Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,225 members, 7,957,520 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 02:03 PM

Is Catfish Smoking Business Profitable? - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Is Catfish Smoking Business Profitable? (6271 Views)

A-z Of Catfish Smoking Business and types of fish smoking kiln / How To Start And Grow A Profitable Plantain Flour Business In Nigeria / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Catfish Smoking Business Profitable? by integrityfood: 4:56pm On Jan 17, 2013
Please I want to start catfish smoking business. I need proper training and expert advise on the business. Is it profitable? how much is the cost of 1kg fish now and what is the likely profit margin? What is the best way to dry it and how much do I need to commence with? pls help with information. my contact is 08025669642 or integrityfood@gmail.com
Re: Is Catfish Smoking Business Profitable? by integrityfood: 6:28pm On Jan 18, 2013
Pls all cat fish farmers in the house, am serious, pls help with vital infor on this topic. How do I start cat fish smoking business? I also need fresh fist. thanks
Re: Is Catfish Smoking Business Profitable? by ndioyem: 12:19pm On Jan 21, 2013
Hello. Head straight to "growcatfish dot com/forum" now. You will find more than enough answer to your question. As a matter of fact, you can get the expert advice, necessary training, buy fresh and sell your product completely for free on that site. Wish you the best. or call 08051196087
Re: Is Catfish Smoking Business Profitable? by dapix: 5:32pm On Jan 21, 2013
most definately, far better than selling it fresh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Is Catfish Smoking Business Profitable? by integrityfood: 2:41pm On May 16, 2013
dapix: most definately, far better than selling it fresh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there market for it? any help pls??
Re: Is Catfish Smoking Business Profitable? by robonski15(m): 2:37pm On Jun 24, 2013
There are steady markets for smoked fish..
Re: Is Catfish Smoking Business Profitable? by fm7070: 12:43pm On Aug 13, 2014
My major concern is the large market for the smoked fish.
I want to do it big time. I can be smoking up to 1000 fishes monthly.
Re: Is Catfish Smoking Business Profitable? by umunnatim(m): 6:43pm On Aug 14, 2014
I am interested in knowing more about this business
Re: Is Catfish Smoking Business Profitable? by koxyz: 1:57pm On Aug 15, 2014
integrityfood: Please I want to start catfish smoking business. I need proper training and expert advise on the business. Is it profitable? how much is the cost of 1kg fish now and what is the likely profit margin? What is the best way to dry it and how much do I need to commence with? pls help with information. my contact is 08025669642 or integrityfood@gmail.com
Get yourself trained by someone who is into the business and making money from it.This will make you understand the intricacies of the business. The training is highly important ,please don't be deceived.
Re: Is Catfish Smoking Business Profitable? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Aug 17, 2014
I once opened a thread for this. The following is what I posted:

In summary, it involves buying catfish,
processing and smoke drying it, packaging it in a branded polythene pack, and distributing it to supermarkets, retail outlets and the likes.

You will need a fish smoke/drying machine for this purpose. You can get a good one capable of drying 200 fishes per batch for N300,000.

To make your product more presentable, you will need a nafdac approval which is about N(30 to 50),000.

A kilogram of catfish at farms is about N600. It will cost you less than N100 to process and package it. You can sell it to supermarkets at N900 who in turn sell it to dia customers at N1,000.

In summary, u will be making an average of
N150 profit per fish. Assuming you process and sell 400 fish per week, you will be making an average of N240, 000 per month.

If you have a place to use as your factory or a compound to construct a shed for your
machine, you can start the business with about N500,000. This will get you a nafdac reg, a business name reg, smoking and sealing machine, and more than 100 catfish.
Note: Supermarkets will not pay you
immediately initially. You have to drop d
products and collect your money whenever its sold. But when your product becomes hotcake, they can even pay u in advance to supply them.

Their is a huge market for hygienically smoked fish abroad, but you can hardly meet the market demand in the country talk less of exporting.

Questions wia asked, and answers wia provided. You can visit the thread hia www.nairaland.com/1788936/short-report-how-start-cat-fish#24341641

2 Likes

Re: Is Catfish Smoking Business Profitable? by Oviesiri1: 7:34pm On Sep 22, 2023
If am to start the business how many fishes will I get from 30kg. Here in warri a kg of fish is 1200 and so if I buy 30kg how many fishes per piece will I get from it.

(1) (Reply)

If You Need Help To Buy Goods From Kano Call 07033871071 / Lagos To Empower 2,743 Farmers In Its Agricultural VCE Programme / Attn: Poultry Farmers. Pls What Chemicals Can Be Used To Control Odour

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.