Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,448 members, 7,823,060 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:51 PM

Building A Better And Understanding Ummah - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Building A Better And Understanding Ummah (649 Views)

Understanding The Hajj Stampede / Women Who Wear Hijab Can Have A Better Body Image, Study Says / Sallah Greetings to all Nairaland Muslim Ummah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Building A Better And Understanding Ummah by justaqad(m): 8:33am On Jan 19, 2013
Salam Alaykum..

wow feels good coming back, though i have always been a regular on nairaland,but as a guest.i am struggling with the right words to convey my emotions.i am a convinced Muslim,but not a practicing one since i relocated up North.while i was still at P.H i am a very active in dawah.i have never lost faith, but not just practicing Islam,due to reasons not far fetched.

1.pursuit of success/wealth.
i am in my early 20's and i have had my fair share of adversity,but Alhamdulillahi my today is better than yesterday.sincerely i feel i am taking another route to my destiny.i feel like i am running from something which i am yet to decipher.

2.Environment
i grew up in a predominantly Christian environment,my mom was a Christian.my best friend,friends are Christians.i left my hood in search of greener pastures.relocated up north.(yeah yeah,north mostly Muslim)but i am supposed to be in the company of God fearing Muslims right?but my residence is the opposite,the few Muslims around are either ignorant or fanatics,i don't mingle with such.i cant find my type,i am so engrossed in fulfilling my desires.No friend to caution,Advice,recommend and pulled back when i make too many mistakes regarding my deen.i lack good Muslim company.every time i speak with my parents, they always leave this resounding command reverberating my body(make sure you don't skip salat and be good to people) OOOOOo would be my immediate response.

3. Work
my job is time consuming.i leave for work as early as 5a.m to be back by 7:30 most times 8p.m.mon to sat.(hmmmm)

3.Emotion.
i am very emotional.when in love i give everything except my Deen.(lol)i have been in and out of relationships,i would say my religious affiliation is a major block.have never dated a muslim.looking forward to anyway.

the above outlined is what i observed deterring me from being a practical Muslim.and i have thought of possible solutions.

i came up with the idea of organizing kinda a youth forum in local mosque where i would be active again,but my job again does not permit such leisure.
i thought of gathering some Muslims within my vicinity for weekly get together,for enlightenment,but i don't have time and don't know much people around here.
so i resorted to nairaland,since the world has gone techno crazy,to know if anyone living close to my vicinity would volunteer to be part of this group in building a better and understanding ummah.

i reside at Masaka Nassarawa State.
justaqad@gmail.com is my email address for contact..

P.s...... recommendation,scolding,insults,criticism are all welcome... looking forward to a better Muslim ummah

Salam..
Re: Building A Better And Understanding Ummah by tbaba1234: 9:38am On Jan 19, 2013
Wa aleikum salam

what do you mean by not practising Islam? Does that mean that you miss your salat??

If you are a convinced muslim, You have no reason not to say your salat.... The messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) said that the link between belief and disbelief is his or her neglect of prayer.[Muslim].

Now this is a serious issue as you have no Iman if you do not pray...

You have no excuse not to pray.... I do not believe any of your reasons listed, because i believe Allah:

“Allah does not burden a soul beyond that it can bear…” (Qur’an, 2:286).

“Allaah does not want to place you in difficulty, but He wants to purify you, and to complete His Favour to you that you may be thankful”

[al-Maa'idah 5:6]

Allah promises us that He has not given us a burden greater than that which we can bear...

If Allah gives us salat, It means we can bear it.... If surgeons and really busy people can pray... What excuse do you have?

The root of the problem is a failure in Iman... Every other thing is just a symptom ...

1. Pursuit of wealth: Allah says:

"Say: If your fathers, your sons, your brothers, your wives, your kindred, the wealth that you have gained, the commerce in which you fear a decline, and the dwellings in which you delight, are more beloved to you than Allah and His Messenger, and striving in His Cause, then wait until Allah executes His Decision (torment). And Allah guides not the people who are rebellious (disobedient to Allah)." [Surah al-Tawbah, 24]

"Your wealth and your children are only a trial (fitnah). And Allah - With Him is a great reward (Paradise)." [Surah al-Taghabun, 15]

2. Calling muslims ignorant or fanatics indicates to me a sense of self-righteousness. Sometimes, the problems lies within us... Can you describe what a fanatic is? Have you heard their views on issues or do you judge from the way they dress or look?

If a muslim is 'ignorant'... does that mean you run away from him? or help him? what exactly do you mean by the term ignorant.?

mingle with 'such' Is that how you call muslims? such??

SubhanAllah, May Allah protect us...

3. Not an excuse.... Find a place to pray at work.... Build a schedule that works and stick to it. Allah gives you provision and you can not spend 25 mins in a day to pray.

4. Getting into haram relationships outside marriage is not going to help your cause of getting closer to Allah. Focus on building your relationship with Allah. Every other thing will come.

By getting into these relationships, you are disobeying a command from Allah.

