Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,116 members, 7,953,434 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:08 PM

Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri (10871 Views)

A Brief Historical Origin Of Ibillo Community In Edo State / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / The Origin Of The Igbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jan 22, 2013
It is supposedly derogatory but the origin isn't really.
I spent a lot of my long vacations in the north of Nigeria growing up and asked questions about this word and this is what my relatives told me.

In northern Nigeria,it was common to see Hausas selling water on the streets,I saw that a lot in Jos.
They carried the containers tied to a wooden bar they hung on their necks

Igbos would yell out " Onye mmiri" which means " the one selling water" in order to attract the attention of the water seller
My family member had an eatery and we had an Onye Mmiri that came daily to fill up the container
Then the word Onye Mmiri i was told now became what they called their buyers and because of language,they called it Nyamiri which was the way it sounded to them.
The buyer called the seller Onye Mmiri,the seller called him nyamiri and with time Igbos and Easterners in general became known as Nyamiri.

This is a fascinating story,at least I was fascinated by it when I heard it.
It reminds me of how the word gay,an English word that is a synonym for happy has come to mean what it is not.
There are people named Gay,it sounds strange now when you hear it because of the metamorphosis the word has taken.
Interesting isn't it?

Who else has heard this story?

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Odunnu: 4:56pm On Jan 22, 2013
Heard the story too. It didnt begin from your generation though.
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 5:02pm On Jan 22, 2013
Odunnu: Heard the story too. It didnt begin from your generation though.

I hope I didn't give that impression
No it didn't start with my generation
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jan 22, 2013
i heard another version of the story. can't remember who told me but i was told during the war, igbos were seen begging for water from the hausas. I mean igbos who were still in the north during the war. the igbos would ask* nye m mmiri*. which means* give me water*.

4 Likes

Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Dede1(m): 5:13pm On Jan 22, 2013
berem: i heard another version of the story. can't remember who told me but i was told during the war, igbos were seen begging for water from the hausas. I mean igbos who were still in the north during the war. the igbos would ask* nye m mmiri*. which means* give me water*.

Please, do not start any unfounded crap. Ndigbo never begged anything from anybody in Nigeria. Which Igbo person was begging water in northern region before talk less during civil war?

3 Likes

Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Dede1(m): 5:16pm On Jan 22, 2013
Besides the British, most indigenous people of northern region looked upon Igbo as special creatures. BabyOsisi’s plank of the story is very truthful and the one that made rounds in my ears.
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by azpekuliar: 5:35pm On Jan 22, 2013
berem: i heard another version of the story. can't remember who told me but i was told during the war, igbos were seen begging for water from the hausas. I mean igbos who were still in the north during the war. the igbos would ask* nye m mmiri*. which means* give me water*.

This is the version I know. I do not know where the OP got her own version from.

4 Likes

Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jan 22, 2013
Dede1:

Please, do not start any unfounded crap. Ndigbo never begged anything from anybody in Nigeria. Which Igbo person was begging water in northern region before talk less during civil war?
err,oga i was just saying what i was told. you don't need to be angry. wetu o obi o? grin

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Odunnu: 5:39pm On Jan 22, 2013
LMAO
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by bokohalal(m): 5:40pm On Jan 22, 2013

Correct version but it was before the civil war.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Geomac: 5:46pm On Jan 22, 2013

I know you are Igbo. You are 100% correct.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Ichel: 5:48pm On Jan 22, 2013
WTF is this. Hw will this change fuel prize?

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Geomac: 5:48pm On Jan 22, 2013
Dede1:

I thought you know much about your history? Go and read more sir. berem is 100% right.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 5:49pm On Jan 22, 2013
bokohalal:

Oh before the civil war? wow! what must have prompted them to ask for water ? any historian in the house should please tell us.
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Geomac: 5:50pm On Jan 22, 2013
bokohalal:

+1000
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by PROUDIGBO(m): 5:52pm On Jan 22, 2013
Well i don't know for sure about the origins of 'nyamiri', but i do know that Igbos call Hausa water carriers 'Aboki-me-rua'; right from my secondary school days in Igboland (Onitsha) this is how we refer to them.....how much more up in Ugwu-awusa, where we all know Igbos are quite adept in blending in and speaking the local language.

