Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,536 members, 7,819,918 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:39 AM

Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? (3560 Views)

Please Any Remedy For Stammering / HERBS For Permanent Cure For STAMMERING/STUTTERING / Stammering Is Killing Me - I Can't Even Talk To A Woman - Please Advice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by hahaha2(m): 4:25am On Mar 04, 2008
I really need some help with my stutter, before it jeopardizes my career, because its really starting to get out of hand now.
The worst part of my stutter is that when a gisting, yabbing, toasting babes or just chilling am 98% fluent, but then when i need to pass some serious information across that fluency rockets down to about 30%. i start repeating words, and stuttering badly.
So u can imagine how hard an oral examination will be for me, the written tests aint no prob, but the interviews are reallly tough for me. Up till now have got jobs based on my technical expertise, but obviously in he future i will need to get jobs which require more Oral than technical skills, and i feel i will total in the respect.

So please if u got any help on this please feel free, to share the info, thanks a bunch guys.
I no the nairaland medical team is up to the task.
Re: Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by ifyalways(f): 9:04pm On Mar 04, 2008
You might have to visit a speech language pathologist.
i have heard abt a book too,it wud be of help to you.its called 'Comprehensive Stuttering Therapy .you can get it at bookworm bookshop or any other good bookshop in nigeria.
goodluck

I really dont think there is a cure yet for stammering but it can be effectively managed and controlled.
Re: Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by hahaha2(m): 1:30am On Mar 05, 2008
thanks a lot sis will check it out
Re: Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by naijaking1: 4:47am On Mar 05, 2008
You will need a combination of breathing excersise, practice, and relaxation as you go through this phase.
Re: Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by Mortiple(m): 5:38pm On Mar 05, 2008
Re: Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by TOYOSI20(f): 11:09pm On Mar 05, 2008
@ Poster

Sorry u are going through this, but most stutterers I know have outgrown their

condition, not completely though but u probably can't tell that they once were stutterers.

I did a little research and found out that majority of individuals who stutter have

become successful in careers that require public speaking, such as acting, so u need not worry.

with a lot of practice and therapy u will be just fine. And also when u are speaking try not to get too excited, be calm and confident.

I believe the Links Mortiple pasted would be very much of help.

Best wishes.
Re: Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by mukina2: 11:17pm On Mar 05, 2008
There is no cure jo .

when i was small . one old woman said they must give me water to drink using a small bell grin i drank with it daily . i got worst worst worst grin

As i got older it minimised . i only talk very fast and only stammer when am angry . embarassed words go missing tongue
Re: Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by hahaha2(m): 1:37am On Mar 06, 2008
@ Mortiple thanks a lot for the mortiple links u posted got some valuable invaluable info from there

TOYOSI20
Sorry u are going through this
Thanks a lot for your concern but u don't need to feel sorry for me.

most stutterers I know have outgrown their condition
Oh!! how i wish i was one of em.

naijaking1
You will need a combination of breathing excersise, practice, and relaxation as you go through this phase.

Heard Yoga can help me achieve that what do you think?

mukina2
When i was small . one old woman said they must give me water to drink using a small bell Grin i drank with it daily . i got worst worst worst Grin
Cmon tell me you are joking.
Re: Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by Nobody: 1:52am On Mar 06, 2008
hahaha, :

I really need some help with my stutter, before it jeopardizes my career, because its really starting to get out of hand now.
The worst part of my stutter is that when a gisting, yabbing, toasting babes or just chilling am 98% fluent, but then when i need to pass some serious information across that fluency rockets down to about 30%. i start repeating words, and stuttering badly.
So u can imagine how hard an oral examination will be for me, the written tests aint no prob, but the interviews are reallly tough for me. Up till now have got jobs based on my technical expertise, but obviously in he future i will need to get jobs which require more Oral than technical skills, and i feel i will total in the respect.

So please if u got any help on this please feel free, to share the info, thanks a bunch guys.
I no the nairaland medical team is up to the task.

ifyalways gave you the best advice.
A well trained speech therapist/pathologist can teach you voice control and breathing methods that can totally eliminate your stuttering in public.
It may interest you to note that there are some very fluent and "influential" speakers today like Benny Hinn and Suze Orman that were born with severe speech impediment .
It can be controlled and I wish you the best.

now that I mentioned Benny Hinn,I hope some people won't snatch out their braids cool
Re: Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by choco4life(m): 10:14pm On Mar 06, 2008
ifyalways:

You might have to visit a speech language pathologist.
i have heard about a book too,it would be of help to you.its called 'Comprehensive Stuttering Therapy .you can get it at bookworm bookshop or any other good bookshop in nigeria.
goodluck

I really don't think there is a cure yet for stammering but it can be effectively managed and controlled.

couldn't say it better.
Re: Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by hahaha2(m): 6:49am On Mar 07, 2008
I dont know of any credible speech therapists in naija.

i have heard about a book too,it would be of help to you.its called 'Comprehensive Stuttering Therapy .you can get it at bookworm bookshop or any other good bookshop in nigeria.
goodluck
i was thinking of a cure more in the practical sense, the book should help me better understand my condition, but not necessarily cure my stutter.
Re: Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by efuah(f): 1:14pm On Mar 07, 2008
Sing all da time.
Re: Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by nikkygal(f): 2:10pm On Mar 07, 2008
[i][/i] I can tell you from my experience that i was once a stammerer and as a female, it was even more embarrassing for me cos most times I'll be scared of expressing myself in the midst of people so that they don't make jest of me.