In Surah maidah, Allah says (rough translation):

Today all good things have been made lawful for you. The food of the People of the Book is lawful for you as your food is lawful for them. So are chaste, believing, women as well as chaste women of the people who were given the Scripture before you, as long as you have given them their bride-gifts and married them, not taking them as lovers or secret mistresses. The deeds of anyone who rejects faith will come to nothing, and in the Hereafter he will be one of the losers. (Surah 5:5)

Also in Surah Nisa

If any of you does not have the means to marry a believing free woman, then marry a believing slave– God knows best [the depth of] your faith: you are [all] part of the same family – so marry them with their people’s consent and their proper bride-gifts. [Make them] married women, not adulteresses or lovers..... (Surah 4:25)

Like I said, earlier, Fix the disease... Look for ways to build your Iman.... Salah will be a natural consequence even if you have to crawl to say it...
Re: Building A Better And Understanding Ummah by justaqad(m): 12:28pm On Jan 19, 2013
tbaba1234: Wa aleikum salam

what do you mean by not practising Islam? Does that mean that you miss your salat??
Salam Alaykum tbaba,my whole note is self explanatory.... yes i miss SALAT.

tbaba1234:
If you are a convinced muslim, You have no reason not to say your salat.... The messenger (peace and blessings be upon him) said that the link between belief and disbelief is his or her neglect of prayer.[Muslim].
No doubt i am a convinced muslim,just skipping salat
tbaba1234:
Allah promises us that He has not given us a burden greater than that which we can bear...

If Allah gives us salat, It means we can bear it.... If surgeons and really busy people can pray... What excuse do you have?
i outlined my possible excuses...
tbaba1234:
2. Calling muslims ignorant or fanatics indicates to me a sense of self-righteousness. Sometimes, the problems lies within us... Can you describe what a fanatic is? Have you heard their views on issues or do you judge from the way they dress or look?
fanatic is the suitable word i come come up with.when someone is justifying the senseless,barbaric and un-quran(dont know if such word exist grin) tactics of boko haram and other islamic terror.(yes i call such person fanatic)when you dissociate yourself from the non-muslims because one uztaz said" (yes i calls such people fanatics),when you abhor the presence of women,(yes i call such person fanatics)

tbaba1234:
If a muslim is 'ignorant'... does that mean you run away from him? or help him? what exactly do you mean by the term ignorant.?
ignorant is when you believe everything your imam or uztaz tells you without consulting the quran.when you shut your mind to other people's opinion and believe what you believe is the best.few days ago,had chat with a muslim friend,he was telling me,if Allah bless him like Atiku,he will marry more than 20 wives. i told him islam permits maximum number of 4 wives according to the quran.he looked at me with a fiery eye,he never believed me.still beating his chest untill i calmed him down with (Quran 4:3).

tbaba1234:
mingle with 'such' Is that how you call muslims? such??

when someone is bent on not listening or believing you if with proof from the quran.i dont mingle with such.

tbaba1234:
Like I said, earlier, Fix the disease... Look for ways to build your Iman.... Salah will be a natural consequence even if you have to crawl to say it...

Tbaba i believe you read my post with an open mind? if i am not ready to fix my iman i wont bother coming here.....
Re: Building A Better And Understanding Ummah by tbaba1234: 2:27pm On Jan 19, 2013
justaqad:
Salam Alaykum tbaba,my whole note is self explanatory.... yes i miss SALAT.

No doubt i am a convinced muslim,just skipping salat
i outlined my possible excuses...

Wa aleikum Salam, I am been very blunt with you because you need to understand that there are no excuses... Zero... Particularly when it comes to salat...

You do not seem to understand the gravity of 'Just skipping Salat'... It is a 'serious , serious' matter.... I don't know if you understand how serious it is.

The key to change is to start doing....

Giving excuses is a way to feel better about yourself.... Build your day around your salat and DO IT>>>>

Your conviction about Islam is demonstrated with action.... Throughout the the Quran... Allah says (roughly translated): Those who believe and work righteous deeds....

It is not enough to say i believe and fail to exhibit....

fanatic is the suitable word i come come up with.when someone is justifying the senseless,barbaric and un-quran(dont know if such word exist ) tactics of boko haram and other islamic terror.(yes i call such person fanatic)when you dissociate yourself from the non-muslims because one uztaz said" (yes i calls such people fanatics),when you abhor the presence of women,(yes i call such person fanatics).

ignorant is when you believe everything your imam or uztaz tells you without consulting the quran.when you shut your mind to other people's opinion and believe what you believe is the best.few days ago,had chat with a muslim friend,he was telling me,if Allah bless him like Atiku,he will marry more than 20 wives. i told him islam permits maximum number of 4 wives according to the quran.he looked at me with a fiery eye,he never believed me.still beating his chest untill i calmed him down with (Quran 4:3).

I still see an element of self righteousness here...

You see correcting people, you consider ignorant could an excuse before your master.

