Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,229 members, 7,818,773 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:27 AM

Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine (9461 Views)

Her Blood Is Not On My Hands - The Travails Of A Nigerian Medical Doctor / X / Traditional Medicine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Iyaniwura123: 7:44am On Jan 20, 2013
Nigerian medical students should gear up for a new course: traditional medicine.

For years, the practitioners of herbal/traditional/alternative medicine have lobbied the government and it seems their efforts have paid off. The Federal Minister of Health, Professor Onyebuchi Chukwu has said that the health ministry has already started the process of incorporating traditional medicine practice into the medical school curriculum.

The Minister also pointed out that the official recognition and full integration of herbal medicine into the curriculum will allow herbal practitioners to get the very best of expert knowledge in the medical schools. He also stated that equal opportunities will be given to all the stakeholders of the health industry in Nigeria.

Please like Iyaniwura on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/iyaniwurablog

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/chukwu-medical-students-to-study-traditional-medicine/136578/

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Walexz02(m): 8:37am On Jan 20, 2013
It will be better if they can introduce on traditional medicine in our Unis or better stil to streghten the collegs that teaches this couses(I heard there is 1 in oyo),but adding it to medical student corriculum will be a burden to them(they are already doing alot of work in school).
Anyhow anyhow, it is a good move, the earlier we realise the gooddies in our own traditio the better...

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Afam4eva(m): 8:46am On Jan 20, 2013
This is what we're supposed to be doing...looking inwards.
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by REMMEI(m): 9:03am On Jan 20, 2013
I am not a medical student but i will like any medical students to voice their opinion about this new development..i hope this won't plus another year to their already seven years in school..we all read about what happened at IMSU few days back..I hope this won't make the medical students spend more extra years in school though..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by dnawah(m): 8:54pm On Jan 20, 2013
They are about to kick some people out business,like this"hey u are not educated u don't have to practice o!"
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Nobody: 7:43am On Jan 21, 2013
dnawah: They are about to kick some people out business,like this"hey u are not educated u don't have to practice o!"
in developed countries there are schools and college that offer courses in alternative medicine.they have the title ND in front of their names.
Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine
(ND or in Arizona "Naturopathic
Medical Doctor" or NMD ), in 16 U.S.
states and six Canadian provinces
refers exclusively to a medical degree
granted by an accredited naturopathic
medical school .[1] While these
degrees may be held by people
outside of these states and provinces,
in most other jurisdictions, the terms
are unprotected and may be used by
anyone, regardless of educational
level. Practitioners who hold such a
degree may also legally use the title
'doctor' in certain jurisdictions, but
not in others. Equivalent professional
titles may be reserved for ND/NMDs in
other jurisdictions (Naturopathic
Doctor, Naturopathic Physician,
Naturopath), or there may be no
legally protected title. This article
discusses the accredited North
American degree.
Those holding the accredited North
America degrees generally practice as
primary care providers of
naturopathic medicine. Naturopathic
medicine employs complementary
and alternative medical therapies
within the context of mainstream
medicine, which claim to help
improve the body's intrinsic ability to
heal and maintain itself. [2]
Practitioners of naturopathic medicine
prefer to use natural remedies such
as botanical tinctures/medicinal herbs
and foods rather than synthetic drugs.
Naturopathic medical practice includes
many different modalities.
Practitioners emphasize a holistic
approach to patient care, and may
recommend that patients use
conventional medicine . en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_of_Naturopathic_Medicine

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Nobody: 7:48am On Jan 21, 2013
Traditional medicine should be introduced in medical school.it helps doctor to specialize in it and do research on herbs.however medical curriculum should be restructured.
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Libkid(m): 12:44pm On Jan 21, 2013
Gr8 idea.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by babarazy: 12:45pm On Jan 21, 2013
Abeg se dem go teach us how to do ritual money? #just asking o
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by drnoel: 12:45pm On Jan 21, 2013
REMMEI: I am not a medical student but i will like any medical students to voice their opinion about this new development..i hope this won't plus another year to their already seven years in school..we all read about what happened at IMSU few days back..I hope this won't make the medical students spend more extra years in school though..
I think its a cool idea, although I won't be affected but its nice to also look inwards..
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jan 21, 2013
I just saw two big-arse DHL trucks. Now go 'head and ban me, see if I care.
#PyguruSucksMajorArse
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Okijajuju1(m): 12:50pm On Jan 21, 2013