One way i overcame mine was by being slow to speak and co-ordinate my thoughts properly on what to say before actually saying them out. Thisworked for me a lot and it has helped my elder brother too cos his condition was even worse than mine but he took a cue from me and it worked greatly for him too.  grin cheesy cheesy

Also try to control your temper and minimise loosing your cool as this always aggravates stammering,  embarassed embarassed

My 2 cents,  :  kiss kiss
Re: Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by ifyalways(f): 7:01pm On Mar 07, 2008
hahaha, :

I don't know of any credible speech therapists in naija.i was thinking of a cure more in the practical sense, the book should help me better understand my condition, but not necessarily cure my stutter.
a list of some of the speech therapists in 9ja :
Dr adetokumbo Adeobla
amino kano teaching hospital.+2348037024536
Dr anthonia Udueze
ebonyi state teaching hospital.(+234) 43 221882, (+234) 43 300700
Dr Peter Babatunde Olaitan
Ladole Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH) Teaching Hospital
234-80-8360-9292
Dr. M.O. Ogunlew
Consultant Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon
Lagos University Teaching Hospital
+234802-307-1444
you are quite wrong abt the book you know,its meant to give you a day to day help and guide on how to handle your situation better.its more of a pratical daily guide.whatever,goodluck dear. kiss
Re: Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by TOYOSI20(f): 9:14pm On Mar 07, 2008
nikkygal:

[i][/i] I can tell you from my experience that i was once a stammerer and as a female, it was even more embarrassing for me because most times I'll be scared of expressing myself in the midst of people so that they don't make jest of me.

One way i overcame mine was by being slow to speak and co-ordinate my thoughts properly on what to say before actually saying them out. Thisworked for me a lot and it has helped my elder brother too because his condition was even worse than mine but he took a cue from me and it worked greatly for him too. grin cheesy cheesy

Also try to control your temper and minimise loosing your cool as this always aggravates stammering, embarassed embarassed

My 2 cents, : kiss kiss

Nice to hear from someone with a first hand experience. cool
Re: Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by hahaha2(m): 4:26pm On Mar 08, 2008
Sorry guys for not replying your posts earlier was ocupado.

efuah
Sing all da time.
lmao grin grin grin. Trust me people will prefer to hear me stutter than sing.

nikkygal
being slow to speak and co-ordinate my thoughts properly on what to say before actually saying them out.
Tried that its just that everytime i restart the statement i get stuck at the same place, for instance yesterday i was chatting some babe 98% fluency(Not important disscusion), it was all good was just flowing and all, but then like 30mins later am at my broker's place trying to give a buy or sell order,and i can get up to 2 words out of my mouth with almost ripping the air of my head, no matter how hard i tried to relax and restart my sentences, i just kept on getting stuck and stuttering badly.

ifyalways:
you are quite wrong about the book you know,its meant to give you a day to day help and guide on how to handle your situation better.its more of a pratical daily guide.whatever,goodluck dear. kiss
Thanks a lot Ify seems like u got real extensive knowledge on stuttering, thanks a lot for numbers will summon some courage and time to call em'up, anyway was just wondering if u cud hook me up with Comprehensive Stuttering Therapy book grin smiley grin will really appreciate it, was reading excerpts from the book Online seems the author really knows what he is talking bout.

TOYOSI20
Nice to hear from someone with a first hand experience. cool
Yeah
Re: Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by Nobody: 11:55pm On Mar 12, 2008
hahaha, :

i was chatting some babe 98% fluency(Not important disscusion), it was all good was just flowing and all, but then like 30mins later am at my broker's place trying to give a buy or sell order,and i can get up to 2 words out of my mouth with almost ripping the air of my head, no matter how hard i tried to relax and restart my sentences, i just kept on getting stuck and stuttering badly.

Maybe you should keep the babe then. grin
She seems to make your stutter go out the window fiam!

Wish you the best.
Re: Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by cashoggy(f): 2:06pm On Apr 14, 2008
efuah:

Sing all da time.

Yes nah, when stammerers sing it flows. I had a clasmate way back in secondary school. He stammered like mad but whenever he sang it was hitch-free! We used to wonder why it was like that.

hahaha, :

lmao grin grin grin. Trust me people will prefer to hear me stutter than sing.

Shuo? Tell me, how is singing with you? Just curious,
Re: Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by MP007(m): 3:39pm On Apr 14, 2008
speak slowly and gently,
Re: Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by MP007(m): 3:40pm On Apr 14, 2008
speak slowly and gently, consult a speech therapist
Re: Is There Any Cure For Stammering/stuttering? by Beebsyn(m): 4:15pm On Apr 14, 2008
guy, the best solution to you problem is to see 'a speech therapist' to lecture you on what to do.

(1) (Reply)

Medicinal Health Benefits Of Incense, Agarbatti And Dhoop Sticks / Cost Of Removing A Teeth / Cost Of Liposuction Surgery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.