Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,639 members, 7,823,809 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:46 PM

How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns (10420 Views)

Dos And Don'ts When Playing With You Newborns- Baby Care / Ebola Victims Now Stable, Five Showing Signs Of Recovery - Fashola / Urine Therapy - Perfect Cure for all Sickness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by solomto(f): 11:21am On Jan 18, 2013
Instructions

Evaluate his appetite. The most noticeable sign of sickness in a newborn is the lack of appetite. If something is wrong, babies will usually stop eating and refuse any food. Projectile or forceful vomiting is also another reason to be concerned.

Consider his behavior. Your newborn's behavior is another indicator of sickness. Is he more tired than usual? Is he very sleepy and hard to wake up? Also, an extremely irritable or inconsolable baby is also a sign of sickness. If any of these symptoms persist for a longer amount of time than usual, you should be concerned.

Take the baby's temperature. Any fever of higher than 100 degrees Fahrenheit warrants a call to the doctor. Your baby's immune system is still immature and any fever should alert you to contact the doctor for an evaluation.

Review your baby's elimination pattern. Consider if your baby is constipated or if she has diarrhea. If your newborn is crying while trying to poop or does not poop for a few days or longer than usual, then you should be concerned. Excessive diarrhea can also indicate a sick baby.

Check your baby's breathing. If she is struggling to breathe, coughing, very congested or choking on excessive mucus, you should contact your pediatrician. You will see the chest move up and down, but when the baby is struggling to breathe, this will looked labored and be very hard for the baby.

Evaluate your baby's skin color. A sick newborn may be flushed and have extremely red cheeks or have very pale skin. If the baby's skin is yellow, this may be a sign of jaundice and blue skin may mean that the baby is not getting enough oxygen. If any of these symptoms occur, you should contact a health care provider immediately.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2311602_spot-signs-sickness-newborns.html

13 Likes

Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by Nobody: 5:10pm On Jan 18, 2013
Shouldn't they be asked to wait behind for like a day or too anyway?
Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by victorD3: 5:12pm On Jan 18, 2013
Smart post
Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by sunkoye: 5:12pm On Jan 18, 2013
many tnx
Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by ReLaTE(m): 5:14pm On Jan 18, 2013
one of my colleague was discussing abt this issue wt me yesterday concerning his childs illness and his main concern was that a child couldnt talk or say where his/her problem is.
This is a good topic and I hv learnt smtin frm it,nw I can be able to monitor my childs condition to know wen he's ill.

2 Likes

Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by driand(m): 5:17pm On Jan 18, 2013
nice to be on front page, ma barbie's inconsolable.... ?
Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by solomto(f): 5:19pm On Jan 18, 2013
@moderator
tnks for d editing.
Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by firestar(f): 5:21pm On Jan 18, 2013
Very informative! smiley
Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by Monichilly(f): 5:22pm On Jan 18, 2013
Nice post
Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by Trueigbo: 5:24pm On Jan 18, 2013
good one
Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by kingboy(m): 5:32pm On Jan 18, 2013
very nice and inspiring topic( a child that can not tell where and when its the problem).....parents should keep this on the tablet of their heart.
its worrisome that the number of comment is low on an issue as sensitive as this but if its romance,sport and money matters we will be talking about the 4th to 5th page by now.
God bless you madam for the brief

2 Likes

Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by sulaimon99(m): 5:38pm On Jan 18, 2013
may GOD grant us healthy babies and caring wives ...amin..

1 Like

Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by chidyke77(m): 5:42pm On Jan 18, 2013
Very informative....tnk u for the post.
Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by santakris(m): 5:46pm On Jan 18, 2013
The colour of ur baby's eyes should also be monitored. If the eyes looks yellows ur child may be suffering from jaundice. See a doctor immediately.
Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jan 18, 2013
nice tips, very enlightening
Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by Onyinyechimara(f): 6:13pm On Jan 18, 2013
santakris: The colour of ur baby's eyes should also be monitored. If the eyes looks yellows ur child may be suffering from jaundice. See a doctor immediately.

