Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,660 members, 7,823,873 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

Akunyili Blames BON For AFCON 2013 TV Rights Controversy - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Akunyili Blames BON For AFCON 2013 TV Rights Controversy (553 Views)

Nigerians Blame Sunday Oliseh For Nigeria's Failure To Qualify For AFCON 2017 / EPL New TV Rights Deal Will Kill Global Football (Opinion) / CAF Blames BON For AFCON TV Blackout (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Akunyili Blames BON For AFCON 2013 TV Rights Controversy by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jan 22, 2013
A former Minister of information, Dora Akunyili, on Tuesday blasted officials of the Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria saying they were to blame for Nigerians not being able to view live matches of the African Cup of Nations, AFCON 2013.
Mrs. Akunyili said it was painful that many Nigerians could not watch the live telecast of the ongoing Nations Cup.
Speaking in Abeokuta, the Ogun State Capital, the former minister said that the Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria, BON, was to blame for not doing its job well.
“My heart bleeds when I realise that many Nigerians couldn’t watch a match we took part in. Yes, a few people watched it through DSTV, but how many people have it.
“Most Nigerians do not have DSTV, so we are cheated of our own match,” she said.
She said that BON should have begun negotiations earlier and not weeks to the tournament.
“I found it very painful and I believe somehow BON did not do their job,” she said. “The negotiation should have started months before, not just before the match.”
“We are in a free market system internationally. The world cannot be waiting for us. But you know the Nigerian thing; people will wait until the last minute and look at what has happened to us.
“I pray that this does not happen again in our lifetime,” Mrs. Akunyili added.
Re: Akunyili Blames BON For AFCON 2013 TV Rights Controversy by hrmkz: 9:21pm On Jan 22, 2013
Excuse!!!

(1) (Reply)

Odemwingie Defends Deadline Drama / Super Eagles Will Not Stop Disappoiting Us / AFCON 2013: Nigerians In Mali Team

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.