The version of the origin of 'nyamiri' i've heard is not as cute as the OPs own, and has its origins in the civil war.

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jan 22, 2013
bokohalal:

Before the war Igbos were the principals in virtually all the schools in the north
They were the teachers too
The were the railway and municipal workers
I had and still have some family in the north
They dominated every area of government because northerners did not go to school that much and still don't
My own husband was born and bred in the north and speaks Hausa like a native
This fact is recorded in virtually all civil war literature out there
Hausas were menial workers and did chores like fetch water and wood
Even today the average Igbo or southerner in the north is better off educationally and financially than his host
So what could have prompted Igbos to beg for water before the civil war ?
Under what circumstances?

Explain

1 Like

Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jan 22, 2013
Geomac:

I thought you know much about your history? Go and read more sir. berem is 100% right.

Where do we read that
Care to share
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Afam4eva(m): 5:59pm On Jan 22, 2013
This is the version that i heard. Though i don't know if it's the real version.
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 6:01pm On Jan 22, 2013
Where are the Hausas on nairaland?
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Tolexander: 6:06pm On Jan 22, 2013
ya! This is the best and most truthful rational behind the reason. At least it sounds and blends with the environmental circumstance of the name and issue that warranted it.
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by chosen04(f): 6:07pm On Jan 22, 2013
berem: Oh before the civil war? wow! what must have prompted them to ask for water ? any historian in the house should please tell us.

They were asking for water as visitors to ugwu-awusa NOT begging.......

In Igbo land those days, its known that you cant deny a visitor the courtesy of giving him/her water when they ask......Thus, Igbos believing that Ndi-awusas welcomes visitors like them, therefore asked for water from their host only to be rewarded with the derogatory name of NYAMIRI.
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jan 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
This is the version that i heard. Though i don't know if it's the real version.
maybe Google will help. 'off to Google. com '
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Odunnu: 6:11pm On Jan 22, 2013
babyosisi: Where are the Hausas on nairaland?
Proudly one!
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Odunnu: 6:13pm On Jan 22, 2013
chosen04:

In Igbo land those days, its known that you cant deny a visitor the courtesy of giving him/her water when they ask......Thus, Igbos believing that Ndi-awusas welcomes visitors like them, therefore asked for water from their host only to be rewarded with the derogatory name of NYAMIRI.
What is derogatory in Nyamiri or Aboki for that matter

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Afam4eva(m): 6:13pm On Jan 22, 2013
Odunnu:
Proudly one!
Odi egwu.
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 6:13pm On Jan 22, 2013
chosen04:

Sounds incredible
How many strangers have come begging you for water?
Remember there were public wind up mono pumps in the 40s and 50s built by colonial masters
Not that I was there but there are pictures of them
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 6:14pm On Jan 22, 2013
Odunnu:
What is derogatory in Nyamiri or Aboki for that matter

Or even ofenmanu and Okoro
They are not that bad IMHO
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Odunnu: 6:14pm On Jan 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
Odi egwu.
What?!
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Afam4eva(m): 6:15pm On Jan 22, 2013
Odunnu:
What?!
Are you no longer from Bayelsa or Oyo again?
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Odunnu: 6:20pm On Jan 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
Are you no longer from Bayelsa or Oyo again?
Proudly Nigerian! Whichever one I choose, I can defend with supporting documents.
Re: Origin Of Why Hausas Call Igbos Nyamiri by Nobody: 6:22pm On Jan 22, 2013
Nyamiri is a confirmed derogatory word from what i read in Google. whatever the case maybe, it doesn't stop igbos from being what they are. am proud to be a nwada igbo. cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Japanese Names & African Names / What Is The Percent Of Non-hausa Speaking Fulanis That Only Speak Fulfulde / What Languages Do You Speak?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.