Yup.....be on the alert for this one in newborns especially before it crosses the blood brain barrier and the child will become Dundee United
Detecting this in older children- implications are not as critical as in newborns

Can also see it in the skin too

Check around the umbilical cord every day for redness or discharge due to infection (even in Africans ) till it drys up and falls off
Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by Sijo01(f): 6:15pm On Jan 18, 2013
*observing Junior*
Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by Biggoozz: 6:19pm On Jan 18, 2013
@ Op I have a 5moths old I love to bits, you can only imagine how you made my day. Many thanks!
Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by Biggoozz: 6:33pm On Jan 18, 2013
I will also advice couples to register with BabyCenter once the woman takes in, they will become a daily life coach to the parents on the development, birth and growth of the child till he is I guess 6 years old. Yesterday they send me a mail that by now my boy should be sitting up, the next thing I saw was a picture of him in a press-up position from my wife, I was thrilled to say the least. They are amazing!
Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by Nobody: 6:52pm On Jan 18, 2013
sulaimon99: may GOD grant us healthy babies and caring wives ...amin..

Yessss... Caring wives ! Very important.
Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by babanne(m): 7:00pm On Jan 18, 2013
Biggoozz: I will also advice couples to register with BabyCenter once the woman takes in, they will become a daily life coach to the parents on the development, birth and growth of the child till he is I guess 6 years old. Yesterday they send me a mail that by now my boy should be sitting up, the next thing I saw was a picture of him in a press-up position from my wife, I was thrilled to say the least. They are amazing!
nice one.i wil go 2 d site & register cos wify is 4/5 pregy
Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by vanstanzy(m): 7:23pm On Jan 18, 2013
solomto: Instructions

Evaluate his appetite. The most noticeable sign of sickness in a newborn is the lack of appetite. If something is wrong, babies will usually stop eating and refuse any food. Projectile or forceful vomiting is also another reason to be concerned.

Consider his behavior. Your newborn's behavior is another indicator of sickness. Is he more tired than usual? Is he very sleepy and hard to wake up? Also, an extremely irritable or inconsolable baby is also a sign of sickness. If any of these symptoms persist for a longer amount of time than usual, you should be concerned.

Take the baby's temperature. Any fever of higher than 100 degrees Fahrenheit warrants a call to the doctor. Your baby's immune system is still immature and any fever should alert you to contact the doctor for an evaluation.

Review your baby's elimination pattern. Consider if your baby is constipated or if she has diarrhea. If your newborn is crying while trying to poop or does not poop for a few days or longer than usual, then you should be concerned. Excessive diarrhea can also indicate a sick baby.

Check your baby's breathing. If she is struggling to breathe, coughing, very congested or choking on excessive mucus, you should contact your pediatrician. You will see the chest move up and down, but when the baby is struggling to breathe, this will looked labored and be very hard for the baby.

Evaluate your baby's skin color. A sick newborn may be flushed and have extremely red cheeks or have very pale skin. If the baby's skin is yellow, this may be a sign of jaundice and blue skin may mean that the baby is not getting enough oxygen. If any of these symptoms occur, you should contact a health care provider immediately.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2311602_spot-signs-sickness-newborns.html

Thanks cutie! wink
Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jan 18, 2013
yea, babycenter is a great site both for pregnant n nursing mothers. It really helped me to get along n wat to xpect @ every month.i wil recommend it to any mom interested.
Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by Morgan1092(m): 7:39pm On Jan 18, 2013
Nice post
Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by Morgan1092(m): 7:42pm On Jan 18, 2013
vanstanzy:

Thanks cutie! wink
Why quoting d whole thread jst 2 say dis? Mtchewwwww
Re: How To Spot Signs Of Sickness In Newborns by vanstanzy(m): 7:49pm On Jan 18, 2013
Morgan1092: Why quoting d whole thread jst 2 say dis? Mtchewwwww

O mehn, not again! undecided undecidedClearly i wasn't talking to u. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

(1) (2) (Reply)

Resident Doctors Suspend Nationwide Strike / Effects Of Bitters(alomo, Osomo,muscle ) / Nls Check This Out!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.