Allah talks about Jews that broke the sabbath by fishing and records the conversation between two sets of muslims that were observing the sabbath... One group did not want to correct the erring group, the other saw it as an opportunity to gain favour from their master and be free from blame.

how, when some of them asked [their preachers], ‘Why do you bother preaching to people God will destroy, or at least punish severely?’ [the preachers] answered, ‘In order to be free from your Lord’s blame, and so that they may perhaps take heed.’(surah 7:164)

One party did not want to give advice but the other gave advice so that there will be free of blame. Allah would ask you about the people you failed to advice when they were going astray. It does not matter whether they listen to you or not...

As muslims, we must be willing to advice one other and speak a word that would go into the hearts... Your word can change someone. The person you advised on polygamy might not get married to more than 4 wives if the opportunity presents itself and be passing on that one ayah, you would gain a reward.

So see it as a mercy of Allah that you can present a person with a good word, rather than labeling people ignorant.

Tbaba i believe you read my post with an open mind? if i am not ready to fix my iman i wont bother coming here.....

The key to changing is doing.... Pray your salat anytime, anywhere...

Build a connection with Allah's book..

May Allah keep us on His straight path...
Re: Building A Better And Understanding Ummah by justaqad(m): 3:30pm On Jan 19, 2013
tbaba1234:

Wa aleikum Salam, I am been very blunt with you because you need to understand that there are no excuses... Zero... Particularly when it comes to salat...

You do not seem to understand the gravity of 'Just skipping Salat'... It is a 'serious , serious' matter.... I don't know if you understand how serious it is.

The key to change is to start doing....

Giving excuses is a way to feel better about yourself.... Build your day around your salat and DO IT>>>>

Your conviction about Islam is demonstrated with action.... Throughout the the Quran... Allah says (roughly translated): Those who believe and work righteous deeds....

It is not enough to say i believe and fail to exhibit....

I still see an element of self righteousness here...

You see correcting people, you consider ignorant could an excuse before your master.

Allah talks about Jews that broke the sabbath by fishing and records the conversation between two sets of muslims that were observing the sabbath... One group did not want to correct the erring group, the other saw it as an opportunity to gain favour from their master and be free from blame.

how, when some of them asked [their preachers], ‘Why do you bother preaching to people God will destroy, or at least punish severely?’ [the preachers] answered, ‘In order to be free from your Lord’s blame, and so that they may perhaps take heed.’(surah 7:164)

One party did not want to give advice but the other gave advice so that there will be free of blame. Allah would ask you about the people you failed to advice when they were going astray. It does not matter whether they listen to you or not...

As muslims, we must be willing to advice one other and speak a word that would go into the hearts... Your word can change someone. The person you advised on polygamy might not get married to more than 4 wives if the opportunity presents itself and be passing on that one ayah, you would gain a reward.

So see it as a mercy of Allah that you can present a person with a good word, rather than labeling people ignorant.

The key to changing is doing.... Pray your salat anytime, anywhere...

Build a connection with Allah's book..

May Allah keep us on His straight path...

ameen. your words are soothing.
i pray for the zeal to overcome this sudden laziness. thank you once again.
i have an issue i would like to thrash out with you.possibly i could create another thread for it.
Re: Building A Better And Understanding Ummah by hadbak: 6:24am On Jan 21, 2013
Salaam.. Since ur work comsumes most of ur time, I don't know if u can fine this helpful. MCAN usually organises Ta'alims every sundays(morning) atended by corpers, Ex-corpers n Non-corpers in all states which I'm sure Nassarawa isn't an exception for people who r interested in Islamic knowledge or who r after working on their Imaan. It usually does not take more than two hours, not sure of d time doe but you can enquire on that. They discuss a lot of interesting topics, questions n answer sections, sisters n brothers week amonge oda, they are even involved in rural daawah...I believe with these u will come across brothers who will be willing to asist you in shaa Allah..may Allah make it easy, ameen
Re: Building A Better And Understanding Ummah by justaqad(m): 6:09pm On Jan 22, 2013
hadbak: Salaam.. Since ur work comsumes most of ur time, I don't know if u can fine this helpful. MCAN usually organises Ta'alims every sundays(morning) atended by corpers, Ex-corpers n Non-corpers in all states which I'm sure Nassarawa isn't an exception for people who r interested in Islamic knowledge or who r after working on their Imaan. It usually does not take more than two hours, not sure of d time doe but you can enquire on that. They discuss a lot of interesting topics, questions n answer sections, sisters n brothers week amonge oda, they are even involved in rural daawah...I believe with these u will come across brothers who will be willing to asist you in shaa Allah..may Allah make it easy, ameen

Thanks for your concern.how do I contact them?
Re: Building A Better And Understanding Ummah by hadbak: 2:24am On Jan 23, 2013
^^ I really can't say but I know meeting corpers around whr u live shdnt b dificult.corper r in every corner. Jst look around, in shaa Allah u wil fine some1 who wil help u get to dem. May Allah make it easy for u, ameen.

(1) (Reply)

The Man Who Entered Jannah First - Ramadan Reminder / Nigerian Named World Muslimah Beauty Queen / Biography Of Some Salaf

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.