2013

well,that is a big lie.I am the Ada of my family married to Yoruba.Almost 5 years of marriage with 3 kids and my husband is considered the best in-law in the family.I am not bragging.
Re: inter-tribal union by Nobody: 7:53pm On Mar 25, 2013
rhemal:

well,that is a big lie.I am the Ada of my family married to Yoruba.Almost 5 years of marriage with 3 kids and my husband is considered the best in-law in the family.I am not bragging.

That is nice to know. Thanks for sharing. Anyway, things have fallen apart about a month ago. She said she won't go against her family's decision. So no point continuing the relationship.
Re: inter-tribal union by Agrika: 10:37am On Apr 09, 2013
You couldnt blame them, a typical anambra family will frown at the thought of thier daughter marrying a non-anambra igbo not to talk of a non-igbo, my advice to you is to make "friends" with some of her relatives preferably uncles, and they might put in a good word for you.
Re: inter-tribal union by Afam4eva(m): 3:56pm On Apr 09, 2013
odumchi:

You're right. But i think the keyword here is "Average Igbo".
Re: inter-tribal union by Nobody: 8:54pm On Apr 09, 2013
Afam4eva:
You're right. But i think the keyword here is "Average Igbo".

which category do u fall into? average igboman or otherwise.
Re: inter-tribal union by Malawian(m): 3:05pm On Apr 11, 2013
when God was creating languages and tribes, was he foolish? everybody should marry from his tribe jare. it is even an old jewish custom to marry from your tribe only. i am just hearing about this "first daughter must marry igbo" here for the first time sha.
Re: inter-tribal union by Nobody: 5:54pm On Apr 11, 2013
Malawian: when God was creating languages and tribes, was he foolish? everybody should marry from his tribe jare. it is even an old jewish custom to marry from your tribe only. i am just hearing about this "first daughter must marry igbo" here for the first time sha.

Whatever rocks ur ego. make una carry-on
Re: inter-tribal union by Malawian(m): 9:30pm On Apr 11, 2013
Oko_AGB:

Whatever rocks ur ego. make una carry-on
arent both your parents from the same tribe? what are you looking for in another tribe? why dont you go to cameroon to look for wife?

(1) (Reply)

Ladies Only: The Virtuous Woman / Why Are Igbo People Fond Of The Name:Boniface? / Why Do Nigerians Criticize Everything?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.