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Originalsly: 1:09pm On Jan 21, 2013
Hmmm...good and bad.I think it is a great idea but the two should not mix. Either the students learn hmmm...Western or traditional medicines....can't be a Jack of all trades. More schools should be set up to teach Traditional medicines. After all...the traditional cures while the Western controls only.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jan 21, 2013
LMAO ! Okija u no go kill me with laughter o
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by sureboykris(m): 1:14pm On Jan 21, 2013
He is just talking for talking sake. They should finish developing orthodox medicine. Talk is cheap
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Kaxmytex(m): 1:17pm On Jan 21, 2013
U mean vewi soon herbalist no go scarce again...
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by taharqa: 1:22pm On Jan 21, 2013
Great Move Min...
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jan 21, 2013
Nothing new, we already have SEVERAL qualified experts grin grin grin.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jan 21, 2013
Lol, seriously, this is going to be interesting...

A few years from now, you could go to the doctor and complain that you have a headache. He'll open his drawer and bring out a traditional scanner (cowrie shells grin). Consult the thing and inform you that your neighbour from the village is responsible grin.

Isn't that advancement? Afterall the oyibos can't do that. We'll soon be having transfer students from the US & UK comming over to study our Traditional Medicine.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Nobody: 2:01pm On Jan 21, 2013
So doctors go dey consult oracle now? Wow the praction go mek sense now
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by elpatch(m): 2:21pm On Jan 21, 2013
I hope the fed govt will buy more dialysis machines and establish renal transplant units.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by kelvin1191(m): 2:22pm On Jan 21, 2013
Hmmm! Cant stop laughing. Imagine according some1 dat spent 7yrs in the university with "ND" . . . .(Native Doctor) as same with my grandpa dat av neva being 2 schl all his life.... Just throwing some cola 4 d gods

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Namiad(m): 2:27pm On Jan 21, 2013
Richfella: Lol, seriously, this is going to be interesting...

A few years from now, you could go to the doctor and complain that you have a headache. He'll open his drawer and bring out a traditional scanner (cowrie shells grin). Consult the thing and inform you that your neighbour from the village is responsible grin.

Isn't that advancement? Afterall the oyibos can't do that. We'll soon be having transfer students from the US & UK comming over to study our Traditional Medicine.
free advice;dnt let illetracy riun ur life..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Tolexander: 2:38pm On Jan 21, 2013
We pharmacy student no gat wahala/with that. We have been studying traditional medicine tey tey no be yesterday self. We call it babalawo in PHARMACOGNOSY.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by lonamy: 2:44pm On Jan 21, 2013
So, this is how we want to initiate all NIgeria Doctor to the occultic world.
There are some traditional medicine that needs the consultation of spiritual world before something will happen.

I pity Nigerian medical students, they will soon start to dine with demons. They will become Babalawo just like that. I will totally discourage my children from planning to study medicine. There are engineering jobs that better pay off than medicine.
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Prettychyna(f): 2:50pm On Jan 21, 2013
Na wa o for naija. These ones will turn to jack of all trade master of none. Why not introduce it as a course on its own so you are either a traditional doctor or modern Doctor instead of adding to an already tedious one. These docs sure don't want competition of any kind. Dem no wan carry last. You just can't have it all.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Nobody: 3:01pm On Jan 21, 2013
I no dey study. angry angry
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jan 21, 2013
So they will use garium tetraoxosulphate (iv) decahydrate water to treat hyperacidity intestinal congestion
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Hoodrat(m): 3:08pm On Jan 21, 2013
Now we talking this is the best thing we can do to advance and save the mankind ,Natural herbs the way to go even europen are startnig to understand chemical medication ruin health.
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by malignant1: 3:31pm On Jan 21, 2013
There is no problem with that. So far they regulate their traditional herbal practice. Their herbal concortions must be standardised with appropriate dosages.
Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by chreldb(m): 3:41pm On Jan 21, 2013
Good step in the right direction. There are a lot of herbal remedies to common diseases afflicting Nigerians inherited from one generation to the next. It is a good thing that medics will now be taking a look at those herbal therapies. It would enable them elucidate the scientific mechanisms which behind those herbal therapies. And it would also strengthen the study of pharmacognosy that is already taking place.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Medical Students To Study Traditional Medicine by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jan 21, 2013
Seems what i sensed might happen...

Check out this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/1127372/herbal-medicine-alternative-medicine-versus

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Smoking Cigarette Can Destroy Your Sense Of Taste / Foods That Increase Sperm Count • / COVID-19: Over 118,000 Cases In Africa, 48,000 Recoveries & 3,500 Deaths

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.